The Girl in the Yellow Dress...

SnazzyReader

**Prequel to An Arranged Marriage to a Jerk** Connor Danielson may seem like the high school player, but unde... Еще

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 4

8.5K 107 14
SnazzyReader

Chapter 4: Costume Party

Ugh. I hate exams. 

They really, really suck. i don't think I've ever met a kid ever who doesn't completely despise exams. It's kind of like going to the dentist to get a filling. You really don't want to and it's really painful, but your parents make you.

After that party at the roller derby last week, my social life ended, as did almost the entire school's. The exams at our school were simple. You either passed, or you didn't. If you got anything over a C, then the computer registers it as a pass. No letter grades, no number grades, just Pass. And if you don't get above a C.... well then it sucks to be you. 

So, naturally, everyone studied crazy hard. They were pretty challenging, but they all involved basically the same thing. You were given a small blue book with blank, unlined pages. The teachers gave you a test and you wrote your essays in it. Except for math, all the exams were essays. Like I said, it really, really sucks.

Right now I'm in my literature exam. It's pretty tough, but then again so is Mrs. Stephens. She's the kind of lady that smacks your hand with a ruler if you're talking. I have the scars to prove it. During exams, we all sit in the same room, the lunch room. It's big enough to hold the whole school, so the whole school takes the same exam at the same time. Of course, for each grade and class it's a different test, but each of the teachers is there to help. And like I said, today is Literature.

#17. Describe Steinbeck's message about man's core personality in his novel, OF MICE AND MEN.

Hm... God I wish this exam were over. Come on, one more question. I can do  this. I know I can. I'd studied this last night. This is the last question, on the last exam. I just have to remember. 

Focus.

John Steinbeck portrays man as being inherently evil in his novel, "Of Mice and Men."  It can be shown in the character of...

Crap!!! What was that character's name... let's see. The good guy was Ralph. The bad guy was... JACK!

It can be shown in the character of Jack. Jack takes over the tribe because of his own evil ambitions. He kills mercilessly and sacrifices his fellow man to maintain his power and authority. Most of the other characters followed and looked up to Jack, playing into Stienbeck's view that all men are evil. As Steinbeck shows, all men-"

"That's it! Exam's over! Finish your sentences, dot your I's, cross your T's, and put your pencils down> Have a great summer, everyone!" Mrs. Stephens calls from the front of the room. I quickly scribble "all men are in it for themselves." and rush out the door. 

"Hey, Connor! What'd you think of the exam?" Jerry walks up behind me and pats me on the back. I give him a smile.

"Pretty easy, I thought. That last question almost had me, though. Number seventeen?"

Jerry's face blanches. "There was a number seventeen?! You've gotta be kidding me."

I laugh and slap him on the back. "You'll be fine, dude."

He shakes his head. "I don't know. I'm pretty sure I bombed it. But whatever, you know? It'll be fine. You got any plans tonight?"

"Yeah. Kim's costume party, aren't you going?"

Jerry nods. "Yeah, I guess. It's a stupid costume, party, right?"

"Yes. Could be kind of fun, though, right? What are you gonna wear?"

"Psh, I don't know! I'll wear my McDonald's shirt or something. Who even cares anyway? All anyone's gonna be looking at is the girls in those fine costumes. It's gonna be like Macy Courworth's Halloween party all over again."

"Yeah, except this time let's not get arrested, okay?" We laugh and I bump someone. "Sorry," I say automatically.

"It's cool," a familiar voice says. I turn around and see Lacey smiling at me> Before I can ask if she's going to the party, someone brushes past me again and she's swept away by the crowd. I watch her walk away, and Jerry says something else.

Then I hear it.

It's her, I would know it anywhere. It's her laugh. The girl in the yellow dress. The laugh I've heard every night in my dreams for months now. I whip my head around to find her, and I see her hair again, the soft curls blowing slightly in the summer breeze. She's not wearing a yellow dress today... she's wearing jeans and a tight purple shirt. My eyes widen and I chase after her.

"Hey!" I call out, pushing ahead of everyone.

"Where are you going, Connor?" Jerry calls after me, but it's too late; I"m already gone. 

"Come back!" I call out again, unable to think of anything else to call out to her. People grumble and yell as I push past them, but I don't care. This is my once chance to find her. I have to take it.

More people spill out into the already crowded hallway and i groan as I nearly lose sight of her. I catch her again standing in front of someone's locker. She's still turned away from me, but she's not moving anymore. I speed up and am nearly there when someone yanks me back. I turn, angry and frustrated. Lacey is looking at me, eyes blazing.

"Hey! Why didn't you call me yesterday? We haven't dont anything in, like, a week."

I glance behind me, and the girl is still there. "Sorry, I was studying."

She shrugs. "You couldn't spare five minutes for a phone call?"

I glance back again, and the girl is gone. What?! She was just there! How could I lose her! I turn back to Lacey and resist the urge to yell at her. "Sorry. Lit is my worst subject. You're going to the party tonight, right?"

She nods and I shove my anger down. Now's not the time. This is the social event of the year, maybe the summer, and he had an image to maintain... never mind how stupid that sounds. "Well, then," I continue, putting my arm around her shoulder and steering her down the hall, "why not just chill at my house and I can drive you there?"

She pretends to consider for a moment. "Okay. I have my costume in my bag... I'm going as a Playboy bunny." She giggles and slips her hand in the back pocket of my jeans. "What are you going as?"

I shrug nonchalantly. "Probably a biker or something, i'll just wear a leather jacket and some black jeans."

"Ooh, leather! And I can't wait to see you in those tight jeans..." she glances back and takes a long look at my butt. I pretend to be a model and strut down the hallway like a model. She laughs and throws her arms around my neck. She barely tilts her head up to kiss me on the check, lingering for a moment so that I smell her lavender perfume. "So, you wanna take me to your house? My costume is in my sister's car. I'll go get it and meet you at your car, okay?"

"'Kay." She walks away, shimmying past a few guys that ogle after her. 

I walk away and stand where she used to be, the girl in the yellow dress. Or, I guess, the girl in the purple shirt. But yellow dress sounds better. I breathe in and imagine that I can smell her perfume. But of course, when I open my eyes again, the smell is gone, replaced with dust and sweat. I slowly walk to my empty locker and pick up my lock to take to the office.

It's crowded, so I just drop it in the basket and wave to Paul who's standing waiting to take his inhaler home for the summer. I walk out the doors and feel the warm summer sunshine on my back. It almost brings a smile to my face. My car's parked right out front; I got here early today. Lacey is already there, leaning against the hood and talking to a friend. I unlock the car and she jumps from the sound, then jumps in the passenger seat.

I sit down next to her and drive off the school campus. "I love your car! What kind is it?"

"It's a porche. My parents got it for me for my seventeenth birthday."

She nods and turns up the radio. The drive home is fast, like always, and we're there before the song even ends. I pull into the driveway smoothly, leaving my car out front since I'm leaving again in an hour or so. Lacey runs inside and rushes into my room. I grab a Coke and walk in to see her sprawled out on my bed. "Your room is amazing."

I smile and look around. It's painted a soft blue with posters of movies and actors all around it. There's a white desk in the cornor with my laptop on top next to my bathroom (yep, I have a bathroom in my room. How sweet is that?!) I walk over and lay next to her on the bed.

"So," she says. "What should we do?"

I look around. "I don't care.  We have about an hour or so, and my parents are gone, so whatever. We can go-"

I cut off when Lacey's eyes widen. Before I can ask what's wrong, she smashes her mouth against mine. I close my eyes in surprise and automatically kiss her back, like I've done so many times. She rolls on top of me and straddles me while quickly pulling my shirt off at the same time. Her fingers trace my abs and I moan softly. She laughs and pushes me back against the bed. She pulls her shirt off and smiles down at me.

"Lacey," I protest. "We can't."

"Why not? Your parents are gone, and we have an hour. I can think of a lot of things we can do in an hour." She smiles deviously and begins kissing my neck, my cheeks, my forehead.

"We can't," I repeat, trying not to get destracted.

"Give me one good reason why."

I try to think, but my brain is clouded. She's right, I do want to, but not now. I can't explain it, it just doesn't feel right. And despite popular belief, I've never actually done it with anyone. I've gone pretty far, but not all the way. And I certainly wasn't going to do that with Lacey of all people.

I push her away. Lacey frowns and rolls onto her back. "What the hell!"

I toss Lacey her shirt and pull on my own.  "Let's just get ready and go to the party, okay?" She nods and walks to the bathroom to change and I sigh. Girls can be crazy.

**

The party is, once again, already crowded and loud by the time we arrive, me in my cool leather jacket and Lacey in her skimpy costume. I nod to a few people and make my way to the dance floor. Lacey pulls me in and we start dancing to the music. In a few minutes more people join us and we've got a good crowd surrounding us, almost as big as the party last week. I actually find myself smiling. Someone taps me on the shoulder during a fast song and I turn, expecting to see Jerry or Paul, but instead I see Kim.

"Hey, you," she says playfully. She's dressed as a cat. At least I think the tiny pieces of fabric on her are supposed to resemble a cat... there's not much there to help me out. 

"What's up?" I ask. I'm not in a bad mood right now, and I really doubt anything Kim says can change that.

"You should dance with Allison." Wow. Way to be blunt, Kim.

"Um, why?" 

She glances away. "Why not? I told you you guys were meant for each other."

"That's not the real reason," I say. 

She laughs lightly and I cringe. This can't be good. "Yeah, you're right. Your mom told me about the... arrangement you guys have. I just thought you might want a chance to get to know her before you make a decision, you know?"

I hesitate. She's right, but when has Kim ever been nice to me? But hey, what do I have to lose? "Be right back," i mutter to Lacey, but she's too drunk to notice.

I walk over to where Allison is dancing with her friends and tap her on the arm. She turns and loses her smile when she sees me. "Yeah?"

"Wanna dance?"

She glances behind me and I picture Kim silently mouthing to her. She rolls her eyes and turns back to me. "Sure. Why not?"

I lead her back to the more crowded part of the dance floor, but suddenly the music stops. It changes to a slow song. It's "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. I really like it, but right now? Super awkward. Allison glances away, then puts her shaking hands around my neck. I smile at her and slip my hands around her tiny waist. Hmm, they fit perfectly. Almost like they were meant to be there...

No! STOP! What are you doing?! I do not like Allison McHartey. I will never like Allison McHartey. I do not-

"So... how was your exam today?"

I broaden my grin and laugh, bringing myself back to earth. "Okay, I guess. I've never really been that into Lit before. How was yours?"

"Fine. I've always been good at it." She smiles a little, then drops her gaze again.

After another moment's silence, I see her glancing around. There are several people staring at us, some are even pointing. All have expressions of surprise and disbelief. But some are even laughing. I grit my teeth and turn my gaze back to Allison. Her cheeks are blushing and her eyes are glistening with tears. "Just ignore them," I say. She doesn't look at me. "They're stupid and drunk. They don't mean anything by it."

"Yeah, they do."

I shake my head and tighten my hands around her waist. She feels it and looks up, surprised. "Sorry," I say. "I just don't like seeing you sad. Makes me want to go punch somebody."

She actually smiles and the tears start to melt away. "I guess it is true, then."

"What?" 

She pauses and the song ends. We break away, and she nods to me. I nod back and she walks away. Over her shoulder, she calls out:

"I guess you're a girl's worst nightmare, huh?"

****

Hey!!! Thanks so much for reading this, guys, it means a lot!! Let me know what you think in the comments, if you liked it, didn't like it, or hated it. I want some feedback! I am super excited to say that this has 3,000 reads and is #82 on the what's hot list. YAY! you guys rock!!!

Comment question of the day: What do you think Allison meant by that?! Leave your response in the comments below and I might dedicate chapter 5 to you!!!!!

WRITE ON!

<3 SnazzyReader 

Продолжить чтение