Regona City: Flight (BK2)

By voif1d

The Falcons are ready to go, and they want it all. Sahara finds herself with more than she bargained for when... More

Good Times
First Challenge
Race
How to Break an Addiction
Attack?
A Past Revealed
When All Was Calm
The MiFlash
Losing Control
Noah
Glimpse of His Past
A Date of Sorts
First Racer's High
When Things Fall Apart
A Deal
Growing a Backbone
Thief of Hearts
Hoax Unveiled
The Omegas
Where Omegas Tread
Two Brothers
Reunion
The Unexpected (Final)

Beginnings

34.7K 682 75
By voif1d

Among the tightly knit buildings of Regona, a group of teens gathered. Some sat on boards, hovering on in the air, while others stood nearby. All of them were glued to the screens on either their own bracelet or that of a neighbor's.

"Come on," one guy muttered as he stared intently into the screen. It showed two hoverboarders, boarding through narrow alley ways at extremely dangerous speeds. One of the boarders was a girl with blond hair and striking blue eyes, the other, a guy with dark brown hair. The girl was narrowly leading. Her board was a bright pink with swirling white designs on it. The front of it, however, had the imprint of a black falcon.

"Go, go, go!" Reagan yelled enthusiastically into the screen on his bracelet.

"She can't hear you," Orion told him from nearby.

"Go!" Naomi shouted louder than Reagan had.

Sahara sat beside the twins, her hands covering her eyes. Every few seconds she would peak out between her fingers. "Is she still okay?" she asked for the hundredth time.

"Relax," Arden grinned, "She's not going to crash."

"Yup, she's an even better boarder than she is a thief," Reagan added without looking away.

"Come on!" the guy nearby yelled. He seemed to be getting more and more frustrated.

"They nearing the finish," Arden looked up as he said it. Sahara followed his gaze to look down at the long straight stretch of alleyway before them. At the end of it came a sharper corner than she thought any hover boarder, no matter how good, could make.

"Hey!" Reagan let out the yell.

Through her fingers, Sahara saw the guy pull up beside Alegra in the narrow alley. He swerved to the side, ramming Alegra's board.

"He's playing dirty," Arden growled. He looked up at the guy near him. "This is meant to be a clean race," he told him.

"Yeah, yeah," the guy replied as he didn't look up.

"Don't worry about it," Orion spoke from where he stood. He pushed his glasses up. "She can handle it."

A few moments later Alegra proved him right. When the guy next to her tried to ram her again, she suddenly shot upwards. Instead of hitting her, the guy swerved and almost hit the wall. Taking the moment to her advantage, Alegra leaned forward and went for the corner at full speed.

"She'll never make it!" Sahara exclaimed. Naomi reacted by covering her own eyes, mimicking Sahara.

"Wait for it," Arden murmured.

The guy pulled up beside Alegra once more.

"They'll crash!" Sahara tried again. She knew from her own practice just how hard it was to go around tight corners, especially at a fast pace.

Both boarders hit the curve. The guy leaned back, braking hard while taking the corner in a drift. He did it the way a normal boarder would. Alegra, however, sped up and took the curve like a pro. She whizzed around it, leaning over to the side so that her entire board tipped. Its belly scraped the edge of the wall, causing sparks. And then she burst around and was in sight of the waiting teens.

Sahara let out a sigh of relief as Alegra shot towards them, her little stunt putting her a good way ahead of the guy.

"Yay!" Naomi cheered as Alegra flew through the hologram finish line that had been set up.

Reagan punched a fist in the air and Arden was grinning from ear to ear. Orion simply stood up straight and walked up to a guy who looked like her couldn't believe it. The other boarder passed through the finish line.

"One thousand points," Orion told the guy he walked towards.

The guy looked like he was ready to argue.

"We could add on five hundred more for that little stunt your guy tried to pull," Orion added.

"What stunt?" the guy on the board yelled.

Orion calmly lifted his bracelet and pulled up a hologram screen. "I could send a copy of the race along with our racing agreements to the Keepers," he said. "You know if we agreed on a clean race then doing otherwise could get you a visit from them."

The guy next to him placed a hand on his arm to stop him. "One thousand. That was the deal."

He held out his bracelet and handed the points over to Orion. Sahara and the other Falcons gathered around Alegra.

"You're amazing," Sahara told her.

Alegra grinned.

"That last stunt was wicked!" Reagan agreed.

When Orion and the other guy were done, the teens around them were dispersing. The guy who had raced Alegra, shot her a dirty look before following. Alegra simple smirked at him.

"Better luck next time," she called after him.

"Can we eat now?" Naomi asked.

"You hungry?" Alegra got off her board and picked Naomi up.

The little girl nodded.

"Then eat we shall," Alegra told her in high spirits.

"Seriously?" Orion asked as he walked over. "We just win some solid points and you already want to go and spend it?"

"Got a problem?" Alegra got defensive at once.

"As a matter of fact," Orion lifted his bracelet, "Yes." He made a screen appear with numbers on it. "Based on my book keeping, the amount we've been spending in contrast with the amount we've been making is going to put us at exactly..."

"Oh relax!" Arden put his arm around Orion's shoulder. "The reason we make points..."

"Is to spend them!" Reagan finished for him as he, too, put his arm around Orion's other shoulder.

Orion didn't seem to even notice the twins close proximity to him. "The point to make money is that we can get better equipment. Once we have better equipment..."

"When are we going to make status challenges?" Alegra cut him off. She yawned. "This is our sixth one on one challenge for points. I'm sure we need the points, but aren't we aiming for Omega status or something?" She put Naomi back down. "I don't know, but to me it seems like we aren't really on our way to get there at all."

"Now, I agree with that." Arden nodded.

Orion moved both twins from him. "That's what I'm trying to explain," he told them patiently. "First, we need to build up our reputation if we want people to challenge us. We also need better equipment, especially if we're going to start group races."

"Why can't we do group races now?" Sahara asked curiously.

By now, all other teens had left. One last one had paused by Alegra to try get her IHM. Naomi had been the one to chase him off with glares and hissing noises. She seemed to have learned it from Mo.

"Group races have bigger stakes, either points or sometimes status," Reagan told her.

"So?" Sahara asked.

"First, you need top equipment to match the other crews you race. Second, we need five people to race in that..." Orion began, he turned to Sahara, "No offence, but you're not up to that level yet."

Sahara reluctantly nodded. "What about Terrell?"

"Yeah right," Alegra muttered. "He hasn't contributed once, and yet still demands rent of us like he's at the top of the food chain. Besides, what' gotten in to him? It's like he's got a phobia of going out in public all of a sudden."

The twins shrugged and Orion simply pushed his glasses up again.

"We could put Naomi in if we're desperate," Alegra suggested.

Both twins look at her like she had grown a second head. Orion looked intrigued.

"What?" Alegra shrugged. She put a hand on Naomi's head. "She's a pretty good boarder."

Naomi nodded her head enthusiastically. "I practice all the time with Alegra. She says it's a good skill to have to run away when we steal..."

"Not steal honey," Alegra corrected her, "Borrow without asking."

Naomi nodded.

"Really?" Arden asked.

"She boards?" Reagan pointed a shaking finger at Naomi. "She really boards?"

"It's an option," Orion began, "But I doubt other crews would agree."

Alegra shrugged. "Just suggesting here."

In that moment, Sahara heard her stomach growl. The twins both looked startled.

"What was that?" Arden asked.

Sahara lifted her hand in the air.

"Looks like someone's getting hungry," Reagan grinned.

Sahara nodded shyly.

"Shall we?" Alegra asked.

"We're not spending any money," Orion said firmly.

"Awe," both twins chorused.

"Come on!" Alegra protested.

Reagan turned to Sahara. "Mother!" he complained as he pointed a finger at Orion, "Uncle's being mean!"

Sahara grimaced. The twins had resorted to calling her 'mother' whenever they felt it was appropriate. Poor Terrell was suffering from a similar title. It looked like Orion had just received one too.

"Uncle?" Orion asked as he looked at Sahara in question.

Sahara turned to the twins. Not only they, but everyone in the group, even Terrell, seemed to have adopted her as the head. Often, when it came to making decisions and they couldn't agree, they would turn to her for the final say. It was something she was still trying to get used to.

"Maybe we should keep a tighter hold on the money," Sahara murmured.

"But...but you're hungry!" Reagan told her. His eyes widened. "We'll starve!" He turned to his brother and clutched his arm in desperation. "We're going to die from starvation!"

"I'll eat you before it comes to that," Arden told him calmly.

"Cannibalism!" Reagan yelled in horror as he sprang away, his hands on his head. "What have we created?"

Arden grinned as he made a lunge for his twin. Reagan let out a yell and made a run for it. Squealing with laughter, Naomi joined in the game of trying to catch Reagan.

"I've got a solution." Orion turned away from the twins and back to Sahara. "How about we go eat at Drake's Café ?"

"Sounds good to me," Alegra agreed.

"He'll have closed up," Sahara argued as she looked up at the darkening sky.

"You have a key," Orion replied.

He was right. Jack had entrusted Sahara with a virtual key, telling her that if she needed the café at some time then he was alright if she used it, as long as it didn't involve violence.

"He gives us two free meals every week," Orion continued. "We can just use tonight as one of them."

Sahara gave in.

"Someone should let Terrell know," as Arden's voice came from right behind her, Sahara jumped somewhat in surprise. He had given up chasing his twin after Naomi had reaching him first and now clung to his leg like a monkey. Every step Reagan took was difficult with the extra weight. Arden simply watched, seeming to enjoy watching his twin suffer.

"I'll IHM him," Orion told the others as he got on his board.

Alegra nodded in agreement, which surprised Sahara as the girl usually protested when it came to calling Terrell to join them.

"Reagan!" Arden yelled to his twin. "We're leaving!"

"Coming," Reagan responded. He was trying to shake a very persistent Naomi from his leg. In the end, he seemed to give up. "It's Blue!" he suddenly yelled pointing in a random direction. Naomi let go at once to search for her pet whale. Reagan took the opportunity to call his board over and jump on it; it too, like the other members, had a falcon on it amongst its other designs.

Reagan zoomed up beside his twin, looking back once to see Naomi still searching for the whereabouts of her whale. Alegra picked the girl up and plopped her on her board.

The group left, heading for Drake's café as planned. They arrived and Sahara let them in. The twins took over the kitchen and made a meal. Terrell, however, didn't turn up until they were done. The door opened and he walked through, a beanie hat pulled over his hair. His hands were stuffed into the pocket of his jacket which was once again zipped up so that it covered his mouth and part of his nose.

"Are you sick or something?" Alegra asked when she was the first to spot him.

The twins whirled around in their seats.

"Look! It's father!" Reagan chirped while Arden grinned mischievously.

Terrell glared at the twins, yet he made no move to attack as he walked up to the group. He slipped into the seat beside Sahara. He unzipped his jacket before he snatched the last piece of meat from Sahara's plate.

"Hungry?" Orion asked.

"Not really," Terrell replied. "I already ate." Nevertheless, he devoured the piece of meat as though he hadn't.

"Where?" Arden asked curiously.

Terrell shrugged. "Some random girl decided to pay dinner for me."

"That's why you took so long," Orion noted.

"You just ate the food some stranger gave you?" Alegra asked.

"Hey, she was paying so I didn't complain," Terrell replied.

Sahara bit her lip as she shot Terrell a glance. Having dinner bought for him by random girls was not even half of it. He seemed to be a magnet to the opposite gender, with the exception of Alegra. Sahara propped her chin in her hands. She didn't know why, but lately it bothered her.

"So," Terrell leaned back, "another win?"

"Why? It's not like you care," Alegra muttered.

"You should have seen her!" Reagan spoke up. "It was epic! She smoked that guy!"

Naomi had left Alegra's side and crawled under the table to get out. She now stood beside Terrell, trying to clamber onto his lap. Terrell held a hand to her forehead, persistently pushing her away while Naomi tried just as persistently to get past.

"I doubt it was that great," Terrell replied casually as with his free hand he grabbed what was left of Sahara's drink.

"So...did you bring it?"Orion asked.

Everyone leaned forward. Sahara was the only one confused. "Bring what?"

Terrell thumbed the glass down on the table. He motioned towards the door before getting up. Naomi was given one final push to the side. She stood there, hands on her hips as she pouted.

"This way," Terrell said as he led the way out of the café.

"What...?" Sahara never got to finish as the twins came up behind her and pushed her towards the door. They suddenly seemed super excited. Orion followed, as did Alegra, who pulled along a still pouting Naomi.

Terrell disappeared out of the door first. The twins followed, pushing Sahara out in front of them. Suddenly, one of them snaked his hands around her eyes.

"Guys?" Sahara had no idea what was going on. She heard the door close behind them as they stood in the street.

"Alright, let her see," Alegra told the guys.

"Ta-da!" Reagan exclaimed as the hands moved from Sahara's eyes.

She blinked before she caught sight of Terrell standing before her. He held a hover board out towards her. For a moment, Sahara wasn't sure what was going on.

"Take it, it's yours," Terrell told her as he handed it over.

Sahara was at a loss of words as she took it. She traced a hand across its smooth surface. It was a longer and narrower board, looking to be one built for speed. Its surface was an aqua blue with the familiar logo of a black falcon spread across its surface. Along the bottom Falcons was written in clear letters.

"We picked it out," Reagan was bouncing in excitement.

"I wanted the orange one," Naomi voiced in a tone that suggested she was still upset her choice hadn't been picked.

"Can't have a leader without her own board," Orion added.

"Guys..." Sahara felt tears brim in her eyes as she looked up. "It's wonderful."

"Jeeze." The twins suddenly looked embarrassed.

"No need to thank us," Alegra told Sahara. "You're the leader after all."

Without a word, Terrell walked up to Sahara. He took a hold of her arm. Sahara only watched as he began to set something on her bracelet.

"I've synced it. Try it now," he told her.

Sahara put the board down and switched it one. It buzzed softly as it hovered, swaying ever so slightly back and forth. Slowly, Sahara got onto it. It felt different than the bard she had been using. Somehow it just felt...lighter, as though it would respond to her slightest command. A grin alighted on her face. My very own board!

"So, how about we head out and get some sleep?" Orion asked.

Naomi yawned in response.

"Good idea," Alegra agreed.

"We should clean up," Sahara looked behind her at the café.

"You can do it in the morning," Terrell replied.

"No 'we'?" Alegra asked.

"I don't work there," Terrell replied.

"Right, you just pinch the money off the rest of us."

"It's called rent."

"It's called stealing."

"You would know," Terrell shot back. "What?" He added to Naomi who was tugging at his leg.

"I want to sit on your shoulders," she told him earnestly.

"No," Terrell turned away.

"Daddy!" Naomi squealed.

"You've got to be kidding me," Terrell growled. "The twerp's calling me that too?" He gave the twins a withering look and they simultaneously shrunk back.

"I want up!" Naomi told him as she held up her hands, wanting Terrell to pick her up.

"I said no."

Naomi's bottom lip quivered. She threw her head back. "Waaaaa!"

"Just pick her up already," Alegra told Terrell.

"You want me to board and have her on my shoulders?"

"Why not?"

"I'll break her!"

"So you do care?" Alegra raised an eyebrow.

Terrell glowered at her.

"We can walk," Orion, acting the peacekeeper, spoke up. "At least some of the way. I think It'll do us all some good."

Sahara didn't argue as she got off her board. Picking it up, she tucked it under her arm. Reagan stood to one side of her and Arden on the other.

"Do you like it?" Reagan asked eagerly.

"It's wonderful," Sahara replied with a smile.

"Told you it was the better choice," Arden told his brother. Reagan responded by sticking out his tongue.

The group left with Naomi happily sitting on a begrudging Terrell's shoulders. Orion and Alegra walked in silence while the twins tried to hit each other while avoiding Sahara, who was still between them.

From the shadows, four guys watched them go.

"That him?" one of the guys asked.

Another, who was wearing a hood so that his face was mostly hidden, nodded. Next to him stood another one, his face also unclear due to the shadows. He, too, was nodding. "Oh, I'll remember that face anywhere."

"Alright," the fourth guy cracked his knuckles. He began to walk forward. The hooded guy reached out and grabbed a hold of his arm, stopping him.

"Not yet," he turned and began to walk away. "Payback doesn't come that cheap." Suddenly he paused. "Soon," he said. "Soon it'll be time for payback." He spat into a corner. "I'm going to make you wish that you had never lived past the WIS virus."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98 43 13
Naomi West fled her wedding to the most feared billionaire of the state. Five years later, she has to come back home for work. But things take a diff...
12.7K 737 42
Via knows she shouldn't be thinking about Leo Valdez. He has a girlfriend whom he literally died for, a girlfriend who is so much better than Via in...
200K 9.2K 42
"Excuse me!" A loud obnoxious voice says from behind Arthur. The omega jumps in surprise quickly spinning around. "I'm so sorry sir! What would you l...
154 37 10
My journey through life, though seemingly effortless, is far from it. As an eighteen-year-old heiress of not one, but two crazy rich families, the we...