The Rivalry

By thunder1417

Lynnae Ahmisto is princess and heir to the Aeryan Kingdom, though she isn't exactly thrilled about the respon... More

The Rivalry
The Rivalry Chapter 2
The Rivalry Chapter 3
The Rivalry Chapter 4
The Rivalry Chapter 5
The Rivalry Chapter 6
The Rivalry Chapter 7
The Rivalry Chapter 8
The Rivalry Chapter 9
The Rivalry Chapter 10
The Rivalry Chapter 11
The Rivalry Chapter 12
The Rivalry Chapter 13
The Rivalry Chapter 14
The Rivalry Chapter 15
The Rivalry Chapter 16
The Rivalry Chapter 17
The Rivalry Chapter 18
The Rivalry Chapter 19
The Rivalry Chapter 20
The Rivalry Chapter 21
The Rivalry Chapter 22
The Rivalry Chapter 23
The Rivalry Chapter 24
The Rivalry Chapter 25
The Rivalry Chapter 26
The Rivalry Chapter 27
The Rivalry Chapter 28
The Rivalry Chapter 29
The Rivalry Chapter 30
The Rivalry Chapter 31
The Rivalry Chapter 32
The Rivalry Chapter 33
The Rivalry Chapter 34
The Rivalry Chapter 35
The Rivalry Chapter 36
The Rivalry Chapter 37
The Rivalry Chapter 38
The Rivalry Chapter 39
The Rivalry Chapter 40
The Rivalry Chapter 41

The Rivalry: Epilogue

45.8K 1.5K 282
By thunder1417

I counted the number of wood planks in the floor for the ninth time as I paced back and forth. How long had it been?

"Grant, you are going to tire yourself out man," Roren said from the loveseat next to the fire. He had been sitting with me through this entire time.

"Nonsense. I cannot sit down! I don't know what is going on in there!" I said as I pointed to the door that lead to the hallway. Across the hallway was the door that lead to where my wife was.

"You did it to her, mate," he said as he chuckled. I shot him a glare as I ran my fingers through my hair.

What if everything wasn't going as it should? Did it always take this long? The midwife and Lynnae's mother, along with Vivian were the only ones in the room. The men weren't allowed to be in the room for the birthing process. I was half grateful for that. Grateful because I did not want to see my wife's face twist in pain from the contractions but on the other side, I wanted to be able to try and comfort her. But to be honest, I was terrified. What if the child wasn't alright? What if something happened to Lynnae?

It had all happened so quickly.

"Grant, would you like to visit Shelisaere today? I am in the mood to see what baubles Jerrica has for me," she said as she smiled, her eyes lighting as she did so.

"Of course, love," I said as I pressed my lips to her forehead and rest a hand upon her swollen belly. It was still amazing to me, that her abdomen was swollen with my life. I couldn't wait to meet the little one.

She smiled slightly as I wound my arm around her side, helping her along. Her walk had become more of a wobble lately, as she was very close to her term. She was glowing with a new light and had never looked so beautiful to me as she did these past few weeks. It was easy to tell that she was completely ecstatic, an easy smile always rest upon her lips. I will never take for granted her beauty and grace.

We were slowly walking down the corridor before I heard her gasp and an instant later she was half bent over, clutching her belly with one hand, and grasping my arm with the other, her skirts wet.

"Lynnae?!" I asked as I held onto her arm, holding her up.

"Oh!" She gasped as another spasm ripped through her body.

"We need the midwife! It's nearly time," she said as she looked up at me and smiled, her eyes crinkled as she fought against a contraction.

I laughed to myself as I remembered how she was so calm, so collected. I had expected her to be frazzled, but she wasn't. She held her composure, as always.

Today my wife would bore me my first child. Today, I would get the family I never thought I would have. Just months ago you could have asked me if I would ever be married and with a child, I would have scoffed in your face. I would have denied ever needing another soul in this life. I would have vehemently refused even the idea of a family.

Now, I could not imagine my life any other way. I could not imagine my existence without Lynnae.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Push, dear! You're almost there!" The midwife, Molly, said to me urgently. I nodded and gritted my teeth against the pain. I squeezed the fabric of my sheer white gown that was pulled up above my stomach with all of my strength, hoping in vain to transfer some of the pain into it.

I could feel my entire face scrunch up and I locked my jaw against the scream that was threatening to rip through my mouth as I tensed my lower half and pushed against the wall that was separating my child from this life.

"One more big one and you're done!" Molly said. "Vivian, ready the wash pan!"

Pain ripped viciously through my entire body as I took a deep breath and pushed hard one last time.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I continued pacing back and forth impatiently. I felt as if I had been doing this forever, but hardly any time has passed since I last checked the time. The sun was still blazing high in the sky.

My head snapped to the door as I heard it open and Vivian poked her head in, a slight blush and a smile on her face.

"We are ready for you now, my king," she said quietly as she opened the door all the way and curtsied.

I looked to Roren and he nodded in encouragement. "Congratulations, Grant," he said as he stood up and clapped me on the shoulder.

I walked swiftly out the door and across the hallway. I stopped before the door as I collected myself. Taking a deep breath, I braced myself and opened the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"It's a boy, my queen," Vivian said as she handed the pink babe to me.

I looked down into the face of my child and my heart instantly doubled in size, or at least it felt as if it did. I was not surprised to see that thin dark hair covered the babe's head. I smiled as I planted a light kiss among the soft, pink skin of his cheek.

"Where is my husband?" I asked quietly as I cradled the small bundle in my arms.

"I am here," I heard his strong, deep voice ring from the other end of the room. I looked up and could not stop the smile that crept onto my face as I saw his beautiful form standing just inside the door way.

"Come meet your son," I said quietly as my eyes locked with his, that familiar fire burning within them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I could not get over the sight that was before me; my beautiful wife, holding my newly born son. I was ecstatic that it was a boy. I would have been ecstatic if it had been a girl, as well. It mattered not to me. All that mattered now was this wife and this child and that they grew healthy and happy.

I walked slowly up to my wife, who cradled a little white bundle. Once I reached the edge of the bed, I sat on it and lifted my hand to my wife's cheek, stroking it gently, completely amazed at the woman before me. She was truly a wonder.

"Grant, I'd like you to meet your son, Landon James LeHarce," she said as she lifted the bundle from her arms and offered it to me.

I looked into her eyes and they were so warm and so loving I nearly got lost in them. I gently accepted the babe as she passed him to me. He was so small and fragile as I cradled him to my chest, my eyes locked on his angelic face. I could already see some of his mother in him.

I smiled as I inclined my head towards his and whispered, "Hello, son."

I hardly caught the coo that left the small boy's lips, but I heard it nonetheless and the soft sound made my chest ache with such strong emotions, I knew I would do everything I could for this little boy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"How are you feeling today, love?" I heard Grant ask the next morning as I cuddled into his side, still sleepy.

"I am very well. Sore, but I will not complain," I smiled as I nuzzled his side with my nose.

"I cannot get over how beautiful you are. You amaze me, Lynnae," he whispered as he hooked his arms around me and pulled me gently on top of himself.

"Nonsense," I said as I blushed. "You flatter me so."

"It can't be helped. You are the most gorgeous woman I have ever and will ever meet, and you are mine. Do you know what it feels like to wake up every day and know that you, this angelic creature that sleeps with me every night belongs to me? I could not ask for more," I heard him whisper as he skimmed his fingers along my sides, sending shivers up my spine.

"I thank you," I said as I could feel my cheeks heating up even more.

"You still blush for me," he chuckled as he ran a thumb over my cheek.

I smiled as I heard a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I asked.

"It's Vivian. Your son has awoken," she said through the door.

"We will be in the nursery soon! Thank you!" I smiled as I kissed Grant one last time before getting up for the day.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I smiled and sighed as I took a deep breath of fresh air once I stepped into the courtyard. I hooked the little basket I was carrying in the crook of my arm as I started my short walk to the stables to tack up Arcadia for my ride to the lake, knowing I would find who I was looking for there.

It only took me minutes before I heard his loud whinny and I was met happily by the large stallion.

"Are you ready for a ride down to the lake?" I smiled as I slipped him a treat as Lance saddled him up for me. I stroked his face as I waited for the stable hand to finish.

"Thank you Lance, I will see you among my return," I said as I kicked Cade's sides and we were off at a smooth gallop, the basket sitting in front of me.

The ride was lovely. It was a warm day but there was a cool, crisp breeze that felt very refreshing. I rode towards Othello, who was grazing in the meadow near the lake. I smiled as I saw the two figures I was looking for when I scanned the lake area.

I slowly slid off Cade and let him join Othello to graze as I grabbed the basket and slowly walked towards the boys.

I didn't say anything as I watched my five year old son clumsily swing a small wooden sword around. I couldn't help but smile at the little one. He was so eager and so much like his father. He had a fiery attitude and looked so much like Grant it was unbelievable.

And then there was my husband. He had a wooden sword of his own, but it was at least three times the length of the small boy's. His face was lit with joy as he watched Landon wave the sword through the air and he laughed as our son tripped once and dropped his sword. I covered my mouth with my hand as I giggled.

"Are you boys hungry? I brought you some treats!" I said as I waved, getting their attention.

"Mama!" I heard that familiar high pitched voice squeal as his tiny little frame came running over to me. I set the basket down and scooped up the small, dark haired boy in my arms, giving him a hug. I situated him on my hip and smiled when I saw Grant come jogging up to us from their spot under the shade tree.

"Mama! Papa is training me!" He said as he kissed my cheek.

"Is that a fact?" I said as I ran my hand through his thick, dark hair. His green eyes were lit up with excitement.

"Yup! I'm gonna be just like Papa, big and strong!" He said as he pointed to Grant, who had reached us now.

"Hello, love," he whispered as he wound an arm around my side.

"Hello Grant," I purred quietly. He smiled at me and planted a soft kiss on my cheek, my jaw, and then my collarbone. I shivered before I playfully pushed him away, his face held mock pain.

"Now, now. I brought you boys some treats. I figured you must be hungry by now, you've been gone for quite some time!" I said as I opened the basket, pulling out a few biscuits, cheese, and apples.

"Thank you, Mama!" The boy said as he grabbed his lunch.

"You're welcome Landon," I smiled.

"Mama, Papa, can I go skip rocks on the lake?" He asked as his cheek was stuffed full of biscuit. I laughed and nodded, and Grant said "Alright son, show us what you've got."

I smiled as Grant's arms wound around me as we watched the small boy run to the lake and pick up a rock, heaving it across the water. I laughed as it just arched high in the air and fell in, without skipping once. I knew his strong determination and stubbornness would kick in and he would not stop until he had accomplished his goal.

"My mother was right. He is a very fast learner, even for his young age," Grant said as he watched the boy.

We had recently just returned from a visit to Crestwick and the palace there. In the future we hoped to possibly make a central palace between the two kingdoms where we would reside. As for now, we were happy with the situation, we didn't mind the travels back and forth.

I grinned as Grant wound both of his arms around me, facing me now, before he kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his strong back and clung tightly to him, my chest swelling. It had been nearly 7 years since I had first met this man that was my husband and he still had a spell over me. I still shivered when he looked at me and I still melted when he touched me.

"How did you manage to escape?" He said as he lightly massaged my back with his hands.

"Aleigha is asleep for her nap," I said as I smiled at the thought of our eight month old daughter. I had never thought I would be able to have one child and I had been blessed with two beautiful children.

I sighed and rest my head upon his shoulder.

"What is it, love?" he asked quietly.

"It is nothing," I said back quietly.

"There must be something," he cooed.

"Really, there isn't. It was a sigh of content. A sigh of bliss. I am so extremely happy, Grant. I cannot believe we have gotten this far. I remember when you first proposed this arrangement to me! I had thought it preposterous! And now here we are...with two children and ever in love," I said as I kissed his smooth lips.

"Yes, I remember the time well. I had never imagined I would love you so. I was a fool at twenty four years old, to have thought I could escape your spell. You have no idea just how powerful your beauty is, I didn't stand a chance," he said as he tucked a stray hair behind me ear.

"I love you, Lynnae, my little firebrand."

"I love you as well, Grant," I said as we both turned and watched the sun blaze over the lake, causing the lake to shimmer. We watched as the birds chirped and flew between the trees, causing some of the leaves to slowly fall to the ground. We watched Landon heave rocks across the glass water. We watched the future we never thought we would have.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 386 33
The namesake of a murderous queen, Princess Isabella is torn between running from the bloody legacy or following the path of a woman who fought all t...
85 26 6
Lylliana is a sweet courageous woman in the royal family. The girl who dreams of being a Royal Knight someday. The only child of the Duke who is his...
573 81 31
Meet Erilyn, a master assassin whose blade guards her kingdom's fragile peace against the encroaching darkness of aristocratic corruption. Skilled in...
139K 7.8K 69
| 18+| Sequel to 'The Prince's Choice'| Newly crowned king and queen, William and Jade stand at the brink of war. Their union has enraged William's m...