The Epidemic - Book one

By thestoryteller123

We stopped running and took cover behind a run down building. I turned to Cal and he was laughing. I knew one... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Six

76 5 0
By thestoryteller123

I awoke to loud whispering again. Outside my door I heard people talking. I sat up and almost screamed but I caught myself. Cal was sleeping at the bottom of my bed. He was dressed in his newer clothes.

Awww he looked so cute when he is asleep but I really have to pee. I slowly eased out of the bed, as to not wake Cal. He stirred in his sleep. I slowly creeped to the door and opened it slowly. I made my way to the bathroom. I finished using it and got out. That's when I heard my parents talking again. They were in the room next to me and Cal. Ellie and Gabe were in the third room next to there's.

" This is crazy ! " My mother whispered loudly.

" I know but we need to get somewhere safe. I talked to Robert again tonight he was in such a bad state because Bella is going to die tonight. He is going to shoot her before she turn . It should only be a couple more hours, she only had a little scratch but it only takes a little cut to the skin. " My father answered back.

" Whatever this is I don't think their letting anybody out of here, that's why they closed the border and the bridge was in total chaos. This might as well be under quarantine " My mother retorted.

" I just want all of you to be safe no matter what, and now I have two new kids in my care. " Dad said with a hint of concern.

" Yes we do, I don't think Ellie's parents are alive if they went to the airport then they got caught in all of the evacuation traffic. " Mom said sadly. I heard someone cough loudly which made me jump, I turned around and it was Cal of corse.

" Why'd you scare me like that ? " I whispered yelled and smacked his arm lightly. He grabbed his arm and fake cried. What a drama boy.

" I didn't scare you I just coughed maybe if you weren't spying on your parents you wouldn't be scared. " He said back giving me a sleepy smile.

" Why are you up any way ? " I asked walking closer to him.

" Couldn't sleep, nightmares. " He said looking me in my eye. I knew what he was talking about. I awoke from a nightmare of the group running from the infected there were to many to count. We were running and I was in the lead. Then the group fell in a hole trap thing. Dad was holding on to the edge and everybody was holding on to him. I reached down to help them and try to pull them up. But just as my hand brushed his, the infected came up from the hole they were dangling from and grabbed them and dragged them down and I was left on the ground, but now the infected had caught up to me and I tried to move but my legs were paralyzed, and then they ate me, then I awoke.

" Wow " He said stunned.

" I just said that out loud didn't I ? " I said looking at him. He nodded and hugged me I returned it.

" Do you want to tell me about your dream ? " I said looking up at him.

" No, maybe later " He said turning away.

" Okay when ever your ready Cally " I said which got me a small smile. I leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. When I heard someone clearing their throat in front of us. We jumped apart. I turned around and there was my mom standing there by her and dads door.

" Hey mom " I said awkwardly.

" Can I talk to you in the room ? Please " She said pointing a finger at me and the room in which me and Calvin slept. I turned to Cal who gave me a sympathetic look, like he could save me anyway. I followed her into the room and shut the door. I turned to her and forced a smile.

" What do want to talk about ? " I said straightening the bed covers. It's not like I needed to. I just needed something to do to avoid her eye contact.

" You and Calvin " She said I could tell she was frowning. I sat down on the bed and sighed.

" I know you guys like each other and I'm glad you have a boyfriend, but I don't think this is the time for a romance. " She said sitting down next to me.

" Mom please don't tell me how to run my life. " I huffed.

" I'm just trying to protect you " she shot back worried.

" I know what your saying but mom we could all be dead tomorrow god for bid and I just want to cherish this one moment. " I said back.

" Viv you don't know what your getting into. " She said her voice rising.

" Mom you don't know anything of what I'm feeling " I yelled Getting off the bed.

" Yes I do you like him and he likes you but it's puppy love darling. " she said simply as she brushed her shirt off.

" It's not like that mom...I think I - " I was cut off by my father barging in the room.

" We have a problem " He said and me and mom looked at each other and followed him out of the room. We all met up in the living room, Cal was tying Ellie's shoes. Gabe was in his car seat whining, mom put the little harness thing on and then put Gabe in it so that he was facing her.

" What's going on ? " I asked dad as he put food in the backpack with Gabe's things.

" We need to leave now there are some infected out by the back of this building trying to get in. I saw them through Gabe and Ellie's room when I was checking on them." He said pulling the backpack onto his back.

" Shouldn't we warn Robert and is Tommy coming back with us ? " I asked.

" Yes we do why don't you and Calvin go see about that and hurry those things are close to breaking a window. " He said worriedly.

" Ok " We both said at the same time we didn't laugh though...we just smiled at each other. Mom was giving us glares as we left.

" What did you and your mom talk about ? " He asked in a whisper as we left. I grabbed the table leg thing that was on the table as we walked by.

We might need it.

" We talked about me and you, she doesn't think we should be going out or something like that because we are still young and blah blah blah." I said he shrugged and knocked on Roberts apartment door three times.

" What do you think about...us ? " He asked quietly leaning against the wall.

"I think we should go out and be with each other. I really like you and I want to be with you. I already told you that. We need to stay together and live this thing out and try our best to be okay and not have a mental breakdown while we are at it. " I said simply. That sounds easy right ? But I have this feeling that it's going to be a lot harder than that.

" I thought you would say that " He said smiling. Just then Tommy answered the door.

" What " He said frowning at me . Gosh if looks could kill I'd be six feet under. Why is this guy always frowning I know the world is coming to an end and blah blah but he doesn't have to frown at me and only me . What did ever do to him ?

" Are you coming back with us , and there are some infected out back getting in we just came to warn Robert ." I said holding my weapon correctly .

" Yes I am give me five minutes , I have to tell him and say goodbye . " he said quickly closing the door before I could answer .

" You know freckles I was thinking when this is over I'm going to take you to Italy I know this amazing restaurant there that I know you will love. " He said wrapping his arms around my waist.

" That would be great but we have to make it out of here first Romeo " I said pulling away.We walked back to our apartment hand in hand. Mom and Dad were just finishing packing. Mom was testing out the new harness thing she was walking around with it on. Dad was checking out a tool box he found probably looking for more weapons.

" Tommy said he would be here in five minutes. " I said to them.

" Okay, Calvin can you carry Ellie for me, we are going to have to run this one. " Dad said.

" Sure, come on little rock. " He said walking over and bending down to her.

" I scared what if monsters get us ? " She cried.

" They won't get you I promise okay ? " Cal said, She looked a little unsure but nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck and he picked her up. Just then Tommy burst in the apartment.

" Are we ready ? " He asked.

" Yeah " Mom replied.

" Well then let's go kick some infected ass ! " He said with a smiled. I stared at him, I realized that this is the first time I've seen him smile. He looked better this way, although it didn't reach his eyes. Mom told him to shut up, she's still sensitive about all the killing.

" You should smile more " I said and walked out the door. We slowly made out way down stairs to the first floor which was in ruins. If it wasn't before it definitely was now. There was much more blood on the walls and half of the banister was missing. The chandler that hung from the ceiling was in pieces on the floor. All of a sudden there were growls coming from up the back stairs. Tommy pulled out his bloody crowbar.

" Cal and Mr.s C get out of here now. Viv you take the one closest to you and I will take the one by the stairs and Mr.C take the other one. " Tommy shouted and ran towards his target and started hitting it furiously. Dad was hesitant but started to beat it with the bat. I stood there shocked, that is until my target started getting closer. It was a woman she had a twisted ankle and was dragging it behind her. I hit her, I had to it was the only choice if I didn't then she would have got me first. I hit her over and over again and again. I was still hitting her with the table leg . In fact the only thing you could hear was me hitting her. She was long dead now but I couldn't stop. Dad came up to me and touched my shoulder. I flinched but finally stopped. I looked down at the woman's face it was beaten in you couldn't even distinguish what was what . I dropped my table leg. My hands were bleeding from holding it so tight. I felt myself being pulled to leave. We were outside in the night air. It wasn't cold but very humid and moist and there was an eerie silence. This is very weird - not having the noise of the cars or construction or planes. It was too quiet, Cal and Mom were waiting outside. Cal handed Ellie to Dad and came up to hug me. I didn't hug him back though, my arms hurt. Dad handed Ellie back to Cal. We started to walk in front of Tommy. Mom was in front of us and Dad was in the lead. Ellie eventually fell back asleep in Cal's arms which is quite cute.

" I have to tell you something Viv " Cal whispered as we took a detour down a little side road. I knew he was serious because he didn't use my nickname.

" What ? " I said turning to him. His face was serious and distant.

" Well when I was back in Gregory's house I kinda hit him, but it was only because he wasn't letting me leave. When I punched him he flew into the wall breaking it. Also since then I can hear certain things like the leaves rustling from miles away, and the only reason I was able to find you was because I followed your scent. " He said huffing. So what he is saying is that he has super powers. Wow.

" Wow " I whispered, nothing was really THAT shocking anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if fairies and vampires came out.

" I don't know what's happening to me but I don't think it's bad. I mean it's just my senses that are extremely heighten. " He said .

" Why don't you want to tell the rest of the group ? "

" Because it's not the right time to. I mean your mom is already freaked out. I only told you because I can't really lie to you. And plus I needed to get it off my chest it was weighing me down. " He said releasing a breath he was holding, I frowned.

" What's wrong ? " He asked shifting Ellie into a more comfortable position.

" It's not fair, my boyfriend gets all the cool powers." I pouted, we turned another corner into a little shopping center. Cal chuckled and looked at me.

" Don't worry your adorableness is power enough " He said quietly laughing to him self.

" Yeah, I guess your right. " I said smiling.

I walked past mom ignoring her and up to dad.

" Dad where are we going ? " I asked him.

" To a gun store it's right up ahead, we need more weapons and flash lights. These street lights aren't going to stay on forever. " he said looking around.

" Oh, ok is that it right there ? " I said pointing at a building that had busted windows and had a sign that said Bills gun shop and armory blinking on and off.

" Yeah I believe it is." We walked right up to it, dad turned to the rest of the group.

" Grab anything that might be useful to us, and be on alert it looks like someone or thing already passed through here. " He said holding his bat protectively. We all walked in, the door was unlocked. Why were the windows broken then ? We were all quiet as we looked around. Most of the stuff was gone. There were tons of empty shelves. But who ever came here before us didn't check the back room, because it was full of guns and grenades and other lethal stuff.

" Hey guys over here! " I called out and they all assembled by the door.

" Wow ! " Cal said putting Ellie down and walking in the room.

" Alright, this is what I'm talking about ! " Tommy said dropping his crow bar. We grabbed as much as we could. I found another back pack and began stuffing ammunition in it. Cal held a semi automatic gun in his hands. He stuffed two magazines in his pockets. Dad was eyeing a sniper rifle thingy. It's amazing on how much you can pick up on from call of duty two and modern warfare three, they are some of my favorite games.

Mom hesitantly picked up a pistol checking to see if it was loaded. Once my bag was filled I grabbed the only semi automatic weapon left. Tommy and Cal had the others.

" What does this do ? " Ellie said pulling something apart. That wasn't just anything that was a grenade.

We all ran out the room. Cal swooped down and grabbed Ellie. She dropped the grenade and it rolled to the back of the room. We haul tailed it out of the store and hid behind some cars as the building exploded. Bricks and metal blew everywhere. I looked over the car the building was blazing. Stuff was still exploding. Then the building beside the armory some clothes store exploded also.

" We need to move now this is going to draw a lot of attention !! " Dad yelled over the noise, we all got up and started moving on a light jog.

" I never knew such a little girl could do so much damage in the matter of two seconds " Tommy said jogging ahead and leaving me and Cal laughing.

............................

Alex's POV :

" What was that ? " Roy said turning around. There was a huge explosion followed by another set of explosions it came from the shopping center we had raided a couple of hours ago. We are on the road now walking. Me and mom survived the highway thing a couple of days ago . We picked up Glenn on the way to the shopping center and we encountered Roy and Ray along with their father and little sister Ryanne who is twelve and a halve . Forget that half and your on for a lecture believe me I've been there .

My mom had my little sister Annie on her chest in some harness thing . And in one hand she held a shot gun . We had robbed the gun store in the shopping center . A couple of hours ago after we found Glenn she had been traveling alone her parents went on some religious convention in Florida . When we first escaped the highway we found Roy and Ray with there dad and little sister . Roy and Glenn some how got together through all this mess . We are on our way to shelter when we heard the explosion it's almost dawn and I haven't gotten any rest yet . I wonder where Viv is , when we found Glenn I kinda hoped Viv and her family would be with her . But she wasn't I hope she is safe .

" I don't know but we should check it out it could be help ? Or someone with information " Mr . Smith said .

" Yeah or it could be something else " Ray said thinking about it . There's one thing you have to know about the twins . They are COMPLETE OPPOSITES . Ray is smart and kind but get him angry enough he will beat your head off , he is on our schools track team and he is in very good shape for a nerdish person he has defined muscles but not to much muscle that he looks bulky . He where's his hair in a fade that is over grown but it still looks good . He has big brown eyes that used to be behind his glasses until he got contacts in ninth grade . He has a milk chocolate complexion as does Roy who looks exactly the same except his hair is cut all the way down . Roy is a athlete , well they both are but he is on our basketball team too and he always gets the girls he isn't as book smart as Ray but he passes all his classes with a C . I'm very surprised he is hanging out with Glenn he seems more like my type but he wasn't interested in me and I sure didn't want him . He is more street smart than anyone and he has this charisma to him that draws people to him but not me of corse because I like Ray . Ray has made some moves on me but nothing too obvious and let's face it Alex I'm too scared to be in a realationship with him . Which is so un like me since I'm the rebel girl who breaks her boyfreinds hearts in a matter of two weeks . I can't help it I just get so bored with them . But something draws me to Ray .

" I think we should go and see what it is , I don't think one of those things could have set that off . It probably came from the gun store . Which means someone was in there . And that was a grenade that went off " Mom said turning around to the rest of us. If anybody is going to survive this thing it's going to be her , she is a health official or something downtown at a large hospital . Me and my mom are just alike . She likes to party and stuff . Just like me . The only thing I got from my dead beat father was his straight black hair and his light blue eyes . Him and my mom got a divorce about two years ago . They were never happy they always fought and stuff . But my mom was two months pregnant with my little sister Annie . But he still went through with it , saying that it wasn't his and that she was just trying to get him to stay around . But sometimes I wish he was here because now mom is getting all bossy and mother like . And she used to be the nicer parent .

She already threatened to kick me out three times , because I don't come home on time blah blah blah and that I'm failing a couple of classes in school . It's not my fault that those stupid teachers put me in AP classes .Which I really can't be that mad about because that means Ray is in most of them which isn't so bad . I am really smart at least that's what the states standardized tests say . It's just that I get really lazy so I tend to take naps in class . Or I sit and read my comic books all day and refuse to do any work . If you would look at me you would probably say that's a hot nerd or something stupid which in that case I would have to smack you . I am not a nerd , I get called a rebel because I got kicked out of Walmart seven times because of some misunderstandings but that's other stories for another day . And the fact that I've been suspended nineteen times last year . Those stories are for another day also . No wonder the principal has my moms number on speed dial .

" Ok , fine but everyone stay on alert we don't actually know what's down there ." Mr. Smith said . We all nodded and turned around . I walked beside Ray . He seemed to be thinking about something . Ahead was Glenn and Roy talking quietly . And then way ahead was my mom with Annie and Mr.Smith and Ryann.

" Are you ok ? " I asked Ray he nodded .

" Who here is ok ? There are freaking zombies walking- no running around here trying to eat me but no I'm fine " he replied sarcastically which for some reason made me burst into laughter . We walked towards the big conflagration of a fire .

..............................

Viv's POV:

" I think we can take a break now " Dad said . We stopped walking it was morning now . We were on a road it had houses on both sides . We followed dad to the third one and he broke the front bay window an we all climbed through . This time they checked the house to make sure nothing else was here . I sat at the kitchen table and Cal along with Ellie and Tommy also followed my lead .

" Do you think we are going to make it out of here ? " Tommy asked me and Cal . Ellie was sitting on his lap .

" Yes , I do think we will make it out here and hopefully if we stick together . " Cal said slowly looking at me .

" Tommy can you watch Ellie for a moment ? " Cal asked lifting her up and putting her on the ground .

" Actually I'm not very good with ki- "

" Great come on freckles I want to show you something . " he said grabbing my hand and pulling me up . I followed him out the back door of the house to a fenced in yard . Lucky my parents were in the living area with Gabe talking .

" What do you want to show me ? " I asked him . He flashed me his famous smirk .

" I just want demonstrate my new powers that's all " he said and picked up a brick lying beside the grill . He placed in the palm of his hand .

" Now watch " he said and with that he crushed it nothing was left but red dust .

" Very impressive " I said

" And I have increased hearing and smell , but I don't know how to demonstrate those . "He said frowning

" Well what can you hear ? " he closed his eyes and began .

" Hmmm ... I can hear your heart beating and the leaves rustling in the trees and I hear a squirrel biting a acorn five streets down . " he said opening his eyes . I stared at him Wow he really did have super powers . My mouth dropped open .

" What else can you do ? " I asked still in awe .

" I don't know but I'll try to do more if I can ." He replied .

" Cool , this is ... " I don't know what to say . What do you say to someone like him .

" Can you fly ? " I asked curious maybe he is from a different planet like cripton. Maybe he is superman . Oh my gosh my boyfriend is SUPERMAN !!

" No I don't think so , are you ok ?" He asked seeing my face .

" Your superman !! Omg !! " I squealed.

" No , I am not I'm just immune !" He said laughing at my new piece of information .

" So , why are you immune ? "

" I don't know it may be my blood type it's very rare my doctor said there are like thirteen other people in the world who have it . " he said ruffling his curls as he talked .

" Can you carry me back into the house now ? " I asked him politely maybe I will get a yes now that he has this super strength I could only weigh about as much as a feather now right ?

" What , why is there something wrong with your leg ? " he asked concern in his voice .

" No , but now that you have super strength you minds well use it for good right ? " I replied holding my arms out to him like a baby .

"I guess your right " and with that he picked me up and through me over his shoulder and started twirling in fast circles.

" Put me down now !!!! " I screamed laughter filled my voice . I banged on his back with my useless fists but it didn't help .

" Nope not until you say... " he paused thinking about it .

" Until you say that Calvin Holmes is the best boyfriend ever in the world and he is extremely sexy ! "

" No ! " I shrieked as the twirling increased .

" Do it or you will suffer the punishment of nausea ! " he said in his justice voice .

" Alright ! Alright ! Calvin Holmes is the best boyfriend ever in the world and he is extremely sexy ! " I sang out. He put me down as promised. My head hurt .

" Well thank you I appreciate your compliment and so in return I like your shirt " he said in the most ridiculous high pitched voice ever while laughing his head off .

" Yeah , yeah " I said walking to the back door . I just know my parents are wondering what all that screaming was about . Now that I think about it that wasn't the best idea those infected things could have heard us .

" After you me lady " He said holding the screen door open . Oh god I hope he isn't going to keep that dumb accent .

" Mom ? Dad? " I said .

" We are in here honey " Mom called out . She must not be mad anymore .Me and Cal casually walked into the living room as if nothing happened outside . Tommy was sitting on the arm chair with Ellie on his lap eating a chocolate bar . So we took the love seat . Mom and dad already had the other one .

" We need to start moving soon , me and your father and Gabe need some rest so we need you guys to be on watch . And watch Ellie we will be upstairs call if anything seems wrong or if you see something coming . " She said carrying Gabe as she walked upstairs . Dad followed after giving us a long look .

" So ... What are we going to do ? " I asked we all were just sitting around .

" I need to go bathroom " Ellie whined.

" It's right down the hall to the right " Tommy said lifting her off his lap . She looked at him like he was crazy .

" Here I'll take you " I said picking her up and walking her to the bathroom . She insisted that I check for toilet monsters before she went in . I didn't know what they looked like so I said I didn't see any ? . I helped her wash her little hands since she was too short to reach the sink , even on her tippy toes .

" All done " I said as we walked out .

I sat back down next to Cal who was having a conversation with Tommy . Ellie climbed onto my lap .

" Do you think this had spread ? " Cal asked Tommy .

" I don't know yeah I guess , I mean at first they told us it was a flu or cold so it's not like we were under quarantine I'm sure lots of people were in and out of this state and the entire country . So yes I do think that it has spread we just don't know because the media isn't up and running . " He said confidently .

" I hope it didn't or we will be doing all of this for no reason . " I said holding Ellie tighter .

" Oh my god ! " Cal said out of no where and got up and walked to the window we broke and looked out . I put Ellie down and walked over to him .

" Umm what are you doing ? " I asked him cautiously .

" I can't believe it !! " he was still talking to him self .

" Oh , great my boyfriend is delusional and crazy " I said looking out the window beside him . He turned to me with an eyebrow raised .

" What are you rambling on about ? "He questioned . He came up to me and whispers in my ear .

" I can hear and smell another group coming and that group has you and my best friends in it " He whispered . Alex and Glenn ? With Roy and Ray ? Wow I just know they are paired up .

" They are turning down the street now " He whispered . I didn't say anything . I opened the front door and ran towards them , it was about seven of them . I yelled out Glenn and Alex's names . The group stopped but two figures started to run towards me .

" Viv! " They shrieked as we all embraced each . We pulled apart .

" I can't believe you guys are here and safe !!" I said to them .

" I can't believe it either can you believe what's happening its like something out of a horror movie " Glenn said . She never liked horror movies , she was even was afraid of paranormal activity one . Out of the corner of my eye I could see Cal and Roy and Ray getting together .

" Well , besides a apocalypse Glenn here has hooked up with Roy ! " Alex said . Moving her eyebrows up and down .

" Yes I have he is so sweet ! I never knew he he was . I just thought he was a player " She said looking back at him .

" Well , Ray is okay I think he likes me though but he is shy , what about you and Calvin ? "

" Me and Cal are together , I have to tell you guys something when we are alone again " I whispered lowly I am going to tell them about Calvin , they are my best friends and I need to tell someone . I looked up at Calvin he was talking with Alex's mom and some other person . But he turned around and flashed me a smirk .

" I knew you guys like each other finally you gave into your feelings how wonderful " Glenn exclaimed .

" Well come inside we are going to draw a lot of attention and so you can meet the rest of my group " I said turning back towards the house .

" Oh, yeah your parents are here and Gabe too ? " Glenn said . As we walked back I explained our whole situation and how we found Ellie and Tommy .

We walked in the house Tommy was standing in the door way along with my parents . They didn't look to happy but there expressions changed when they seen who I was walking with . And the rest of there group followed behind us . We all walked into the house it was crowded now . We all sat down in the living room . Most of us on the floor . As Alex's mom and what I now of the man who is Roy and Ray's father and there little sister Ryanne . We exchanged stories and they have agreed to come with us to see if there is a way out of here .

" So you guys were the first to rob the gun store ? " Dad asked Alex's mom . She nodded and rocked baby Annie in her arms . She is almost the same age as Gabe .

" We should get moving now . " Mr. Smith said .

" Yeah it's still a lot of light left . And it's not to far from here actually it's just about seven miles . " Dad said getting up , we all got our guns and things off the kitchen table where we all put them and started to head out . With all the children that are in our group Ray thought of a good way to walk so that none of the children get lost or hurt . We all just walk in a right circle with my mom and Gabe in the middle along with Alex's mom and Annie then Ellie and Ryanne . I was of corse beside Cal we walked along everyone was talking and having there own conversations . Ray and Alex were having some kind of whispered debate . Me and Cal walked in our personal silence for a moment. Before I spoke up .

" I'm going to tell Glenn and Alex about you " I said in a quick whisper . He was quiet for a moment .

" I know I heard you telling them " He said simply as if he was deciding on what to have for lunch .

" You do , so you don't mind ? " He smiled and looked at me.

" No , I don't if it were Roy and Ray I would tell them you have super powers too they are my best friends " He said looking over to where Roy and Glenn were walking .

" Can you keep a secret ? " I asked in a low whisper . I just had the most amazing idea .

" Uhh sure what is it ? "

" I have super powers too " I said . He looked at me shocked and a little hurt .

" You do ? Why didn't you tell me earlier it wouldn't have effected my feelings towards you . " he said

" Uhh I was just kidding you should have seen the look on your face " I said chuckling .He looked annoyed at first then he relaxed .

" I will get you back Freckles " he said and pinched me on the butt . I hope no one saw that .

" Whatever " I said walking ahead a little . I know it's crazy how we all can act as if the world as we know it is ending . If it wasn't for the paranoid stares and things every time we hear a noise . And also the way we walk WITH GUNS it would look like we were taking a stroll in the park . There was a loud crack as we walked along . We all stopped and looked to where it came from . An old gas station on the right of us . We all stood and listened .

Nothing .

" It was probably just the wind or something come on we are almost there." Dad said at the front . We continued to move it was a little hot wind blowing . If I could I would say so myself I would say it's about ninety degrees now . We constantly have to stop for water breaks . It would be a shame if you died from dehydration at a time like this . As we walked along I held my gun tighter . I never really had practice before I mean I play the video games all the time with Alex ( Glenn's parents think it's to violent , so she comes over our houses to play ! ) and dad took me to a gun range one time and kinda taught me how to shoot but that was when I was nine . I was interrupted by my thoughts . We came to an abrupt stop . I looked around there were gates and beyond them was a single lane , old dirt road . But blocking the gates was five CDC trucks . But it was deserted here . There were tents set up and computers all around .

" Well where is everybody ? This is our only way out and it's blocked .? " Dad said angrily .

" Look those things have been here ! " Ray said looking at the ground . There was a trail of blood from one of the trucks leading into one of the tents .

Me , Roy , Ray , Glenn , Tommy , Alex , Cal and Mr. Smith followed the trail into the tent . The others stayed to watch or something .We walked into the huge white tent thingy it had tables set up along with test tubes and computers everywhere . A couple were still on and blinking . Others were smashed in . There was blood on the ground and a lot of it . We all took in the seen .

" What happened here ? " Roy whispered .

" I can name a few things ". Tommy said sarcastically while rolling his eyes .

". Hey look this one is on and working " Ray said suggesting to a small laptop sitting on a near by counter .

" What does it say ? " Glenn asked him. We all crowded around him and the computer there was a small chart with a line going up it and also notes at the bottom . Ray started to read it out loud .

" Subjects after three weeks are showing more and more aggression . If this is to continue they will start to gain intelligence and memory's of there past lives . The effect of that will have various consequences . Most will result in retaliation and more violence . The VEX virus is very lethal and with time the subjects become smarter . This must be contained if anyone is to contract it by a bite kill immediately . It takes between four to five hours hours for the virus to take its full effect on subjects . If subject is scratched or anything else . It will take a full twenty four hours for the virus to take effect . There at the moment seems to not be a cure to this . Subjects must feed on fresh meat and blood preferably human but if no other humane source is around then another animal will do . When subjects are without food for over four weeks they will become vicious and begin to feed on each other or them selves . Subjects will do anything and everything to feed . They will stop at nothing to feed . Even if they have just eaten . They will not eat but instead just bite there prey to infect them . Scientist are doubting that there will ever be a cure for the VEX Virus . - Dr. Edwards III " Ray finished in a hush whisper . We stood there like we were playing freeze tag . There isn't a cure , there's no help . We are cursed . Those things will never go away . As long as there are humans around there will be infected . I grabbed Cal's hand and squeezed it . He returned the favor . It feels good to know that someone like him has my back . Not that my parents and friends don't its just that ... I don't know how to explain it .

" Help " We heard a low whisper coming from behind a counter across the room .

..................................................................................................................

PLEASE VOTE AND LEAVE COMMENTS .

THANKS :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

845 59 22
I see you're awake finally. Let me explain, I'm the overseer, and my name is Hayley, I will guide you on your journey through this time era. Your nam...
5K 380 32
‼️****MATURE CONTENT****‼️🔞 Book One (1) I covered myself immediately but his hands were just as quick as he pinned my wrist. How could he be so cal...
124K 5.4K 33
The apocalypse came; firstly only with the side effects of another world war, the radioactive making people sick and poisoning the air and food, but...