Caught in the Middle

By 4Rival_Renee5

Seraphina Hollins, daughter of a prostitute drug addict and a father who walked out. Her life was easy before... More

--Ch. 1--
--Ch. 2--
--Ch.3--
--Ch. 4--
--Ch.5--
--Ch.7--
--Ch. 8--
--Ch.9--
--Ch. 10--

--Ch. 6--

910 7 3
By 4Rival_Renee5

“At least I saved you! Did you think of that, kid?”

I groaned. He’s a smart ass, too? Great. Freakin’ wonderful. Because this is what I need. An egotistical, arrogant ass. I wanted so bad to punch him for no apparent reason.

Journey’s gonna be worried sick If I just leave her at this party! “Wait! My friend is still in there!”

“Lie. Make something up. Haven’t you done that before?”

Scowling, I yanked my arms from him. He didn’t have to be an ass to me. Sure, he can be if he wants to, since I owe him for getting me out of there, but did he have to be one?

“Who are you?”

“A friend.”

“I’m being serious.”

“So am I.”

“Tell me who you are or I’ll waltz right back in that party, sir.” I turned to the house again, raising my eyebrows challengingly.

Mystery man raised an eyebrow back, daring me to. So I did.

Bolting towards the party as fast as I could, I started having second thoughts. This man, whoever he was, felt safe. Like the father I wanted again.

But before I could turn and tell him I lied or anything,  he was dragging me the same way, out towards the cars. Instead of fighting or flailing, I let him. I didn’t really want to go back in there, anyway.

“Don’t try it again, Seraphina.”

I totally love this about a guy. (Note the sarcasm, kids.) Dark, brooding, stalking, and just all in all creepy. He’ll barely even say more than two words to me.

But he’s hot. And, I hate to say it, but I actually do like him. I won’t say it out loud, but I do. He won’t know, but I will.  

“Please tell me who you are.” I pleaded as we wove between the many cars.

“Later, if I feel like it.”

Oh, great. Maybe I can annoy him until he tells me? That works with Journey…

“My name’s Seraphina.”

“I know.”

“What’s yours?”

“God, I already said I won’t tell you!”

“Why not?”

He didn’t answer, but instead threw me into the passenger seat and stared at me with his grey eyes. His black hair was slicked up and a single hair fell over his forehead. I was tempted to move it, but I fought the urge away.

“My name is unimportant to you, Hollins. If you listen to me, you’ll be making enough to fuel your mother’s addiction and to pay the bills by yourself. If you don’t, say goodbye to all your nice things.”

“I don’t have nice things.” I said icily. “My mom’s selfish, obviously you don’t know her. I have the bare minimum of what I need. If you want to protect me, you could at least know me.”

Before I turned away I saw his features change into surprise. I can be nasty sometimes, mystery dude. I just wish he would tell me something.

“And if you want to be nice, you can start by telling me your name.”

“If I tell you, will you never mention it to anyone, including your mother?” He said, sighing.

I faced him again and nodded.

“My name is Emmett. I’m protecting you as well as giving you employment, if you listen to me. Is that good, or do you want more?”

“How do you know me?”

Emmett sighed and shut the car door. He walked around the car, the beautiful Cadillac, and got in the driver’s seat next to me. As he ignited the engine I checked out his body, the huge, rough and tumble muscles all over.

How I get to know these kinds of men amaze me.

“So, Seraphina… what if I offered you a job?”

“Doing what?”

“That doesn’t matter. Do you want one?”

“What would I do?”

“That depends, so answer me.”

“Well… kinda… what do you do?”

“You don’t want to know.”

A quick smile flashed on his face as he looked at me, but when they returned to the road it disappeared.  Sighing, I turned to the road as well.

“Um, Emmett, I want to say thanks for… saving me.”

He chuckled. “You’re welcome, kid.”

“I’m not a kid!”

“Sure you’re not.”

I growled quietly. “Just drop me off at home, since you already know where that is.”

“Nope. I have another idea. Your mom isn’t home, anyway. She’s at the whorehouse.”

“That’s my mom you’re speaking of.”

“I’m sorry, I meant she’s out at Wal-Mart cleaning urinals. Do you want me to be honest with you?”

I shrugged. “You’re right. At least you’re not lying. But you’re still an ass.”

“Yeah, I hear that a lot.”

God, he was something else. He was what any girl could swoon over in a minute. Should I be liking him? Absolutely not. Should I take a job from him? Positive no.

But the ‘job’ he was offering could pay for everything… that’s hard to pass up with a life like mine.

Don’t do it. You know only bad can come out of this. Practicality scolded in my head.

But money can be good, we need it!

No, no, no. You need to stay in school and then find a job! Don’t look at her, look at you!

It was my nature to look out for others before myself. And my mom needed it!

After I finished arguing with myself, I realized we were out on the rich side of town. Emmet rounded the corner to a long neighborhood road lined with huge houses. I’ve never seen houses like this except in movies and magazines. They all had gates and fountains and beautiful driveways…

At the end sat the biggest of all, the biggest gate, house, fountain, everything. Emmet turned around the cul-de-sac it sat behind and pulled right in, opening the gate with something under the visor.

“You… you live here?”

“Yeah?” He asked in a ‘duh’ tone.

“H-how do you afford it?”

“I make a lot.”

“I KNEW you were a drug dealer! You are, aren’t you?”

“It’s not that, but something along those lines. Stop asking questions and we’ll get along great.”

“Don’t bet on that.”

I followed Emmett up the drive and to his French front doors, the almost Gothic look and beauty emulating it. I could get used to this house…

There were two stairwells sweeping upward and meeting, a balcony sitting at the top and hallways leading you down. In the middle of the stairs, where the marble flooring continued, sat two white double doors.

Curious, I walked to them and pushed them open. A bed, a dresser, a sliding glass door, a rug, a vast closet, and more white doors sat inside. The glass doors at the end I could see through to an in-ground pool.

Holy mother of the lord above us, what have I gotten myself into?

“You like my room, I’m guessing?” Emmett said, pushing past me to plop down on his blue and gold bedding.

“It’s pretty.”

“Why, thank you.”

After a moment of hesitation I was strutting towards the pool, a small smile dusting my face. I knew I looked so much like a child with a brand new toy.

When I opened the door I was struck by the crisp night air and a light, even coating of night rain. I couldn’t get in all the way, but I could make the best of it.

I plopped down and let the chlorine- treated water lap at my toes before submerging my ankles. In went my calves and even my pant legs.

Some new feeling crashed over me; a feeling like someone was there. I knew exactly who it was, but decided not to look. He’d say something soon.

“Is it cold?” He asked, deep voice falling more to my right side.

“No, it’s nice. Not too warm, not too cold. Get in.”

Emmett did as I said and was seated right next to me, dunking his legs into the pool quickly. He didn’t take the time to appreciate the feeling, much like I did. He’s a straightforward kind of guy.

I kicked my legs and chopped the clear, flat water. Emmett didn’t say a thing, he just sat near me with his eyes in the water. Thinking deeply, I assume.

“I could never do what my mom does.” I blurted, annoyed with the silence.

“Why not?”

“Sex is intimate and private, not something I care to share with everyone.”

“Well, I’ve never been with a woman more than once. Sharing is nice.”

“I… didn’t need to know that.”

Emmett chuckled. “You should take the job. I already have everything lined up.”

“I’ll think about it.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.5K 781 38
This is my first story sooo🤨 He was cold, ruthless, and killed. There was no doubt that people feared him, he was the mafia don for crying out loud...
4.5K 306 44
Chase and Audrey's lives are turned upside down by their parents' divorce. Chase turns to drugs, Audrey feels like there's no one to turn to, until a...
205 5 5
A teen girl falls in love with a drug dealer and he becomes possessive, controlling, abusive...she ends up running into a friend from school and they...
157K 6.7K 46
What happens when a well-known drug dealer, who's never been told 'No', moves into a quiet suburb outside of Chicago, Illinois? What happens when a 2...