The Art of Revenge

By upthere

After being cheated on, Peyton Brandt feels like crap. She goes the whole summer in her house only surviving... More

01 - The Plan
02 - Hair, Clothes, Everything.
03 - Dillon
04 - PDA
05 - Dance
06 - Food Fight
07 - One Of A Kind
08 - Stupid Music
09 - Hide and Seek
10 - Just The Way You Are
11 - Aftermath
12 - The Kiss
13 - Preparations
14 - Stories From the Past
15 - Not Alone
16 - Three Things
18 - Trip to the Hospital
19 - Surprise at Home
20 - The Truth Hurts
21 - Caught in Action
22 - Fake
23 - All Alone
24 - Disappear
25 - Breakdown
26 - A Haunted Night
27 - Dancing with Fire
28 - Jace's POV
29 - Fire Mutt
30 - Home Sweet Home
31 - Anything For You
32 - Back to School
33 - Kayla's Story
34 - Are You Sure?
35 - Confession
36 - Paradise
The Art of Plagiarizers [PLEASE READ]
37 - Boyfriend
38 - Admitting It
39 - Final Goodbyes
Epilogue
Sneak peek of TAOR sequel - The Art of Moving On!
Bonus Chapter: Jace's POV

17 - Old Kayla

28.5K 550 239
By upthere

 Sorry it's been awhile but I have a good reason! I've been reading the Hunger Games series and finished them... If you've read them, I know you understand. If you haven't, go. read. them. now.

But, enjoy! :)

_________________________________________________

“It’s not… much.” Jace said sheepishly as he held open my door.

            I looked up at the Harley residence and instantly loved it. It was a little house with a tree on the right side. A beautiful flowerbed rested in front of a huge open window and the whole house was done in a manila paint. Overall, I really liked it. It wasn’t huge like Dill and my house is but this one looked more homey and nice. Mine wasn’t like his. Mine is like a hotel room kind of meaning that it doesn’t feel like a home.

            “I love it,” I smiled at him and he gently took my hand, leading me to the front door.

            This morning Jace didn’t even bring up last night’s events and I was thankful for that. Today I was focused on keeping my mind in motion. I won’t stop to think about the fire at all.

            “Mom?” Jace called when he opened the door. The inside was even better than the outside. It looked like someone actually lived here unlike my residence where everything has to be perfect like a demo’s house. “I’m with Peyton.”

            “In here, you two!” She called and Jace squeezed my hand while walking into the kitchen. When we walked in there, a woman in her forties was standing over the stove while mixing something. She turned around when Jace cleared his throat and a smile crossed her face.

            “Hello, Ms Harley.” I smiled at her. “I’m Peyton.”

            She quickly washed her hands and took both of mine into hers. “Oh, call me Ella.” She turned to her son. “Jace, your girlfriend is beautiful.”

            I laughed, “Thank you!”

            I looked between Jace and his mother and they definitely looked alike with the dark hair and light eyes combination. The only difference really was the facial structure. He must’ve gotten his father’s.

            “Okay you two… Lunch will be ready soon so go do something while I finish up!” She let go of my hands so Jace wrapped an arm around my waist earning an ecstatic smile from his mother. “If you go into a room, leave the door open!”

            I turned bright red as Jace led me out of the kitchen and up a set of stairs. We walked down the hall to the last door and he opened it revealing a door.

            “My abode,” He said in a low, funny voice while opening it. He gestured me inside of his room and I was surprised at how clean it was. Whenever I walked into Dillon’s, I always think to bring a gasmask.

            He motioned me to sit on his bed while he turned on some movie that I liked as well as him. I leaned against the wall then put my feet on Jace’s lap when he joined me. I fiddled with my thumbs because I was nervous for the lunch we were going to have downstairs. I’m not a really good talker…

            “Calm down,” He said and I looked up. “She already likes you. A lot.”

            I laughed, “Why?

            Jace shrugged and put his hands behind his head. “Maybe because you’re better than the other girlfriends I had.”

            I scrunched my eyebrows together. “Jace, I have a question… Who have you gone out with?”

            He seemed taken back from the question but answered it anyways. “Hannah James, Erin Dennison, Nina Turner, Kayla Matthews—“

            My eyes practically popped out of my head. “You went out with Kayla!”

            He looked down as if he was embarrassed about it. “It was freshmen year and she wasn’t like that at all.” He got up and went through some drawers until he pulled out a picture and handed it to me. It was of a smaller Jace and a beautiful blonde girl who didn’t have her boobs showing or too much makeup like the Kayla now did.

            “This isn’t her.”

            He laughed, “Yeah it is, actually. She was my longest relationship but even that was only a few months. I liked her but…”

            “But?”

            He sighed, “I liked someone else better so I broke up with her and told her why. I didn’t tell her who the girl was though, I didn’t tell anyone.”

            “Did you go out with her?”

            “Nope.”

            “So why is she not like this girl in the picture anymore?” I continued looking at it in wonder.

            “Well, after I broke up with her, Kayla was mad. She kind of pulled off the same thing that you’re doing to Sean but she did it with all the guys instead of one. She turned into a slut, she turned into who she is now.”

            I looked at the photograph again. Kayla had to be only fourteen or fifteen but she looks so good here. You wouldn’t think that the Kayla in this picture would ever turn out to be the Kayla who kissed my ex-boyfriend, causing us to break up.

            “Ah, here are my lovebirds!” I looked up to see Cara leaning against the doorframe, smiling at us. “Oh, go on with the show. I’ll be happy to watch!”

            “Cara!” Jace hissed. “Be quiet, I don’t want mom finding out that this is… fake.”

            Cara rolled her eyes, “I don’t think anyone can think it’s all fake.” With that, she left with a wink.

            I would’ve commented on her words but my mind was still wound up with the thoughts of Kayla. How could she be so… innocent back in ninth grade but then turn into a girl that sleeps around?

            “Peyton?” I left my thoughts and saw Jace standing up while holding his hand out to me. “Lunch is ready, come on.”

            Lunch was nice. Ella made the four of us spaghetti and meatballs while we all exchanged conversation with each other.

            “So, Peyton… How did you meet Jace?” She asked.

            I twirled some noodles onto my fork and looked up. “Well, Dillon is my brother and—“

            Ms. Harley almost spit out her food and looked at me with wide eyes. “You’re Dillon’s sister?” I nodded my head. “But you’re so polite compared to him!”

            I laughed along with everyone else then turned serious. “He was dropped on his head when he was a baby.”

            After lunch was over, Jace took me home where Dillon was still asleep even at two in the afternoon. Once he was awake, the three of us spent the rest of the weekend together just having fun. Jace and I didn’t act like a couple for Dill’s sake but I even caught myself sneaking peaks over at him while the two guys laughed together.

            But once Sunday came to a close, Monday started which also meant school. Jace took me there as always, but when I walked down the hall with him and saw Kayla, I couldn’t help but think about how they had once gone out with each other and how she was once standing where I am. Is that why she hates me? No… That started many years ago. When our eyes connected, she scowled and turned away.

            Classes went by slow but then I was in English with Lauren, Dillon, Luke, and Sean. I was sitting with my best friend when my teacher announced our new project.         

            “So, class.” She started. “Since we’ve been discussing different kinds of dialogue in plays, we’re going to split into groups of two, one boy and one girl, and do different parts of the famous play Romeo and Juliet. All of you should’ve already read the script through so this will be easy.

            A girl spoke out in the front of the class without her hand raised like always, “Will we get to pick our partners?”

            Ms. Sunday just laughed, “Nope.” She jiggled a bag on her desk. “Girls will draw their partner’s name out of the hat then I will assign you a part based on their acting ability. I will give the act, the scene, and then which part of it I want you to do of that scene. It’ll only be a few lines so most presentations will only be five minutes at the most. Any questions?”

            “When is it due?” Another person asked.

            “Two weeks from today. You’ll have to practice with that person on your own time but I’m not holding you responsible for costume or anything, just how you portray your character. Any others?” No one spoke up. “Let’s get to it then. Casey! You’re up first.”

            I watched as she picked random girls out of the crowd and had them go up to the front of the room then draw a name out of the paper bag.

            “Lauren!” Ms. Sunday urged my friend up.

            I saw her carefully put her hand into the bag and take out a small piece of paper. “Dillon?” She said out loud and then rolled her eyes as she sat back down. “Thank goodness I didn’t get some kid that’s a complete loser,” She whispered.

            As more and more people went, it was down to the last three-fourths of the class when our teacher called my name. I quietly went up there as everyone’s eyes trailed my every move. I reached my hand into the bag and felt the pieces of paper until my fingers enclosed around one. I took it out and read the name out loud.

            “Sean Gray.”

            You could’ve heard a pin drop in the silence.

            I saw Dillon get to his feet, his face already turning red from anger while Luke stood up with him. “Oh, hell no.” Dillon said in his ghetto girl voice. “Luke, hold my earrings.”

            Everyone in the room started laughing but when I looked at Sean, he looked happy. I slowly made my way back to my seat, patting Dillon’s head on the way, and took back my place next to Lauren. I know she wanted to know how I felt but I didn’t say anything because I didn’t know what to say.

            Sean and I spending time together? I didn’t even want to say a word to that guy. I hate him, enough said.

            “Okay, I’ll now be coming around to tell you all which scene you’ll be doing with your partner in front of the class. Please get with them now and discuss where you’ll be practicing outside of class.”

            I looked over at Sean who motioned me over. I sighed, gathered my stuff, and cautiously walked over there while Dillon was watching my every move. I grabbed a chair and pulled it to the opposite side of Sean’s desk while I noticed that Ms. Sunday was starting to make her rounds.

            “So…” He started and leaned forward onto his desk. “How about we do this at—“

            “Oh!” Dillon slid down the row of desktops on his stomach then stopped in front of us. “Just excuse me, I really want to Slip n’ Slide right now so this will have to do.” He gave me a stern look before taking the seat next to me, glaring at Sean. “Where are you two going to do your little project?”

            I saw Sean gulp and his eyebrow twitched, something he only does when he’s nervous. “Well, I was thinking at my place.”

            “Objection!” Dill acted like he pounded a court gavel then stood up. “Your project will be at the Brandt residence when I am around!”

            “With me!” Lauren came in and sat down next to Sean before tossing an arm around his shoulders. “So, Seannie boy… How’s it going?” She said in an oddly cheerful voice. “Found any new girls to fuck with?”

            Dillon snorted, “I don’t think he understands you, Lauren. After all, he only speaks asshole.”

            The two slapped palms while I rolled my eyes. Ms. Sunday came over and started going on what she expects from them leaving me with Sean.

            I looked at him and say him eyeing my face but not my eyes. “What?”

            Sean surprised me by having his fingers go to my face and lightly touch my cheek. “I’m so sorry…”

            When his hands left, I brought my own and realized it was the scar that came from when he punched me in the face. He must’ve been wearing a ring our something to give me a scratch.

            “You should apologize about more than that,” I whispered. He seemed like he was going to say more but Ms. Sunday interrupted him.

            “I have a question,” She said then pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “You’ve both been in performances at this school before, correct?”

            I remember my freshmen year when my mom had made Dillon and I do the play and Sean was also there as well. We all got parts in it but they weren’t super big.

            I nodded, “In Hamlet.”

            “So I’m going to give you two the best scene of the entire play in my opinion.”

            Oh man, it’s probably the one with the balcony. Romeo, oh Romeo…

            “Act one, scene five starting when Romeo says ‘If I profane…’ and ending when the nurse cuts in. Learn it, live it, love it. Feel free to really go into depth with your characters. I want the whole scene memorized plus the actions. Read the script, watch the movie, do everything and I’ll give you both A’s. This is the biggest project of the semester so it’s very important to your grade!”

            We both nodded so she left to go to the other groups. I got out the script and turned to it the part she said. I glanced through the thing quickly but then my eyes rested on the thing we had to do during it.

            Romeo kisses Juliet.

            As they say in Shakespeare talk, Baddeth this is.

            Or in other words…

            This is bad.

____________________________________

I hope you liked this one! I personally didn't but it's leading up to the big event in this story so stay tuned!

Plus, I have a new story coming out called Secrets can Kill. It's a mystery, action, thriller, romance, and humor story and I think that you'd like it if you like any of the genres! It'll be here in a week or so and I'll put the summary up on my page in a few days :)

Thanks for reading!

Did anyone's thoughts change about Kayla after this chapter?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 4.6K 34
Cover made by @Chatachino Cora Charlotte Clark was just like any normal girl. She have two loving parents, amazing best friends and friends and a lov...
121K 2K 24
Paige left home after her fiance cheated on her the night before their wedding. What happens when a death brings her back home? Will she allow hersel...
388K 5.4K 33
What happens when the man you love cheats on you with your best friends and leaves you speech less and nothing to care for......................
69.5K 2.1K 24
a girl named Amari meets two guys turns out they are buddies but she doesnt know read more to find out........