The Rebirth

By marciahfogg

In the present day an island of harmonious vampire exists. There are no humans. Vampires are born to the Isl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 11

135 11 2
By marciahfogg

The night had been long but Sylvie had learnt a lot. She was now sitting in an office deep in the main office buildings at the barracks. After the group had hatched their plan, they had led Sylvie to a derelict building just behind the barracks and she had stayed there in its basement for the day.

Concerns had been raised by the group of her involvement in the plan but Ansel had firmly told them that Sylvie was to be involved since it was her kill. She hadn’t liked the sound of that; she didn’t want to kill anyone, even though her vampire instincts were screaming with excitement at the thought.

A messenger had been sent to Hannah and Maverick telling them she was getting to stay at the barracks for a day so that Ansel and Sylvie could get properly acquainted over an evening meal. They wouldn’t be worried, Sylvie had been told that on the surface the island appeared carefree, newborns were always safe, but not Sylvie. This gave them about two hours to carry out the assassination and murder of Ralph and for Sylvie to get home and get to school on time.

As soon as dusk had fallen Ansel and Collie had collected her and smuggled her through the underground tunnels up into the safety of the office. Sylvie knew that as soon she heard the bell chime seven it was action time.

Collie was reclined on the large blue sofa that sprawled out in the middle of the office; she was tapping her feet to a silent tune. “You remember the plan, kid?”

“Yes,” Sylvie replied, hoping her voice didn’t give away her fear.

“I can smell it from you,” Collie said matter-of-factly. “That fear, it’s good. You’ll get Ralph really going. Just remember the plan and you’ll be fine.”

“I’m not so sure.” Sylvie bit at her nails and the sensation felt familiar.

“Kid, it’s now or never and if you pick never you’ll be meeting the sun,” Collie said, spinning a wooden stake between her fingers too comfortably for Sylvie’s liking. “There’s no point trying to make a shit situation smell good. It is what it is and we, you, have to stop it.” Sylvie swallowed her words and nodded. She could see the reason behind Collie’s words but it didn’t mean she liked them any better.

"I haven’t even had combat yet,” Sylvie admitted, her eyes were fixed on the clock. Soon she would have to leave the protection of the room. The sound of the second hand was vibrating in her head.

“I know but if the plan works that won’t matter.”

“And if it doesn’t?”

"Then think fast and hope you’ve got good instincts,” Collie laughed. She nodded towards the time and Sylvie felt her unbeating heart sink.

“Can’t he hear us down here?”

“Who?”

“Ralph,” Sylvie said. She had been afraid he’d break in and kill them before the plan had been put in to motion.

“He may be a good hunter but if he’s not close he can’t hear you. Sometimes that happens. Vampires can have a weaker sense, and luckily his is hearing,” Collie explained before the clock chimed, silencing the pair. “I’ve got your back.”

Sylvie nodded before she quietly turned the brass door handle and edged down the corridor. For a reason unknown her chest was heaving, and she prayed that it would stop. It reminded her of something but she couldn’t think now. She flexed her hands and feet as she stood leaning against another door. She thought of Rowan, of his handsome face, of him firing the gun, what would he think of her cowardice?

The handle of the door was cold. Sylvie pushed it open and with all her might slammed it shut again. Then she was running combing her hands over the walls, rubbing off her scent. Her finger caught a nail and a small red stream left a faint line behind her. More doors flew past as she raced around corners and down stairs.

A loud growl erupted into the silence and Sylvie felt sick. Now she had to stick to the plan. She knew she was on the second floor and had to get to the drill hall. Footsteps that didn’t belong to her echoed down the corridor, he was closing in on her.

Sylvie raced down the nearest staircase and tried a first floor exit. The handle was stiff under her grip and stuck fast. The door shook loudly as she struggled but it didn’t open. She stopped and realised that it was too quiet. There should have been footsteps but there was nothing.

Slowly she turned, pressing her back against the door. Crouched at the opposite end of the corridor was Ralph. His lip curled up and he snarled, his fangs were bared and he was hungry.

“I’ve got you now little girl,” he purred, extending his long spindly fingers towards her. “You won’t escape us.”

Confused, Sylvie stepped forward trying to glance behind him, it was a mistake. Ralph was excited and he leapt into the air, landing a few steps away. Two angelic looking vampires appeared in the space that Ralph had filled. The twins had devilish grins plastered on their faces and silver chains in their gloved hands.

“We won’t hurt you,” cooed Kimberly.

“Much,” added Kale, swing his chain like a lasso above his head.

“Now, now children, let’s not play with our food.”

“So much for the plan,” Sylvie muttered under her breath. The growl in her predator’s throat had deepened and Sylvie knew that she was running out of time.

Quickly she assessed her options. She couldn’t go forward because the twins were blocking her. There was a door between her and Ralph but it could be locked. She gulped unnecessarily and took opinion three. Sylvie turned and threw herself through the glass window positioned next to the door. It was narrow but the force sent her flying through. A yell escaped her lips as she fell and hit the solid ground. Her limbs hurt but she couldn’t waste any time.

“The stairs go,” Ralph screeched as he climbed onto the window ledge. Momentarily Sylvie watched him struggle. He was tall and apparently not very flexible; he looked awkward and almost funny as he folded his legs out of the window. He launched himself and Sylvie was running again.

Her pursuer was fast, just an arm’s length away. Something in her head told her to zig-zag so she did, running left several paces then right, left again and so on until she reached the drill hall door. Sylvie slid through the small opening and went to slide the bolt across when something caught her eye. A sharp pain exploded in her shoulder. She looked down at the large syringe, and thought it said ‘Sleep’. There was something moving in front of her but she couldn’t see, everything blurred into one and then everything was black.

                                                                                   * 

“Shit,” Rowan murmured as he watched Sylvie fall unconscious. Her eyes were directed at him but he knew she couldn’t see. He was in shock. The Resolver, Logan Ward, stepped out from his position inside one of the equipment cupboards.

“Great work, Doctor,” the officer said, walking over to slap Rowan on the back. Rowan looked at him with bewildered eyes. “This one has gotten in a lot of trouble, very unpopular with the top ranks.”

“Why?” Rowan asked. He couldn’t think straight, he was ashamed, embarrassed and horrified. He’d drugged Sylvie, beautiful and innocent Sylvie with silky red hair and perfect rose bud lips. He bent down and smoothed out her clothes with a shaking hand.

“She’s a murderer, a cold blooded vampire killer.”  

 “What?”

At that moment another vampire stalked into the hall, followed by two familiar newborns. Rowan recognised the twins that he had treated in the centre, the ones who could wear halos as crowns. He went to smile at them, an automatic reaction, when he noticed the chains in their hands. He paused and looked to Logan.

“She’s a murderer and she must pay the price,” he said.

He was toeing Sylvie’s delicate body with his heavy boot. Rowan felt the anger rise in his throat but he managed to keep his voice level when he said, “Who?”

“Newman Stewart,” snarled the slit eyed vampire, Rowan recalled his name, Ralph. His response shocked Rowan but he didn’t show it. He knew Sylvie didn’t murder his father, but the accusation shook him. “She tortured and staked him.”

“No,” Rowan said. “You’re wrong.”

“I saw her,” yelled Kimberly, kicking at Sylvie’s leg. Her eyes were ablaze with excitement and Rowan had a feeling that he had walked into very deep water. Ralph was rubbing his hands down the twin’s backs and they leant into him. It was nauseating. Still crouched beside Sylvie, Rowan scooped her into his arms and begun carrying her over to a spongy mat.  

“What do you think you are doing?” Ralph hissed, his twins glared, a look brimming with hate.

“Look Officer, I know she didn’t do it, you’ve got it wrong.”

"I do not know nor do I want to know your relationship with this child but her crime is punishable with death,” Logan said, though Rowan thought he detected some uncertainty.

“She’s a newborn, just born. She isn’t capable of killing a vampire,” Rowan argued, the blood in his veins was boiling. “It’s near impossible, from a medical perspective, she has basic instincts and a limited strength, and she hasn’t had enough blood or training to kill a man like my father. She’s too young for combat, she barely knows how to live as our kind let alone kill one of us."

“Well it will have to go to a trial,” Logan suggested, looking as if he was holding the world on his shoulders.

“No,” Ralph spat, stalking forward. “Give me that girl. She’s mine.”

“I think you need to calm down…”

“Do not touch me,” he hissed, reaching out to scratch the officer’s face. “I paid you, give me what is mine or else!”

The officer looked guilty and shook his head. “I take it back, have your money. I’m taking her to the jail.” He dug a wedge of notes from his pocket and tossed it onto the ground before Ralph.

The atmosphere suddenly changed and Rowan knew he had to get out of there, and fast. He still had Sylvie in his arms and he was disgusted that he had put her in such a state. He should be protecting her. Though he didn’t know how she had gotten involved in all this mess, he was still going to get her out of it. He turned his back on the pair who had begun fighting in unarmed combat.

Ralph had surprising strength and he catapulted Logan across the wide, wooden floored hall. He wasn’t down for long. He vaulted across the room landing a massive boot into the side of Ralph’s body. Ralph staggered and his eyes had the look of death. Rowan saw the hunter in him and he felt a pang of fear.

He started to sneak away when he noticed the twins smiling at him. He broke into a run, but the twins were fast and they whipped at his legs with the silver chains. The first hit ripped his clothes and he propelled himself forward, ducking under Logan as he flew through the air.

There were too many obstacles so when the second whip came down on his legs the silver burned at his skin. The pain was incredible but he bared his teeth and ran through an open door into a narrow corridor. There was a door at the end; if he could just reach it he could find safety.

Rowan hesitated as he heard a deep bellow and scream of pain from the hall and his luck ran out. He reached the door and tugged, it was locked fast and the twins were blocking the way he’d come in. They were beaming, the excitement and hunger rolled off them like the heat of a summer’s night.

The skin on his legs had started to heal and now he only had one option. He would have to fight. He shielded Sylvie in the corner against the door and prepared himself. Rowan knew this wouldn’t end well; he had always been an awful fighter. He remembered the knife in his pocket and went to pull it out but he was too slow. In the blink of an eye the twins had surrounded him and bound him with silver chains which ate at his skin. He struggled but the friction from the chains was excruciating.

Helplessly Rowan watched as the male twin dragged Sylvie by her ankles down the corridor and into the hall. His screams were stuck in his throat and his anger had died. This was it, he thought, there’s no escape. He obeyed his captor who pushed him towards the hall. The hall itself was in tatters. Material was strewn across the floor and blood decorated the bare stone walls.

On the floor laid in front of his laid a body dressed in a blue jumpsuit and across the room was its head. Officer Logan Ward had met his final death. Rowan felt the bile in his throat. Ralph stalked over to twins who had forced Rowan and tied Sylvie into chairs. He was cooing.

"You have such incredible gifts and you must use them to your full potential,” Ralph said, stoking their hair. Rowan must have looked confused because for his benefit Ralph added, “They have the gift of speed.”

The trio moved closer towards Rowan, and he tried to push himself backwards in his chair. The chair toppled over under his weight and the twins let out howls of amusement. The world looked sideways to Rowan. They moved in on him, armed with silver. The girl pressed a silver knife into his shoulder and Rowan screamed between gritted teeth. A loud noise sounded from the main door, and wood showered into the room as the pain took Rowan to a darker place. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 3.2K 21
You have a horrible past, both your mother and father are dead but who killed them?? Only a vampire of course! You are from a long line of vampire hu...
74.7K 3K 36
After two years Jade as changed but her heart still cares for Harry even if she says the next time she sees him she will make him feel her pain. She...
1.4K 66 22
I'm a Regulator-a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world. When a da...
71.8K 851 41
Meet Lucian. A kind-hearted boy but was abused by girls his age, and has a hard time dealing with it, meaning he is shy, and scared around them. Thro...