The Ballerina & The Devil

By memoirsofjess

"Why don't you go back to Hell?" I spat, fury boiling in the pit of my stomach. A dry smile played on his lip... More

Copyright Statement
(Extended) Synopsis + Author's Note
One. First Day Butterflies
Two. Catching Up
Three. Failed Attempts
Four. Her Safe Haven
Five. Apologies
Six. More Apologies
Seven. Figuring It Out
Eight. Turn Up
Nine. Non-Confessions
Ten. Accidents
Eleven. The Aftermath
Twelve. Another Heroic Action
Thirteen. An Escape Plan From Hell
Fourteen. His Safe Haven
Fifteen. The Tale of Two Princesses
Sixteen. Twenty Interrogations
Seventeen. The Devil Emerges
Eighteen. Her Sanity and His Uncertainties
Nineteen. How You Get The Boy
Twenty. Their Pride and Their Prejudice
Twenty One. His Muse
Twenty Two. A Fatal Secret Sealed with a Kiss
Twenty Three. Average Cupcakes
Twenty Four. One More Broken Soul
Twenty Five. The Burdens They Shared
Twenty Six. Touchdown
Twenty Seven. Late Night Oaths
Twenty Eight. Two Pieces of a Broken Heart
Twenty Nine. IITMOAESOS
Thirty. Reality is a Bitch
Thirty and a Half. Reality is a Bitch
Thirty One. Her White Knight
Thirty Two. He Isn't Chuck and She Isn't Blair
Thirty Four. Down On His Knees
Thirty Five. Act Like a Lady
Thirty Six. In The Hands of a Devil
Thirty Seven. Works of Art
Thirty Eight. A Wing Woman in Action
Thirty Nine: Part 1. A Night Out on the Town
Thirty Nine: Part 2. Good Luck Love
Forty. A Brotherly Understanding
Forty One. What's His is His
Forty Two. The Ballerina, The Devil, and His Maker
Forty Three. A Sanctuary in Her
Forty Four. Nothing More Than a Mask
IMPORTANT Author's Note
Forty Five. Partners in Crime
Forty Five and a Half. Partners in Crime
Forty Six. Raise The White Flag
Forty Seven. Trapped in Her Own Hell
Forty Eight. A Heart of Glass
Forty Nine. Perfectly Fucked Up
Fifty. A Devil in the Dark
Fifty One. In Which They Runaway
Fifty Two. Everything He Couldn't Say
Fifty Three. Those Three Scary Words
Fifty Four. What a Deeply Imbedded Fear It Is
Fifty Four and a Half. What a Deeply Imbedded Fear It Is
Fifty Five. Ready or Not
Fifty Six. And Then There Was Nothing
Fifty Seven. One More Time
Fifty Eight. It All Fell Into Place
Fifty Nine. The Right One
Sixty. One More Lie
Sixty One. The Truth Will Always Come Out
Sixty Two. What an Ugly Truth It Is
Sixty Three. Things Have To Get Worse...
Sixty Four. The Deepest Cut
Sixty Five. A Profound Sadness
Sixty Six. The End
Sixty Seven. Found and Lost Again
Sixty Eight. If You Can't Love Yourself
Sixty Nine. One More Miserable Chapter
Seventy. I'll See You Later Part. 1
Seventy. I'll See You Later Part 2
Epilogue.
Spin-Off
Saudade is Up!

Thirty Three. In Which She Forgives, Forgets, and Revokes

100K 3.9K 2.3K
By memoirsofjess

My hood was up and my sunglasses were on as I walked down the school hallway with a lowered head. So far, so good. Nobody had recognized me which I was thoroughly grateful for.

I was determined to put off the wandering stares and the lingering whispers, I knew I was doomed to face, for as long as I could, thanks to my not so little showdown with Aidan. The best possible way to do that would be to blend in as best as I could and just pray to God that my cover wasn't blo-

"DEMI!" Kenzie's voice screamed from somewhere down the hallway.

I slowly looked up to see my friend waving at me frantically from her spot near the water fountain down the hall. Majesty was at her side, leaning against one of the red painted lockers right by it.

"DEMI OVER HERE!"

I shut my eyes and the atmosphere change was almost immediate. I could practically hear my name became apart of the whispers of the student body, and that wasn't even me being dramatic.

I tore off my glasses and hood, and stomped over to my friends, ignoring the looks being thrown my way.

"Kenzie, what the hell?" I snapped, shoving her. "I was incognito! How did you even know it was me?"

"Because those are my sunglasses I let you borrow last July," she snatched them out of my hand and shoved them in her bag. "Besides, you're my best friend. I would be able to spot you in a sea of hooded figures and shaded eyes."

"Why are you incognito?" Majesty asked with an amused smile. Her arms around my body, pulling me into a hug. "It's nice to see you among the living and not locked in your room by the way."

"Thanks," I sighed, squeezing her back before dropping my arms. "And I was incognito so that I wouldn't be subjected to the mental abuse and harassment from my peers."

Kenzie pinned me with a look "Nobody's even talking about it anymo-"

"Demi!"

I turned around to see Mikayla and Tessa rushing their way over to where my friends and I stood.

"Hi-"

Mikayla threw her arms around me and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

"Oh my god," I practically choked. "Hi, Kay."

"I was so worried about you!" She pulled back. Her pink lips turned down into a frown as she assessed me. "You disappeared for days after I found you in the bathroom. I'm glad to see you're back and....okay?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. I just wasn't feeling too well for a while."

"Good," she beamed. "I mean, not that you weren't feeling well, but that you're okay."

"So what's going on with you and Aidan?" Tessa interjected eagerly. She leaned forward causing her pin straight blonde hair to fall over her shoulders.

I smiled tightly ignoring the gut sinking feeling that ensued in my stomach. I gave Kenzie a look that clearly said: Nobody's talking about it, huh?

She pointedly looked away and hummed a tune to herself.

"Tess," Mikayla hit her friend's arm. "Don't be such a nosey bitch."

"I'm not being nosey," Tessa protested. "I just want to know."

"That's being nosey," Mikayla rolled her eyes.

"It's okay," I assured her before looking at Tessa. "Nothing's going on with me and...him. It was just a misunderstanding. Everything's fine."

"Oh," Tessa frowned. Her shoulders slumped, and she looked disappointed at the lack of juiciness in that piece of gossip. "That's it?"

"Were you expecting another answer, Tessa?" Majesty crossed her arms across her chest and fixed her with an irritated look.

"Well, no, I was just-"

"Demi."

I stifled a groan. My luck could not be that bad. I didn't have the strength today. I really didn't.

I swiveled my body around to see, guess who, standing behind me.

Chase flashed me a winning smile. "Hey."

"Hi," I replied shortly before turning back around to face my friends. "Let's go to homeroom."

"Can I speak with you for a quick minute, Demi?" Chase asked hopefully.

I opened my mouth, but Kenzie beat me to the punch.

"Hasn't she made it painfully clear she doesn't want to talk to you?" She asked rudely giving him a look of death.

Chase stared at her in detest. "You know, Kenz you really shouldn't open your mouth. It ruins the little bit of attractiveness you have going for you."

She started forward immediately with clenched fists, but I quickly grabbed her arm and dragged her back before she did anything crazy. Like kill him.

"Kenzie, relax," I pushed her gently to Majesty who grabbed her hand. "It's fine. I'll be right behind you."

"Fine," she huffed, shooting a glare at my ex-boyfriend before storming off in the opposite direction.

"See you in homeroom then," Majesty gave me a curious look, clearly asking why I wanted to speak to Chase.

I gave her a reassuring smile. "Yeah. I'll be right there."

Majesty nodded and followed Kenzie.

"So, I'll see you later, Dem," Mikayla smiled sweetly.

I smiled back and nodded.

"Come on, Tess," she said, grabbing Tessa, who was watching the little scene unfold with rapt attention, and towing her off.

I considered for a moment high tailing after them, but I had a bone to pick with Chase. I spun around and opened my mouth to tell him off, but Chase was already speaking.

"Why do you hang out with Kenzie?" He demanded.

"Because she's my friend," I planted my hands on my hips.

"She's probably the most irritating person I've ever met."

I clicked my tongue. The only other person that was allowed to say Kenzie was annoying out loud aside from me was Majesty, and seeing as Chase wasn't either I felt defensiveness for my friend prickle at me. Sure, Kenzie, for the most part, drove me up the wall, but that was just her personality. He had no right to talk her down like that.

"Let's get something straight," I started with a scowl on my face. "You don't get to talk to or about my friends like that. Ever. I don't care what they say or do to you. Do not do it."

Chase held his hands up in surrender, looking amused and unfazed by my angry demeanor.

"Sorry," he shrugged, not sounding very apologetic. "She was annoying me."

"Whatever," I stared at him expectantly. "What do you want?"

"Woah why so hostile, D money?"

I wrinkled my nose and wondered why I ever liked that name or allowed him to call me that. Love really made you do some stupid shit.

"This wouldn't have something to do with Benson putting you on blast Monday in your Lit class would it?" He continued with a smug smile on my face.

I ground my teeth together and clenched my fists, trying to shake the desperate need to punch him in the face.

"Fuck you," I turned on my heel, but was dragged back over to my original position before I could go very far.

"You wouldn't, remember?" He teased, smirking like the idiot he truly was.

I wiggled my arm that was in his tight grasp and let out an exasperated sigh. "Let me go, please."

"Oh, just calm down. I'm only messing with you."

"Don't tell me to calm down," I snapped. "I'm very calm."

He raised his eyebrows, and I let out another sigh. This time of resignation.

"Sorry," I muttered. "I'm not in the best mood right now."

"Understandable," he nodded his eyes shining with the smallest bit of sympathy. His grip loosened on me. "You know I've been worried about you."

I looked at him a little suspiciously, extracting my hand. "You have?"

"Of course I have. I know how overemotional you tend to get, so when I heard what happened between you and Benson I knew you probably derailed a little bit."

My eyebrows lifted only latching onto one word.

Overemotional?

Chase mistook my disbelief at him calling me overemotional for disbelief that he was worried for me.

"Is that so hard to believe?" He asked, sounding annoyed. "That I care about you?"

"Actually it is," I tilted my head, barely paying mind that the first bell rang, and the crowded hallway was dispersing around us. "You made it very clear you don't give a damn about me or my feelings when you had sex with someone else."

"How long are you going to keep throwing that back in my face?" He frowned as if genuinely upset I wouldn't let the fact that he cheated on me go.

I shrugged. "How long do you intend to keep bothering me?"

"Can't you forgive me?" He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you how I am sorry before you believe it. I'm sorry, Demi. I never set out to hurt you. I made a stupid and impulsive mistake in the heat of a moment. It's not an excuse, but it's the truth. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would. Believe me I would, and I would choose stay loyal to you."

I considered his words for a moment and gauged the expression on his face. For once he didn't have that stupid smirk or a smug look on his face. He looked regretful, hopeful, and, most of all, sincere.

"Why didn't you choose to stay loyal to me?" I asked curiously. "You really couldn't wait a little while longer for me to be ready to...do it?"

"I'm a man."

I rolled my eyes. "That excuse doesn't sound any better this time around either, you know."

"Demi, I really don't have a reason," he sighed with a shrug. "I was thinking with the head between my legs instead of the head on my shoulders."

"Charming," I made a face.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, a soft expression on his face. "I'm really sorry."

The anger and bitterness I had been harboring towards him slowly melted off of me in waves as I looked at him. He wasn't saying sorry to say sorry, he actually meant it. He was sorry for what he did.

I found myself nodding slowly and three words I never thought I would say to Chase Adams flew out of my mouth.

"I forgive you."

Chase looked at me cautiously as if he really didn't believe me. "You do?"

I nodded and offered him a smile. "Yeah, I do. I forgive you."

He grinned, a look of triumph and pure ecstasy broke out on his face.

"That does not mean we are getting back together," I quickly added, causing his smile to drop a fraction. "I've forgiven you, but that doesn't me I've forgotten. Besides, we were bound to break up eventually."

"Oh?" His eyebrows raised. "And why is that?"

"We aren't compatible," I shrugged. "You can try and deny it all you want, but you know just as well as I do that it's the truth. We don't work together. We fought all the time."

"All couples argue," he pointed out.

"But we argued constantly and over the most ridiculous things," I shook my head. "I couldn't even glance at a guy without you going on a full out tirade," I snorted. "Which was a tad bit ironic if you ask me."

"Good thing I didn't ask you," he said dryly.

"There was no trust," I played with a strand of my hair. "You didn't trust me, and I don't know if I can ever trust you again. I forgive you," I quickly reassured him before he could interject which he looked prepared to do. "But that doesn't mean I trust you. If we got back together I would always be wondering what you're doing when you aren't with me."

"And you wouldn't be available for anybody else?" His eyes bored into mine.

I looked away swiftly. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Uh huh," he snorted

"I think it's time to give this up," I peered up at him. "Can you do that?"

"You know me well enough to know that I never give up on what I want," Chase flashed me a charming smile, taking a step closer to me. "And I want you."

I glared at him, taking an automatic step back. "Why can't you just let this go? Why can't we part ways as unlikely friends with no hard feelings?"

"Because I don't want to just be friends with you," he admitted, taking another step closer. "If we aren't dating, then we're nothing."

I stepped back and found myself pressed against the lockers. I lifted my chin, trying not to show my growing nervousness.

"Then I guess we're nothing."

He placed his hands on either side of my head, trapping me, and leaned in so he was inches away from my face. "I don't like that option."

"Do you have a multiple personality disorder?" I demanded, becoming aware it was only him and I in the hall. "Because I swear two minutes ago you were giving me this heartfelt apology, and now you're harassing me."

"It's not harassment if you like it," he smirked.

"That's arguable," I gritted my teeth. "Back up."

"You know you've missed me."

"I have not missed you," I scoffed. "You've barely crossed my mind, and when you do, it's because you're bothering me."

Hurt flashed in his eyes for a quick second before he concealed it with his usual arrogant stare and smirking lips.

"Just admit you've missed me," he leaned in even closer, his minty breath fanning against my face. "It'll be our little secret."

"I haven't missed you," I repeated, placing a hand on his chest and giving it a good shove. "Get away from me."

"I think you've forgotten what there is to miss," his eyes lowering to stare at my lips. "Maybe you're due for a reminder."

"Chase," I said sharply, realizing what he was about to do. "Don't you d-"

A pair of soft lips planted themselves on mine, interrupting me mid-sentence.

I instantly stilled. I was shocked that he actually had enough nerve to kiss me. I snapped out of my astounded state, and began pushing against his chest in attempt to get him off of me. That, unfortunately, did virtually nothing for my cause. Chase wasn't the most muscular guy in world, he was no Aidan Benson by any means, but he was definitely stronger than me. To the point where my pushes and shoves were nothing but feeble annoyances.

I moved to plan B and lifted my knee to make contact with his groin. That didn't work in my favor either. I guess he anticipated me trying that because quick as a flash his hand was shoving my leg back down. He pressed his rock hard body against mine so I was unable to move around.

I made a muffled noise of indignation and started thrashing around, trying to get him off me. His lips pressed harder against mine, craving a similar response.

If he thought for even one minute that I was going to kiss him back a seed of insanity had been planted in his brain that morning.

His arms trailed slowly down my own in a relaxing gesture which only pissed me off more. How dare he try to relax me while he was simultaneously forced himself on me.

Eventually, my body stopped fighting. My heart slowed back down to its normal speed, and a sort of calm washed over me. I relaxed against him, almost like I was giving into him. Chase's hands moved down to grip my waist, and, don't ask me why I did what I did....

Maybe it was the fact I knew full well he wouldn't let me go until he decided he wanted to let me go.

Maybe it was the familiarity of his lips and the accustomed way they moved against mine.

Maybe it was because I had been in a vulnerable state for the past few days.

Maybe I liked the feeling of being wanted.

Or maybe I was just fucking crazy.

Either way, my arms moved around Chase's neck, and my lips began to respond to his insistent ones.

That seemed to really please him. He eagerly pressed his body even closer against mine so every inch of him was lined against me. His lips moved against mine at a rapid pace. I didn't fail to notice that the manner of it in its entirety was completely opposite of how Aidan had kissed me.

His kisses were slower and more passionate. They had more of a build up to them, and it managed to ignite a spark in my core that ran through my entire body from the tips of my toes, to the top of my head, to everything in between.

Chase, on the other hand, kissed with greed. It was almost a hungry-like act that was mostly meant for his pleasure and his pleasure only. I wouldn't go as far as saying he was a bad kisser or anything...he was good, and I used to get off from his kisses just fine, but I found it didn't really didn't resonate in me the way it once did.

The spark that was there just months ago was gone, and it seemed to have moved itself to Aidan.

Ugh.

Aidan, Aidan, Aidan, fucking Aidan. What the hell was wrong with me? Here I was kissing another guy, and all I could think about was Aidan freaking Benson. The same Aidan Benson that shattered my heart, humiliated me in front of everyone and their mother, and point blank told me he wasn't interested after he hooked up with me.

He was nothing more than a jerk. A jerk that, like everybody had been saying, didn't deserve a place in my thoughts. I shouldn't be fawning over him or yearning for his lips. I shouldn't be thinking about how nobody on Earth could ever come near his skill kissing or arousing me in ways I had never been aroused before. How nobody could ever compare to his unbearably good looks, his witty charm, his jaw-dropping gorgeous brown eyes, his-

NO. Shut up, shut up, shut up! I screamed at myself. You do not care about him. You. Don't. Care. So what if he's the complete and total package of looks, humor, and  charm? There's other fish in the damn sea. He doesn't want you. Get over it. Have some dignity, woman.

I focused my attention back on the matter at hand. Chase. Who was getting way too handsy for my comfort at that point. I mentally rolled my eyes and was about to try, once again, to pry him off me when all weight was lifted from me completely. My eyes flew open, and I stared down at Chase in bewilderment who was now on the ground.

I began wondering if I had done that with my mind. Maybe I had some supernatural powers that were finally coming in. I always knew I belonged at Hogwa-

"Are you okay?"

I whipped around to see Aidan standing beside. He was looking down at Chase with a look of boiling anger and hate in his eyes. When his gaze turned to me, the anger and hate was still there, but there was added concern to his expression.

I frowned. So much for my letter from Hogwarts.

"Are you okay?" He repeated, taking a step closer to me in which I responded with a step back.

"Of course I'm okay," I spat. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Well, I- I was helping you-"

"Helping me?" I inquired. "Did it look like I needed help? We were kissing. You know what that is, right? When a boy likes a girl and she likes him he usually kisses her because he sees something special in her."

Aidan's eyes narrowed. "You don't like him."

I scoffed at the firmness in his voice. He sounded like he was telling me I couldn't like him as opposed to reminding me of my feelings of detest towards him.

"Well, that's not true," I folded my arms across my chest.

"Yes it is," he gritted his teeth. His hand reached out and grabbed my own, yanking me to his side. "Let's go. We're leaving."

I tore my hand away and once again stepped back. I pinned him with a nasty glare. "We are not going anywhere. I'm perfectly fine where I am, thank you very much."

"If you're doing this to get back at me-"

"What?" I shrieked, inexplicable anger coursing through my body. "Are you kidding me!? Are you insane? I am not doing this to get back at you! And if you truly believe that you're in need of a major ego check."

He brushed off my comments. "Did he force himself on you? He did, didn't he?"

I pursed my lips and then opened my mouth, but Chase stood up at that moment and took a step towards me. He threw his arm around my shoulders and a cocky smirk pulled at his lips.

"Actually, bro she responded pretty damn enthusiastically, so the word forced maybe a little too drastic."

Aidan's eyes flickered from Chase's to my own in search for the truth. I looked away promptly and stared blankly at a spot on the floor.

Silence wrapped us up, and then I heard retreating footsteps. I looked up in time to see Aidan whipping around the hallway corner.

My shoulders slumped, but I quickly pushed the feeling of guilt away. Aidan had absolutely no right to be possessive. I wasn't his, and he didn't want me as his, so what I did with any other guy shouldn't bother him.

But that raised a perfectly good question: Why did he seem so bothered?

"So, where were we?" Chase asked, casting a look down at me.

I removed his arm from my body and gave him a sincere smile before delivering a sharp slap across his face. The sound of the hit bounced off the lockers in the empty hallway.

Chase staggered back and clutched his cheek. His eyes widening in shock.

"Forgiveness revoked," I spit, before spinning on my heel and storming off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I've noticed most of y'all don't like Kenzie 😂😂😂. Why's that?

I hope you liked this chapter! And btw this book is #33 in Teen Fiction! That's so freaking crazy. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH I CANT SAY IT ENOUGH. Y'ALL ARE AMAZING!

Vote.

Comment.

Share.

Love you all,
Jess xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

822K 27.7K 33
Alexander walker and Dylan Ross. Two inseparable and most importantly 'straight' best friends who just like to mess around. What could go wrong betwe...
138K 4.2K 34
One girl. One boy. One Christmas. ~~~~~ "This is so good!" - @Rubyredprimrose "I'm gonna miss reading this book. ❤" - @Theodorables "Omg I love it so...
43.7K 1.7K 34
"What the hell did you do!?" I heard a feminine voice behind me. I groaned and turned around to meet a very angry face. I have never seen a girl this...
143 1 13
Welcome to Dante's Demonic High School. Where little boys and girls born in Hell go to grow and learn about everything they need to do and be, to mak...