My Guilty Pleasure

By justmine_luver_143_

Meet Dani...Dani Marella. Your down-to-earth 17 year-old chick who rolls sass, sarcasm, and stubbornness into... More

~Synopsis~
~My Guilty Pleasure Cast~
~Introduction~
Chapter 1~Slight Antics & Surprising Announcements~
Chapter 2~Breaking News & Besties~
Chapter 3~Mail, Mall Trips, & Manly Douchebags~

Chapter 4~Rest Stops & Reminiscense~

412 40 86
By justmine_luver_143_

~A/N: Hey everyone, I hope you're having a decent day(: Here's the fourth chapter and I hope you enjoy. :P

•The house they're moving out of above•
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll be a new kid on an old block

A chalk outline of a playground blacktop

I'm just a moment

So don't let me pass you by

We could be a story in the morning

But we'll be legends tonight

I'm just a moment

So don't let me pass you by

They can speak our names in a dead language

Cause you and I, we're alive

But just for a moment

(Outlines -All Time Low)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter 4: Reminiscence & Rest Stops~

Time.

They say it's precious, but right now I'm just wondering where the hell it went.

Our last week in Atlanta has flown right before my near sighted vision in a blur and daily consistencies called for numerous slumber parties, many more mall trips, and plentiful movie nights.

Yes. By daily consistencies, I mean Katelyn.

Just a month ago Mom had come out with the news, and now we're actually preparing everything to leave. I gulp at the thought, my nerves increasing by the minute.

You deserve a change for once.

Yeah? What if I don't want change?

I currently find myself stuck, standing in the center of the room I've been living in my entire existence. My eyes wander to the emptiness my bed once filled. From blue crib to master bed.

The reason behind the blue crib is long story short; parents expected Daniel months after finding out Mom was pregnant, and after attending the ultrasound plus finding out the gender, they decided to just keep the crib and nickname 'Dani.' So 6-7 months later, out I pop and well, 'Hello, Danielle.'

I think it's pretty obvious by now that I very much prefer 'Dani' over my changed birth name only because 'Danielle' sounds a bit too feminine for me. Not that I'm a tomboy or anything, but I'm not too keen on princess world either. I'd like to say that I am a pretty good blend of both.

When meeting new people, I make sure to inform them that the name is 'Dani' instead of 'Danielle' just to avoid the cringe feeling that comes at the sound of it.

A few brown boxes lay still and quiet on the hard wood floor, waiting to be carried and packed away. I sigh, peeking outside my bedroom window to find some well known neighbors, a few family members, and close friends helping the truck mover guys load up everything.

I inwardly groan, remembering that we're going to have to drive all the way to Cali instead of flying by plane.

The really great thing about it is that it's exactly like a normal road trip...

Minus the returning part.

I look around the now silent spaces of my soon to be old room. Wow. Everything looks so foreign to me now that the furniture's disappeared. I've always wondered what the place would look like all vacant, and now I know...

My continuous curiosity is instead replaced by the need to break down and cry.

Glancing from my empty closet to the bare walls that once held my family photos had my mind clouded with distant memories, causing me to smile and feel the waterworks appear. Ah, nostalgia. It's definitely going to hit me hard when Mom steps foot on the gas pedal.

I sighed, kneeling onto my knees to pack my remaining boxes.

Too many good and bad times took place here...not to mention my fair share of embarrassing moments.

I'm honestly going to miss every single part of this house...from the roof to the floorboards.

I sniffed, forcing a tight smile upon my face when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"You alright, sweetie?" A soft, concerned voice fills the silence of my soon to be old bedroom as I face my mother with a weak smile.

"Yeah, it's just..."

"This is where I grew up...and now we're leaving. I'm going to miss everything, that's all." I struggled with my own words, finishing with a frown on my face as she placed an empathetic hand on my shoulder.

I attempted a smile. I really tried, but found myself not able to.

It really sucks keeping secrets from her, especially since we've always been honest with each other...but I believe it's for our best.

"Yes, too many memories here...I'm going to miss everything too, mija. But don't worry. Everything is going to be better soon, I promise."

Oh, I hope so...

"Now come on, baby girl. It's time to go." She fingered a strand of my hair, giving me a weak smile as I returned one back. We then picked up the few boxes containing the rest of my things before going out into the hall. I watched as she retreated down the stairs, my hand lingering on the doorknob. I took a deep breath, looking around my room one last time before sniffing and closing the door.

***

After bidding farewell to everyone, I think it's fair to say that mom and I are officially out of tears. I'm going to miss all my family members and the neighbors I've come to know very well in my time living here, including Mrs. J.

I'm especially going to miss Katelyn and it's going to be extremely difficult not being neighbors anymore. Our excessive bawling session makes things worse when I'm hugging her in a vise like grip. "I'm...going to...miss you so much." I tried saying in between tears as she sniffles. "I'll miss you too, Dani." I felt as one of her arms unwrap from the hug to slip something cold into my hand. I pulled away with curiosity to find a gorgeous necklace made of genuine gold.

I realized it was a locket so I opened up the shiny heart, failing not to laugh. Lying inside the locket was a photo of us as toddlers. We were both grinning so hard and pressing our chubby cheeks against one another's in a sweet hug. I looked up at the drying trails of tears on her face before pulling her into a quicker hug. "Thanks Kate, I love it." She pulled away with a soft smile, sticking her pinkie out. "Best friends for life."

I chuckle because of the fact that we haven't done pinky promises since elementary school. "Always." I smile back, locking my pinky with hers.

"You better Skype and text and call every hour you get. Understand?"

I roll my eyes playfully, unable to hold in my laugh. "Okay mom, but no promises." She laughs too, swatting my shoulder.

Yep. Our friendship's pretty abusive, but I know I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest.

I'd be more suspicious if she didn't hit me.

We look to our sides to find my mom and Mrs. Reynolds doing exactly the same, tearing and holding each other like they don't want to let go. I laugh slightly at their moment, more tears filling my eyes. It just broke my heart, making the stubborn side of me not want to leave all the more. If you can't tell, our mothers have obviously been through a lot together, more than Kate and I. They've been best friends since high school through college, and giving birth, all the way up to now. I smile warmly, letting Mrs. Reynolds engulf me in her hold. "I'll miss you very much, Dani." She gives my forehead a kiss and smiles warmly after pulling away. I chuckle, nodding. "I'll miss you too, Mrs. Reynolds."

There'd be good times when I'd walk into their house whenever I want and freely call her mom since she thinks of me as her second daughter. Ah, gonna miss that.

"Okay, sweetie. It's time to go." My mom sniffles, bringing the car to life. I slip into the passenger seat but not before calling over my shoulder, "️I love you, Kit Kat!"

"I love you too, Danimals!"

I laugh at our nicknames for each other and I know that I'm already going to miss her. I just can't wait till she comes to visit soon.

I shut the passenger door as Mom starts driving slowly, and I watch everyone wave in our direction through the open window. "Bye, everyone!" I call, waving back wildly.

I sit back and stare at my house's retreating reflection in the side view mirror before it vanishes out of sight.

It's only been fifteen minutes on the road and we still haven't left the state.
I sighed, watching the familiar city I'm proud to call my hometown pass by while the wind rushed through my hair. Finally we spotted the departure sign and the interstate coming up.

I slowly close my eyes, wondering whether I've made the right decision or if I'll forever live in regret...

***

After countless hours of rest stops, gas stations, and junk food, now would be the usual time I'd refer to this as 'the fun road trip experience.' You know, except for the fact that we're not returning to Atlanta any time soon.

I chomped on some Lays while blasting 3OH!3's Don't Trust Me in my ears, scanning over some cheesy ass cliches that I've come across on Wattpad.

Ah...this is the life.

Would I have it any other way? I doubt it. Nothing better than chilling out and pigging out while taking a mind trip to the delusional, unrealistic world of never ending cliches...

I read through a couple barf worthy romance stories and wait patiently as mom inserts the long nozzle into the small tank.

Innuendo unintended.

Trying not to inhale the head aching scent through my nose, I fight desperately to keep the dizziness from swarming into my brain cells. If you haven't guessed by now, I'm one of many who can't stand the smell of gasoline.

Pet peeve? Check.

Oh, don't worry. I have multiple.

Suddenly thirsty from the chip's saltiness, I look to my right to find two perfectly empty cup holders. Of course.

I sighed, fed up from whiffing the toxic fumes before stepping out of the vehicle.

"Mom, I'm going to fetch some drinks and more snacks. Want anything?" I jabbed my thumb toward the direction of 7-11 as she nodded without a glance.

"Sure honey, I'll be right here. Just grab what you can." She approved, swiping her gas card.

"Alright." I replied before turning on my heel and approaching the welcoming entrance of the corner store. Inhaling the cool night air, I breathed out glad to get away from the migraine causing odor. Occasional kids were seen renting the newest RedBox movies as I grabbed the handle, pulling.

Familiar chiming filled my ears as I walked down a few aisles, eyeing what I should buy. I couldn't help but feel eyes on me the entire time so I hurried a bit, also trying not to keep my mom waiting.

I grabbed a few snacks and two bottles of Sprite, before rushing towards the check out counter only to run into someone, instantly causing me to drop everything. I groaned inwardly at my clumsiness muttering, "I'm sorry" before proceeding to gather what I dropped. Right when I bent down though, my head immediately rams into whoever I bumped into, making me fall flat on my ass.

Way to go, Dani. Way to go...

This time I groan out loud at the slight pain my skull intook, holding my head. I stare at the unknown stranger's dark boots trying to avoid the eyes of whoever experienced my firsthand embarassment.

He has some big feet.

Coming to realization at my most recent thought I slightly shook my head, blushing.

"I am so sorry..." I started off sheepishly, but trailed off to find a young looking guy probably around my age, smirking down at me. His light, hazel eyes showcased pure amusement and I tried hard not to get lost in them. Instead I ducked my head to take everything I dropped, only to spot his hands picking up some items too. Big hands too, might I add.

Desperately avoiding the heat creeping onto my cheeks I forced myself to look up, once again locking eyes with his greenish brown ones before slowly standing up and catching a clear view of him.

Yes, I fail to attempt a subtle look over of him because I caught his smirk deepening this time in arrogance. I'm not sure of whether I want to sink into the ground or roll my eyes.

Not a talker, huh? I thought while watching his Adam's apple.

Please say something. Anything...

He was sporting a dark leather jacket on top of a plain white tee along with some midnight jeans and lastly, his boots. I tried not to snort, looking away. Walking cliche, much?

Guessing black's his favorite color because he seems to fit the shade pretty well though, not gonna lie.

He was fairly tall, about a head above me making me feel self conscious. I guess I'm a decent five foot five, but sometimes I wish to be four inches taller...it seems pretty unfair that boys get to have a growth spurt during puberty whilst most of us females stay wallowing in our shortness.

Dirty blonde hair was slicked and combed back neatly upon his head, bringing the color of his eyes out perfe-Jesus, what am I even doing? Mom's obviously waiting for me and instead I'm stuck here, checking out a total stranger.

I blinked out of my train of thought when he extended his arms toward me, handing me the rest of what I dropped. I quickly took it from him mumbling a quick "Thank you" before walking towards the cashier again. Still I felt eyes burning right through me, even after paying and exiting the store...

***

"Stone hard, machine gun. Firing at the ones who run. Stone-hard as bulletproof glass...You shoot me down, but I won't fall. I am titanium..."

I belted out the last two lines three more times before the beat dropped in my eardrums. The car door speaker vibrated from the continuous bass, increasing the urge for my bones to move.

"You're voice is beautiful, Dani. Have I ever told you that?" My mom smiles at me before focusing back on the road as I roll my eyes playfully.

"Yes, mom. Countless times, actually." I chuckle heartily as she places a hand on my thigh. "Well, I can't help it if my daughter has talent." She gave me a cheesy smile making me scoff.

"I don't think singing is considered a talent anymore, mom...I mean, anyone can sing, really."

She just smacked her lips, shooting me a quick but stern look. "That may be, but unique voices are the ones that reach the top." She winked, continuing her drive.

I muttered an "I guess" with a small shrug before gazing out the window. Nightfall was arriving soon due to the darkening sky and a few stars set ablaze. Suddenly the car stopped and I looked around, now noticing that we were in a hotel parking lot. I looked up, taking in the nice, grand building before giving my mom a blank but questioning look. With an amused smile on her face she switched off the engine, swinging her keys.

"We're really spending the night in some fancy hotel, mom? Seriously?"

By now I'm used to traveling all night on the road or sleeping in motels. Honestly, we've barely ever stayed in hotels, so this is pretty unexpected.

"I know you prefer motels, but this is going to be a long drive. I think a hotel is our best option for now."

I sighed, reluctantly prying my door open. "Fine." I grumbled, exiting the vehicle to retrieve my bag.

What a long ass trip this will be...

Yes, I'm talking about my so called life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~A/N: Hey everyone(: I hope you liked this chapter! I've started this chapter a while ago and I finally updated so here you go! :p I finally got to watch Mockingjay Part 2 and I loved it so much! <3 I'm just sad that it's the end, but I'm satisfied with the way the movie ended, exactly how I pictured it'd be :D #Everlark4life

The next chapter will continue from the prologue by the way. Sorry if it's pretty confusing, but happy reading! :)

Make sure to vote, comment, & add if you like! Thank you!

-Ezabel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

463K 42.5K 33
๐™๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™– ๐™ ๐™–๐™ง ๐™™๐™–๐™ก๐™– , ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ƒ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž...... โ™ก ๐™๐™€๐™๐™„ ๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™€๐™’๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„ โ™ก Shashwat Rajva...
148K 5.3K 60
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...
615K 7.5K 31
The bad boy's life changes when he suddenly becomes the teacher's baby...
49.8K 2.5K 161
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...