The Epidemic - Book one

By thestoryteller123

We stopped running and took cover behind a run down building. I turned to Cal and he was laughing. I knew one... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Four

96 6 0
By thestoryteller123

I woke up to the sound of whispering. I opened my eyes and looked around to find mom and dad sitting on a couch talking. I looked at the other couches and Cal and Tommy were still asleep. I pulled off the towels I used as a blanket.

" Mom, Dad ? " I said getting up and stretching my limbs. I looked outside it looked like a normal day. Then I remembered why I'm here and how I got here and what would happen if we left.

" Yeah, honey " They said in unison.

" What are we going to do ? " I asked walking over to them. I saw Gabe sleeping on a bed of towels.

" We don't know, but we need to get out of here and try and find another way to cross that border and get out of this state. I don't know what this is but it's dangerous " Dad said seriously his voice was shaky if I wasn't mistaken I would say he sounded scared.

" But dad we can't leave ! Those things are outside we'll die !! " I said yelling I don't know why but I just feel that's it's safe and if we leave we will be chased and eaten and stuff. I may be paranoid but who wouldn't be with people running around like zombies out of a movie.

" Listen to me honey we won't let anything happen to you or Gabe. " Dad said pulling me into a hug. Gosh I feel like a little kid again afraid of the dark. But I know deep down that we will get though it just like he said.

" Can Cal come with us ? Please his parents are so cruel they left him here and went to the safety of their cabin in Paris " I said searching my dads eyes. It was really his decision, mom already wanted Cal to come.

" Of corse he can as long as he respects me and your mother he's more than welcome " He said smiling.

" Re - Really ? "I stumbled. I was shocked I was preparing an argument and everything. I mean yesterday he was all " team hate Cal " but now he is all happy go lucky ?.

" Yes, I've come to realize yesterday that its the right thing to do and I also know that you like him and he is a very good friend to you " He said I just stood there I mean he waits until a freaking epidemic to take over to allow me some boy friends.

" Ok, so when do we leave and how's Gabe ? " I asked looking at my baby brother hopefully this will all be over before he even begins to remember things.

" We can leave now go and wake Cal and Tommy up " he said lifting Gabe up who squirmed in his sleep. I wish I was him and could sleep though all if this, because right now I am dreading going out there and being chased again maybe the police and stuff have it under control all ready ?

" It's going to be alright dear " mom said as I walked away. How can she say that ? Those things were eating people that were still alive. They ate that little girl, she didn't do anything wrong she probably didn't deserve that no one did.

" Tommy wake up " I said he stirred in his sleep. " Tommy get up ! " I said and pulled the towels off him. That got his attention.

" I'm up I'm up !" He said sitting up, next is Cal.

" Cal get up !" I nudged him.

" What's going on ? " He said as he shot up from the couch.

" We have to leave now " I said seriously and he immediately got serious and in survive mode or whatever.

" Okay " He said shaking his head which resembled my curly mess and rubbing his eyes.

" Where are we going ? " He asked my parents.

" We are going to try and get across that border or find another way " Dad said carefully shifting Gabe so that his head rested on his shoulder.

" Okay, I just want to thank you guys for letting me come with you guys I know that your trying to protect your family and stuff and that you really didn't have to take me " he said looking at my dad I don't know what it was but something passed between them. It's like they had an understanding or something.

" Your more than welcome and when I see your parents I'll have a little talk with them " Dad said frowning.

" Honey your more than welcome " Mom said giving him a hug which he returned.

" Tommy, where is your aunt and uncles house ? " Dad said now looking at Tommy who just stood there watching us. He was up now and wiping his glasses off with his shirt.

" Ummm in Baltimore somewhere near paintersmill. They live in an apartment complex. " He said putting his glasses back on.

" Perfect, here's plan A we go back through Baltimore and pick up your aunt and uncle. Then I know a little back road that shouldn't be shut down but there is a possibility that it is shut off its very old it will get us through the border. Plan B is to keep safe and stay here and try and wait it out " Dad said handing Gabe over to mom.

" Wait it out ? I don't know if you guys have seen it but those things ate the police I don't think they're coming to save us and even if they were we aren't on the top of the list !!! " Tommy said almost yelling.

" Will you keep your voice down please and we do know that, but I am Gaberail Carters. " Dad said like it reassured us that he is one of thee world famous business men.

" What's that suppose to mean ? "

" You don't know who I am ? I am one of thee most famous business men in the world. " Dad said letting his ego take charge.

" Oh, well are people coming ? " He said slowly.

" No "

" Well okay then " Tommy said.

" Well I think we should try option one " Mom said breaking some of the tension.

" Me too " Cal said.

" Yeah me too if we stay here we don't know how long this place will be safe or if it is safe, those things could be lurking around waiting for us or something. " I said also.

" Okay I say we leave out the back door and stick to the side streets. We need to find something to eat though, I haven't eaten anything since lunch time yesterday " Mom said.

" Yeah we shou-" Dad was interrupted by a sharp scream followed by a deep growl. We turned to look out the windows . Three of those things chased down a boy, he looked about twelve from here. He had blonde hair that was now covered in blood. Those things trampled him then began eating him starting with the head and brain.

" We need to leave now " Dad said in a whisper.

" The back door !" Cal whispered. We all ran to the back door

" Unlock it ! " Dad whispered, he unlocked and we all stepped out. The bright sun light hit my face. I was the last to get out, the group started to run. I stood there still shocked, I couldn't move. I just couldn't believe that thing ate that little boy. I starred at the sun.

I was pulled from my trance. Someone was pulling my arm. I looked up and it was Cal of corse. He was yelling at me. I tried to say something anything but all that came out was a string of mumbles. Then everything went black...

Cal's POV:

We all were running hoping those things around the front weren't after us. I turned around and didn't see Viv. She was the last one to go out, without letting the rest of the group know I turned around and went back ... for Viv I can't let her die not my freckles. We weren't very far from the group and the shop we should be able to catch up. I ran back and saw her standing looking up at the sun. What the hell is she doing ?

" Viv!! Move !!! " I yelled to her as I ran towards the back door. I pulled her arm. She just mumbled a jumble of words. Then she fell down, luckily I caught her she fainted just great. I picked her up bridal style and started on a fast jog. I have to catch up with the group. It's a good thing I am one of the fastest runners in the region. I actually attended the championship for track. We had to run five kilometers and pass a baton to the others. Our school came in first, I saw the group up ahead about twenty meters.

" Guys !" I called out they turned around confused and then saw that I was holding something they came.

" Oh, my god my baby ! " Mrs.Carters yelled.

" Is she okay what happened? " Mr.Caters said in a worried tone, he held Gabe closer.

" I was running with you guys and I looked back and realized she wasn't following us. I then ran back to the salon and found her standing where we left her just starring at the sun. I yelled her name but she seemed to be in shock or something then she fainted " I said shifting my weight, gosh Viv isn't heavy but she's not moving so she's just dead weight added on to my one hundred forty pounds which is mostly muscle.

" We need to move now !" Tommy yelled, I looked up at him he was looking at four figures in the distance.

" Alright, Cal can you carry her or do you need someone else too ? " Mr.Carters said to me, I looked down at the girl I was holding, the girl I've liked since I first saw her, the girl who I just kissed and actually liked it, the girl with the messy curly hair and big brown eyes and I can't forget those freckles and I knew I would probably carry her until my legs rotted under me. What's going on with me ?

" Yeah sure, it's no problem Mr. C " I said shifting her into a more comfortable position.

" Okay, we need to take refuge in a near by house or something until she wakes up " Mrs.C said running her hands through her hair.

" Alright, there are some houses over there " I said nodding to my right where there was a neighborhood of rancher style houses.

" Run quietly I don't think those things have notice us yet " Tommy added, we ran quietly and we ran towards the first house we saw which had yellow siding and a green roof with a red door. We ran up to the door it was locked so Tommy broke a window and we climbed in.

" I'm not paying for that " Tommy said once we were all in the house. I placed Viv gently on the couch, she looked adorable sleeping. I made sure no one was looking and kissed her softly on her lips. She opened her eyes slowly and looked at me I smiled down at her.

" Cal ? " She said confused.

" Yup it's me freckles "

" Oh she's awake !" Mrs. C exclaimed loudly walking over to the couch.

" Mom ? "

Viv's POV:

" Mom ? " I asked why are they just starring at me ? Where are we ?

" Yeah honey it's me you had a little accident. We all ran and thought you were following but you weren't and Calvin here went back to get you but you fainted. And he carried you back to us and here. " Mom said rubbing my hair.

" Oh, where are we ? " I asked.

" I don't know we stopped at some house so you could rest and wake up " She said I sat up now but pain shot through the back of my head. I winced.

" Whoa there freckles, you just woke up from an unconscious state you could receive strong head pains and some throwing up " Cal said I looked at him did he really carry me, hope I wasn't heavy. Now that they said it I do remember standing there and starring at the sun. Then Cal came and got me then I can't remember anymore.

" Where's dad and Gabe ? " I asked shaking off the pain rolling through my head.

" Your father went to go change Gabes diaper and Tommy went to check out the rest of the house. "

" I'm going to go and find something that we all can eat. " mom said getting up but not before kissing my forehead.

" Ok " Me and Cal said in union.

" So, how do you feel ? " He asked sitting down next to me.

" I think this is what a hangover feels like " I said holding my head.

" Yeah well nothing feels worse than my arms and legs, how much do weigh girl ?! " he joked.

" Enough ! You sure know how to make a girl feel good about her self ! " I said playfully hitting him. He gave me a shocked face and pretended he was hurt.

" It's going to be ok freckles " he said kissing me on the cheek.

" Hey!!! Guys!!! You need to see this ! " Tommy yelled from the basement I think.

" Come on ! " I said to Cal we ran down the stairs. It was like another house. It was a finish basement. We followed Tommy back towards a little bedroom. He opened the door and there on the bed was a two girls.

" Should we wake them up ? " Tommy whispered.

" Yeah, we should its the right thing " I said and with that I banged on the door. They woke up the littlest one looked about three or four, she had light brown hair and the oldest one looked to be about thirteen with matching light brown hair and blue eye as the other.

" Who are you where are our parents ? " She asked tommy.

" I don't know but we came here to seek refuge. Do you know what's going on up there ? " he asked pointing to the ceiling.

" Yes, there are monsters up there " The little one said.

" Yeah we know what's going on our parents were suppose to be back one day ago " The oldest said getting off the bed.

" What are your names ?" I asked.

" I'm Maddie and this is Ellie " Maddie said picking up Ellie.

" Do you guys want something to eat ? We are cooking your food if you don't mind." Cal said looking at Maddie she just nodded.

" Come on, do you know where your parents went ? " I asked as we walked up the tight staircase.

" They went to go pick up our uncle at the airport. They told us to stay here in the basement and don't let anyone in. " Maddie said, she opened her mouth to say more but I guess decided against it.

" Oh dear god look ! " Mom said as we came from the basement and shut the door.

" Are you guys hungry we have some bake beans and chicken nuggets. " She said holding her hand out to Ellie who took it and went into the kitchen. Dad came out the kitchen with Gabe in his arms.

" Whose the kids ? " He asked handing Gabe to me.

" We found them in the basement there parents went to go pick there uncle up from the airport earlier yesterday. " I said cuddling Gabe who was trying to say my name. He's actually said it and others a couple of times.

" So, do we take them with us ? " Cal said sitting down.

" I don't know do they want to come ? " Dad asked plopping down next to Cal.

" We should talk to the oldest one she seems to know whats going on. " Tommy said.

" We all need lunch " I said walking to the kitchen and the guys followed. Mom was helping the little one eat.The oldest one sat quietly.

" Dear, why don't you take Gabe and Ellie into the living room ?" Dad said to mom. She just nodded took Gabe in one arm and took Ellie's hand in the other. Once they were gone we turned to Maddie.

" Maddie do you know when your parents will be back ? " Dad asked avoiding the chance they might be dead if they were caught in the evacuation traffic they could be worse than dead.

" No, but they told us if they weren't back in a couple of hours to leave but I couldn't I just thought they would come back. I went outside to go to my neighbors for milk but they turned into those things and tried to get me but I ran and shut the door and we hid in the basement " She said sadly.

" Would you like to come with us, we are trying to cross the border into a safe state. You guys come with us and when we get safe we can find your parents. " Dad said looking at her.

" I can't come with you guys " she said slowly.

" Why ?" Cal asked.

" Because I've been bitten I've prayed to god that Ellie would be safe and he answered with you guys . Can you please take her she's so young she probably won't remember in a couple of years " she said crying, wow this girl is very mature for her age.

" We will I think it's best to say goodbye now before you ...umm... Change ? " Cal said unsure.

" Your right " She said and got up and walked into the living room .

" We should leave right after she says goodbye , I don't know why she's not changed already maybe because of the size of the bite but by the looks of it she should be turning in a couple of hours." Tommy said as we all got up and walked in the living room.

" Alright Ellie you have to go now I love you and so do mom and dad " She said tears streaming down her eyes.

" Why ? Am I going to see you and mommy and daddy again ?" She said confused.

" Yes we will all see each other again someday " She said brushing Ellie's hair behind her ears.

" Ok " She replied.

" I'll go get a few of her things " Maddie said excusing her self.

I stood there next to Cal, and I realized how lucky I am to have Cal and my parents. Maddie came back down with a little backpack that had Elennora printed on the front in yellow letters.

" I've put some diapers in for Gabe, we still have a few lying around just in case. They might be a little big and there's a change of clothes in there along with her coloring books and toys. " She said helping Ellie put it on her back. It actually match what she was wearing which was little jean shorts and a yellow Dora T-shirt, with little white sneakers.

" Bye Ellie " She said one more time and picked her up and gave her a hug.

" Don't worry we will see each other soon sissy " She said.

" Hopefully not " Maddie whispered softly. Seeing this almost made me cry.

" Before we leave we need to figure out a orderly way to run or walk or whatever " Cal said.

" Yeah I think we should kind of walk in a circle with Mrs.C carrying Gabe and Ellie in the middle then Mr.C in the front leading and Viv, Cal on the sides and me in the back " Tommy said.

" We should just take a car, I mean the streets are mostly clear because many people evacuated. So a car should be a better choice and it will get us through faster . " I said . I mean this is the only smart way there are almost no cars on the road so we should be able to steal one that was left and go on .

" Yeah we should do that it would be a lot faster and a lot less dangerous " Mom said .

" My neighbor's mini van to the left is still here and they just had a baby girl so there will be a car seat for Gabe. They never got to evacuate they were one of the first ones infected " Maddie said.

" Ok , Lets go steal us a car " Tommy said opening the door slowly and looking out.

" Bye Maddie " Ellie said turning to her older sister as she took my moms hand.

" Bye Ellie " She said in a hoarse voice and shut the door quickly behind us. We walked over to the house to the left and sure enough there was an old looking red mini van sitting there in the car lot.

" It's unlocked, they must have been ready to leave or something and the keys are here." Tommy said.

" I think I should drive " Dad said taking the keys from Tommy who frowned and shrugged it off. We all got in and sure enough there was a bright pink carseat just big enough for Gabe. The mini Van had two rows of seats so Cal sat in the left window seat then me in the middle then Gabes carseat with him in it in one row. And Tommy and Ellie in the row of seats behind us, and mom and dad up front.

" Everybody strapped in ?" Dad said.

" Yes " We all replied. Dad started the van it took more than a couple of curse words to get it started. We drove in silence all around us we saw houses empty we also saw some people in groups similar to ours. They were walking and running but they all stopped to look at us. We never saw any other vehicles on the road. They eventually spanned out and that's when we saw the first infected thing come from a house and chase after the van.

" Hey look ! " Tommy yelled from the back, that boy is always yelling. We all turned except for dad who is driving.

" Why is it running after us ? " Cal said.

" I don't know but it's not stopping it's actually running faster !" Tommy said.

" I'm scared " Ellie said whining.

" There's no need to be scared everything will be alright little rock " Cal said still turned around. We all knew that was about ten percent true. I checked on Gabe, he always finds a way to fall asleep when things get bad.

" There's another one ! " I shouted. Now there were two running after us, a man with blood red eyes and green veins coursing through his body and a black liquid was coming from his mouth as he growled and ran faster. The woman was the same but fatter.

" Dad can you speed up !" I said looking back at the front. My father was talking with my mother arguing and that's when it happened the car flipped. You know when they say your life flashes before your eyes, yeah that didn't happen instead everyone screamed for their lives. I held Gabes car seat and Cal held my other hand I think. I blacked out and woke up to those things banging on Cal's window and Gabes window. I regained my earring which is still ringing and heard Gabe screaming to the top of his lungs. I turned he was still strapped up. I turned my head a little more and saw Cal who was waking up. There was no other movement. Those things were breaking the windows and I was stuck, the car was flipped and Gabe was crying and I couldn't do anything about. We are going to die. I think Cal was thinking that too because he just looked straight ahead. His hand still held mine. I squeezed his hand back and closed my eyes and waited.

" Over here ! " A voice said, I heard three gun shots which rang my ears.

The last I remember was being jerked from the car then passing out.

..................................................................................................................

PLEASE VOTE AND LEAVE COMMENTS .

THANKS :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.4K 6.6K 73
This book follows four teenagers from four different parts of the U.S. when their lives are dramatically changed one day. When zombies become real a...
13.9K 998 57
Eli was barely staying afloat before the apocalypse. Working long shifts, taking care of his younger brother, and just trying to figure out what to...
209K 4.9K 34
*written in 2012 at 14* *Follow my new account for the new version of You Can't Cuddle With A Zombie titled: Back to Life @InTheClouds1020* "My boyf...