Canter Cove: Start Again

By proteus912

More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 17

34 2 0
By proteus912

Chapter 17

Scott thought that his trial period was going well. He had learnt a lot about looking after horses, and he even got to help with a new paddock. He helped build the fence, and it was good.

Scott wasn't the best at working with horses, but when it came to odd handy man jobs, he was good. He had been a mechanic for a long time, so he was good with tools and building a fence included tools.

Cody had also managed to get Ally, Ella and Kayla involved in building the fence for the paddock. He told Scott that they had been bored all day, so they had bugged him and bugged him, and building the fence would have kept them occupied.

As Scott worked on digging holes for the fence, he didn't know what someone had walked up to him, waiting for him. He had to turn around, and when he did, he smiled when he saw that it was Catania.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Well, I don't have my placement today, and I have caught up with my study, so I thought I would come and see how you are going," replied Catania.

"Well, did you want to help here?"

"Not really."

"Thought so."

"I was going to go and work with Kahli, anyway."

"Okay."

"But I can come down now and then."

"To do what?"

"I don't know; distract you."

"Then I wouldn't really get this job, will I?"

"Alright. I guess you wouldn't, so maybe I will leave you alone."

"You can always come and keep my company by helping."

"You know I am not this type of work, Scott."

"You can be such a girl sometimes, baby."

"Isn't that a good thing."

"It's entertaining."

"And that is good?"

"Yes."

"Anyway, I should go."

"See you later."

"Bye."

Catania then left and Scott got back to his work with a smile. His wife was very entertaining, and he loved her for it. But when she was being entertaining, she was distracting, so during those times, especially when he was trying to get a job with good pay, an entertaining wife was not what Scott wanted.

"Catania bothering you?" asked Cody as he worked next to Scott.

"Not bothering me. She's funny," replied Scott.

"I heard you call her entertaining."

"She is, isn't she?"

"Very."

Cody smiled.

"Cat keeps going on about the fact that we should renew our vows too, seeing as you and Jade are," said Scott.

"Why don't you?" replied Cody.

"We didn't really have the typical marriage, did we?"

"Doesn't mean you can't do it."

"I think we have enough on our plates, anyway."

"You and Catania will be able to handle it."

"Will we?"

"Yes."

"Kind of like you and Jade, right?"

"Well, we aren't going through the same things as each other, but, yeah, maybe."

Scott smiled once more and then he got back to work. He figured it would have been nice for him and Catania to do something like Cody and Jade, but they also had a lot to do. Catania would also be studying like crazy now that she was on her holidays and Scott would have been working like crazy, so he would have been able to get the job.

But, he still knew that the job wasn't for him and in bed the night before, he had come up with a plan.

He would finish his mechanic's course over the two years, and he would work as much as he could have at the ranch.

And when he finished his course, he would look for a mechanic's job and never have to work with horses again.

He really looked forward to that.

Even though Scott knew that he had to have his job at the ranch, it didn't mean that he wanted it. The pay would have been good, he gave it that, but the horses really gave him something to think about. Scott had never been into horses and he never wanted to be interested in them, even if Catania tried to make him want to ride and be around horses.

So, when Scott finished his course, he would do everything he could have to get another mechanic's job. He may not have been able to get a job in Sandy Beach, but there were a few other towns within driving distances that he could have looked at. He hoped that he wold have been accepted at one of them with huis degree and also his extensive experience in the industry. Catania said those tow things would have worked in his favourite and Scott hoped his wife was right.

"Are you and Catania happy?" asked Ella when she arrived at Scott's side.

"Why wouldn't we be?" replied Scott.

"I was just wondering."

"This isn't going to be like that question and answer session we have had before, is it?"

Scott had been interrogated by Ella once before, and her questions mainly revolved around how and why Scott married Catania. It was funny how she asked the questions, but the one about the baby, if Scott remembered right, got to him, and he had to put a stop to her. He hoped now wouldn't have been like that because as fun as it was, Scott needed to get his work done and not be distracted by the many questions of a teenage girl.

"Maybe," said Ella.

"Well, do I want to answer it?" asked Scott.

"Yes."

"Yes, we are happy."

"Then why are you working here?"

"I just lost my job."

"Why?"

"A merger of two mechanics, and some of us had to go; me included."

"It seems that everyone is losing their jobs around here."

"What do you mean?"

"Seth lost his job, and now you have. What do you call that?"

"Maybe it is the curse of the lost jobs or something."

"Do you think it means anything?"

"Ah, maybe. I don't get it."

"Well, bad luck or something. Seth was fried here, and you want to have a job, but what if you get fired too?"

"That is why I am trying to do a good job here."

"But you don't even like horses."

"I am trying to work on that."

"Are you that desperate for work that you would work with the one thing that you hate?"

"I think so. And it isn't that I hate horses; I just have never been interested in them."

"I could teach you."

"I think I have enough teachers for now."

"Are you being taught by Cody?"

"Yes."

"I think he is a good teacher."

"So do I."

"Well, I will get back to work before Cody tells me off."

"Yeah, you do that," said Scott with a smile.

Ella smiled and then she got back to work.

Scott then did his work as well, and pretty soon, it turned into lunch. And Scott could have done with some food, so he made his way to the arena to see if Catania wanted to join him. She was busy walking Kahli around in circles and it looked a little boring, but Kahli needed it to get better.

Scott made his way to the arena and tapped Catania on the shoulder.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," replied Catania as she gave Scott a kiss on the cheek, "I have been doing a lot of thinking. Walking in circles does that for me."

"What did you think about?"

"Competing gives money. A lot of the competitions that I know give money prizes for first, second and third. If I was to do well in a few competitions over my holidays, I could bring us home some money."

"Getting money from a competition means you actually have to pay to get in."

"I know, but I need this."

"You don't have that much time."

"I have until the end of August."

"What about your study?"

"I will get it done. You know my hours."

"You will train in the afternoon?"

"Yes."

"Then you will need a good horse," said Scott, "where would you get one from?"

"I was thinking that Aunty Isabella and Uncle Ryan would be able to help with that. Or Cody."

"Let's go and ask, then."

Catania walked Kahli back to her stall and then she and Scott made their way to the office to go and ask for a horse.

"Aunty Isabella," said Catania, "Uncle Ryan."

Isabella and Ryan looked up from their work.

"I have a question," said Catania.

"What is it, honey?" asked Isabella.

"I need a horse."

"A horse?"

"Yes. One fit for competing."

"Why?"

"I figured it would be a good idea to get back into competing, and I obviously can't use Kahli."

Isabella and Ryan looked at one another, deep in thought.

"I might have an idea," said Ryan.

"What?" asked Catania.

"You know Ada Mackenzie?"

Catania nodded.

"She has just quit riding lessons, and also sold her horse, Ginger, to us," said Ryan.

Catania's eyes lit up, "really?"

"Yes, and Ginger is a horse with a lot of potential."

Catania nodded.

"If you were interested in working with her," said Ryan, "I am happy to let you use her for competing."

"She's perfect, Uncle Ryan. I would love to work with her," replied Catania.

"Great. She's in the barn, if you'd like to work out your plan with her."

"I will. Thanks."

"And if you are that determined to get back into competing," said Ryan, "I am sure we can come to some sort of arrangement."

"Arrangement?" asked Catania.

"Isabella and I know your situation, so we will be prepared to pay for your entry fee?"

"Really?"

"Yes."

"I'll pay you back."

"Don't worry about that now."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Thank you, Uncle Ryan."

Ryan smiled.

Catania was so happy.

With that, Scott and Catania headed to the barn, and Scott could tell his wife was so excited.

"So, what's this horse like?" asked Scott.

"She's beautiful, but I think she's a little shy. Ada didn't spend much time with her besides riding her. And Cody always had to saddle her up and stuff," replied Catania.

"Do you think she will be suitable?"

"I think so. Once we get to know each other, I am sure we will make a great team."

"How many training sessions do you think you will need?" asked Scott when he and Catania arrived at Ginger's stall.

"I don't know yet," said Catania.

Despite that, Scott smiled.

Things were looking brighter.

"Right," said Catania, "this is what I am thinking."

"What?" asked Scott.

"I study from ten in the morning, to four in the afternoon, you know that. So that gives me time in the morning and afternoon to train. If I get to the ranch early, I would be able to have the arenas to myself and then I could come back home and study. Then in the afternoon, I wouldn't have so much privacy, but I need as much time with Ginger to begin with to get to know her."

"That sounds like a plan."

"You think?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Great."

Scott smiled again.

Finally.

He was happy again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 85.2K 62
โ€ข[COMPLETED]โ€ข Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
27.2K 1.3K 28
แด…ษชแด แด‡ส€ษขแด‡ษดแด›; แด›แด‡ษดแด…ษชษดษข แด›แด ส™แด‡ แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แดส€ แด…แด‡แด แด‡สŸแดแด˜ ษชษด แด…ษช๊œฐ๊œฐแด‡ส€แด‡ษดแด› แด…ษชส€แด‡แด„แด›ษชแดษด๊œฑ.
273K 6.7K 99
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
715K 22.8K 65
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her entire life. Only a shel...