The Secret Singer

By addictofchocolate

Cover by: @_ViciousCupcake_ with tweaks and a sticker added by @tinhovercarinice What if Cinderella never los... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Not an Update, but an interesting Tag
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29- Part 1
Not an Update
Cover Contest (Finished)
Chapter 29- Part 2
Results of Cover Contest
Covers Received
Chapter 29-Part 3
Chapter 30
Epilogue
Big News!
Bonus Chapter 1
Bonus Chapter 2
Help with the New Book
Ask Me
Rekindling Us is Now Available

Chapter 12

79.3K 2.1K 1K
By addictofchocolate

This chapter is dedicated to @ReadMusicLoyalty because he's awesome, he left me very sweet comments on my book in my profile, and he inspired the character Jay whom you'll meet in this chapter. Thanks a bunch!

Stephanie's POV

On Monday, I woke up to cloudy skies and a gloomy atmosphere , but somehow that wasn't enough to take me away from the high of the weekend. On Sunday we'd all gone to Noah's house and played all kinds of board games like monopoly and twister, and having the time of our lives. I don't know what this new found friendship with Collin is, but I'm definitely excited to have someone like him in my life.

I get ready for school, and I drive out to Amy's before Carrie and the gloom that's surrounding her these days can come and bring me down. I honk on my wheel to state my presence, and Amy comes out of her house with a sandwich in her mouth, her hair in disarray, her backback barely on one shoulder, and her shirt on backwards.

I look at her in amusement as she gets in the car and sighs with obvious relief.

"Um, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, Ames?" I ask her while trying to contain the big, fat grin that wants to appear on my face. She looks at me with a scowl.

"No, but I hurried to get away from the house because yesterday night a few of my brother's friends came to spend the rest of break with us. Let me tell you, most of those guys are the spawns of Satan. Seriously! The only one I would consider okay is Jay, and that's just because we grew up with him and he's always been sweet. The other four that came are completely evil, I'm telling you, it's NOT NORMAL!" She said as she fixed her shirt and ate her sandwich.

I laugh and make sure to scold her for the crumbs that were falling. Hey, I love Amy, but this is my baby, and no way am I letting it get all dirty for her.

We split up in school and I go into class to see Collin waiting for me on the desk next to mine.

"Hey," he says with a big smile. "So I wanted to ask you if you were staying with Amy today to sing since she and Noah are going to practice for the showcase."

"Yeah, I will. After that, we're actually going to Amy's house so you and Noah should come, it'll be interesting to see Noah meet Amy's brothers." I say with an evil grin at the end. Collin smiles once he catches my drift.

"Oooh, I get it. You're secretly plotting Noah's death through Amy's brothers. Well, I'm all for it, but I got to tell you, burying his body will probably be the hardest part." He says.

I look at him with a mock serious face. "Yeah, that's true. But don't worry, there's a wide backyard at Amy's house with plenty of sapce for a grave."

Collin bursts out laughing and says, "You know what Steph, I think we are going to be the very best, best friends ever."

I smile back, but as I turn to pay attention to the teacher, something hurts in my heart. But I push it away, and I forget anything was wrong.

****

"And then, just as I'm getting ready to beat his high score, the fire alarm rings and we realized the cake we baked was burnt!"

I laugh my head off at Collin's story of why he and Noah never cook anymore. Apparently, dumb and dumber decided to bake a cake thinking it would be easy, but forgot to put a timer. Then, they played video games and forgot about the cake as the game got more heated, until it got burnt and the alarms rang. And they say men are the superior gender.

"You guys are the biggest idiots ever! Who puts a cake in the oven and then forgets about it?" I ask him in between laughs.

"Okay, first of all, we were in a very tough competition. Second, it's not my fault the box didn't tell me to put a timer!" He says indignantly. I laugh harder.

"Maybe because the people who made the cake mix thought you'd be smart enough to know you needed to do that!"

He gives me an exaggerated pout, and darn if my stupid heart doesn't skip a beat. God, Steph, get a grip! Yes, he's hot and he can sing too, but this crush will never go anywhere!

"Hey," he said nudging me gently. "What's going on in that mind? You went away there for a second."

I look away, embarrassed. I can't tell him, or it'll ruin everything. He's such a great guy, and I refuse to lose his friendship over a petty crush.

"Nothing, don't worry, just random things that don't matter." I say with a bright smile. He looks at me skeptically, but before he can say anything James comes over. Funny that I haven't thought about him for a while now.

"Hey Steph" he says. He looks over at Collin with a clenched jaw. Why was he mad at Collin,  he'd never been anything but nice?

"Hey James, we were just talking about Collin's stupidity."

He raised his eyebrows as Collin crossed his arms and pouted again looking away from me.

"Well!" Collin says in a mock insulted voice. I laugh and pinch his cheek, trying not to blush when I make contact with his skin.

"For heaven's sake Collin, you look like a petulant kid who didn't get his way. It's not my fault you're a dummy." I say in a  condescending voice.

James looks between us like we're completely crazy and I can't help but laugh with Collin at it. James finally just shrugs and laughs with us. We really are such wierdos.

****

I tap my pencil on my desk as my chemistry teacher drones on and on about particles and energy. I stare at the clock willing it to move faster, until it finally settles on 3:00 and the bell rings signaling the end of the day. Everyone rushes out of class, and the teacher just sits down not even bothering to tell us about the hw since half the class was already gone.

I navigate my way through the mass of kids until I find the auditorium which is blocked by whispering teens. I look around confused as to why everyone is gossiping about the auditorium, but I give up after a while and make my way to the secret entrance.

I change into workout gear in the secluded area, then walk out into the auditorium where Amy is standing with a group of people I've never seen before and Collin and Noah. The girls are all wearing t-shirts and tights, and the guys are all wearing tank tops and sweatpants or tights.

"Hey guys, what's going on?" I ask. Everyone turns to me and Amy smiles and waves me closer.

"Hey Steph, these are the dancer friends of Noah. They're all famous in varying degrees, so of course the idiots in our school decided to go and stare at them through the doors. Some of them are people from here since we needed more dancers, though." Amy replies.

I nod and look over at Collin who smiles and hugs me to his side, making a few of the eyebrows in the room go up.

Once the school security escorts all the kids outside out of the school, Amy walks up to the front of the room and whistles loudly to get everyone's attention.

"For those of you that don't know me, I am Amy. You are here because I need multiple dancers for my showcase piece and you are either a famous dancer or one of the best dancers in this school. For those of you that are new to this, I want you to be very clear on something. Dancing involves getting very close to someone of the opposite gender, and there will be some dance moves that look intimate. Therefore, if you are not comfortable with that, please do not waste my time, and get out. If you choose to stay, and I later find that you're nervous, I will force you into a closet with a member of the opposite sex and lock you in there until I think you've gotten over your fear. Am I understood?"

The famous dancers nodded with smirks on their faces, but some of the kids from school nodded nervously. Amy narrowed her eyes at a particular girl that was sweating with fear, but didn't leave. She grabbed Noah's shirt and dragged him over with her.

"You! Are you sure you want to stay? Because I don't make idle threats, and there will be times when I need you to dance this close to a guy." She said demonstrating by smashing her face into Noah's then quickly letting go and glaring again at the girl.

I looked at Noah whose face flushes bright red, and his hand tugs the collar of his shirt like he's hot. I smirk and look at Collin who also looks at Noah with an amused expression.

When I look back at Amy, she seems to be calmer and less like she's going to rip the poor girl's head off. She walks away with a nod, and comes back to the front.

"Steph, could you sing that song you wrote freshman year to get us back in the dancing mood?" She asks. I nervously look around at the curious faces around me, until Collin takes my shoulders into his hands and twists me to look at him.

"Hey, it's okay. Just remember what I told you, nobody can make you be anything you don't want. Singing can be a simple hobby if that's what you want Steph. You don't owe anyone an explanation,  just sing what you want when you want, no more of this hiding." He tells me with sincere emerald eyes.

I nod slowly. I'm done hiding for the sake of fear. I will let go and just sing for fun when I want, and however I want.

Amy claps her hands excitedly, and goes over to the stage box to get a hands-free microphone. I press the button for the track of my song and smile at its upbeat tune as the intro begins.

Amy yells out to everyone that this is a warm up and that they should just let loose and dance for now. My cue hits and I start to sing and dance.

Don't think about it
Just move your body
Listen to the music
Sing, oh, ey, oh
Just move those left feet
Go ahead, get crazy
Anyone can do it
Sing, oh, ey, oh

Show the world you've got that fire
Feel the rhythm getting louder
Show the room what you can do
Prove to them you got the moves
I don't know about you,

Collin moves over and guides my hands to his shoulders puts his hands on my waist, and we sway to the beat.

I feel better when I'm dancing, yeah, yeah
Better when I'm dancing, yeah, yeah
And we can do this together
I bet you feel better when you're dancing, yeah, yeah

I let go of Collin and Amy walks over. We shake our hips together to the beat.

When you finally let go
And you slay that solo
Cause you listen to the music
Sing, oh, ey, oh
'Cause you're confident, babe
And you make your hips sway
We knew that you could do it
Sing, oh, ey, oh

Show the world you've got that fire
Feel the rhythm getting louder
Show the room what you can do
Prove to them you got the moves
I don't know about you,

But I feel better when I'm dancing, yeah, yeah
Better when I'm dancing, yeah, yeah
And we can do this together
I bet you feel better when you're dancing, yeah, yeah

The whole group gets together and joins in dancing to the music until it seems like we just randomly start dancing in sync.

I feel better when I'm dancing
I'm better when I'm dancing, aye, oh ey oh

Feel better when I'm dancing, yeah yeah
Better when I'm dancing, yeah yeah,
Don't you know
We can do this together
Bet you feel better when you're dancing, yeah, yeah

(you got the moves, babe)

I feel better when I'm dancing
I'm better when I'm dancing
Feel better when I'm, yeah, yeah

The song finishes, and we all laugh. Amy smiles with approval and she and the others hugg me as a thank you for helping out, and compliment me on my singing. I go and change while she kept dancing with the others, this time to the mix tape that would actually play during the showcase.

I come out again and I see Collin sitting on the stage watching the dancers as they spin and move in an intricate dance. I go and sit next to him, nudging his shoulder with mine.

"How'd you like the song?" I ask a little nervously. He smiles.

"It was really great Steph, you have an amazing talent of not only singing beautifully, but also writing amazing songs. And I'm super proud of you that you're finally coming out of your shell and singing in front of more people. " He replies earnestly.

I blush and look away toward the dancers to keep from looking at Collin with a red face. Dumb redhead insta-flush genes!

He gently moves my hair away from my face, and turns my face toward him again and cups my cheek.

"Hey," he says softly. "You don't have to hide from me. I mean every word I said and more. You are a beautiful person inside and out Stephanie Coleman, and I am honored to be your friend."

I look at him with misty eyes at his sweet words. He smiles, but that same pain in my chest from earlier comes. Oh no, I can't be hurt because he said he was my friend! That's what I want, what I need. This can't be more, because someone like Collin should be with someone glamorous or exotic, but not plain me.

I don't even realize how close we've gotten during my mini freak out nor how long it has been, until Amy yells out to us from the auditorium floor.

"Hey lovebirds, could you get down now!"

I go completely red again as I look around and realize the rehearsal is over and everyone's gone.

Collin and I walk over to where Amy and Noah are standing with identical goofy grins.

"Shut up," I say to Amy as we walk to my car. She laughs.

"I'm not saying anything!" She replies in between laughs.

"Yeah, well you were thinking it," I say. She laughs again making me smile, and I put the car into ignition and drive to Amy's house with the boys following us in Noah's car.

****

We get to Amy's house, and the second I open the door pandemonium envelopes us. The four brothers are sitting on the couch playing video games with three other guys I don't know standing around them shouting encouragement, and throwing popcorn everywhere. Mr. Jameson is calmly sitting on one of the loveseats sipping a lemonade with an amused Mrs. Jameson on his lap. The only normal person I can see is Jay, sitting at the edge of the living room with his usual black headphones on his mop of dark curly hair, bobbing his head to the beat of the music.

"Woah," Collin whispered from behind us.

I had to agree. I have never seen the house so crazy and dirty, and let me tell you, when there are six children under one roof and four of them are boys, it can get very crazy.

Amy goes over and introduces Noah and Collin to her parents, and I watch in amusement as the boys pause their game to see who Noah was.

"So, you're the guy my sister's dancing with, huh?" Andrew asks. He crosses his arms in front of Noah making his huge muscles protrude even further. Noah nods slowly and Amy looks at both of them nervously, like they'll start fighting any second now. Andrew looks at the other brothers, and they seem to have some sort of silent communication until Andrew finally nods and looks at Noah once more.

"You can dance and be friends, as long as no hanky panky goes on understood? I don't need my sister coming home saying she's pregnant, because I'll surely go to jail for your murder if that happens." He says.

Amy puts her face in her hands and groans in embarrassment, while Noah looks like he's about to piss his pants from the fright that the four huge brothers in front of him invoke.

"Y-y-yes, of course, nothing like that." Noah stutters. Collin lets out a chuckle, but quickly coughs to mask it, and Noah sends him a dirty glare.

"Good, then we understand each other. And let me tell you, if you ever hurt my sister again, you will pay the price. Other than that, I'm sure we'll get along great!" Andrew says with a big, creepy smile. Noah exhales, relieved, and Amy glares at all of them as as they move back to the couch to play their game with Noah and Collin in tow.

"I'm going to go and help Haley with her ballet in the basement, ok?" She tells me. I nod and she walks to the basement stairs, and I turn in the direction of Jay, curious to know what he's listening to.

"Hey," I say shaking his knee.

"Hey Steph, what's up?" He asks once he takes his earphones out. I sit next to him and tell him everything that's been happening, and he listens attentively asking questions every now and then.

"Well, it sounds like you have quite the interesting life Ms. Coleman." He jokes. I roll my eyes.

"Please, my life is super boring. It just seems interesting now, but normally it's not that great. I just feel tired, you know? Like everything is changing and I'm struggling to catch up." I tell him.

He seems to mull over this for a bit, until he suddenly brightens and searches through his ipod. He finds what he's looking for, and turns back to me with excitement.

"Here," he says giving me one of the ear buds. "Just relax and listen to the song."

I nod and he presses play, and Eminem's Lose yourself comes on.

Look, if you had, one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted. In one moment
Would you capture it, or just let it slip?
Yo

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs,
But he keeps on forgetting what he wrote down,
The whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
He's choking how, everybody's joking now
The clock's run out, time's up, over, blaow!
Snap back to reality. Oh, there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
He's so mad, but he won't give up that
Easy, no
He won't have it, he knows his whole back's to these ropes
It don't matter, he's dope
He knows that but he's broke
He's so sad that he knows
When he goes back to his mobile home, that's when it's
Back to the lab again, yo
This whole rhapsody
He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him

[Hook:]
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go (go)
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime (yo)
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go (go)
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime (yo)
(You better)

The soul's escaping, through this hole that is gaping
This world is mine for the taking
Make me king, as we move toward a new world order
A normal life is boring, but superstardom's close to postmortem
It only grows harder, homie grows hotter
He blows. It's all over. These hoes is all on him
Coast to coast shows, he's known as the globetrotter
Lonely roads, God only knows
He's grown farther from home, he's no father
He goes home and barely knows his own daughter
But hold your nose 'cause here goes the cold water
His hoes don't want him no more, he's cold product
They moved on to the next schmoe who flows
He nose dove and sold nada
So the soap opera is told and unfolds
I suppose it's old partner, but the beat goes on
Da da dum da dum da da da da

[Hook]

No more games, I'm a change what you call rage
Tear this motherfucking roof off like two dogs caged
I was playing in the beginning, the mood all changed
I've been chewed up and spit out and booed off stage
But I kept rhyming and stepped right into the next cypher
Best believe somebody's paying the Pied Piper
All the pain inside amplified by the
Fact that I can't get by with my 9 to 5
And I can't provide the right type of life for my family
'Cause man, these goddamn food stamps don't buy diapers
And it's no movie, there's no Mekhi Phifer, this is my life
And these times are so hard, and it's getting even harder
Trying to feed and water my seed, plus
Teeter totter caught up between being a father and a primadonna
Baby, mama drama's screaming on her
Too much for me to wanna
Stay in one spot, another day of monotony's gotten me
To the point, I'm like a snail
I've got to formulate a plot or I end up in jail or shot
Success is my only motherfucking option, failure's not
Mom, I love you, but this trailer's got to go
I cannot grow old in Salem's lot
So here I go it's my shot.
Feet, fail me not
This may be the only opportunity that I got

[Hook]

You can do anything you set your mind to, man.

I listen closely to the lyrics and I feel peaceful. Jay has always had this effect, just being able to help me let go of my burdens and live in the moment. The song ends and I hand him back his ear bud.

"Thanks Jay, I needed that." I say as I stand up and get ready to go into the kitchen as I see mrs. Jameson waving us into the dining room.

Jay hugs me and says "anytime, kiddo."

We walk into the dining room, and I see Collin looking at us with a slightly angry face. I look back at him confused as to why he'd be angry, but he immediately smiles and gestures for me to sit next to him. Must have been my imagination.

We all sit, and the boys devour the food as we girls look on in amusement. I mean, I'm a big eater, but I have nothing on Collin who can inhale three plates. He must do a lot of exercise to keep his body that fit with all the food he eats; all that muscle definitely doesn't come easy.

I blush at where my thoughts are going, and quickly grab my cold soda and gulp it down. Amy smirks from her seat across from me as she looks in between me and Collin, already knowing what my thoughts must have been. Sometimes it really sucks to have a best friend who knows you better than you know yourself. 

Later on, as I lay in my bed, I think about Collin and the strange murky feeling that creeps into my chest whenever I'm near him nowadays. What does it mean? Why now? If I'm honest with myself, I know that these feelings are the start of a crush. I know I can't control that, but why? Why do I have to get weird feelings for a guy who's such a great friend? Because that's all Collin is, a friend. He never will be more, because, let's be real. He can have anyone he wants. I've seen pictures of him with girls before, and those girls are always out of this world beautiful, and mostly models. That's not me, and it never will be. I have to nip this in the bud before I get hurt, because that's what'll happen. Collin will politely try to explain why I'm not his type, and our friendship will never be the same.

So no, I won't let anything happen. Collin Jacobs has officially been friend zoned.

****

A/N: Hello everyone! Thank you for being patient with the updates and reading this book! I cannot believe I hit 1k reads. Seriously, it boggles me mind that I have that kind of support. So thank you, and I really hope you liked this chapter! Did you like seeing more of Amy's brothers? What do you think will happen with Stephanie and Collin's friendship? What's going on between Amy and Noah? Comment and tell me everything! Please vote also, cuz thay means the world to me and motivates me to keep on writing. Do remember that I update every Wednesday, but I update sooner if I get ten votes! Thanks a bunch guys! Ciao!

P.S. The video above is the song Stephanie sings in the chapter called: Better when I'm dancing by Meghan Trainor

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 10.2K 23
Audrey Greene has always been a bit of a loner. Content to listen to her music and bury her nose in a book, she's never tried to branch out and meet...
198K 1K 33
This is a mix of different animes that have smut in them
420K 12.6K 47
Three decades ago the realm bled. Today, The Lost Prince lives. Kareth is a legend, a mythical hero; a brigand who just so happens to be the Prince o...
7.4M 145K 73
PUBLISHED ON AMAZON.COM Avalon has spent her entire life on her family's Cattle Station in Northern Queensland. In her eyes there is nothing sweeter...