Childhood Crushes

By MissDaggerOfficial

Annabelle Sage grew up in a small town in Tennessee with her three older brothers and her dad. She goes to a... More

Prologue/Chapter One - Beaver? Who's Beaver?
Chapter Two - Beaver the Cow Doesn't Have a Boyfriend, Alright?
Chapter Three - Detention WITH Ashley? Um, Ew.
Chapter Four - Beaver the Hero of the Year-o!
Chapter Five - Harold Lyttle
Chapter Six - Panic Attacks Just Feel Like A Fat Guy Is Sitting On Your Chest
Chapter Seven - 'You're Just Jealous.' Beaver's Latest Catchphrase...?
Chapter Eight - Pearl Necklace
Chapter Nine - A Choice to Make
Chapter Ten - Abused Penut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
Chaptter Eleven - Bus Station Fights
Chapter Twelve - Attack Of The Purple Butterflies
Chapter Thirteen - You Can't Boot Scoot To Britney Spears
Chapter Fourteen - Big Ben, The Clock Who Lives In France
Chapter Fifteen - Surprise Vacation
Chapter Sixteen - Got You All Figured Out
Chapter Seveteen - Congratulations Graduates!
Chapter Eighteen - I Am Not A Baby
Chapter Nineteen - Questions, Questions, Questions
Chapter Twenty - Compairing
Chapter Twentyone - Juliet
Chapter Twentytwo - Bale The Fish-Man
Chapter Twentythree - Small Gathering
Chapter Twentyfour - Cake Fights In A Bar
Chapter Twentyfive - Late Night Meeting
Chapter Twentysix - Riverside Wonders
Chapter Twentyseven - AH-MAY-ZING!
Chapter Twentyeight - Neon Moon
Chapter Twentynine - Dreaming Of What Can't Be
Chapter Thirty - Bridal Shop
Chapter Thirtyone - Junk In The Trunk
Chapter Thirtytwo - The Notebook
Chapter Thirtythree - Which Napkin? White, White, Or White?
Chapter Thirtyfive - Lime Green or Champagne?
Chapter Thirtysix - Brutal Awakening...
Chapter Thirtyseven - Found
Chapter Thirtyeight - Do You Take Harry Lyttle To Be Your Husband?
Chapter Thirtynine - TTFN: Ta Ta For Now
Chapter Forty - You're GOING To College, Whether You Like It Or Not
Chapter Fourty-one - Rooming With Mellisa Williams
Chapter Forty-two - Living Off Peanut Butter
Chapter Fourty-Two - Olive Garden
Chapter Forty-three - Rejection Is Hard, But Not When You're Engaged
Chapter Forty-Four - To Find Something, You've Got To Look For It
Chapter Forty-Five - Starbucks at Midnight
Chapter Forty-Six - Fiancé or Not?
Chapter Forty-Seven: Be That Twenty-Seven Percent
Chapter Forty-Eight - Surprise!!
Chapter Forty-Nine - Welcome Home
Chapter Fifty - Any Idiot Would Know
Chapter Fifty-One - Horseback
Chapter Fifty-Two - Happy Thanksgiving

Chapter Thirtyfour - A Single Pearl

4.1K 104 6
By MissDaggerOfficial

It was Thursday; Ashley's wedding was only two days away. And after only a few days of reading, Dad and I were halfway through The Notebook, like he was before we started reading it together. He took over reading it to me, since every time I read it I would get sidetracked and go, "Wow, I can't believe he said that..." and read ahead before even finishing a page. He told me I'd never be a audio book reader, and I just laughed and curled up under his arm, listening to his melodic voice lull me to sleep.

Hazel and I walked around town today, going into shops. I had to tell her why their was a wedding dress, as well as a coral brides maids dress in our closet. When we passed by the gown shop, the woman still scowled at me, and Hazel thought it was the funniest thing she's ever seen.

Mostly, though, she's been with Billy B. I won't complain, though; I was having a good time with Ashley, Bale and Dad. Wow, that's something I would have never thought I'd say.

Squeezed in this recliner with Dad is the best though, and I never wanted to get up. When he finished chapter nine, he sighed and stood up, making me frown. "You want some hot chocolate, Annabelle?" He asked, walking into the kitchen. I nodded and followed him, sitting at the kitchen table and waited.

"I'm really glad you came down this summer, Annabelle." He smiled over his shoulder at me while he put a pot of water in the stove.

"I am too." I smiled back.

He winked at me and turned on a large fire under the pot, then walked over and sat down across from me. For some reason, flashes of the day I came home crying, after I punched Ashley, and we were sitting just this way. I smirked at the memory.

"You know, summer is almost over." He said.

I nodded, sadly.

"We'll have to plan out the next time you come down here."

My jaw dropped, "You mean it?"

He frowned, "Of course I do! You don't think I'm gonna wait another six years to see my baby girl, do you?"

Then why'd you wait six years in the first place? I wanted to ask, but just dropped it. We had already talked about this, last week. I just wanted to be happy. "Course not." I smiled.

We sat there, talking about the book, wondering what was going to happen next. He still refuses to tell me anything about the ending. "It'll spoil it." He would say, then finished with a wink and only laughed at my frown.

Soon, the pot of watering was bubbling up. "The water is boiling." I said.

"Nah, it's not boiling. Didn't your mama ever tell you? The water is scared of fire, and it's tryin' to jump outta the pot." He smiled and stood up to turn down the heat, add a little milk, sugar, and cocoa.

I giggled, "No, I've never heard that one."

"Well it's true! I can't believe I never told you that." He shook his head and was soon coming back to me with a big mug, about the size of my head, topped with whipped cream and marshmellows. "Come on, let's finish another chapter before we go to bed."

I smiled and carefully took my mug in the living room, setting it on the end table next to the recliner before plopping down on it. Dad sat down next and put his arm around me again as he pulled out the book and went back to our folded corner. "Ah, here we go, chapter 10..." He sighed.

I laid my head down and listened to him read, telling me the saddest love story I'd ever heard. It took every bone in my body, every taste bud on my tongue, every hair in my head to not cry in some of the parts. Sometimes the didn't help, though, and I'd end up spilling a few tears. Dad would just sniff, like the man he was. I think it's only because he's read this part before, and knows what to expect. We'll both be blubbering babies in the next sad part, I just know it.

Before I knew it, chapter 10 was over too! I wasn't even done with my hot cocoa. I frowned at the book while Dad folded the corner and chuckled at me. "Don't worry, we can finish our cocoa before we go to bed." He said.

I nodded and took a slow sip, wanting to stay up as long as I could with him.

"Anything new happening?" He asked. "How are you and Bale getting along?"

I almost choked on the marshmellow I had just captured. "Y-you know?!"

"Of course I do," He smiled. "Bale asked about you every time we saw the boy. Ever since you got here, he hasn't left this house for more than enough time to sleep."

I blushed; flattered by this information, but mostly because I had just kept it a secret because this was a family time, and I didn't want Dad to think I thought dating was more important. Looks like it didn't matter if I kept it a secret anyway.

"Yeah, we're good." I smiled.

"Good." He winked. "You two are real cute together, always have been. Even when you were kids, he had the biggest crush on you." He chuckled.

"He did?"

"Yeah! You didn't notice? He was always hangin' out with you, and every time you mentioned that boy you used to like, he'd frown. It was the cutest thing. Aw, when you left, he was heartbroken. Thought it was his fault." He shook his head and took a long sip of his cocoa.

Wow, I never knew any of this. I knew Bale loved me, but I always thought we were like brother and sister. Guess not. I giggled happily and took a sip of my cocoa too.

When we finished, I was yawning like crazy, and Dad had to practically shove me up the stairs to make me go to bed. "Good night, Annabelle." He chuckled.

"Night, Daddy." I smiled sleepily and went to my room. Hazel was already knocked out, and was taking up the entire bed. After brushing my teeth, I shoved her to one side of the bed so I had about a foot of mattress to myself; not much. Her wild, brown, curly hair kept flying into my face from the ceiling fan. I put the sheet over her head, so maybe it'd act like a hairnet. I even thought about getting kitchen scissors.

"Jeez oh Pete, Haze..." I huffed when stray hairs kept finding their way to my face.

"Leave my hair alone, cheese monkey..." She grumbled.

...What kind of dreams does she have?!

I rolled my eyes and turned onto my side, thinking about Allie, Noah, and Bale...

Bale

I opened the velvet case and slid it over to him, looking at him expectantly. If anyone knew anything about jewelry, it'd be Michael. He used to work in the jewelry store, he saw what men usually got women.

"Well, I'm flattered, but pearls aren't really my thing." He smirked.

"Not you, you idiot. Annabelle! Do you think she'd like it?"

Michael picked up the golden chain, in the middle hung a single delicate pearl. It was a light color of pink; one of her favorite colors.

"Why a pearl?" Michael asked, already knowing the answer.

"You remember when we were kids and her necklace broke. I promised her I'd get her another one, but I don't have enough money for a full set of pearls... This was already my full paycheck." And I'm not taking anymore hours. Annabelle won't be here forever, and I'm not working the entire time she's here.

"Awwwwwww!" A voice came from the tackle shop's door, and in walked Billy B. He was clapping at my gift. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or truly thought it was a nice gesture. "That's so sweet." He batted his eyelashes at me.

Sarcastic.

"What do you know about romance?" I asked. "You flex your muscles and Hazel falls in your arms."

Billy shrugged, "I know, it's awesome."

I shook my head at him and looked back at Michael, who was inspecting the chain and small pearl like he was working in the jewelry store again. "This is very pretty. Good quality; should last a long time and it's easy to fix." He nodded, handing it back to me. "I think she'll love it."

"Thanks. I'm gonna give it to her before Ashley's wedding, so she can wear it with her dress... Figured it'd make it better. She told me how hideous it is." I chuckled, remembering her frantic rant when I picked her up from Ashley's.

"Speaking of weddings..." Billy looked slyly at Michael, and Michael to him, before they both looked at me. "When are you going to propose to Miss Sage?"

My jaw dropped, and I almost dropped her necklace. "What?!"

"Oh come on!" Michael snapped, taking the necklace from me and putting it back in the velvet box before I broke it. "You two have known each other for years; and you've loved her all these years ---- Don't you dare deny it." He narrowed his eyes at me when I opened my mouth to protest.

"How would you know? I've never said anything about loving her." I frowned.

Billy laughed, "Please! The way you look at her is enough. The way you've always looked at her, even when we were kids. She's like a goddess to you, or something."

I took the small box and shoved it deep in my pocket, hoping that'd end the conversation, but it didn't.

"So? When you gonna do it!" Billy pressed.

"Haven't thought about that." I mumbled.

"You should. She's leaving in a couple weeks." Michael said.

Remembering that only made me feel worse right now. I had been trying not to think about when Annabelle would be leaving. When would be the next time I see her? Trips out to the city would cost some serious money after a while, and Annabelle will be going to college soon. I know she'll go to college, I won't let her not go; she's too smart for that.

The guys eventually dropped it and left to go home, saying it was getting late. I closed up shop and was on my way home, passing by Annabelle's house. If it weren't so late, I'd run over and toss pebbles at her window till she came outside. I missed her; I hadn't been able to see her for a few days. I've been working, trying to catch up on money.

Instead, I settled for glancing at her window while I drove past in my truck. I would see her this weekend, at the wedding.

Wow... That thought brought up some interesting scenes... The wedding... It could be our wedding...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

499K 21.4K 59
"Everyone has a chapter they don't want to read out loud. Mine just so happens to be a book." Allison Bridge. Hearing her name makes most people crin...
11.7M 518K 74
Mia Collins just wanted to get through her senior year of high school with as minimal awkward situations as possible. However, that's kind of hard to...
3.2M 140K 38
Nick doesn't believe that a marriage needs love to survive, and he's out to prove it by marrying a stranger. But after proposing to headstrong waitre...
5.9K 297 25
"A lifetime is enough to love one person but the same lifetime is not enough to forget the same person." *** Jessica Morgans, a simple girl with simp...