This Love is Ours

By sugarszzz16

*** It is HIGHLY recommended that you read "Shooting Stars" before this book.*** "And one thing that will for... More

Author's Note
Introduction
Chapter 1: The Dance of Life
Chapter 2: Equivalence
Chapter 3: Quick Clicks
Chapter 4: Stolen Kisses
Chapter 5: The Art of Love
Chapter 6: Gravitational Beauty
Chapter 7: The Truth Hidden Inside
Chapter 8: State of Grace
Chapter 9: Midnight Lovers
Chapter 10: Dark Rain & Deep Pain
Chapter 11: Clear Skies
Chapter 12: Pure Passion
Chapter 13: A Cloudless Night
Chapter 14: Gateways
Chapter 15: Moonlight Waters
Chapter 16: Lovely Losers
Chapter 17: A Vivid Presence
Chapter 18: The Moments of Night
Chapter 19: Summer Nights & City Lights
Chapter 20: Burning Hearts
Chapter 21: Diamond Light
Chapter 22: Purest Eyes
Chapter 23: Intriguing Souls
Chapter 24: Fine Summer Nights
Chapter 25: The Wild & Crazy Side
Chapter 26: A Sibling's Bond
Chapter 27: Last Kiss
Chapter 28: Wandering Minds
Chapter 29: Nostalgia
Chapter 30: The Elegance of Anticipation
Chapter 31: The Unity of Souls
Chapter 32: In Love With the Untouchable
Chapter 33: Moon Halos
Chapter 34: Mysteriously Intriguing
Chapter 35: The World is Ours
Chapter 36: Tidal Waves
Chapter 37: Familiar Faces
Chapter 39: Changing Lives
Chapter 40: Time is Relative
Chapter 41: Free Falling
Chapter 42: The Unknown
Chapter 43: The Brilliance of Youth
Chapter 44: Lost & In Love
Chapter 45: Masterpiece
Chapter 46: Fathoming Thoughts
Chapter 47: The Immensity of Love
Chapter 48: Together
Chapter 49: New Love
Chapter 50: Explosions in the Sky
Chapter 51: Depth
Chapter 52: Discovering Dreams
Chapter 53: A Blissful Evening
Chapter 54: Webs of Emotions
Chapter 55: Friendships of Heart
Chapter 56: Currents Upon Oceans
Chapter 57: A Child's Heart
Chapter 58: Worlds Away
Chapter 59: State of Mind
Chapter 60: Double Joys
Chapter 61: Silence Screams
Chapter 62: A Real Beauty
Chapter 63: Rain-Washed Pasts
Chapter 64: Evening Bliss
Chapter 65: Brothers
Chapter 66: Deceiving Simplicity
Chapter 67: One for the Dagger
Chapter 68: The Kiss that Changed a Life
Chapter 69: Forest of Conscience
Chapter 70: Welcome to Reality
Chapter 71: Miracles Alone
Chapter 72: Falling From the Stars
Chapter 73: The Key to Life
Chapter 74: Balancing Simplicity
Chapter 75: Crashing Constellations
Chapter 76: Hazy Voices & Clear Minds
Chapter 77: Midnight Thoughts
Chapter 78: Measurements of Time
Chapter 79: The Moment Everything Changes
Chapter 80: Little Heartbeats
Epilogue

Chapter 38: Alive

432 23 155
By sugarszzz16

{Abigail}

"I can't believe it's hockey season again." Chaunette laughs, from the passenger seat.

I look over at her, smiling.

"I know. It's so exciting!" I giggle, as I change lanes.

"Summer went by so quickly. It's weird how that always happens." Natalie laughs, from the back seat of the car.

"Oh, I know. So much happened this summer." Chaunette says, sighing happily.

I smile, as I keep my eyes on the road.

It's Saturday, October 8, about 7:00 in the evening.

The NHL regular season starts tonight.

The Blackhawks season opener is also tonight, in Chicago.

The game is at 8:00, and the city is bubbling with excitement at the new hockey season.

Chaunette, Natalie, and I are driving to the United Center for the game tonight.

Yes, still, Natalie and Jonathan are separated.

They have been broken up since August.

Despite the fact that Natalie is no longer dating a Hawk, I always invite her to games.

We have grown incredibly close, and after all, she was one of my bridesmaids.

Unfortunately, neither Chaunette nor myself have really asked Natalie how she is doing with the breakup.

It's a sensitive topic, and for now, we mostly just let the silence do the talking.

The past two months have gone by so quickly, it's insane.

I've gone back to work, and that is going extremely well.

It's been nice, getting back to to photography after a summer away from it.

Patrick has been busy lately, with all of the pre-season games and practices, but we still find time for each other.

Our marriage is going strong.

It truly feels like just yesterday, Patrick and I were saying our vows.

Everyone always told me that with the love of your life, time is irrelevant.

Time doesn't matter.

It doesn't effect anything.

And I never really believed it.

Until now.

When I'm with Patrick, I truly don't feel like time is passing. Most of the time, I'm too wrapped up in him to even care about the time.

And that is one of the most beautiful feelings in the entire world.

"Did you work today, Abby?" Natalie asks, from the back seat.

"Yeah, I did. I had a family come in for pictures, and they had a dog, so that was amazing." I laugh, biting my lip.

"Oh God, you and your love for dogs." Natalie rolls her eyes, playfully.

"I've never met anyone so obsessed." Chaunette giggles, looking over at me from the passenger's seat.

I look back at her, and she smiles over to me.

Her hair is down and curled, and she's wearing a Shaw home jersey with leggings and brown boots.

She looks adorable, as always.

"I don't even know why I love them so much." I laugh, as I turn into the parking lot of the UC.

Chaunette and Natalie laugh with me, as I pull into the parking area that is reserved for Hawks players and their relatives or friends.

The three of us get out of the car, and I lock the doors.

It's a pleasant autumn evening in the city of Chicago.

The sun has stopped staying out so late, so it is somewhat dark outside.

It's a comfortable temperature, but the long summer nights have certainly passed.

Natalie, Chaunette, and I make our way across the parking lot and towards the United Center.

Excited fans buzz around the building, a sea of red moving with them.

The fans are beyond ecstatic tonight, and the atmosphere is already electric.

Oh, how I've missed Chicago hockey.

The three of us enter the United Center, the concourse busy and loud.

We make our way through the busy crowds, and everyone cheers loudly, as they make their way through the concourse.

Tonight, of course, is the night that the Blackhawks will raise their 2016 Stanley Cup Champions banner.

Hawks fans are passionately awaiting the start of the new season, and it's truly amazing to watch.

"Chicago hockey is my favorite thing." Natalie laughs, as the three of us make our way to our seats in our section.

"It's do-or-die, and that is certain." Chaunette agrees, as the three of us sit down.

"Oh man, it's good to be back here." I sigh, happily, as I look out onto the ice.

It's pure heaven out there.

The zamboni has just finished its run across the ice, leaving the entire surface shiny, smooth, and stunning.

The surface reflects the bright lights of the United Center coming from the roof, and it truly is a taste of heaven.

That ice surface is legendary.

So much has happened out there, it's incredible.

The Blackhawks are playing the Red Wings tonight, as the NHL decided to kick off the season with a rivalry night.

Not a bad idea, if I do say so myself.

"So how is the married life?" Chaunette asks, bluntly.

I look over to her, smiling.

"That was blunt." I laugh, running a hand through my light brown hair that I was too lazy to curl tonight.

"Well, it just crossed my mind." Chaunette shrugs, laughing.

I sigh, happily.

The "married" life is different, that's for sure.

It doesn't seem different in your everyday life or actions, but it feels different.

Knowing that you are truly bonded to your spouse, is a scary but fascinating feeling.

"It's pretty sweet. A lot of my clients know about Patrick and I, and so many of them have congratulated me. It feels really good." I laugh, looking out at the ice.

"Oh, I bet. Pretty much all of Chicago knows about your wedding, Abby! I mean, you married Patrick Kane. He's a Chitown hero." Natalie winks.

I blush, shaking my head.

"Yeah, but to me, he's just Pat. And that's who I love him for." I say, smiling out at the ice in front of me.

With that, the three of us girls sit quietly, occasionally talking for the next half an hour or so.

The boys have already come out for their first warmup of the season, and are just about to come out to start the game.

Suddenly, the lights are dimmed, and the crowd roars.

On the jumbo screen, a video starts playing.

I look up, and smile as I watch the video play.

The cheers are endless.

The passion in this building can be felt.

I have chills running through my bones.

The video is about five minutes, generally outlining the highlights from the playoffs and finals last year.

The video ends with clips of each Blackhawk with the Stanley Cup.

Suddenly, a spotlight shines on the ice, as each Hawk makes their way onto the surface, one-by-one.

The volume of the cheers increase.

It's insane.

This building is on fire tonight.

The Stanley Cup is sitting at center ice, on a circular table.

A spotlight shines brightly on it.

Suddenly, the players begin to come together to form two separate lines across from each other, and the Stanley Cup Champions 2016 banner is brought onto the ice, by about ten youth hockey players.

The crowd goes absolutely nuts at this.

The smile on my face is huge, and fire is burning through my veins.

Adrenalin.

This rush.

This is absolutely fucking incredible.

The players all take a different part of the banner, and slowly begin skating towards the corner of the rink, a part of the banner all in their hands.

They arrive at the corner of the rink, and slowly the banner begins to rise.

The cheers only get louder as the banner is now suspended in the air, slowly making its way up towards the rafters.

The spotlight shines on the banner as it moves upwards, and I smile clapping and cheering loudly.

"LONG LIVE THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!" I scream, cupping my hands over my mouth.

Chaunette and Natalie smile, screaming and cheering passionately with me.

The banner reaches its place in the rafters, amongst all the other proud banners up there.

There are now seven Stanley Cup Championship banners.

1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2014, and 2016.

I shake my head, smiling.

Long live this team.

Truly, honestly, long live this team.

After about ten minutes of pure passion and ecstatic cheering, the lights are turned back on.

The Red Wings make their way onto the ice, but the crowd is still too excited to even notice.

After a few more minutes, the American national anthem is sung by the famous Jim Cornelison, and the crowd continues to roar at that.

After the anthem is sung, the Blackhawks send out their starting line up.

Jonathan lines up at center ice, Marian Hossa and Brandon Saad at his wings.

Amongst the roaring crowds of passionate fans, the puck is dropped.

And with that, the 2016-2017 Chicago Blackhawks season, begins.

***

"OH MY GOD WHAT AN AMAZING GAME." Chaunette screams, as she jumps up and down screaming.

"IT'S ONE FOR THE DAGGER," I scream, raising my arms up.

"AND ANOTHER FOR THE ONE YOU BELIEVE!" Chaunette and Natalie finish for me.

We all laugh, continuing to cheer as the Blackhawks salute the crowd down at center ice.

The Chicago Blackhawks have just won their season opener, 6-2, over the Detroit Red Wings.

The goals were scored by Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp, two by Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and of course, Brandon Saad.

The fans are roaring in excitement, the sea of red in the United Center all singing passionately to Chelsea Dagger.

The goal horn goes twice, and the fans continue to chant Chelsea Dagger.

"Oh how I've missed hockey season." I mutter to myself, smiling.

I look back out at center ice, and the boys are starting to make their way back through the tunnel and into the locker room.

After about five minutes, Chaunette, Natalie, and I make our way out of our section, into the busy concourse.

It's loud as people cheer excitedly and walk through the concourse, towards the exits.

"Shall we head to the locker room?" I ask, smiling.

"Yeah sure!" Chaunette smiles, as she throws her purse around her shoulder.

I nod, and with that we head down the concourse, and towards the private entrance that leads to the Blackhawks dressing room.

After a few flights of stairs, the three of us find ourselves in the hallway that I know all too well.

It's cement on either side, and it leads to one of the entrances to the Blackhawks dressing room.

A few of the other wives and girlfriends stand in the hallway, waiting for their significant others.

Chaunette, Natalie, and I greet Abby Sharp and Kelly-Rae Keith, whom are already down here.

As more wives, girlfriends, and a few Blackhawks children begin to make their way down into the hallway, we all begin talking together.

Thanks to the wedding and pre-season, it hasn't been forever since I last saw most of these girls.

But it is still nice to see them and catch up, especially after a solid win.

Right then, the Blackhawks dressing room door swings open, and Patrick walks out wearing a Blackhawks hat, a dri-fit t-shirt and a pair of athletic shorts.

I smile, watching in awe as he makes his way towards me.

"Hey love." He says, putting his arm around me and pressing a kiss against my cheek.

I wrap my arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"You played amazing, Pat." I say, looking up at him.

His eyes are a passionate ocean of blue, and his smooth, even skin is soft.

His blonde curls are slightly damp as they escape the back of his hat.

He hasn't showered yet.

But I don't mind.

He came out to say hi to me, before he even showered.

And for some reason, that is really sweet.

"I hope you don't mind how sweaty I am." He winks.

I roll my eyes, playfully.

"You're so full of yourself." I tease, smiling.

He laughs, squeezing my shoulder.

"Hey Patrick!" Chaunette smiles, as she notices Pat has come out of the locker room.

"Hey Chaun! Hey Natalie!" He smiles, waving to them.

"Do you want to do something tonight?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Yeah! I invited Jonny and Andrew back to our place tonight for drinks," Patrick says, looking down at me.

I smile, nodding.

"You girls are invited too." Pat laughs, looking across at Natalie and Chaunette.

"Sounds good. Chaun, Natalie, and I will meet you boys back at the apartment. Now go shower." I giggle, slapping his ass as he turns to head back into the locker room.

Honestly, Patrick has a really nice ass.

It's firm and muscular as fuck.

I bite my lip, as he winks at me before heading back into the locker room.

I roll my eyes, laughing.

What a goof.

"Alright, I guess we should head back to your place then?" Natalie asks, smiling.

"Yeah sounds good." I nod, as we say goodbye to the other Blackhawks wives and girlfriends, before leaving the hallway.

We head up the few flights of stairs, and find ourselves back in the concourse of the UC.

It's still fairly busy, and loud, at that.

We make our way out of the United Center, and the crisp autumn air fills my lungs as we leave the building.

It's still busy around the UC as fans leave the building, hanging around outside.

It's pretty dark out by now, as it is about 11:00.

Chaunette, Natalie, and I make our way to my car, where we all get in.

I start the car, and pull out of the parking spot.

Within ten minutes, we are driving down the main road that leads back into Downtown Chicago.

"To be honest, your man's goal tonight was a beauty." Natalie laughs, as she watches the Hawks highlights on her phone.

I laugh, as I change lanes.

"Yeah, he has a thing for nice goals." I wink.

We all laugh together.

"I'm so happy hockey season is back," Chaunette sighs, happily.

"Like I know that things get super busy, and I won't see Andrew nearly as much as I got to see him during the summer, but it's just really great to have it back." She finishes, looking out the window.

The city lights pass by us, as we move through Downtown Chicago.

The nightlife is vivid, and very much alive on this fine Saturday evening.

"I know what you mean. The boys have such passion for it, and almost seem lost without it during the summer." I laugh, as I turn into the underground parking lot at Trump Tower.

"Exactly." Chaunette nods, smiling.

I pull into a parking space underground, and the three of us girls get out of the car.

We head towards the elevator, and I press floor eighty-four once we do.

"I love your outfit, Nat." I say, as the elevator begins to ascend.

"Thanks Abby." She says, softly.

Natalie is wearing leggings, brown boots, and a black Blackhawks t-shirt.

Her hair is down and curled, and she looks truly beautiful.

She always does, to be honest.

I really feel for her, because she offered Jonathan so much support, and then one day, he just called things off.

There was no warning.

Everything was going fine, and then one day, it just came "crashing down", as Natalie describes it.

"I hope you don't mind that Patrick invited Jonathan." I say, as the elevator comes to a stop, and the three of us file out into the hallway leading down to our apartment.

Natalie shakes her head.

"I haven't seen him in a while. It will be nice to see him again." She shrugs, her voice quiet.

I glance over at Chaunette, and she gives me a bittersweet smile.

"Do you and Jonny still talk? Because I know you guys were best friends even before you started dating. I mean you've known each other for a while, and you guys were so close." Chaunette asks.

I unlock the door to the apartment, and swing the door open.

We walk in, and the million-dollar view greets us as we do so.

At the end of the apartment, the city lights shine through the window.

The lights are reflected off of the dark surface of Lake Michigan.

I close the door behind Chaunette and Natalie.

"Not as much as we used to. I haven't even said anything to him in over a month, probably." Natalie shrugs, as she places her purse on the ground by her boots.

"I'm sorry, Nat." I say, quietly.

"Don't be. There's nothing to be sorry about." She laughs, as the three of us make our way further into the apartment.

With that, we change the subject.

The three of us get a few bottles of wine out from the cabinet, and six glasses.

We pour ourselves a few drinks, and head over to the dinner table, that sits at the end of the apartment.

Chaunette takes her Shaw jersey off, leaving her in a grey v-neck, and I run upstairs to change out of my Kane jersey into a casual black t-shirt.

After that, we sit down, and begin laughing and chatting together.

We talk about the view that sits literally just outside our window, and how it strikes us every single time we see it.

We talk about the game tonight, and how Natalie's work is going.

Apparently Natalie can't stand one of the hygienists at her office, and so she needed to vent all the things about this certain woman that piss her off.

By the time Natalie is finished ranting, Chaunette and I are nearly on the ground crying because of how funny it is.

Listening to Nat rant is fucking hilarious.

Right then, the three boys make their way into the apartment, and deep laughter fills the whole room.

"Hey girls!" Pat calls, as they make their way over to the dinner table.

Chaunette and I quickly try to recover from our laugh attack, positioning ourselves back on our chairs.

"Hey Patrick," I say, biting my lip to keep myself from laughing.

Natalie's rants are on point.

"What's so funny?" Shawzy laughs, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Nothing." Chaunette replies, quickly.

Patrick shrugs.

"Alrighty then..." He trails off, laughing.

"You guys can get yourselves a few drinks, and then join us here if you want." I say, looking up at Patrick.

He nods, and then the three boys head off into the kitchen.

In a few minutes, they have returned and they all sit down with us girls.

I watch carefully as Jonathan picks his spot.

He sits next to Natalie.

I wasn't expecting that, to be honest.

Patrick and Andrew are still in the kitchen, so I eavesdrop on Jonathan and Natalie's conversation.

They are talking quietly, and their voices can almost not be heard over the laughing that is coming from the kitchen.

"It's nice to see you again, Nat." Jonathan says, looking over to her.

I glance over at Chaunette, and she smiles back at me.

"You too, Jonathan. Good game tonight." She chuckles.

"Thanks." He says, smiling over at her.

She smiles back, and then looks down at her lap.

Small talk.

That is to be expected, of course.

I mean, it has to be a little awkward.

As hard as they both tried to keep it as un-awkward as possible, it's still going to be slightly awkward.

Right then, Pat and Andrew join us at the dinner table.

Patrick sits next to me, and Andrew, next to Chaun.

"Well it sure is nice to be back in your apartment Kaner, because damn do you have a nice fucking place." Andrew laughs, as he sits back in his chair, looking out the window.

We have a few lights on in the apartment, so the city lights aren't quite as easy to see as they would be if the entire floor was dark.

But nonetheless, they are still beautiful.

"Thanks man." Patrick laughs, shaking his head.

"I miss this place." Jonathan says, shaking his head.

"You're always welcome here, Jonny. This is still your home, you know." Patrick says, as he places his left hand on my thigh.

His hand is large, and warm.

I look over to him, and he looks back at me, a small smile on his face.

He's wearing a Blackhawks dri-fit shirt, and jeans.

I place my hand over top of his, feeling his wedding ring under my hand.

He never takes it off.

Never.

"I appreciate it." Jonathan smiles, laughing.

The six of us all begin talking, and then telling funny stories.

Chaunette tells the story about Andrew out at the lake in Ontario this past summer, and how he face planted and wiped out while water skiing.

Andrew's face turned bright red at that story.

Patrick then tells the embarrassing story about how I fell out of bed one night, and woke up with a black eye.

I don't even know how it happened, but it hurt.

Suddenly, Jonathan speaks up.

"That reminds me of the jogging story." Jonathan laughs, looking over at Natalie.

Natalie shakes her head, turning bright red.

"Don't you dare!" She laughs, looking over at him.

He smiles, shaking his head.

"I have to tell it." He says.

She rolls her eyes.

"Fine." Natalie sighs.

Jonathan laughs, before speaking.

"When I first moved into The Regatta Chicago, I kept seeing Natalie jogging outside of my building. That's actually how we met, but that's aside from the story," He laughs.

"Oh God." Natalie says, shaking her head.

Her face is flushing red.

"I remember one morning, Natalie was jogging past my place, and I had no idea who she was, but I know that I had seen her running there before. As she was jogging down the sidewalk, she got caught up in her own feet, and completely wiped out on the cement. Fell flat on her butt, just ate shit, it was the funniest thing ever." Jonathan laughs, looking over at Natalie.

"It was NOT funny. It hurt!" She giggles, shaking her head.

We all laugh.

"After I finally stopped laughing at her wipeout, I realized I should probably go ask her if she needed help, since she wasn't getting up." Jonathan admits, laughing.

"You laughed at me!? You never told me that!" Natalie cries, her jaw dropped.

"Oops." Jonathan laughs.

"Anyways, that's officially how we met. I went down to where she was sprawled out on the sidewalk, and asked if she needed help. She had sprained her ankle and cut up her knees and elbows, so I helped her back to her apartment." Jonathan says, nodding.

Natalie looks over at Jonathan, both blushing and smiling.

I can truly tell that she is still so in love with that boy, but she has to hide her feelings.

And that is tough.

But while Jonathan was telling that story, I could also really tell that a part of Jonathan misses the friendship and relationship he had with Natalie.

I mean, they were such good friend for so long, and no matter what, that doesn't just go away.

And despite how long it had been since those feelings surfaced, while Jonathan was telling that story, you could tell they were there.

"That's hilarious, and something Abigail would do." Patrick laughs, winking at me.

"Hey!" I say, defending myself.

He blows me a kiss, smirking.

I roll my eyes, laughing.

Andrew then begins telling an embarrassing story about Chaunette, but I'm too caught up in my own thoughts to listen.

The skyline glistens brightly through the floor-to-ceiling windows beside us.

We all sit with wine glasses in hand, enjoying a blissful evening, telling stories and sharing our friendships with one another.

Patrick keeps his hand resting on my thigh, and his touch is electrifying through my entire body.

I've lost track of time, and I'm not even concerned about it.

And it is at moments like these, that I realize I am in love with being alive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 79 60
Valerie loves her life the way she always thought it should be, alone. Taking every precaution to make sure that her place is only temporary no matte...
18.4K 383 60
Kayleigh has lived her whole life trying to make a mind of her own. Even with being raised in a city where education is flawed and ideal are narrow m...
187K 3.9K 66
“I’m in love with you like the moon is in love with the Earth, following it around like a child chasing their hero, controlling the tides of life tha...
4.7K 98 19
Patrick Kane relives his and Jonathan Toews's relationship as Jonathan fights for his life.