Unmasked

By RejectWriter

Unmasked (A Cinderella Story): Mary Anabel is treated like a slave to her mother and sisters. Then one day... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
When They Found Each Other Again
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41- THE END

Chapter 33

1.4K 56 10
By RejectWriter

-unedited-

Chapter 33:

There's nothing wrong with going for what you want. But isn't that how I got here in the first place?

I follow her pace but stay just enough behind. It felt like we had an argument even thought we only spoke for a little while.

Still, it feels like she's angry at me.

"We're going upstairs," her voice is distance, nothing like the playfulness she had earlier. She's not the same girl that laughed at my blushing face.

I only nod in response. It felt like there was a warning to her telling me but I decided not to look into it.

We go a different route than usual and she leads me up a staircase I've never seen before. It was much smaller than the main ones.

"Listen," she stops halfway up the staircase and turned to face me, "we're going somewhere you've never been before, in fact, only a few have and I need you to take this seriously."

"Of course," there's an uneasy feeling in my stomach, "where are we going?"

"To serve the king-" she begins

"The king-?" The uneasy feeling in my stomach spreads.

"-as he is in a meeting," she finishes.

My throat tightens and I only nod in response.

"It's a meeting in a dinner like way, we're only serving them, nothing else," she explains, "nothing you haven't done before."

I nod and inhale deeply. Nothing I haven't done before.

"Come then, I'll get you ready," she continues her way up and I follow. We go through a series of halls in a maze like manner until we finally come across a set of doors.

"They'll arrive soon," Mariah informs me as we enter the dim lit room, a large empty dinner table in the center with only two other maids here, there was another room connected to this one. It was like a small kitchen, in there was their meals already ready, along with two large wine bottles.

"Just remain calm," she tells me, probably being able to hear my anxiety.

"Do you happen to know what exactly they'll be discussing?" I ask, hoping to distract myself.

"Nope," she grins. Why must she makes it so hard?

"Why is the room dim?" I manage to think of another question.

"Along with the dinner, it provides a calm atmosphere so there's isn't a declaration of war."

"W-what?" My breathing begins to shorten.

"There's only meetings in this manner when it's a serious discussion, the majority of which the whole royal family is present, including the prince!" She smiles at me.

"The prince?" Oh no.

"The entire royal family!" At her cheerful tone I suddenly realized her motive.

"Did you-?"

"It's beginning," her cheerful tone is gone, replaced by her serious, cold self.

The doors open and the King and Queen walk in, arm and arm not saying a word, their son following right behind him.

I try my hardest not to stare. I've never seen them all together with such serious expressions on their faces. They all take their seats close to each other, the King being seated in the middle of the Queen and prince. I look down as they sit.

Why am I suddenly terrified of them seeing me?

They've seen my face before. My heart nearly stops at the realization.

"Yes, my Lord," there's a maid already at the King's side. She bows and heads out the door, going to retrieve whatever he just asked for.

"Mary, try your best to avoid serving them if you can," Mariah whispers in my ear and I can only nod in response.

I can't help but look in his direction, he manages to look my way at the same moment that I look at his and our eyes meet.

Quickly, I look down.

"Now entering, the third Prince of Clarines, Sir William Hankinson," the maid from before returns and stands at the door as William makes his way him.

"Greetings, your Highnesses, I'm apologize for having to disturb your very busy lives,"

"Just sit down and tell us what you wish to discuss," the king orders coldly.

"Father," his son warns.

"It's alright I expected nothing less," William makes his way to the empty chair at the opposite end at the table so that he's facing the family. He looks up and over all the maid, his eyes eventually landing on me.

"My, my," he grins. He recognizes me.

"What was that?" The king demands.

"Nothing, nothing, let our feast begin!"

Mariah nudges me and I'm alert again, I make my way into the kitchen quickly and pick up a plate from the counter.

The two other maids and Mariah make their way to the royal family, leaving me for William. I make my way over to him, avoiding his eyes at all costs.

Slowly I bring his plate down, careful with it, and make my way back to where the others stood.

We watched them as they ate, I looked at my hands feeling the stares of both Princes. All that mattered was the king and queen hadn't recognized me yet, which calmed me a little.

Mariah began to move next to me but soon stopped, I looked to see William, he hand finished his drink and wanted more but he didn't want her to serve him.

He looked at me.

I go to him a get his wine class then go back to the cart, Mariah questions me with her eyes but I only shake my head in response.

The red wine slowly fills the cup and I stop it halfway. I try my best to calm my shaking hands as I make my way over to him, feeling their intense stares.

Why am I so nervous, he won't reveal me. He said he was on my side so he wouldn't... why am I so nervous?

As calmly as I can I begin to set down the glass in front of him but he catches my hand before I could set it down.

"Thank you, darling," his hand circles mine as he takes a slow sip from glass, his eyes looking deep into mine.

I feel my face getting warmer and my heart that I had just managed to settle down now begins to race.

I panic. Out of the corner of my eye I see my prince look away.

"Now," William releases my hand and looks over at the royal family, "let's get down to business shall we?"

I begin to make my way back over to Mariah but William puts a hand on my shoulder, telling me to wait there.

"Alright then," the king replies, "what is it that you want?"

"A preposition" William smiles wickedly, "no, a warning."

"Tell me, what is this warning you can possibly have for me?"

"I'm concerned for you," William begins in a teasing voice, "please note that when I say 'I' I mean Clarines and when I say 'you' I mean your kingdom."

"I figured as much." The king responds coldly.

"Please remember, Old Man, that I simply acting based on a centuries old agreement based on our two kingdoms-"

"Get on with it, boy."

"We can no longer bare witness, we're deciding to step in and take over your role."

"What are you getting at?" The Queen asks, there's a clear concern in her voice unlike the King's.

William pauses for a moment, his eyes look over the whole room until they finally meet with the King's again. During that silence I only can feel my panic and the rising tension between them.

"How cruel of you," William says directed towards them all, no longer teasing, "having a full dinner as your maids watch, actions like that might just be your downfall."

"Is that a threat, boy?" The king asks grimly.

"Oh no! I just mean, what power can a king possibly have if can't even feed his own servants. I say, that a strong ruler comes from strong followers but what's a ruler if all his followers have died from starvation?" William begins to stand.

"I have followers," The king begins to stand as well.

"Ah yes, your followers, as you put it. Merely stray dogs staying for the treats,"

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, is that your kingdom is on the verse of collapsing and your people on the verge of death." William's face turns cold, "You're not fit to be a king, so simply hand over your kingdom to me."

"My kingdom is fine, boy, if I were you I watch your tongue."

William chuckles.

"Fine, you say? Look at this poor young lady," William pulls me to him and places both hands on my sides, "would you say this is the healthy body of someone her age?"

I look down, my breathing begins to shorten. Why is he doing this?

"That's enough," I hear the prince warn and William looks over to him.

"Look your highness, would you marry her?" William turns to me, "I mean, no offense to you, I'm sure you're beautiful in the inside."

My throat tightens and I look over to Mariah, who's looking away, purposely avoiding my gaze.

"What are you suddenly?" The king asks bitterly, "Trying to wed one of my maids?"

"Answer me, does this look fine to you?" He pinches at my side.

"Stop touching her!" The prince stands and the queen quickly follows, "Can't you see you're making her uncomfortable?"

I hold the treating tears in. I've never seen him so angry before.

"My, is that the only reason you want me to stop?" William grins at him.

"Yes," he answers calmly.

"What is this?" The queen demands, looking between me and her son.

"Rulers with such poor eyesight," William explains casually.

"Let go of the maid, boy, and tell me your intent than waste my time." The king orders.

"Ah, yes," he releases me and I quickly make my way to the kitchen, just at entrance where I could still hear them.

"Simply put, the conditions of this kingdom are unfit all of it being fault of an unfit ruler. Clarines is taking away your kingdom."

"As if I'd allow-"

"Think about it, old man, what's your army against Clarines?" William cuts him off, "We're currently the strongest in the nation as yours the weakest. How many of your men died in battle? Why, your army is the reason for all of this to begin with, so do you really believe you'll stand a chance against us?"

"So your here to merely take?"

"Oh no, I want you to willingly give me your kingdom but of course if you don't I'll just take it, but who wants that to happen?"

There's dreadful silence. I slide down so that I could sit and try to breathe again.

William did all of that on purpose... why? Why would he?

The silence last long until a familiar voice speaks.

"I'm afraid your efforts will be unnecessary, William," I hear my prince say, "you seem to forget that my father's reign is almost over and that I have accepted the crown already."

"And?" William asks, sounding unimpressed.

"I'll fix this kingdom, my own kingdom," he explains, "you're treating to kill something that's already dying. It's unnecessary."

"So you're saying that you'll save this entire dying kingdom once you take the crown?"

"Unlike my father, I'm fully aware of the situations at hand and I'm already have plans on how to fix them all."

"Do you understand the task you're taking? That this isn't merely child's play but actual lives relying on you? Are you willing to take responsibility for all of them?"

"Yes."

"Alright," William simply replies, "I believe you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 544 52
What if Cinderella didn't want prince charming? ****** When Emily Odita was forced...
62.4K 3.2K 67
You all know the story of Cinderella. The story of how she was a servant with an evil step-mother and step-sisters. Remember how she went to a ball...
25.2K 387 3
Evangeline had been a slave all her life, bullied by the servants and the nobles, looked down upon by everybody. She was told she was ugly, miserable...
39 8 8
The princes only threw masquerade balls. No one had ever seen their sister's face. Princess Astra is kept hidden inside her palace, required to wear...