The Shadow Of The Secrets

By AuroraEmerald

As her life is thrown into turmoil over her amazing and unexplainable actions, Sofia has nothing left to do b... More

Chapter 1 : Fire
Chapter 2 : Run
Chapter 4 : Awake
Chapter 5 : Panic

Chapter 3: Sanctuary

457 17 19
By AuroraEmerald

This chapter is dedicated to SimplePurity for her amazing story 'Unruly Games', its truly awesome! Check it out!! :)

Feedback would be much appreciated. I had the worst case of writers block for so long!

Please vote, fan or comment (if you want!) 

:)

________________

The icy chill of the heavy rain clung to every part of me, wrapping me in a horridly claustrophobic envelope aided by the darkness.  A wave of shivers involuntarily ripped through me. The phrase soaked to the bone wasn’t even close, every negative emotion seemed to be flowing through me. The tiniest thread of hope was preventing my complete breakdown, mental and physical. A tiny hope that I could find safety. 

I stared up at the dark, lifeless building. My stomach fluttered nervously, in a matter of minutes my fate would be decided. I pulled my thin coat tighter as a vigorous wind cascaded wildly around me. 

Whispers began deep within me. As each one crossed my mind, another would succeed it. An everlasting trail of thought.

The electric purple door barely stood out in the poorly lit front yard. A small flickering bulb partially lit the top of the steps. I stood at the bottom, willing myself to move.

 Oh for goodness sake. Will you get up those steps and knock on that ugly door! You are going to get pneumonia if you carry on standing here like some crazy bag lady.  Came an unexpectedly angry comment from that little voice.

 Tears gushed down my face as I took a slow calculated step forward. My earlier sense of confidence in this being a safe place seemed to be vanishing quick.  I got a quick waft of freshly cooked curry, my stomach reacted instantly, with a furious hunger.

 Another step, another tear.

 The final step had me left inches from the door, I raised my hand slowly, and took a deep breath, taking in the curry scent and rain, a strange combination.

 Light stunned my eyes as the door burst open. My eyes stung with the sudden brightness, pain shot through them like lightning. I cowered back behind my hands, like some crazed vampire from the morning sun.

 ‘Sofia?’ came the soft quizzical voice. I could hear the confusion or surprise in his voice, I couldn’t really tell which.

 Squinting, I looked up slowly. In the doorway, his silhouette stood tall and wide, just as always.

 ‘Rafe,’ I sighed quietly. I felt a part of my soul instantly relax, the fact that he wasn’t screaming or running was an amazing first sign.

 ‘What…erm, do you realise the time? Is everything….’, he twittered quickly, not really knowing what to say. He took a step forward, and my body moved backwards so quickly before I even knew I’d done it. 

 ‘Can I come in?’ my voice was so small and weary I barely recognised it.

 ‘Of course’, he breathed gently. 

 As I moved forward I saw his slender bronzed face for the first time, his big brown eyes were filled with confusion and worry. His short dark curly hair was more dishevelled than normal, and his clothes were all creased. If I didn’t know any better I’d say that I’d just woken him up.

 He stepped back, pushing himself against the rain sodden door. I glanced at him as I heard him swear under his breath, it was very unlike him. I slowly eased past, the wall of glorious heat that met me swirled around like a thick comforting blanket as I entered the hallway.

 As I took in my surroundings, I took a deep breath of the familiar scent that washed gently around me. The recognizable aroma was a strange mix of lavender furniture polish and home cooked food. Rafe was strangely tidy for a man, and as for the amazing food smell, he claimed that as a self proclaimed computer geek, he couldn’t cook.

 The expensiveness of the living room was so easy to spot, the pristine brown leather sofas, the beautiful plush decorative white rug, the oversize brightly coloured art prints scattered across each wall. The look of the living room could have come straight from a catalogue spread. 

 ‘So…?’ asked Rafe quietly, but the sudden noise shocked me.

I’d been stood gawping at his living room, with no explanation of why I’d suddenly turned up. His deep frown supported my idea that he didn’t really understand what I was doing at his house. I glanced at the small antique clock…..HALF PAST MIDNIGHT?!

 ‘Is that the right time?’ I barked suddenly, my heart vibrated so harshly that I could here my pulse.

 ‘Erm….yes,’ he said utterly confused. Cocking his head slightly to the right, taking in my appearance in from head to toe.

 ‘What’s going on Sofia? Are you alright?’ The concern in his voice seemed to strengthen my trust in him, I felt my body relax marginally.

 He doesn’t know. Warned the voice cautiously.

 ‘Well..no I’m not really alright. I need your help. I came to you because I didn’t know where else I could go,’ the panic brushed slowly across me, it was as though my stomach was physically tying itself in knots. Vivid images flashed through my mind, the deadly inferno of the building, with it bright angry lashing flames. The pure hatred behind Cally’s eyes that made my stomach churn. Fear spread so clearly across the young McDonald’s workers face. 

 ‘What’s happened? Are you hurt?’ 

Leave. The voice instructed. 

I took a deep breath and ignored the silly voice. Rafe took a step towards me, as my body instinctively moved away. I was now stood in the doorway, I hadn’t realised I’d moved that far back. The expression on Rafe’s face released the butterflies in my stomach, he was so concerned. I wasn’t leaving, I needed him to know. I needed his help. 

But will he help you after you tell him?  

‘I think you should sit down,’ 

 ‘O….kay,’ he replied slowly, moving calmly to rest on the shiny chocolate coloured chair. He watched me like a hawk, his gaze never broke with mine. It was as if he expected me to bolt. His face gave so much away, he was worried that I’d done something horrific, and he was desperately trying to figure out what. He didn’t have a clue.

Wow. This could be the biggest shock of his life.

 HIS LIFE? Are you hearing yourself? You just shot a protective sparkly shield like substance from your hands in front of a crowd of people, the whole world media is looking for you and your worried about the computer geek!?! Furiously raged the inner voice.

 ‘Have you seen the news tonight?’ I asked calmly. Leaning casually on the doorframe as tiredness began to weigh heavily on me.

 ‘Not tonight….why?’ the uncertainty was clear in his voice, but it wasn’t what he’d expected me to say.

 ‘Well you really should,’ I boomed, almost demandingly. I marched over to the delicate glass coffee table and picked up the TV remote, I flicked through until I found the news channel.

 I looked at Rafe, who stared at the TV, I dropped the remote on the sofa and moved back towards the doorway. He suddenly jumped up and sat on the sofa just next to where I’d left the control. He obviously wanted the best possible view of the massive 50 inch TV.

He looked at me, pulled his hands nervously through his ruffled curly hair. He really didn’t like not knowing what to expect, his gaze flicked from the TV to me, waiting for something.

 He slowly turned back to the TV as the ginger haired female newsreader announced the lead story. I watched his back carefully, watching for a change in his posture. 

 You should leave. NOW! Whilst he’s not looking. 

 I wasn’t going anywhere, I needed someone to help me. A point of view, advice, anything.

 ‘Today’s amazing story, which happened only several hours ago, has been confirmed by several eyewitnesses, despite government officials refusing to comment. This footage is the only known evidence of what happened. Please can I ask that people do NOT phone in to the station,’ her excited voice twittered quickly, clearly eager to see the footage.

 Butterflies erupted within me once more, but this time it was as if those butterflies were trying to escape. I honestly don’t know how Rafe will react. After all he is my piano teacher, we were barely friends. I only had to think of Callys’ furious reaction to know that this night could end up with me being a science experiment.

People tend to fear that which they don’t understand. Calmly stated the voice. 

Rafes’ posture hadn’t changed, he was listening and watching intently. 

The TV flickered blurry images for a moment, then suddenly focused. 

 Fire. So much fire.

 As I saw myself, I cringed. I looked so insignificant in the angry scene.

 ‘Now this footage is taken from Scarborough, from a phone. As you can see, the building is burning fast….’ chirped the annoying newsreader.

I didn’t like the commentary on the video, all it took was one comment to label me as something horrific by the media. I turned my attention back to the TV, just in time to see Rafes’ fidgeting and my bright red coat burst onto the screen.

 Then I did something that I rarely do. I prayed.

 I asked God that Rafe would help me. I asked him to help me figure out what had happened, and why this had happened to me.

 Rafe’s gasp snapped me out of my prayer and trail of thought. I froze, it was that moment just before you decide whether it was fight or flight.

 The video showed me, arms raised, protecting Casper. The wall, that amazing protective wall.

 The newsreader has stopped talking, just letting the footage speak for itself. Part of me was thankful. Relieved.

 What would they say? How do you think they would explain it anyway? It happened to you and even you don’t have a clue!

 Rafe picked up the remote and switched the TV off, just as the footage ended and the newsreader began twittered in her high pitched voice.

 I watched him. Waiting for him to move, to say something. But he didn’t. He stayed seated, with his back to me and staring at the black TV screen.

Shit.

A thousand thoughts crashed across my mind at once, every possible scenario. What if Rafe phoned the police? I’d have to run again. My body almost cried at the thought. What if he was scared of me, thought I would hurt him? What if he was disgusted? 

 Just watch him. Be careful. Hummed the voice quietly.

 The crazy inner voice was right, no point going crazy till he reacted. He might help me.

 As the minutes passed, the anxiety churned my stomach so fiercely I was feeling sick. Even though I was warm I could feel the shivers ripping through me, my hands were shaking, unsure of whether it was nerves or hunger. I pulled my coat tighter around me, trying to physically keeping my body from falling to pieces.

 After what felt like an eternity he stood up, but he didn’t look at me. He walked towards the corner of the room, towards a desk. My chest barely contained the ricocheting of my frightened heart. 

 The deep mahogany wooden antique looking desk was fairly bland, so much that I have never noticed it before, and I’d been here for nearly 50 piano lesson. Wow. I’m unobservant.

 Shit! Was he going for his phone?

 I staggered back, preparing myself to run as Rafe pulled open a draw. He pulled out a thick black leather book.

 What the hell? 

 Then he looked at me. 

 He didn’t portray any sign of fear, in fact he looked content. His eyes suddenly twinkled with something unreadable, it felt like someone had flipped a switch, my body relaxed and tears swept over me unexpectedly, like an uncontrollable embarrassing body urge. 

 I took a small calculated step towards him, but before I knew it he grabbed me in a mammoth bear hug. His overwhelming warmth drove out all apprehensions I’d had about coming here. At that very moment, his tight reassuring hug was all that was keeping me from falling down in exhaustion.

 It was as if he sensed how tired I was, leading me to the sofa. He sat gently next to me, opening the huge black book he clutched tightly.

 ‘I can help you,’ he stated, so matter-of-fact that I was speechless. I looked at him, completely dumbfounded. ‘I think I know of someone who may be able to give you some advice, or help.’

 As I looked at Rafe, and I mean really looked at him. He was wide awake, eyes sparkling with alertness, his cheeks flushed as his grin grew wider. 

 What the? choked the little voice, sounding crazed with exhaustion.

 ‘Oh’

 He laughed and stood up so quick he made me feel a little dizzy.

 ‘After seeing the news ,and the state you were in when you got here, what else would you be here for? Don’t get me wrong, I’m surprised to see you here, but I’m more than happy to help you, we are friends after all.’

 All I could do was grin at him, my body felt strangely vacant, after the rollercoaster of emotional turmoil I just could muster the energy to feel anything too extravagant. Distant appreciation that Rafe didn’t want to throw me into the street or burn me at the stake was fine by me!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.3K 302 20
My wlw thoughts Men dni 🚫 if you don't like these types of books block don't report Pm me girls<3
293K 17.9K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
80.9K 228 4
You and your husband decide to invite his friends over for the super bowl, but things take a wildly hot turn towards the end of the night
55.6K 2.6K 18
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !