Life in the Flames

By MorganKnox

Alonia is the final water wielder of her tribe. After her people are attacked she is taken to the fire kingdo... More

Life in the Flames
Life in the Flames-1
Life in the Flames-2
Life in the Flames-3
Life in the Flames-4
Life in the Flames-5
Life in the Flames-6
Life in the Flames-7
Life in the Flames-8
Life in the Flames-9
Life in the Flames-10
Life in the Flames-11
Life in the Flames-Alonia
Life in the Flames-12
Life in the Flames-13
Life in the Flames-14
Life in the Flames-15
Life in the Flames-16
Life in the Flames-17
Life in the Flames-18
Life in the Flames-20
Life in the Flames-21
Life in the Flames-22
Life in the Flames-23

Life in the Flames-19

6.1K 120 34
By MorganKnox

Chapter 19

Breaking Bonds and Creating New Ones

Reid's POV

I looked up to find Serra with a woman with her arms draped across Serra’s shoulders for support as she slowly limped over to one of the seats around the fire pit. Then the woman looked up at me- with HER eyes. Alonia’s eyes. Then when I took in the rest of her appearance, piercing pains of longing ripped through my chest.

The woman looked like a more matured and weathered form of Alonia. The same sun tanned skin, (but covered in scrapes and bruises,) the same round face with similar soft features except Alonia’s nose was cuter, and most of all the striking sea blue eyes. She had her brown hair pulled back in a bun revealing a large pink scar of a burn the size of her hand on her neck.

She caught my gaze in her and I could feel the pain, sorrow, and loss in her eyes, just like Aloina. Again the pain in my chest returned.

Then she broke our contact with a sigh before she continued to speak, “Prince Reid, Serra has told me you are here trying to seek and save my daughter, Alonia.”

“You’re Alonia’s mother,” Thorin broke in and said with wide eyed realization. “How did you manage to survive Ms. Seaream?”

“Survive?” she asked with a shudder, “You call failing to save your own people, watching the ones you care for suffer, losing your soul mate, your daughter, and life as you knew it, surviving?”

“Aunt Aubree, please,” Serra said in a caring, soothing tone. It was the nicest I had seen her act to anyone since we had joined with her group. “We found her unconscious and badly burned south of where the attack occurred. I and the remainder of the Southern Tribe members had finally gathered enough resources for a crossing on the small ship we had built so we could unite with the Northern Tribe. We must have missed the battle by just a day or so. We found nothing but ruins, fires still spilt smoke over the broken and demolished land. We searched and searched but found no survivors until we found Aubree.”

I watched as Alonia’s mother trembled slightly and battled to stop the tears that formed in her eyes. “I thought I was the only one left, but my daughter, she’s alive? I thought her to be dead like the rest of them. But you, Prince, brought her to Floric didn’t you?” she asked gently touching the burn on her neck.

“Yes ma’am,” I answered as I remembered carrying Alonia’s limp form onto my ship. If I had known that this was ever going to happen I wouldn’t have ever let her out of my arms.

“But now where is she?”

“We believe she was taken to Lathar.”

I watched as the color drained from her face and as pure horror and hatred climbed into her eyes. “Blast that Volcin! First my family and people in the south, then my husband and his clan, but he will not have Alonia too!”

“Ms. Seaream we do not plan on letting him,” Breezy said as she rejoined us at the fire pit. She glided over to the seat beside Aubree and took one of her hands. “Your daughter has become a dear friend of mine and I will do whatever it takes to get her back.”

“Friend?” she blinked, “my Alonia has a friend?”

“Yes miss,” Breezy said with a comforting smile. “I couldn’t ask for a better friend.”

That seemed to loosen her up a bit but then the question I dreaded came, “But why Prince, why are you risking everything you have back at your home for my daughter?”

I took a deep breath as I tried to formulate what I was going to say. I couldn’t tell her the truth, I wanted to tell that to Alonia and to Alonia alone.

“Because it is my fault she is where she is now. I brought her to Floric and that is where she was kidnapped from, so I am responsible,” I said truthfully, but not the entire truth.

Alonia’s mother raised an eyebrow and I knew, just from the look she gave me, she knew truth. She knew how I felt about her daughter. Then she did one of the most unexpected things I thought she would do. She smiled.

Just from that smile I knew she approved. Without even speaking, Alonia’s mother had given me her approval. I could see she was happy for her only child, who once saved, had a chance for happiness. None the less she approved of me, a rival elemental, and a prince of the flames.

“Neal go find Yllianna,” Aubree Seaream asked one of the boys who had escorted us here. After he disappeared into one of the tunnels Ms. Seaream brought her attention back to me. “So what is your plan for rescuing Alonia?”

Oh crap, “Uh well I have a spy inside the emperor’s castle and I was going to get a message to him once we reached the Lathar fire outpost. Then uh-,”

“You didn’t have a plan did you?” Serra asked with astonishment while Aubree nodded her head with a look of understanding on her face.

“You just wanted to try and get to her as fast as you could, am I correct?” Aubree asked. She could see right through me. I nodded and she continued, “I now understand why, my prince, but you will be without a plan no more. I’d like you to meet Yllianna, our best bet to save my daughter,” she said as she motioned for me to turn around.

A young dirt brown color haired girl stood beside me as she stood with her hands on her hips. She was short, only about five foot three and was wearing a white tunic and brown baggy pants tucked into thin wrap up boots that came to her mid-calf. She had strong facial features including her red lips that offset her fair skin color. But all of her features led up to her almond shaped, stubborn looking dark brown eyes.

“ ‘ello zer Prince Reid,” the earth bender said.

…..

Alonia’s POV

“Ah there is my little waterfall!” Brick exclaimed as I stepped through the doors into the large circular dining room. "Come come my dear one!"

Ugh, I thought, these little names of his are getting really old. I wish I could show him the real force of a waterfall.

Two curved wooden tables ran along the curved walls full of men and women dressed in some of the most outrageous and gaudy clothing I had ever seen. I guess they all follow the emperor in style, ugly. I swallowed the nerves that were rising inside of me as I walked to the head table where the pompous emperor sat waiting, in his typical over jeweled garb, excitedly for me.

I could feel the glares, the judging, and hear the whispers but I didn’t care. I had forced myself to be completely numb to it all.

As I silently took my seat next to Brick it took all of my will not to show my displeasure. I managed to keep my face calm as stone even though just being near the man made me want to vomit.

“Now that our guest of honor has arrived, let dinner be served!” Volcin said with a clap of his meaty hands.

Servants streamed in and placed heaping, steaming, plates full of food onto each table. Drinks were poured but everyone sat there until the emperor stood. The courtiers followed but I stayed in my seat while they began to chant something in their language. I only caught the “and rise to rule again,” at the end of it.

Brain washed, he has them all brainwashed.

Volcin picked up his cup with a smile and said, “Let’s eat,” and everyone obeyed.

While the bear beside me guzzled his food sloppily, I barely picked at the sizzling meat and veggies on my plate. I tried to keep my eyes on my food but occasionally I’d look up to see some of the court members staring and then they’d quickly look away.

Sometime during the meal a group of musicians had entered and had begun to play and people seemed to loosen up as the drinks flowed. Men joked and laughed while the women quietly gossiped amongst themselves.

“Alonia,” Brick hissed in my ear, “do something, anything! Don’t just sit there!”

I looked at him blankly and then I took a sip of water. There are you happy? I did something.

He muttered something angrily under his breath and then he slipped me a piece of folded parchment that read: “You will announce that you will take the council seat tonight.”

 Then a group of men in armor entered into the dining hall, and asked to speak with him. Something about urgent news, so the emperor stood and followed the men to the far end of the room to speak.

Brick was right, I had to do something. Something to shake things up… Then the idea struck.

I stood up from my seat and walked to the center of the room. You want a show, you are going to get one, I thought as I motioned for the musicians to start a slow song.

At that point every eye was trained on me, just what I had wanted. I closed my eyes and recalled the time I danced with Breezy and the other air wielders. I let my body flow to the music as I fell into the simple steps. Then I had found myself doing one of my training dances, the flowing forms of water bending blended to the music. Suddenly I could feel my power surging and slamming full force into the shield that kept me from my power. The force welled and welled until all of a sudden the anklet began to vibrate on my ankle.

Then as I was spinning on one of my legs it popped right off of my leg and all the water in the room reacted instantly. I kept my face blank as I masked my pure excitement at being able to bend again, for my powers to be free.

Water from all of the glasses, pitchers, and flower pots rose into the air and gathering into a giant mass above me. I opened my eyes to find everyone wide eyed in awe and Volcin’s full of fear.

I smiled right at him before I split the water into two separate streams that I made spiral around in circles above everyone’s heads. I then weaved the tubes of water like snakes between the guests who cheered at the “show” but Brick nervously shifted on his feet as he rapidly changed his gaze from one stream of water to the other.

Then I pushed my hands in his direction and he cringed as the water dove for him. Right before they swallowed him I forced them to circle around him, leaving him completely dry, and then back to gather in the giant orb before me.

I held it in its from for seconds later and then I pushed it apart, all the water molecules into mist that rained down over the entire dining room full of cheering and clapping royal court members. They didn’t fuss over the moisture like I had hoped but Brick looked rather unhappy as she glared at me.

Was that enough for you, your majesty, I thought with a smirk.

“My name is Alonia Seaream, granddaughter of the great Sampson Seaream, and I am here to take my place as the new seat holder for the water wielders.”

Gasps and whispers flew through the room. Then an argument broke out amongst the group of four armored men that had taken Brick aside. Their faced had turned red, and they would turn and point at me, and then direct their words back to the emperor.

Then he turned an awful pale white color as he heard the worst of their news. He tried to shake off his look of unease as he walked over to me, and put his arms around my shoulders. Yuck. “Didn’t you guys enjoy her little show? Alonia is my guest here until things are sorted out. Please let’s make her feel welcome!”

I zoned out as he introduced me to his people. I shook hands, and went to the next person not even bothering to learn a name. I just wanted to get out of that room.

After we finished he ordered a servant to take me to my room and I could have sworn he sounded worried. Something was up.

When I finally arrived to my room the servant locked my door from the outside as I sat down on my bed with a smile on my face.

He could try to cage me, chain me, and try to collar me from my power but now it didn’t matter. I could break his bonds, and I could ruin his plans.

I could escape.

About an hour later after I had washed and changed out of my dress, I was standing in front of my window, watching the dark night sky as the almost full moon was rising into the heavens. I could feel its rays though the glass and I could feel the calming steady beat of my power humming inside of me.

Tomorrow night the moon would be full and that is when I would take my chance. I would use all of my strength plus the power the moon gave me. It was risky but I couldn’t stand being here much longer.

Suddenly I heard a key being fit inside of my door and in walked Ruth with a trey of cookies and a glass of water. I smiled at her but her face was full of sadness.

“Ruth, what is wrong?”

“Oh miss, news was brought tonight during dinner that you don’t want to hear.”

“Ruth, please tell me. What is it?”

She sighed and she sat down the trey, “His highness was just informed that his daughter Ophelia is in a dungeon in the royal palace of Floric. He is enraged, the emperor is. The Prince called off the engagement and was seen leaving Floric with two others. They think he is coming for you.”

For me? He shed his duty to his country for me, I thought. My eyes widened, “Reid, oh no-,”

“Rumors of war have already begun to surface Alonia. The marriage was going to be a truce between our two countries but now fighting will surely begin soon.”

“No, this was exactly what I was trying to prevent. The only reason I was going along with this was to stop a war but now I’m the main cause of one. Reid why must you do this?” I asked but secretly my heart leaped knowing he was coming for me.

“He’s the one you were thinking about, wasn’t he miss?” Ruth inquired.

“Yes,” I answered but then all the dangers I could possibly getting him into sprang into my mind. “Ruth please don’t tell me they are looking for him,” I began.

She sighed and placed a caring hand gently on my shoulder, “Alonia they have increased the number of guards around the palace. No entry way will be unattended and guards will routinely pass through the halls of the palace to make sure everything is secure. They have also have put the Prince as wanted and a large reward will be rewarded for whoever captures and brings him to the palace here.”

No, I thought with anger surging through me. I could feel the water in my bathroom vibrating to match the red hot hate boiling through me.

“Miss please, stay calm,” Ruth begged.

I took a deep breath and cleared my head a bit. I was letting my feelings get to me again, but at this point I didn’t care. I wasn’t going to lose anyone else that I cared for.

After I calmed down I suddenly felt like she wasn’t telling me something. Some information that would be very important to me.

“Ruth what else?”

“You have been placed under constant guard. There will always be someone outside of your door and I’m the only one allowed inside to bring you food and other necessities. I’m so sorry,” she said dropping her head sadly.

Well crap. That really did put a damper on my “escape” plans but I didn’t care. I was going to risk it, tomorrow. I was going to somehow get Ruth, Burke and myself all out alive. It was going to be a challenge, but after all I’d been through I had to try.

“Tomorrow,” I said.

“Tomorrow miss?” Ruth asked confused.

“I’m going to get us out of here tomorrow.”

….End of Chapter 19….

Soooo how did you guys like it? I was going to try and upload sooner but my internet was being all screwy but now its all nice and fixed again! =D Anyways I hope you guys liked it and please please please don’t be afraid to leave a nice little comment and maybe vote. Oh and hey maybe even fanning me ^_^

Oh I’d also like to give a shout out to all my great fans that have supported me this far! And to my fan Yllianna I hope you are ready for your character to fill her role!

I have one other thing to ask of you guys, I want to know what you think may happen next? I already have it mapped out but I wanna know what you guys are thinking =D Remember I love your guys’ input!

Ok I’ll stop rambling now. Thanks again for reading! I love you all and then next chapter will be up as soon as possible… *Gasp!* Almost to chapter 20!!! ~Morgan =)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 2.4K 25
Aida arrived as a young child to the South Pole Water Tribes after a Fire Nation raid. Left alone when everyone had left, a kind old lady decided to...
8.5K 436 24
After a thought to be nuclear bomb wipes out Earth, only five children survive, four being imbued with powers of the elements. They arrive on a dista...
202K 6.7K 33
(Soon to be an eBook) Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Lightning, and Ice. These are the six main elements of the world. Fire to warm you. ...
45.7K 1.3K 24
(y/n) (l/n) was born into a small water tribe on the other end of the south pole. You loved to watch your mother and father water bend and loved to h...