lab rats || season one

By kellberg

haley ford is leo dooley's best friend. they have been best friends since they were little kids. little did t... More

1. crush chop and burn. (pt. 1)
2. crush chop and burn (pt. 2)
3. commando app
4. leo's jam
6. exoskeleton vs. grandma
7. smart and smarter
8. bionic birthday fail
9. death spiral smackdown
10. can i borrow the helicopter?
11. back from the future
12. chip switch
13. drone alone
14. chore wars
15. dude, where's my lab?
16. air leo
17. night of the living virus
18. mission invisible
19. concert in a can
20. mission: space
lab rats season two

5. rats on a train

8.6K 133 124
By kellberg

haley's p.o.v.

today in the lab, adam, bree, and chase are going to begin their next phase in their training, which  is handling different types of climates. mr. davenport said that leo and i would be able to watch today, and we were pretty excited.

"alright guys. the next phase of your training is handling extreme climates. so we'll frost chase, bake bree, and submerge adam. that's not part of the training. i just got one of those carnival dunk tanks and i can't wait to try it out." mr. davenport said excitedly.

adam patted chase on his shoulder as chase went over to his capsule.

"okay chase, i'm setting your capsule on 'antarctic.' if it gets to be too much, just give me a signal." mr. davenport said to chase when he got in his capsule.

"bring it." chase said with a grin. mr. davenport pressed a button on the control panel, and the training for chase began. i heard leo sigh beside me.

"hey, that's not fair! i want to be abused by weather." leo whined.

"leo, if you really want to be abused, try standing over here next to adam's morning breath." bree said.

"i don't have morning breath! it smells like that all day." adam quickly defended. bree and i shuddered in disgust.

"leo, these guys are genetically engineered to handle these kind of climates. you're not." davenport said to him.

"i can handle extreme cold." leo tried to convince him, but i scoffed.

"leo, you get a brain freeze from chewing mint gum." i said to him.

leo glared at me while the others nodded their heads in agreement. when mr. davenport's phone started ringing, he pulled it out of his pocket and answered it quickly.

"davenport.... what?!.... well, that's terrible!" he spoke as he started pacing around the room. we all started to follow him because we were all curious about what was going on.

"i mean, that's awesome, but that's terrible! i gotta do something." he hung up the phone, but he still didn't tell us what was going on.

"what's going on? what's so terrible?" adam asked.

"well, i created the world's fastest train, but now it's speeding out of control full of highly explosive nuclonium towards downtown welkerville!" mr. davenport said.

"well, then what was awesome?" bree asked, as if reading my mind.

"it's going like 400 miles an hour." mr. davenport said excitedly.

"woah!" we all said because that's freaking fast!!

"my entire career is riding or perhaps crashing on this train! i don't understand it! my design was flawless!" mr. davenport said panicking.

"so flawless you forgot to include an emergency brake?" i asked.

"no! i never counted on the conductor dropping his papaya smoothie all over the controls and then jumping off the train." mr. davenport said to me.

"well if I were to build a high-speed train, the first thing i would have put in was a cup holder. oh! and one of those bumper stickers on the back that says 'i brake for cows.'" adam told us. we all looked at him funny.

"when stuff like this happens, they always blame the scientist. this is human error. scientists don't make mistakes!" mr. davenport said.

then we heard knocking behind us. we all turned around and saw chase frozen in his capsule. i started laughing because it was actually pretty funny.

"chase. now i have to explain the whole train story again." mr. davenport whined, and we all groaned behind him.

----------

chase sat in a chair in the lab with a blanket wrapped around him. leo and i rubbed his arms to help warm him up faster. his hair was still soaked from when it turned into frost and ice.

"the good news is whenever i invent something, i always create a backup device to support it." mr. davenport said as he walked in with a big, black bag.

"as opposed to just building it right the first time." i quipped, and adam, bree, chase, and leo laughed. mr. davenport glared at me.

"now that i think about it, maybe i should've put you in the capsule with chase." he said to me and i just smirked.

"my auxiliary decelerator will stop anything. ocean liners, freight trains, tanks, eighteen-wheelers, twelve-wheelers-" mr. davenport started to explain, but leo cut him off.

"does it stop unnecessarily long explanations?" leo asked.

"apparently so." mr. davenport snapped at him, and leo just nodded slowly.

"only problem is, i can't figure out how to get it on the train." davenport said. i heard a gasp beside me, and saw bree light up.

"are you guys thinking what i'm thinking?" bree asked.

"our first mission!" bree and chase said in unison.

"i want a pet pig!" adam shouted excitedly. we all looked at him weirdly and his smile dropped quickly.

"no. no, no, no. you are not prepared for this kind of mission. it is a highly volatile situation. down the line - fingers crossed - there will be plenty of other horrible disasters." davenport said, and i gave him a weird look.

"nice thing to keep your fingers crossed for." i said and he playfully glared at me.

"yeah, but you need to stop this train now. and you need us to help you do it. your career depends on it." chase said, trying to convince davenport.

"please, mr. davenport. this is what you trained us for!" bree begged.

mr. davenport thought about it for a minute, before eventually giving in.

"alright. you gotta leave the nest sometime."

adam, bree, and chase started jumping up and down. leo and i high-fived excitedly. their first mission!!

"get in your capsules guys. i can't believe i'm saying this.... it's time to upgrade your mission suits." davenport said excitedly.

the three of them ran to their capsules while davenport, leo, and i all ran over to the control panel. chase and bree got in their capsules, but adam turned around real quick.

"i hope you addressed the chaffing problem." he said before getting in their capsules

mr. davenport pressed a button, and in under five seconds, the capsules had the three of them in their new mission suits. they stepped out, and i had to admit that they looked awesome!

"sweet!" adam said excitedly.

all of a sudden, his body moved to a weird position.

"oh! i see you put in the seat warmers!"

oh jeez.

"alright," mr. davenport said as he walked back over to the huge bag, " we'll be able to use these earpieces to communicate, and i'll monitor your progress on the transervalence system so that way if you blow yourselves up in a fiery explosion, i can watch it unfolding on glorious HD." mr. davenport said with a huge smile, but it slowly disappeared after he realized what he just said.

"that came out wrong."

"we get to go on our first mission!" chase said excitedly.

"we get to save lives!" bree said.

"seriously, i want a pig!" adam shouted. we all gave him weird looks as mr. davenport started passing out the earpieces.

"bree.... chase.... adam." he said as he was passing them out.

"hey!" adam said. i looked over and saw that leo has taken his earpiece.

"leo!" mr. davenport said.

"well what else are haley and i supposed to use? two cans and a string?" he asked.

"he has a point. i came over to see some training. the last thing i expected to happen was a mission. i want to be involved somehow." i said.

mr. davenport gave us a look, and we sighed as leo gave the earpiece back to adam. that's when tasha came down into the lab.

"well, your favorite news reporter just got her big break." she said with a huge smile on her face.

"linda montierrez?" chase asked.

"chip spudnick?" bree asked.

"tom comstan with sports?" adam asked.

"noooo, me!" tasha said, "i am done reporting in singing dogs and babies who look like ex-presidents. the network finally gave me a real assignment. i'm covering a runaway train!"

"no way! ain't that a coinky dink mr. davenport-" adam started to say as he walked towards tasha, but mr. davenport cut him off as he ran around the counter to his wife.

"is, uh, so proud of you honey!" he said, as he gave adam a look.

"will you watch leo? i have a train to catch." tasha said.

"absolutely, and don't forget, be balanced and fair, collect all the facts, and blame the conductor because he's an idiot." mr. davenport said as he walked back over to us. tasha gave him a weird look and nodded before getting back on the elevator.

"this stinks." leo groaned, and i nodded in agreement.

"everybody gets to go on an adventure except us." i groaned, referring to leo and i.

"guys, just because you can't go on the train doesn't mean we can't have fun here! i'll pop in the 'goober the spunky caboose' dvd for ya!" mr. davenport said, and adam nodded excitedly next to him. leo and i gave them weird looks.

"seriously? i'm fifteen!" i said.

"yeah, and i'm fourteen!" leo said.

"okay, then pop it in yourself." mr. davenport said offended.

"c'mon guys. we don't have a lot of time. we've gotta get you in your gear." mr. davenport told adam, bree, and chase.

the four of them walked out of the room, leaving just leo and i. the black bag still sat on the counter, and i suddenly got the best idea i've ever came up with. i walked over to the counter and placed the bag on the ground.

"what are you doing?" leo asked me.

"do you want to go on a train that's going 400 miles per hour?" i asked him, and he nodded his head.

"well then get in." i smirked, as i got in the bag. he got in right after me and zipped up the bag. i would've minded the fact that leo was literally laying in top of me more if we weren't going on a speed train.

honestly, how did the others not expect this from us?

-------

"adam, don't touch that! it's nuclonium." i heard chase say.

"well, that's why i want to touch it." adam said like a little kid.

leo and i were currently on the roof of the train. we were still in the black bag, and the others still didn't know we were in it. i have no idea how, but right now, i was just hoping that we wouldn't roll off of this train.

"i don't remember where i left the mission bag!" i heard adam says a couple of minutes later.

"it's on the roof!" leo yelled, nearly busting my eardrum.

"would you shut up?!" i said.

"oh, thanks bag!" adam yelled, and i rolled my eyes.

"alright, we're going to roll into the train." leo said.

"good idea. let's do that instead of sitting on top of the train like we have been for the past TEN MINUTES!" i yelled at him. he glared at me, and i glared back.

"you better cool it, princess." he warned, and i rolled my eyes.

"on three. one.... two.... three!"

we both rolled towards the hole, and i felt us falling. we hit the ground with a hard this, and we both groaned in pain. leo quickly unzipped the bag, and he finally wasn't laying on top of me. one thing for sure, that was never happening again.

"leo?" bree asked.

"haley?" chase asked.

"leo! haley!" i heard mr. davenport shout through one of the ear pieces. i got all the way out of the bag, and stood up.

"which way is the dining car? i would like to get a bite to eat before i save the town of welkerville!" leo shouted as he placed both hands on his hips. the four of us rolled our eyes.

"what are you guys doing here?" bree asked us.

"just stopping for some coffee." i said sarcastically, and she just glared at me.

"we're here to join the mission! we want to be like you guys!" leo said.

"but leo, you aren't like us. i don't mean that in a bad way. we just have really cool, super fun features and you don't." adam said, and i glared at him.

"haley, leo, where's the decelerator we need to stop this train?" chase asked us.

"i thought it was in the bag?" i said.

"you mean the funny metal thing that was poking me in the butt?" leo asked. we all glared at leo. why would he take the one thing we needed on this mission out of the bag?!

"it's right here!" i heard mr. davenport hiss through chase's earpiece.

--------

chase had found two more earpieces for leo and i so we could hear mr. davenport, even though i could hear him clearly through chase's. he was pretty mad at us, but oh well. i never thought i would be on an actual mission!

"guys, i'm supposed to be watching you!" mr. davenport said to us.

"you are in glorious HD!" leo said.

"leo, without the decelerator, we can't stop the train!" chase said, and i rolled my eyes.

"look, he made a mistake! yes, i know we're in some huge crap right now, but it was an accident." i defended leo.

"mr. davenport, what are we going to do?" bree asked.

"i'm coming to get leo and haley! if he blows up on that train, then i'll have to get tasha a puppy! i'll bring the decelerator on my high speed helicopter. wow! how many guys can say that they have chased their high speed train, in their high speed helicopter? i'm awesome!" mr. davenport said, and i sighed. this man was a trip.

"so i downloaded the train's route before we left the house. let me pull it up so i can calculate how much time we have left." chase said.

he placed his fingers to his temple, and all of a sudden, a huge, blue digital map pops out of his eye. how am i still not used to this stuff yet?

"oh no! guys, there's only a 2% chance that we can save the train, and if the train goes, we go! brace yourselves!" chase panicked after he was done calculating. we wrapped his arms around a large, metal tube, "bionic people do not explode well!"

"chase, relax. there is a possibility we can survive the crash." bree said, trying to look on the bright side.

"oh, leo and haley won't." adam said. mine and leo's eyes widened.

"oh right. nevermind!" bree said in agreement.

"wow, thanks guys." i muttered.

"i'm sorry you guys have to see me like this. i know you think of me as you ultra-competent, unwavering, fearless leader." chase said in disappointment, but we all gave him weird looks. chase is my friend, but woah. was he really that full of himself?

"no not really." adam said.

"just the opposite really." bree agreed with adam.

"how are you fearless when you freak out over a school bell?" i asked, and leo nodded in agreement. chase looked offended by all of our comments. i sighed, and placed my hand on chase's shoulder.

"chase, everything is going to be fine. mr. davenport is on his way with the decelerator in his high speed helicopter." i reassured him.

"but what if we can't attach the device? what if the sudden stop causes the train to tip? what if mr. davenport gets caught in a traffic jam?!" chase asked still panicking. we all gave him weird looks.

"in a helicopter?" bree asked.

"there could be birds." chase said as if it was the most obvious thing.

"yes because a big group of birds is just going to fly directly towards mr. davenport, and either cause him to stop or get in a flying bird accident." i said sarcastically, and chase glared at me.

"yeah, birds driving cars in the sky? i don't think so." adam said, even though that wasn't even close to what i meant.

"chase, you're overthinking this! the answer is simple. if sally is on a train traveling at a certain speed x, she's going to reach a curb at a certain time y. all we need to do is multiple x by y, and find out if we have enough track to stop." leo said as it was the most obvious thing in the world, and my mind was officially blown.

"okay, if you can do all of that, then why are you failing math?" i asked him.

"math is only important in emergencies." he replied.

"okay, but what if sally is sitting on enough nuclonium to reduce an entire city to a stain?" chase asked leo.

"well, then sally should've taken the bus!" i answered for him.

--------

leo was sitting down, and i stood beside him as adam, bree, and chase were pacing around the train. we all couldn't think of a way to calm ourselves down. well, it's kind of hard to considering the fact we might be dead in ten minutes.

"oh i know!" leo suddenly said.

we all looked at him quickly.

"in the movie spark man and the train from tomorrow, spark man jumps in front of the train and stops it with his pinky! just do that!" leo said to adam while hitting his arm lightly.

"leo, i don't have that ability." adam said to him.

"well then you need an upgrade." leo said to him. we all gave him weird looks.

suddenly, there was a horn coming from above us. we all looked in the hole at the top of the train and saw mr. davenport in his high speed helicopter!

"guys! davenport's here! he's really here!" chase cheered, "i told you we'd be fine."

"no you didn't." adam said.

"i don't remember that." leo said.

"just the opposite actually." bree said.

"that's why you hugged a metal pipe and cried like leo usually does." i said. leo and chase both looked offended.

"hey princess!" leo yelled.

"it's the truth! when we saw pig zombie together, you held onto me and cried the entire time." i said. leo glared at me while the others laughed.

"okay, i'm going to drop the decelerator now. make sure you catch it! it's very delicate!" mr. davenport said once we were all underneath the hole.

"okay." adam said, and for some reason, he had a huge grin on his face. who even knows with him.

"pretend it's a baby!" davenport said.

"okay!" adam yelled, starting to get annoyed.

mr. davenport dropped the decelerator, but it never made it through the hole. we heard a whole bunch of clanging on the top of the train, and after each noise we heard, we all winced.

"pretend that i caught it!" adam yelled.

"you know, for the record, when i fill out the incident report, i'm putting human error!" davenport said frustrated.

"okay, this just went from comic-book cool to real-life terrifying! my new mission is to get the heck off this train!" leo said.

"that's been my mission ever since you took the 'pointy metal thing' out of the bag." i said to him.

"alright, we're gonna have to abort the mission! i never liked welkerville anyways." davenport muttered, "i'll drop down the rope ladder! leo and haley up first!"

"don't have to tell me twice!" leo said as he ran to the ladder that was just dropped.

i would've ran, but i stayed right next to adam, bree, and chase.

"come on guys! let's go home and have some cocoa!"

we all didn't go towards the ladder. i knew that staying was the right thing to do.

"if you want to leave, you can. we'll understand, and all we care about is if you & leo are safe." chase muttered in my ear beside me.

"i'm not leaving." i said to him.

"why?" he asked.

"because it was my idea to come on this mission in the first place. i came here to help you guys, and that is exactly what i'm going to do. you don't abandon friends when they need you the most." i said to him. he just gave me a light smile in appreciation, and i returned it.

"guys! cocoa!" leo whined as he motioned his head towards the hole of the train.

"we can't quit now." bree said.

"if we do, it means we failed our first mission." chase said.

"yeah. i mean, we've been training our whole lives for this moment, and we're not giving up." adam said to us.

"come on! this thing is about to crash, and we've done everything humanly possible." leo said, and adam, bree, and chase put their heads down.

"but that's just it." i said. everybody looked at me.

"mr. davenport made them superhuman. when all else fails, they can't. they put theirselves in danger for the sake of humanity." i explained to leo. the three of them smiled as they put their arms around each other.

"why are you staying then?" leo asked me confused.

"i may not be superhuman, but i am human, and humans don't give up on their friends. i came here for one reason, and that was to help my friends stop this train. i'm not going back until we do." i said determined. they all smiled at me, which i returned. i could tell that leo now felt bad for wanting to leave.

"well, if you guys aren't going, i'm not going either." leo said as he got off the ladder.

"guys, this is too dangerous for you." bree said to us.

"what did you just not get about the fact that we really don't care?" i asked.

"please, my middle name is danger." leo said.

"i thought it was francis." adam said.

"it's pronounced danger!" leo snapped.

"leo, haley, we're running out of time. and by we, i mean you. now get up the ladder now!" davenport yelled.

"we're coming!" leo said into the earpiece as i grabbed the first aid box, and attached it onto the ladder. since leo was the size of a twig, it seemed like the weight would be balanced out.

"we're climbing up the ladder right now. pull us up!" leo said as i tugged on the ladder to make it seem like we were climbing up. mr. davenport lifted up the ladder, and once it was up, leo quickly pressed the button that closed the hatch.

"you guys are crazy! what are you doing?" chase asked us.

"we're all in this together." leo said.

"we may not be superhuman, but it doesn't mean we can't be heroes." i finished as i placed my hand on leo's shoulder. he looked up and smiled at me, which i returned.

"a first aid kit?! guys, when i open this thing, you better be inside!" mr. davenport threatened, "what do you guys think you're doing?"

"we're completing our mission." chase said determined. i could hear mr. davenport's yelling as we all took off our earpieces and threw them on the ground. we all gathered around chase as he placed his fingers to his temple, and his digital map popped out of his eye again. now that i think about it, that sounded kind of creepy.

"alright, we have approximately three minutes to slow this things down before it hits the turn and flies off the tracks." chase told us as he put away his eye map.

"okay, let's think," leo began, "objects in motion remain in motion unless and external force blocks it." my eyes widened. leo actually knew stuff from school.

"so what could block our path?" bree asked.

"oh! i got it! we could put the nuclonium tanks in front of the train." adam said. we all have him a weird look.

"then the train would blow up." bree said.

"thus stopping it." adam said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"adam, if the train blows up, then we blow up." i explained.

"oh...." he sighed.

"if only wiley coyote was here. he'd have a giant rubber band he can tie around two trees to stop this thing." leo said jokingly, but chase's face lit up. i started getting excited and went over to chase.

"you have an idea! you have an idea!" i said as i grabbed his arms.

"oh, i definitely have an idea! the reed bennett bridge is 19.8 miles ahead. our repelling ropes are unbreakable, so if bree ties them all together-" chase started.

"i could use my super speed to run ahead and wrap around the bridge's supports!" bree continued.

"and then adam can use his super strength to hold the rope and stop the train!" chase finished.

"let's do this thing!" bree yelled.

the three of them ran over to the other side of the train as i stood next to leo.

"leo, i can't believe i'm saying this, but you're a genius!" i said, but he just laughed slightly. i gave him a confused look.

"did i mention wiley coyote dies in every episode?" leo asked, and we all just stared at him.

"get the bag." adam said to him. leo handed him the bag, and adam opened the train door. as soon as the door opened, the bag flew out of leo's hands.

"can we shoot that up to human error?" leo yelled over the wind, and adam nodded his head.

we all backed away from bree, and she looked at us once before super speeding out of the train. she came back in less than twenty seconds with the rope.

"alright, the rope's secure." she said as she handed the rope to adam.

"also look what the train did to this penny!" she said excitedly as she held it up to us. it looked really cool!

"woah!" we all said.

"and this squirrel." she said as she pulled out a dead squirrel

"ew!" we all yelled.

adam tied the rope around his waist. i became nervous as he sat down and grabbed onto the door frame. what if this doesn't work?

"guys, what if this doesn't work? i mean, I know i'm strong, but this goes way beyond our training scenarios. what if i can't do it?" adam asked.

"adam, strength doesn't just come from your muscles. it also comes from your mind." bree said.

"okay, maybe someone else should take the rope." chase suggested, and we all glared at him.

"adam, this is everything you guys prepared for. you can do this," i said as i bent down, "just believe in yourself. i believe in you." i said, as i sat down and wrapped my arms around adam's waist.

"i believe in you too!" chase said as he sat down and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"if there is one person i know who could do this, it would be you. i believe in you." bree said as she wrapped her arms around chase's waist.

"i just spent four hours in a bag without a bathroom. i think my support goes without saying." leo said, as he sat down and wrapped his arms around bree's waist.

"okay, here we go. twenty seconds." chase informed us. we all started to get ready, but bree's phone started ringing.

"hello? what?! oh no!" bree exclaimed. i started to get worried.

"what happened?" chase asked.

"yeah, what is it now?" adam asked.

"caitlin just broke up with rodney!" she exclaimed, and adam gasped. i turned around and looked at chase, and we both rolled our eyes. now is not the time for this!

"bree, this is serious!" chase said.

"i know! they've been dating for three months!" she exclaimed, and i mentally facepalmed.

"oh, hey! can i talk to her for a sec?" chase asked bree, and she nodded as she handed him the phone. he smiled at bree, and then threw it out of the train. she gasped, as i started laughing.

thank you, chase!

"that was a good one!" adam said to me, when he heard me laughing. i nodded in agreement.

"okay, guys! five seconds." chase said. i tightened my grip around adam's waist, as chase tightened his grip on mine. they both tensed up, and i knew that they were nervous out of their minds.

"four, three, two, one!" we all lurched to the side, and screamed. sparks started flying up from the train tracks, and i held onto adam tightly the more we leaned over. after a couple of seconds, it went dark. there was a jolt, and the lights came back on. some cases were knocked over, and we all slowly got up. that's when i realized the plan worked. we stopped the train!

"we're alive! you guys did it!" leo exclaimed.

"we completed our first mission!" bree cheered as chase and adam high fived.

"ow! rope burn!" adam whined, "has anybody seen the first aid kit?"

leo and i looked at each other, and slowly looked away.

"we did it, and that includes you guys too," chase started, "leo, if you didn't waste your life watching cartoons everyday, we might be dead right now. haley, if it weren't for your courage and determination, i don't think this mission would've been possible. you helped keep the hope alive." leo and i looked at each other and smiled.

"so what's our next mission? a runaway rocket, or a sinking battleship?" leo asked excitedly.

"how about trying to explain this entire thing to tasha?" i asked him.

"that's a mission we'll never return from." leo told us as he slowly shook his head. the door at the end of the train opened, and mr. davenport walked inside the train.

"big d!" leo exclaimed as we all ran over to him.

"oh thank goodness! the train is okay." he said, and we all gave him a look, "and you guys! you guys are okay too. good!" he added quickly to cover up what he just said.

wow.

"first one back to the lab gets a food pellet smoothie!" mr. davenport said.

"yes!" adam, bree, and chase yelled as they ran out of the train. mr. davenport and i started to follow them, but we realized that leo wasn't following us.

"i haven't whizzed since reno. i'd like to avoid another disaster."

mr. davenport and i gave each other weird looks and nodded. we shut the door behind him, and let leo do his thing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

613 36 6
Tasha Davenport née Dooley and her son, Leo Dooley moves in to Donald Davenport's place in California, after she marries him. California is coinciden...
8.4K 376 30
Maddison Matthews, best friend of Leo Dooley. She looks like a normal girl, but she's hiding a big secret. She is not human. What will happen o...
151K 2.2K 24
Meet Daniella davenport or as everyone calls her Dani!! She is the twin of Chase davenport and is nothing like the bionic trio!! She is this brave, s...
33K 546 75
Cadence Dooley is Tasha's sons best friend; she moved in with leo and tasha after her parents died when she was 8 years old. she even changed her las...