Why I Have To

By ssillagee

What would you do if the love of your life left without telling you why? Jathea story. AU. COMPLETED. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 7

5.6K 275 27
By ssillagee

December 20, 2008

It's a Saturday night and Paul & I just finished another round of NBA in the entertainment room of the Tanchingco Mansion while Jade quietly sat on the end of the couch— reading. I looked at her as the faint light from the lampshade gently grazed her pale skin. She placed her pinky finger in her mouth and gently bit the ends of her nails like she always does, as she scrunched up her nose in deep thought. She's so lost in her own little world that she didn't even notice that her black rimmed glasses slipped from the bridge of her cute button nose. Adorable.

I smiled and looked back at the TV screen when I noticed Paul staring at me with a wide mischievous grin on his face.

"Ang ganda ni Shobe, 'no?" He whispered.

"Huh? Ah... Eh..." I stuttered.

"Come on, you can tell me." He smiled encouragingly.

"Lagi naman eh." I said in an inaudible whisper.

Paul's smile widened as he took the controller from the coffee table and started another game.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." He winked and looked back at the screen to pick his team.

Paul and I became closer when I stumbled upon him playing alone in the entertainment room. I asked him if I could join and he excitedly threw a controller at my direction. He told me that he has no one to play with ever since their Kuya Gab went away, and that Jade could never be bothered to play video games.

It became our habit that he would come knocking at Jade's door every Saturday night and would ask me to play with him while Jade will continue on reading at the corner of the room.

Paul was like the brother I never had, and him finally knowing my secret made me feel somewhat... free. If only I could admit it to Jade.

A knock on the door disturbed my thoughts and Tita Amanda's head popped in the small opening of the door.

"Paparating na ang Ahya niyo. Maghanda na kayo, tatawagin ko nalang kayo pag naka-ready na ang pagkain. Althea, saluhan mo rin kami mag dinner. You can't say no." Tita Amanda smiled and went out the door.

A few minutes later, we were called downstairs for dinner.

I saw a striking young man in his early twenties with eyes that resemble Jade's. He came up to me and with a gentle smile on his face, reached out his hand and introduced himself.

"You must be Althea. Lagi ka sa akin nakukwento ni Shobe. It's nice to finally meet you, I'm Gab."

"Lagi rin po kayong nakukwento sa akin ni Jade. Nice to meet you din po." I smiled and shook his hands.

"And guys, may ipapakilala nga pala ako sa inyo," he added.

I noticed another person in the room with a familiar face when I remembered who it is.

"Guys, this is David. He's the son of the boss of the company na pinapasukan ko for internship. Nalaman ko na taga rito din pala siya and he's alone tonight so I invited him to join us for dinner." Said Gab.

David, like the gentleman that he is, greeted and shook the hands of everyone, obviously trying to charm his way off. I was surprised that he remembered my name, but what infuriated me was the lingering look and knowing smile he gave to Jade.

Jade was seated between me and David. I could hear everything they're talking about and I could clearly tell that he was trying to impress her. What make matters worse is that Jade seemed interested.

Am I jealous? Maybe. Probably... Most definitely, yes. I was so pissed that I didn't notice that I was continuously stabbing my dinner with my fork.

"Are you okay?" I heard Jade whisper.

"Yeah, wala lang akong gana." I mumbled.

"Are you feeling sick?" She worriedly asked as she held my hand to check if it's warm.

"Hindi, parang busog pa kasi ako." I tried to convince her.

Thank God Tito Oscar spoke so Jade quickly averted her eyes, "Jade anak, nagyayaya ang Ama mo na mag Simbang Gabi. Pagbigyan na natin tutal kumpleto naman ang pamilya ngayon. Althea and David, kayo gusto niyo bang sumama?"

I was about to say no because I wasn't appropriately dressed for church. I was wearing a Guns 'n Roses muscle tee with cut off shorts and my trusty old Converse. Definitely not church appropriate.

"Sure, Tito. I'd love to." Said David. That bastard.

"Ako din po sasama!" I immediately said almost too excitedly.

"Mukhang excited ka hija ah," Tito Oscar said almost laughing.

"'Di naman po masyado. Haha. Pero uuwi po muna ako para mag bihis, kung okay lang po sa inyo?"

"Nako hija, wag ka na umuwi–" Tita Amanda waved her fork and pointed it to Jade.

"Jade, pahiramin mo nalang itong si Althea ng damit para hindi na umuwi."

"Opo, Ma."

After dinner, we went upstairs to dress up for church. Jade lend me a red sleeveless dress that reached my knees.

"Red talaga?" I held the dress up and scrutinized it. Way too frilly for me.

"Swerte kaya sa Chinese ang red—" she said as she rummaged for another dress in the closet.

"I-try mo lang, bagay 'yan sayo. Pati look, I have another similar dress para terno tayo." She excitedly said as she showed me another similar red dress. The only difference is that mine is a deep red while hers is crimson red.

"Sasayaw ba tayo?" I laughed as I realized how ridiculous we would probably look.

"Ayaw mo ba? Cute sana kung pareho tayo eh." She said as she obviously tries to hide her disappointment.

"Nako dinaan pa ko sa puppy face. Sige na, sige na. Susuotin ko na. Mananalo ba ko sa mukhang 'yan?" I said while gently flicking her chin. Her eyes suddenly brightened up and she happily went to the bathroom to change.

"Ang gaganda niyo naman! Paul! Paul! Pakikuha yung cellphone ko at pipicturan ko itong dalawa. Bilis!" Tita Amanda excitedly said as we descended down the stairs.

Paul went to look for the cellphone inside Tita Amanda's bag when I noticed David ogling Jade. Ugh.

"Upo kayo dito, bilis! Ang cute cute niyo. Sana naging anak nalang rin kita, Althea. Ang ganda ganda niyo siguro bihisan, para kayong kambal ni Jade!" Tita Amanda gushed while she tried to fix Jade's hair.

"Ma naman, nakakahiya kay Althea. Stage mother naman masyado." Said an embarrassed looking Jade.

"Mag smile nalang kayo para matapos na—" Paul gave her the phone and she fumbled through the buttons.

"Okay, 1...2...3 cheese!" She said and checked the picture.

"Oh tignan niyo, ang ganda niyo dito! Parang kambal talaga." She gushed some more.

Paul came near me and whispered to my ear "Kambal-zoned" while he chuckled. I playfully swatted his arm and laughed.

"You look good, Jade." I heard David whisper to Jade. Jade responded with a cold and polite 'thank you' which made me smirk.

"Tatawa tawa ka diyan? Halika na sa kotse, naghihintay na si Dada." Said Jade as she encircled her arms around me and led me inside the car.

At the church, Jade was again seated between me and David while Paul, Gab, and the elders are seated in front of us.

I was quietly listening to the priest's homily when Jade whispered, "What do you pray for, Althea?"

"Happiness. How about you?" I sincerely answered.

"Contentment." She shortly replied. I nodded and went back to listening to the homily when I heard her speak again.

With a soft voice, she asked "Besides praying for something, what else do you talk to God about?"

"I talk to God about you." I inaudibly whispered. I silently cursed myself and hoped that she didn't hear it.

"Me too." She said softly. And with longing eyes, she looked at me and smiled.

It was time for 'Ama Namin' so we stood up and she tightly clutched my hand. I realized that she must also be holding David's hand on the other side. I didn't even look at it because the thought alone infuriates me, instead, I cherished the moment of holding her hand even if just for a few minutes.

As the song ended, she never let go of my hand.

I caught David looking at our intertwined hands. He looked at me, and with kind eyes, as if he finally understands, gave me a warm and encouraging smile.

***
And there, in front of your family, in front of the whole church, and even in the presence of God, you held my hand so tightly and you never let go.

You were always so brave, Jade.

And that is why I have to let you go.

Love,
Althea

Author's Note: Again, sorry for the short update. I'll get back to it later! :) Vote and comment! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

791 4 24
What would you do if you saw the love of you wanted from your crush directed towards another person? Would you hide those feelings for him/her? Woul...
898 25 18
Would you still SAVE the person you love, even if it can only mean to lose your own LIFE?.... W.by: Shemmy & Lane E. Wattpad accounts: @DrakeManob...
2.2K 110 15
The Past - The present - A Fight - A Crash - A Accident followed by a realization....What would you do, if you were about to loose the one person tha...
120K 3.8K 52
The desire to find someone who could accept you for who you truly are. Not the people personified you with.......... Can FATE lead you to her? ...