The Hunter's Queen (ICS Book...

By winterstarfire

Vincent Shaw is defeated, half-dead, and broken in more ways than one. A powerful werewolf now in exile Vince... More

Author's Note
Encyclopedia of the Supernatural
Prologue
Chapter One - The Hunter's Savior
Chapter Two - The Alchemist Saves The Wolf
Chapter Three - The Hunter Awakens
Chapter Four - Nicholas Storm
Chapter Five - Sleeping Arrangements
Chapter Six - Pleasure at the Hunter's Command
Chapter Seven - The Wolf Feels Regret
Chapter Eight - Temper's Flare
Chapter Nine - Fighting the Pull
Chapter Ten - Giving in to Temptation
Chapter Eleven - Taking the Pleasure
Chapter Twelve - Scheming Mystic's
Chapter Thirteen - Nicholas Tracks Down a Witch
Chapter Fourteen - The Wolf and the Alchemist Converse
Chapter Fifteen - How to Pleasure a Wolf
Chapter Sixteen - The Hunter Meets His Past
Chapter Seventeen - The Wolf Wakes
Chapter Eighteen - Nicholas and Betrayal
Chapter Nineteen - The Hunter's Mistake
Chapter Twenty - The Past Burns
Chapter Twenty-One - Sleeping With a Wolf
Chapter Twenty-Two - The Alchemist's Pleasure
Chapter Twenty-Three - Evelyn the Wolf Rider
Chapter Twenty-Four - The Hunter's Claim
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Best Day Ever
Chapter Twenty-Seven - The Hunter's a Big Tease
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Nicholas Finally Gets His Way
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Her New Best Day Ever
Chapter Thirty - His Worst Day Ever
Chapter Thirty-One - Evelyn the Meek is Dead
Chapter Thirty-Two - The Demon Kings Revenge
Chapter Thirty-Three - Scheming Mystic's
Chapter Thirty-Four - The Pack
Chapter Thirty-Five - Submission
Chapter Thirty-Six - Nicholas the Death Bringer
Chapter Thirty-Seven - A Revelation
Chapter Thirty-Eight - The Ascended
Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Face of True Madness
Chapter Forty - Redemption
Chapter Forty-One - A King Among Wolves
Chapter Forty-Two - The Hunter's Queen - End
The Mercenaries Dark Desires - Book Three Excerpt
Bonus Chapter - A Very Wolfy Christmas

Chapter Twenty-Five - Nicholas Reaches the Edge

124K 3.9K 830
By winterstarfire

Nicholas Reaches the Edge

North Yorkshire, England

"You're practically climbing up the walls," Jasper mused, watching Nicholas as he paced with irritation. The spectral demon cocked his head, scratching one of his black horns.

Nicholas ran a hand through his hair, muttering to himself. It had been weeks since his encounter with Levina and still no word from the fucking mystic. The sorceress had vowed to provide him with the location of Vincent, but on her terms.

Now he waited. Nicholas was many things, a patient man wasn't one of them. He was on edge, ready for a fight, with no enemy to vent his frustrations on.

The bitch.

"Should I turn?" Jasper asked jokingly. Nicholas rolled his eyes. As a spectral demon Jasper could turn completely incorporeal, a particular talent that had not only saved him from many of the Demon Kings rages, but a few of Nicholas' as well.

"You know I hate waiting. Levina has the information I want."

The vampire Charles Lockhart smiled, resting an ankle over his knee as he sat and watched Nicholas pace a hole in his expensive Persian rug. The Pure One - a vampire that never fed from the vein - resembled a disheveled angel. His short blonde hair was tousled, his white shirt wrinkled in places. "Levina will keep to her word."

Nicholas snorted, stopping to poor himself a glass of brandy. "Mystics. Meddlesome creatures, the lot of them."

Charles chuckled. "Have you met many?"

He stiffened at that, casting a weary eye at the vampire. There were certain aspects of his past best kept secret, and that was one of them. "Isn't one enough?"

Crossing his arms Jasper leaned his hip against the back of the couch with a grin. It was an elegant couch, dark red velvet, some kind of Victorian design with buttons. Nicholas liked it. He appreciated all aspects of Grey Manor, home of the Lockhart vampire clan. Since Charles had claimed Jasper as his mate Nicholas found himself visiting here often. He couldn't complain, since it was conveniently located by the witch estate, Elm Moore.

Nicholas also enjoyed visiting the vampires themselves. Grey Manor was strangely welcoming. The Gothic design, warm atmosphere, and aged style were inviting. The manor was more than just a central location for the clan, but a home.

Vampire clans tended to focus on strength in numbers, the bigger the clan the more to fear. The Lockhart's were different. There were only five of them, not including Jasper. They were highly skilled, coordinated, and loyal to a fault. The end result was a tight unit of vampires with skills that gave the Lockhart's an edge over a clan of fifty.

More importantly they were a family. Once a Lockhart always a Lockhart.

"If you're that on edge you and I can go a round?" the vampire Damian Lockhart drawled. The Forsaken sat on top of a closed piano, keeping to the shadows, his black hair and blood red eyes giving him a sinister appearance.

Nicholas shot the Forsaken a scowl. "Don't tempt me."

Damian shrugged. "Anytime, merc." His red eyes held a promise. Nicholas shook his head, his lips twitching. Upon first meeting the red-eyed vampire Nicholas had taken an instant liking to him. Of all the creatures Nicholas had met in his long life Damian reminded him most of himself. It was almost unnerving, as if he were staring at a dark reflection.

The Forsaken was also a pure-blood, which meant strong as fuck. A battle between them would be glorious.

"Where's this sister of yours?" Nicholas asked. He'd heard plenty of rumors about Damian's sister Alexandria, but had yet to meet her. The two of them were twins. Pure-bloods alone were a rarity, twins were unheard of. He couldn't deny his curiosity. Alexandria was rumored to be just as deadly as her brother, a skilled swords-woman to be feared. Nicholas liked her already.

Damian took out a small dagger, using the tip to clean his black claws. "She's not for you, Nick." His tone was casual, but Nicholas caught the underlying threat.

No fucking the sister. Got it. "Relax, vampire. I don't fuck leeches. Too bitey. The day I let a fang tap me is the day hell freezes over."

Jasper groaned, dropping his head into his hands.

Charles raised a brow.

With a move any normal person would have missed Damian flung the dagger towards Nicholas' head.

Nicholas caught it easily, flipping it in his hand. "Did I strike a nerve?"

"Call my sister a leech and I guarantee she will rip your balls off. And we don't drink from the vein, not anymore."

"Ah, yes. You're reformed." Damian and his sister were the first ever Forsaken vampires to come back from the edge, or so they said. Nicholas wasn't so sure. As far as he was concerned there was no coming back from the blood lust. Not that he was one to judge.

"You're such a dick when you're on the job," Jasper scolded.

Nicholas shrugged. Flipping the dagger over and over he leaned against the wall. This waiting was killing him. If he could just get his hands on the damn werewolf.

He could feel himself beginning to slip.

"Perhaps you should just stop," Jasper said, reading the signs. "Let someone else pick up the hunt."

"Fuck off!" The dagger flew from his hand with a snarl. Jasper turned incorporeal immediately, however the action wasn't necessary. Charles was standing before anyone could register his movements, catching the dagger not half an inch from the spectral demons nose.

Charles gave Nicholas a disapproving look. "You are family Nicholas, and I know how deeply Jasper cares for you, but I would appreciate it if you would refrain from hurling sharp objects at my mates face."

Nicholas gave him a look of pure innocence. "My hand slipped."

"Uh huh." With a smirk Charles threw the dagger back at him.

Nicholas didn't move as it sank into the wood beside his head. Shit, that was close. He fucking felt the blade pass through his hair. Raising a brow he took a sip of brandy. "Kinda close."

Charles smirked. "My hand slipped." Turning towards Jasper he looked the demon over. "Are you alright?"

Jasper snorted. "I had that completely under control."

"Of course you did, love." Charles ruffled the demons auburn hair.

Swatting at his hand Jasper scowled at the vampire. "I am capable of handling myself."

Charles nodded consolingly. "Oh yes, you are very powerful."

Nicholas groaned.

Damian yawned with boredom.

Jasper growled. "I'm gonna kick your ass, vampire."

Grabbing Jasper's chin Charles gave him a wide grin, fangs flashing. "Maybe later."

Huffing Jasper rolled his eyes. "You're impossible."

Laughing Charles gave him a quick kiss. "You love it."

"Yeah, yeah." A weird look crossed Jasper's face. "King Sebastian's summoning me."

Nicholas laughed. "Cockblocked again."

"Fuck off!" Jasper shouted before phasing. A second later he returned with a very shaken Sebastian. The Demon King was pale faced, his golden eyes glowing brightly.

Nicholas went on alert immediately. "What's wrong?"

Shaking his head Sebastian poured himself a hefty glass of brandy and chugged it down.

"Whoa." Jasper clucked his tongue.

Waving the spectral demon off Sebastian poured himself another glass, swallowing it down just as quickly as the first.

"Want to talk about it, killer?" Nicholas asked.

Dragging in a deep breath Sebastian began to pace, following the same path on the Persian rug that Nicholas had been furiously walking not just moments before. Rubbing the back of his head the Demon King opened his mouth, then closed it again.

A knowing grin spread across Charles face. "Already?"

Sebastian gave him a look of death. "Shut it."

Jasper stared between them confused. "Already what?"

Stopping Sebastian placed his hands on his hips and took a deep breath. "Victoria is with child."

Silence permeated the room.

"Are...you sure?" Jasper asked.

Rolling his eyes Sebastian gritted his teeth. "Are you fucking kidding? Of course I'm sure!"

"And why are you here and not there?" Jasper pointed at the floor accusingly.

"I freaked."

Shit! Glancing up at the ceiling Nicholas shook his head. "Nice one."

"What was I supposed to do? This is no time for a babe." Sebastian began to pace again. "With the threat of the Legion, if something were to happen-" he broke off, rubbing a hand down his face. "I didn't think it would happen so soon. It normally takes centuries for immortals to conceive."

Walking up to him Nicholas placed a hand on his shoulder. "Nothing will happen to this child. Look around you." Sebastian did, taking in Charles and Jasper's beaming faces. Even Damian nodded, Jasper was family, which meant Sebastian was family. "That babe is well protected," Nicholas stated firmly.

Relief seemed to wash over him. Sebastian relaxed, nodding. "I'm going to be a father."

Nicholas grinned. "If Victoria doesn't kill you first for running off on her."

AN: Be honest, how many of you squealed towards the end of this chapter? Haha! I am so awesome!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

334 34 17
please note: WIP; Mature themes and R18+ content. A nameless Witch escapes her brutal captures, only to fall into the clutches of the most vicious b...
6K 320 30
(Editing grammar and sentence structure) Losing your parents at three years of age and having to grow up too soon to rule the most feared pack in the...
362 13 48
Evelina is a young witch who has just been learning her witch powers and believes that werewolves never existed before and they were killed by her ki...
567K 31.8K 66
Both have Alpha blood. Edith Silva is on a mission for one thing: get her pack back. Can she take it back in time? West Stryder is on a mission for p...