An Invulnerable Heart | Man o...

By dolewhips

[ COMPLETED // UNEDITED ] Clark Kent was a boy not from this world. However, he was specifically sent here fo... More

A Word From The Author.
I. Two Different Worlds.
II. Smallville, Kansas.
III. 3 Years Later.
V. A Cold, Lonely Stranger.
VI. Pain-Striking Memories.
VII. Hallucinations.
VIII. A Symbol Of Hope.
IX. Not From This World.
X. The Art Of Forgiveness.
XI. You Are Not Alone.
XII. Paradise.
XIII. A Leap Of Faith.
XIV. It's Not An 'S'.
XV. Life Lessons.
XVI. Rescue.
XVII. A Checkered Past.
XVIII. Evolution Always Wins.
XIX. The Overflowing Feeling Of Guilt.
XX. A New Beginning.

IV. A New Life.

12.5K 351 97
By dolewhips

21 Years Later.

The cold, bitter wind blew through the air. The clouds filled with gloomy, hazy feeling bringing a wet atmosphere. The waves were rough, and swiftly sending the boat back and forth in the water. While waiting for the cage to be carried from the water, Clark sat quietly, analyzing the area around him. He went under another name, not wanting to arouse any trouble for his mom. Living out in the artic has its perks, for guy who doesn't have much – it gets pretty cold during the night. Silently, he walked toward the middle of the deck, to pick up a white mop-like figure. Just as he crouched to pick it up, a man pushed him out of the way.

"Watch it! Keep your eyes open or else you're going to get squashed!" The man cried.

Clark kept quiet, thankful for the save. He nodded slowly, letting the man know he was listening.

As the man helped him up, he gave him a stern look, "Where did they find you, Greenhorn?"

Sure, Clark's appearance wasn't too appealing. He haven't shaved in a while, and allowed a brown scruffy beard cover the bottom portion of his face – not mention his silent blue eyes that caught every move around the boat.

"Gentlemen, secure the deck. We just got a distress call from a rig due west of us. Secure the deck."

All of men walked into the office, waiting for further orders. Clark wanted to analyze the situation as he tried to look at the radar for the ship. Across from them was burning ship; dark fumes flowing from every corner of the ship. Thinking quick, Clark sped to the ship, without letting the rest of men know.

"Greenhorn, hand me my binoculars."

Silence.

"Greenhorn." He called as he looked back to see Greenhorn missing. Little did he know, Greenhorn was over by the ship, taking matters into his own hands.

Clark held onto the parts of the burning ship. He tossed the burning parts, in hopes to save the ship and the people on board. Busting through the door, infused with flames around his chest, Clark shocked the men around him.

"Follow me."

The men followed him, up the ladder and onto the platform of the ship. There was nothing they can do to save the burning ship. All Clark cared about was bringing the men to safety. A helicopter flew down, ready to pick up the men. Clark rushed the men, helping them one by one onto the helicopter.

A crank-like noise rang above them, while the helicopter was getting ready to launch. A part of the burning ship was about to fall onto the helicopter. In order to insure the safety of the men, he launched himself toward the part and with all his strength, lifted the ship part.

"Hey! Let's go! What are you doing?" A man on the helicopter yelled.

Clark ignored their cries as he pushed all his strength to carry the part off the flying helicopter. He pushed himself to his own personal limit, before collapsing into the ship. The helicopter was able to flee from the ship, but they were unable to save their rescuer. And at that moment, Clark felt the cold water cover him, sending him deep into the depths of the ocean, unconscious.

**

It was another, cold gloomy day in Kansas, as the two drove to a repair shop. Jonathan kept quiet, allowing Clark to consume himself into his book.

"Clark? Anything new at school today?" His dad asked.

"No. Not, really." Clark shrugged, positioning himself away from his father's view.

"Anything you'd like to talk about?" Jonathan asked, again.

Silence.

The two sat in the silence for the rest of the drive to the shop. After they arrived, his dad allowed Clark to read outside near the fence, as he talked to the man of the shop. Clark opened up his book and silently read the words to himself. The book was rather interesting; his dad bought the book for him, wanting him to learn more about the universe.

"Hey. Check it out." A voice called from above Clark.

A group of young boys, dressed in red and yellow varsity jackets stood in front of him. They started to chuckle and snicker at Clark, whispering words to the girls beside them. Clark tried to ignore the group in front of them, not wanting to cause any trouble.

'Stay clam, Clark. They'll go away if you ignore them.'

"C'mon, Clark. Let's fight, huh. Huh." One of the boys threatened.

Clark looked up from his book, only to see a fist heading his way. Although the fist stopped midway, the boys started to snicker at Clark's panicked expression. Clark looked up at the boy, a cold, stern stare. How badly, Clark wanted to get up and punch them. He was capable of doing it, so why didn't he?

The boy repeated the action, sending waves of laughter over the group. It was soon stopped, as the group of boys turned to see his dad and the shop owner watching. The large group fled the scene, except for the same ginger boy from the bus accident. He extended a hand to Clark, to help him up before leaving. His father walked toward Clark to check if the boys hurt him.

"I wanted to, Dad. I wanted to, so bad." Clark gritted his teeth, revealing the large dent in the fence.

"I know, Clark. I know. You're not just anyone. One day, you're going to have to make a choice. You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, it's going to change the world."

**

Today was a very, special day for Elaine. After many rejections from different jobs from a wedding photographer to a waitress at a local Kansas bar, Elaine tried her luck for a photographer spot at Metropolis 'The Daily Planet'. Although, Elaine's mother was not notified about her application, Elaine had full confidence on her acceptance to the Daily Planet. Elaine never actually read 'The Daily Planet', or seen an actual newspaper copy. It seemed like a better choice for Elaine. Ever since her mother held back to home schooling, she developed a love for photography.

Her mother liked the new hobby Elaine had developed, and hoped it would replace their ongoing arguments. Their relationship has been tough, strained, sort of like a love-hate relationship kind of thing. Her mother's been protective over Elaine, almost to a point where it annoyed Elaine. Her younger sister, Olivia wasn't receiving the same treatment from her mother, allowing her to attend public school. Deep inside her room, Elaine had her things packed, ready to head to Metropolis to welcome her new life.

No longer a prisoner in her own home. Outside, the mailman came by and inserted their daily mail. Elaine ran through the house, her bare feet crushing the icy ground. Despite her tank top and jeans attire, Elaine ignored the piercing cold as she dug through the mail.

Bills. Bills. Olivia's report card. Bills. Daily Planet!

Elaine took the small, olive colored envelope in her hands, almost shaking as she tore it open.

Dear Miss Fisher,

We congratulate you on your acceptance to the Daily Planet. Your application for The Daily Planet's photographer has been accepted! Your photography skills are certainly what Metropolis needs for its newspaper. We would like if you can start on this prestigious job as soon as possible. Clean and crisp attire, we would for you to attend a training meeting in Metropolis to introduce you to the program. We're excited for your photography skills and your efforts for The Daily Planet!

Clean? Crisp attire? As in suits, trench coats? Hopefully those will do. Elaine dug through her packed clothing, throwing away short floral skirts, sleeveless dresses. If they want clean, crisp attire – white button shirts, a million pencil skirts, solid color dresses. Elaine placed a frustrated palm against her forehead. Her mother would never let her out to buy such professional clothing without questioning the reason.

"Elaine, what are you doing up there?" Her mother called.

Panicked, and worriedly, Elaine threw all her clothes under her bed before stuffing her acceptance letter into her jean pocket.

"Elaine, the room's a mess. Look at all the clothes on the ground." Her mother retorted.

"I know, I'll clean it up." Elaine replied somberly as she crouched down to pick up her clothes.

Instantly, her mother grabbed the peeking paper out of her jean pocket, "What is this?"

"Shoot. Mom!" Elaine lurched to grab her letter.

"You applied to the Daily Planet? Without my permission?" Her mother said slowly.

"Yes. Mom, none of the jobs you suggested, I didn't get accepted. I've always wanted to work for the newspaper, I mean I could become a reporter – once, I learn how to write properly." Elaine explained.

"Elaine. Elaine. I can't let you do this. Why can't you go back, and apply for a school photographer! Make proper use of your talent!"

"Mom? School photographer? I'm not going to spend the rest of my life, taking photographs of... of... kids? Mom, that's crazy! You know what, I'm going. I'm going to Metropolis. I'm going to rent myself an apartment." Elaine blurted.

She grabbed the suitcase from under the bed, and gathered all her clothing. Elaine didn't care, she'll exchange her wardrobe once she reached Metropolis, but for now she needed to get away. Her mother stared in shock as she watched her oldest daughter, walk out of the house. Elaine expected her mother to hold her back, to stop her, or to make some nasty remark about her father.

"So this is it. After 21 years, you leave me. Just like your father." Her mother sneered.

With that, Elaine walked out the door, and into the cold Kansas air. She walked, hauling the suitcase behind her, hoping to find an abandoned car or a nearby bus station.

Bus station!

Elaine quickly turned her direction and ran toward the only bus stop near her house. She didn't think about turning back, Elaine was finally free and she was ready to start her new life.

**

Cold, harsh winds flew through Clark's bare chest. From his bare chest to the tattered pants, Clark knew his appearance wasn't very pleasing. He found a truck filled with clothes, accessible for his reach. A dark blue shirt, along with a jacket, a pair of pants was all Clark grabbed, as well as another pair of shoes. Clark searched for another place to settle, another job to earn. Nearby, a bar was looking for employees, and Clark decided to take this opportunity.

"I saw a sign, stating you needed help?" Clark asked politely.

"Yeah, we're in need of employees. I think we have room for you, Rookie. Get an apron and start work." A man called.

"Yes. Sir." Clark nodded as he grabbed an apron to start his work.

Silently, Clark kept his cool and went under a new name at the bar. He did what he was told, taking the orders, bringing the orders right away to the customers. Day by day, Clark attended his job at the bar, with his father's words continuously echoing in his head.

You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, it's going to change the world.

A/N: I'm not sure how I feel about this chapter. Took me a day to write this, I had to reference back for the Boat scene. A little bit of an insight on what they are doing now, 21 years later. We're going to fast forward a couple weeks ahead, so be prepared for that! Again, I'm sorry for the grammar mistakes, I was uninspired, just a bit disgusted at my never changing, constant writing -- so I hope you guys enjoy this! I'll be gone Tuesday through Thursday for a camp I'll be attending, so I'll try to upload something tomorrow or Monday. I'll be back Friday, ready to upload more. Anywhoo, I'm sorry if I got anything wrong with Clark's experiences. Okay, well thanks for reading! Enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.1K 3K 52
"I love you, Dad... But having Superman as your father and living in his shadow is... hard... I can't ever live up to that..." The daughter of Super...
290K 7.1K 16
| Book One | When Elizabeth Wayne, Bruce's only daughter came into his life everything changed. He didn't know about her at first but once he did he...
45K 1.4K 18
Marinette didn't resent her family. she knew that she would never be a priority. She was the only Kent sibling with no power. Well... As far as they...
131K 6.3K 42
Kara Zorel Ward's life was turned up side down by circumstances out of her control. She had to hide who she was to save her life and her parents. Now...