His Duchess [Completed]

By shaerzam

Highest rank on romance hot list: #5. She is called The Ice Queen, due to her stoic non-readable features and... More

Prologue
Chapter 1-Rare Beauty [E] (Background info about the family)
Chapter 2-Shopping [E]
Chapter 3 The First Run-in [E]
Chapter 4-The Surprise Meeting [E]
Chapter 5-Silence [E]
Chapter 6- Curiousity [E]
Chapter 7- Closer Look [E]
Chapter 8- Meeting The Parents [E]
Chaper 9-His Desires [E]
Chapter 10- Feels So Right [E]
Chapter 11- Day dreamer [E]
Chapter 12-The King And His Queen [E]
Chapter-13 Miss Independant [E]
Chapter 14- His Kindred [E]
Chapter 15- Calm Before The Storm [E]
Chapter 16- ER [E]
Chapter 17- Hide than seek [E]
Chapter 18- Let It Go [E]
Chapter 19- Hope [E]
Chapter 20-First Kiss [E]
Chapter 21- First Date [E]
Chapter 22- Irresistible [E]
Chapter 23- Dream Catcher [E]
Chapter 24- Hard To Get [E]
Chapter 25-He's In Love [E]
Chapter 26- The Heart Wants What It Wants [E]
Chapter 27- Love [E]
Chapter 28- Surprise Part 1 [E]
Chapter 29-Surprise Part 2 [E]
Chapter 30- The Dress [E]
Chapter 31- Beginning Of A End [E]
Chapter 32-Amnesia [E]
Chapter 33- The Wedding Part 1 [E]
Chapter 34- The Wedding Part 2 [E]
Chapter 35- The Wedding Part 3 [E]
Chapter 36- Misery Loves Company [E]
Chapter 37-Worth It [E]
Chapter 38- Epiphany [E]
Chapter 39- Auction Date [E]
Chapter 40- Mystery Solved [E]
Chapter 41- Second Chances [E]
Chapter 42- Revenge [E]
Chapter 43-Ashes [E]
Chapter 45- Wedding Plans [E]
Chapter 46- A Winter Wonderland [E]
Chapter 47-Pure Bliss [E]
Epilogue [E]
His Camelia-Now COMPLETED...

Chapter 44-Sealing My Fate [E]

87.8K 3.5K 172
By shaerzam

Julien walked in without knocking, his dark penetrating eyes scanning the inside of her room seeking and searching.  

But she was nowhere in sight.

The gold and beige tones accented richness and elegance of her bedroom. A large queen sized bed stands against the wall in a beautifully designed comforter with plush accented pillows. The dresser was made of blonde articulately designed wood with a beige marble slab top.

A large chaise lounge sat in the corner with a matching love seat.   A glass coffee table in front of the furniture held a stack of books and a small vase of dried up flowers. Tucked away in the other corner of her large room held a small desk with a flat screen computer and chair.

Julien closed the door gently and walked further into her room. It was made to fit a princess. Soaking the rich, feminine soft smell of the jasmine perfume she preferred, Julien inhaled deeply while approaching the large window behind the lounge chair. Pulling the gold colored silky drapes to the side Julien peered out.

Although the view was somewhat distant, he could easily make out the private driveway leading up to his home. Julien could imagine Annie watching from afar, behind the safe confines of her room. It brought a small smile to his lips, he wouldn't put if past her, she certainly was the curious type.

Pulling the drapes back, Julien turned to the sounds of a door closing.   Annie was striding from what seemed was her closet with downcast eyes, shadowed by her long lashes. Julien froze, trailing his gaze up and down her body as she inched closer and closer to his position. There was a registered sadness in her demeanor—it was lifeless and devoid of spirit.  It killed him to see her this way. His fists clenched to his sides in despair stopping the desperate urge to touch her.

She was the best thing that had ever happened to him an he'll be damned if he loses her again, continuing to watch her stride purposefully toward the lounge chair.

Not seeming to have felt his presence yet, Annie ploppled down, laid back her head and crossed her legs.  Closing her eyes she let out a soft exhale and wrapped her slender arms around her middle, seeming to be in the need of some comfort. 

Julien waitied patiently for her to feel him.  And not a moment later, she stiffened and sat up straighter.

The tingling on the surface of her skin indicated the weight of someones stare.

She was being watched.

Annie frowned, searching her left then her right. Slipping her legs to the side, she shifted her weight, stopped, and turned to the movement behind her.

There stood the man of her shattered dreams.

The man she lost due to her insecurities. 

Julien stood silently accessing her reaction. He stood tall and self-assured. A serious expression set on his sharp features. They make eye contact briefly until Annie looks away and down at her hands.

"What are you doing here Julien?" She asked him hoarsely. 

"I am a man of my word."  Julien started, his hands clasped behind his back. Although he kept a calm exterior, the lack of control was boiling just below the surface at the way she recoiled from him.

Annie bit her lip nervously, watching him tentatively as he paced slowly. It was obvious he had gone back home because he changed his previous attire for a fresh polo shirt and navy slacks.

He was so handsome, Annie couldn't help but ogle him.  The muscles in his arms stretched against his skin.  His abdominal muscles were outlined against the cotton fabric encompassing him.  He was a man in every sense of the word.

He was everything to her, and she turned her back when he needed her the most. If what Cici said was true, she was the one that might have just destroyed her own happiness.  Too much damaged may have occurred to ever go back. Maybe he wouldn't want her anymore.

Could Caitlin be the ultimate end to their love story?

"Never once have I lied to you, except for one time..."  He continued and stopped pacing, fixating his stormy charcoal grey eyes on her. 

Annie's breath caught in her throat.  The flutter of her heart raced against her rib cage at his impending confession.  He was about to confess Annie's worst fears, he slept with her.  The foolish happy ending, the fantasy she conjured up in her mind instantly vanquished.

"Do you remember the night of your birthday party, when I entered the psychics tent?"  Annie opened her eyes and frowned in confusion but nodded.  Julien crossed the few feet separating them and stood tall before her.  "You asked me what she told me and I said nothing I didn't know already.  Well... I lied to you.  That wretched woman warned me that evening.  She warned that I was going to lose you and I was going to be the reason—while breaking your heart."

Annie's lips parted in surprise and fear, feeling the hair on the nape of her neck stand on end.  Watching him with calculating eyes, she could see the burden of the information weighing heavily in his posture.  She could not speak, not knowing what to say. 

Julien raked his hands through his black hair releasing a deep exhale.  Her face was deathly white.  It took every ounce of strength not to touch her, fearing she would repel his advances. 

"As you and I know, she was right.  I lost my memories of you, forcing you to stay away.  Then came Caitlin."  Annie flinched like he burned her.  "The gypsy was right on more than one account, I did break your heart countless times, and I still am..." 

"Please, don't say more..."  Annie pleaded holding up one hand to keep him from continuing feeling the guilt eating away at her. 

Julien surprised her and caught her by the fingers, than roughly pulling her up into a standing position against his taut body.  He held her with a tight grip by her waist not leaving a inch of space separating them. 

Annie's breath hitched at the sudden, unexpected contact.  Lifting her head, her gaze clashed with his bright grey ones.  She swallowed heavily, while never breaking eye contact  as Julien continued. 

"I swear on my life, I never touched her intimately, I never had feelings for her.   Even when I was with her, it felt wrong.  I regret everything and wish I can erase all the pain I inflicted upon you."  Julien said whispering the last part close to her parted lips.  The strong intensity of his eyes held conviction and a great need to be believed.   "Do not let something that did not exist destroy what we have.  You are beautiful, defiant, strong and much more than I can put into words.    When I see your face it's as if the world opens up. You are my gift in this life..my happiness lies in your hands.  I cannot lose you again...You must believe me."

Annie felt faint and overwhelmed, his words seeped deep into her essence.   Hearing Julien nearly beg her to believe him tore her to pieces.  She had pushed him away because of the doubt and negativity swirling around in her head making her believe the worst.  She blamed him for something that wasn't true.  

People were always quick to judge her and Annie realized she was doing the same exact thing to herself and to Julien as well.

The months of hurting left her to believe anything.  Until recently, she did not deserve happiness, having it lost it when she lost him.  What she told Cici earlier was right, she did not have the fight left in her anymore. She could not fight the love she knew she will always have for him in her heart.

No matter how much she fought this battle, Julien ultimately won the war— by never giving up.  He was her match in every way and so much more.  Stronger, far more superior and grand, he could take on the world and would end up standing tall in all his power and glory. This powerful man before her never gave up.  He was too honorable, too selfless. He always put her first before himself.

Nothing kept him down. Nothing stopped him. 

Remember, The eyes never lie, she reminded herself. 

It was not knowledge but a sense—a tugging feeling deep within Annie that knew Julien was telling the truth. The misplaced trust shattered into oblivion as she felt herself be brought back to life.  The safe cocoon she wrapped around her damaged soul melted. It was like their two souls were ripped apart finally joined back together.   

He was the heat that melted all the ice. 

Once and for all. 

Where her hands were hanging loosely to her sides, she pulled them up to his shoulders feeling the tension after hearing his heart wrenching plea.  "I–I...believe you."  Annie whispered brokenly tilting her head up closer to his face. 

Julien closed his eyes in relief, wrapping his hand behind her head and lowered his face to the crook of her neck inhaling her sweet scent.  He kissed her neck lovingly and squeezed her tighter against his chest.  Annie clung to him as if her life depended on it wrapping her arms tightly around his neck.  They stayed embraced—suspended in time for several minutes not saying anything.  They communicated their need and love for one another in silence. Holding onto each other was enough.

Never let me go again, Annie prayed silently inhaling the aftershave along his neck. She stroked the long hair against the nape of his neck and closed her eyes in peace.

Eventually Julien loosened his grip to Annie's dismay, and slowly bent on one knee while never letting go of her hands, needing to keep skin contact.

"I have planned this moment since our first rendezvous months ago. And up until earlier I planned for this to happen in front of our families. I asked for your parent's blessing yesterday before our date. I informed them of my intentions before you found out my identity last night.  They are downstairs, by the way, waiting for us..but I refuse to wait any longer."

Annie watched in confusion but soon realized with wide unblinking eyes at Julien's intentions and her heart started racing. 

Cici was right, he was planning to propose.

"From the first time I laid eyes on you I knew you were different, special—My beacon of light in the darkness.  Never in my wildest dreams have I ever imagined finding you and when I did the connection between us was there from the start. You are my other half—my soul mate.  My world without you has no definition."

"I cannot live another day on this earth without knowing if you'll be mine permanently."  Annie held her breath trying to hold back the tears. "I have never desired anything in this world like I do you. I will never desire anything in this life but you by my side, now and forever.   You.  Complete.  Me."  Julien declared while reaching into his pocket and retrieving a large pink diamond ring. "Duchess...will you do me the honor of sealing my fate once and for all and becoming my wife?"

Julien was watching her intently, his gaze piercing her with their intensity and love.  The ring he retrieved was hovering above her ring finger as he waited for her answer.  The large pink diamond matched the set he gave her for her birthday and was of the most precious and exquisite pieces she had ever seen.  She could not imagine a more beautifully, articulate design.  

A tear drop fell and landed between their clasped hands as Annie realized they were hers.  She could not stop them as they blurred her vision, clouding the scene before her.  The intensity of her emotions were heightened due to the delicate moment and the previous months coming forward all at once. 

Annie turned her face to the side trying to hide her tear streaked face but it was too late, the tears kept cascading down her cheeks, to her jaw and dropping down relentlessly.  She thought this day would never come. 

It was all she had ever wanted, needed—a future, him.

"Duchess what is it? Why are you crying?" Julien made sure to securely slide the ring along his pinkie finger before grasping her waist firmly and keeping her in place before she could turn away from his prying stare.

She was choked up, at the hope and concern emitting from his eyes. Annie did not mean to make the moment seem so difficult. It should be the happiest time of her life.

"You broke me, you changed me, y-you taught me how to love.  I thought I was strong but you were stronger, powerful, and most importantly someone who could handle me. I know I'm difficult and stubborn. But you never gave up. Without you my life means nothing. Good things come to those who wait and I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have you." Annie wiped her tear streaked face and looked down lovingly at Julien's concerned face. "Yes," She said and bent down at the knees and cupped his face in her hands, "I will marry you."

Julien crushed his lips to hers in a earth shattering kiss filled with longing. They poured all there feeling for one another in the kiss that lasted minutes. Julien roamed his hands all over her body and under her shirt needing to feel her skin against his calloused hands.

A knock on the door interrupted them as they broke apart quickly and stood.  "Come in!"  Annie called out brushing the left over tears from her face and adjusting her shirt and cardigan in place. Her mother and Kate entered with wide smiles adorning their faces.  Julien stood behind her, his hands circling her waist and holding her against his body. 

"I take it everything has been cleared up?"  Charlotte asked eyeing them closely.  Kate came in standing next to Charlotte, a expectant look on her face. 

"Yes it has been.  I could not wait any longer and asked her to marry me as well."  Julien answered for the both of them.  The smile was evident in his tone.  Annie tried to suppress her smile but failed as she shyly looked between the both of them.  Both Kate and Charlotte squealed in delight and hugged one another in excitment. 

"And what did she say?"  Kate asked with a wide smile.  The tone of her voice already showed she knew the answer but felt the need to ask glancing at Annie's fingers searching for the diamond.  But she frowned when she could not spot the engagement ring.

"I said yes."  Annie declared, feeling Julien squeeze her tighter against him.  Charlotte clapped happily and strode forward with arms wide open toward her daughter. 

"Well then, where is the ring?"  Kate asked watching Charlotte engulf Annie in a congratulatory hug.  Julien released his hold allowing her some space.  He held up his hand showing his mother the ring on his pinkie finger. 

"I was just about to put it on her finger when you walked in mother."  Julien said while winking at Annie watching her once pale cheeks flush pink. 

"How wonderful!"  Charlotte gushed and stepped away, wiping a tear from her cheek.  "Sorry we interrupted.  We were too curious to wait downstairs."

"I do have certain conditions." Julien announced in all seriousness. The ladies turned their attention towards him. "The wedding will happen sooner rather than later. In less than a month to be precise." The shock registering on their mother's faces was priceless. Annie continued to listen patiently with unblinking eyes. "You ladies will have a lot of planning and I am sure you will execute all that's needed by then."

"What...! But that's too short of a notice!" Kate exclaimed.

"We have so much to do!" Charlotte said at the same time. "The dress alone will take month—"

"The dress has already been taken care of." Julien spoke loud and clear above their voices.

Annie's eyes widened.

"Do you remember the day we visited that small boutique?" Julien directed toward Annie. She nodded numbly. "I purchased the dress you saw in the window. I knew you liked it when I watched you stealing glances at it. It is securely tucked away at the boutique waiting for you..."

Annie's mouth parted in surprise. She could not believe it, blinking her eyes up at him. He bought the wedding dress she fell in love with that day. All without her knowledge—He planned everything. 

"That is so romantic." Kate murmured with a sigh clutching Charlottes arm. "We will leave you two to talk things over and inform your father's of the great news." Charlotte and Kate left silently and closed the door behind them.

"I was supposed to propose sooner but the accident postponed my plans..." He trailed off approaching her unmoving figure and slipping the ring off his finger. "I believe this belongs to you..." He said holding out his hand, waiting for her as she gave him her left hand. Julien slid the large pink diamond on her ring finger.

It fit perfectly.

Julien kissed the back of her hand and held her close to him as she lay her head on his chest. "This doesn't feel real." Annie said in a dazed voice feeling the foreign weight of the beautiful diamond settle on her finger. 

"This is all very real, love. Believe it. Grasp it. Savor it. Finally what I imagined months ago will finally come true."

"And what's that?" Annie asked against his chest, pushing herself closer against him and wrapping her arms around his waist.

Julien kissed the top of his head. "You becoming my wife, of course. Mrs. Julien St. James."
******
The foyer was flooded with fuchsia colored roses.  Hundreds upon hundreds were placed on the floor and along tables, as Julien led her hand in hand into her fathers study.  "Your favorites."  He pointed out. 

Annie smiled at him gratefully.

"It's too much..."  She murmured.

"Nothing is ever too much for you my love." 

Their parents were sitting and chatting quietly amongst one another.  Cici, Anthony, Sonny, Sheila, Phaedra, and Duncan were amongst the crowd that gathered in the study.  They all stood upon hearing them enter.  Loud cheers and and congratulations where delivered, hugs and kisses exchanged. 

"So what is we hear the wedding is in less than a month?"  Patrick quirked an eyebrow at the both of them.  Since they entered Julien never let her go.  His arm securely wrapped around her waist. 

"I don't want to wait any longer."  Julien spoke for the both of them.  His voice held no room for argument as he stared confidently at her father.  Annie gulped nervously looking straight ahead.  She had a feeling her father would question the suddenness of the date. 

"I see."  Patrick said thoughtfully stroking his chin.  "This is all so sudden.  These things take time...."  He trailed.

"I've waited for her all my life.  After what she and I have been through, waiting any longer would seem meaningless." 

"Patrick, just stop.  They're happy and finally together!  I agree with Julien the sooner the better.  Why wait?"  Charlotte intervened to their defense. 

"But I can't lose her too..."  Patrick defended.  "Cici and Anthony have already set a date as well.  My children are leaving me too soon." 

Annie's heart broke.  Her father looked miserable.

"Daddy, I'm not going anywhere.  I will always be around you.  Remember the day we spoke?" Her father nodded silently. "You need to let us go to live our own lives...?" Annie reminded him looking into his eyes expectantly with hope. Patrick closed his eyes in defeat.

"I know. If this is what you want, so be it." He said with acceptance. Annie hugged her father and kissed his cheek.

"Yes it it. Thank you Dad." Annie whispered and pulled back while in his arms and smiled up at him. Although Patrick smiled back, it held sadness. 

"Where will you live?  Where will the wedding take place?  These things need to be taken into consideration, time is of the essence."  Patrick inquired releasing his daughter back into Julien's arms. 

"A home a few houses down the street just came on the market.  I hired a agent to collect information about the availability."  Julien spoke up looking from Patrick to Annie.  "If you like it, I will make a offer and it may be our future residence.  Any changes needed, can be arranged to be remodeled and completed by the time we are married.  I assumed you would like to be close to our families...."  He explained.

Annie nodded, slowly processing all the information.  Julien was truly a very considerate man,  already knowing her wants and needs without having to speak.  "I would love that."  She spoke softly.  Everything was happening so fast it was hard to believe it was all real.

"We can have the wedding here on the estate.  There is more than enough room.  A beautifully designed tent can be set up to accommodate the guests.  That would take care of the location..."  Charlotte offered lightly.

"I would like that.  There is no time to look anywhere else.  And an intimate wedding sounds wonderful."  Annie answered with a smile as Julien hugged her to his side harder, kissing her forehead. 

"You need to pick a theme, colors and the like Annie...That way we know what's needed to start setting up."  Cici chirped in. 

Annie furrowed her eyebrows deep in thought. It should be unique, different.  Something that nobody would ever forget.  It came to her not a moment later.  

Ice.

She was known as the ice queen after all, how ironic it would all seem and yet so beautiful, so magical. Imagining a frozen and crystal clear suspended beginning.  "A winter ice wonderland."  Replying confidently with a small chuckle. The moment it slipped passed her lips Annie immediately loved the theme of her wedding.

Cici bawled out laughing but quickly covered her mouth with her hand.  Patrick rose a eyebrow at her, while a small smile lit her mother's face.  Kate and Victor who had been silent the whole time smiled with a twinkle of understanding in their eyes.  Annie glanced at Julien's surprised expression. 

"I thought I melted all the ice, love.."  He whispered close to her ear causing her to suppress a shudder of delight. 

"It fits the description."  Sonny muttered quietly and as soon as it came out Sheila elbowed him in the ribs with a disapproving frown. 

A throat cleared behind them.  Brett stood in the entry of the doorway, his hands in his pockets and strode in smoothly with a small quirk of his eyebrow.  "Contrary to popular belief, she is the opposite of cold hearted."  He said with a grin and walked up to Annie and Julien.  She smiled in warmth at her loving Uncle.  "Congratulations baby doll."  Stroking her cheeks with his thumbs and giving her forehead a kiss. 

"Thank you Uncle Brett."  Standing on her tip toes, she kissed his cheek.  "Thank you for everything." 

He took care of her when she was at her lowest.  He kept her company when she was lonely.  He kept her moving.  Her appreciation for him ran deep, deeper than words could express.  He nodded with understanding and turned his blue eyes to Julien.

Brett shook Julien's hand firmly. "Hurt her again and you'll regret it." 

"Never again."  Julien replied as his a small lift of his lips. 

"Well I don't know about the all of you but,  what the Ice Queen wants...The Ice Queen shall receive..."  Cici declared, playfully bowing as a royal subject would out of respect in the presence of a Queen.

The small group laughed in merriment. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what you all have been waiting for.  Finally **long sigh**.  I tried as much as I could to differentiate from the obvious original romance story.   I know many of you were not happy about the obstacles these characters had to go through but It was supposed to feel real.  You were supposed to envision what Annie saw and felt through her eyes.  You were supposed to feel the pain and anguish.

You've all probably heard the phrase, easy come, easy go.  Life in general is never easy—it's either a lesson or a blessing. 

It was very difficult to write, and I know it was difficult to read.  I hope you all understand. 
******
Just out of curiosity...Who is your favorite character(s)?  Aside from the obvious (Annie & Julien). Mine are Cici and Brett.  :)

Thank you all for reading and a bigger thank you to my devoted voters!   You're the best!

-Shaz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 177 47
COMPLETE BUT FINESSING Ari Nichols's life in Alaris is far different from how she grew up. Accountant by day & homebody by night, Ari is happy with...
571 48 16
Tati is all grown up and her own woman. Tabloids refer to her as the ice princess because they think she is cold hearted and because a man she loved...
Silence By

Romance

5.2K 366 22
Is it normal to be a partner of rich man.. ofcourse every girl will have own way about her marriage, some might be decided by parents, some by love...
1.5M 69.8K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...