Primrose is the Color of Fore...

By Only_Tayyy

April Lockett is orphaned right before her courting season. Bereaved, she declines the extended hospitality o... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
A/N
Steady
Journal
Secret Worry
Stay Awake
Poem
Roselyn
Feeling

Chapter 2

1.5K 64 12
By Only_Tayyy

Heyy, so I went over this chapter and refurbished it a little. I added a description of April's appearance (upon Rose_Aflame 's request 😊) and I added some pictures. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy❤️

~

It was April's first courting season and a ball was tonight. She had no idea what to wear-or what to do for that matter. She had always imagined going to parties with her father and laughing as he scared all the young men away. It hurt her that her dream could never come true.

She would worry about parties and clothes later; she had work to do. She was a maid now and grateful for it. The scrubbing kept her mind off everything painful.

She kept to herself, avoiding all members of the Hugh family as well as the other maids. Or at least she tried to.

Because of human nature, some people had tried to "reach out" and comfort her. She would accept their hugs and words of sympathy and nod at whatever they said until they left; not forgetting to give them a polite fake smile.

When she was finally alone, she would clean until her hands ached enough to ignore the pain in her heart and the hurt that came along with her loneliness.

While all of the other maids were cleaning the kitchen, April went to the library. She was dusting off the shelves when she heard voices: whispers and giggles.

Her heart skipped a beat as the voices came closer; she was not in the mood for human interaction.

"Adam, not in here, one of the maids could see us. Your mother could see us!"

"Dynasty, remember the last time we were in a library together?" His voice was low and seductive

April quietly searched for an escape route.

"Adam Hugh Jr. don't you dare-" She cut herself off with a squeal. "Adam, put me down," She said after a fit of giggles.

"Okay," He whispered.

And then silence. April wondered where the voices could've gone. She peeked through the bookshelves to see. She had to cover her mouth to catch her gasp. There was a woman straddling a man who was seated beneath her and gripping her thighs.

Quickly averting her eyes, April blushed furiously.

The silence was then filled with several moans and whimpers coming from both voices. April all but sprinted out of the room.

When she was far enough away from the library, she stopped and caught her breath, bending over and bracing her hands on her knees.

She straightened up just as she heard voices in the living room. God, more people, she thought anxiously.

"Did you put Trinity down for her nap?" A female's voice asked.

"Yes, she's sleeping now. That leaves you and me," A male voice answered.

"Is that so?"

"Mhmm."

Then there was silence. April felt like she knew what was coming next, she rushed down the hall until she reached the kitchen.

Everywhere I go in this house, someone is making love, she thought which made her feel even lonelier.

Seeing Liz in the kitchen she went up to her.

"Excuse me, Liz?"

"Yes, dearie?"

"I haven't been feeling too well lately," she was not being completely dishonest. "Could I take a break and go lay down?"

"Oh of course dear," she said. "You shouldn't be working in the first place."

Liz talked the entire way to April's quarters. April just smiled and nodded like she was accustomed to doing.

Once inside her room, April laid down and went to sleep.

~

She was awakened a few hours later by several knocks on her door.

"Come in," she mumbled groggily.

It was Mrs. Hugh.

April sat up, "Hi," she said.

"Hello," Mrs. Hugh answered coming to sit on April's bed with her. "Sorry for ruining such a good nap," she said.

"Oh, its no problem," April answered, "did you need anything?" She asked.

"Yes," Mrs. Hugh said, "Actually, I was wondering if you were going to the local ball tonight?" Mrs. Hugh said, looking straight into her eyes.

"Well, I planned on it," April said.

"Mothers usually accompany their daughters to these events during their first courting season, you know."

April nodded her head.

"I was wondering if you would allow me the honor of accompanying you to the ball tonight. I could never replace your dear mother of course," she held April's hand, "but I don't want you to have to experience this alone. May I accompany you?" She asked.

April felt her eyes tear up. She had never met her mother and never knew what it was like to have a woman take care of her. This kindness that Mrs. Hugh showed made her feel cared for, even loved.

"Th-thank you," was all she could say. She felt her hands start to tremble.

"Well, let's get you ready then." Mrs. Hugh said.

~

April stared at herself in the mirror and honestly could not recognize herself. She was speechless.

"Well, what do you think?" Mrs. Hugh asked.

Mrs. Hugh, Jewel, Dynasty, and Harmony had helped to dress April. They had picked out her clothes and shoes and had done her makeup and hair.

They all looked at her expectantly.

She was dressed in an elegantly simple green and white ball gown that graced her beautifully. Her hair was in a simple bun and her make-up was natural yet refreshing.

"I...I look beautiful." She said for the first time in her life.

"Of course you do, you are beautiful," Dynasty said.

"Now let's get you to the ball," Mrs. Hugh exclaimed.

~

April walked into the great hall arm in arm with Mrs. Hugh. She was so grateful that she had come with Mrs. Hugh because if she had been on her own, she would have fainted.

There were so many people.

She froze at the entrance as she had a small panic attack.

Mrs. Hugh sensed this and whispered softly to her, "its alright dear, the first time is always overwhelming. Don't be afraid, I'll be right with you." She squeezed her arm and they continued forward.

April felt dizzy as she watched all of the suitors skillfully circulate the room.

Yet she had comfort in knowing that she would be content with whoever was willing to marry her. It would give her an opportunity to get out of Mr. Hugh's hair.

The entire evening she was glued to Mrs. Hugh's arm unless a suitor walked by. When that happened, Mrs. Hugh would give her a slight nudge and let her go so she could talk to the gentleman.

Unfortunately April's conversations were not going well, she kept stuttering and could never find a way to continue the conversation.

When she had just about given up, she realized that she had the attention of a gentleman from across the room. He wasn't attractive at all and his face seemed to be in a permanent scowl. But he was coming over, so that was something.

He stopped abruptly in front of her and tilted his head up, flaring his nostrils and looking down at her. He was a young white man and had a slightly noticeable belly. April noticed that he was dressed well so she assumed that he came from money.

He roughly and mechanically grabbed her hand and gave it a quick kiss.

"Oh," she said involuntarily when she realized that he had left some slobber on it.

She discreetly wiped her hand on the back of her dress and curtsied politely.

"My name is Isaiah Whitfield, son of Chancellor Morris Whitfield, what is yours?" He asked harshly.

"My name is April Lockett, daughter of the late Professor Daniel Lockett." She said.

"Is she your mother?" He nodded to Mrs. Hugh.

She shook her head no.

"So you are an orphan?" He said shocked.

"Well, yes-" She began but he cut her off.

"What of your dowry?" He asked.

"I have none," she said.

"Hmm," he pondered before speaking again. "Is this your first courting season?"

She nodded her head.

"So you are young, so am I," he said.

"How old are-" She attempted to make conversation.

"Where are you living?" He rudely interrupted.

"I live as a maid in the Hugh manor," she said, feeling slightly ashamed.

"A maid, are you?" He continued to look down on her.

She nodded her head.

"That will never do," he said and abruptly added, "I will be calling on you tomorrow, Miss Lockett."

"Oh, Alright," she said taken aback. He hadn't asked her; he had stated it matter-of-factly. This was April's first time but she was pretty sure courting did not work like this.

"Good day, Miss," He bowed to April. "Madame," he bowed to Mrs. Hugh.

When he was out of hearing distance, Mrs. Hugh spoke up, "I absolutely despise how rude he was. Are you alright, April?" She asked.

April nodded, "Oh, I'm fine."

She locked arms with Mrs. Hugh and they headed to the door.

"That boy needs a swift kick in the-" April cut her off.

"Mrs. Hugh, please, I'm fine." She said.

"Are you really going to let him call on you? He wasn't that attractive...or attractive at all," she added in a whisper.

April giggled and said, "A suitor is a suitor, I am grateful for it."

"Alright dear, if you say so." Mrs. Hugh said with a sigh.

And with that, they walked out of the ball.

~

Tada, Chapter 2! I hope you are enjoying this, I'm enjoying being able to write it.

~Dallas Rey

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 291 4
To alleviate their boredom with the easy life, the wealthy Wilde brothers propose specific challenges to each other every year on their birthday. The...
339 11 9
Hayley was nerdy and shy, she knew that. But when she is mistaken for someone she resembles greatly by the one who held her heart for years. She come...
665 33 33
For Amara Hampton, everything was falling into place: she was on her way to law school with a boyfriend that her parents deemed to be perfect for her...
20.7K 711 28
Rebecca Valentine, a problematic high school senior, is an oppressed bully falling behind in her studies. Avoiding being kicked out of the house, she...