Memory of You

By Andene

What would you do if the one you loved couldn't remember you? It's been three years since she took the throne... More

Memory of You
An Excerpt From The Diary of A Queen...
Chapter Two: You Broke My Favorite Mug?!
Chapter Three: The Game of Revenge
Chapter Four: This Means War!
Chapter Five: Let The Mind Games Begin
Chapter Six: Memories
Chapter Seven: Secrets
Chapter Eight: Intervention? For What?
Chapter Nine: You've Met My Advisor...
Chapter Ten: What? Are You Checking Up On Me Here Too?
Chapter Eleven: The Uncalm Before The Storm
Chapter Twelve: The Waiting Game
Chapter Thirteen: Finished
Chapter Fourteen: Everyone Has A Dark Side
Chapter Fifteen: Twenty
Chapter Sixteen: Can't Get You Off My Mind
Chapter Seventeen: What If I...
Chapter Eighteen: What About Us
Chapter Nineteen: Promise Me...
Chapter Twenty: Not Mixing Business and Pleasure
Chapter Twenty One: The First of Many
Chapter Twenty Two: Unlearned Lessons
Chapter Twenty Three: A New Year Like No Other
Chapter Twenty Four: A Moment Of Peace
Chapter Twenty Five: To Be Young & Free
Chapter Twenty Six: This Is Where My Heart Takes Over
Chapter Twenty Seven: Future Past
Chapter Twenty Eight: You're Mine, & Mine Alone
Chapter Twenty Nine: The Dance of Masks
Chapter Thirty: And This Is Where It All Falls Apart
Chapter Thirty One: The Two of You Are Perfect, Because You're So Stubborn
Chapter Thirty Two: Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder
Chapter Thirty Three: Before It All Fades To Black
Chapter Thirty Four: I Won't Give Up
Chapter Thirty Five: Who Are You?
Chapter Thirty Six: Every Now & Then
Chapter Thirty Seven: Nothing Hurts Like You
Chapter Thirty Eight: Crying Out For Him
Chapter Thirty Nine: In Close Proximity
Chapter Forty: Into The Isle
Chapter Forty One: What Was Meant To Be
Chapter Forty Two: The Morning After Dark
Chapter Forty Three: Swimming In The Deep End
Chapter Forty Four: Bridging The Divide
Chapter Forty Five: Love of A Lifetime
Chapter Forty Six: Shouting From The Rooftops
Chapter Forty Seven: Begin Again
Chapter Forty Eight: Never Let Me Go
Chapter Forty Nine: All These Memories Of You
Chapter Fifty: The Last Night
Chapter Fifty One: This Is Where It All Goes To Hell
Chapter Fifty Two: I'll Take My Chances
Chapter Fifty Three: A Rose Among Thorns
Chapter Fifty Four: In A Blink Of An Eye
Chapter Fifty Five: The Last Preparations
Chapter Fifty Six: The Plains of Ryden
Chapter Fifty Seven: The Return of A Knight
Chapter Fifty Eight: It All Ends Here
Chapter Fifty Nine: Happily Ever After...
An Excerpt From The Diary of A Queen...
Epilogue

Chapter One: So Number 50326...You Are?

146 5 3
By Andene

Chapter One: So Number 50326...You Are?

"Why did I agree to do this again?" Alexandra complained, as she sat down at the dining table.

"You were the one who said she didn't want another idiot cook who only knows how to char food. Besides, you're doing this to show the country that employment at the castle goes through a fair and just system." Sophia replied with a little smirk. "It was your idea, Alex."

Some days I wish I could wipe that smirk of her face, Alexandra thought viciously, gathering the skirts of her gown so that they wouldn't get stuck under her chair.

"Why didn't you just ask your brother to work here?" Alexandra inquired. "Didn't you say he graduated from culinary school in Airidia?"

"I forgot to ask. Besides, I haven't spoken to him for a while, I only found out he was coming back here when my parents told me." Her Lady-in-Waiting replied. "And you were the one who wanted to be fair, remember?"

Sophia was the same age as Alexandra. With long auburn hair and deep blue-green eyes, she and Alexandra both looked similar and were average height. Something that came in useful at times. Alexandra on the other hand had golden brown eyes rimmed with green flecks, her long auburn hair was usually tied back.

"Yes...I remember..." Alexandra mumbled with annoyance. "How could I forget with you around."

In front of her were a number of dishes, each with a placard containing a number. Sophia handed her a clipboard with a sheet containing the same numbers, and a space for comments.

"So we narrowed it down to the top 50, huh?" Alexandra said wearily, eying the food as her guards came into the dining hall.

"Yup. Looks like you're going to be fattened up, Alex." Mark commented, as he walked up to her.

"Shut up."

"How will you make it to the meeting with the Lower House, O Queen of Seraphine?" Valek asked bowing down, a grin coming over his face.

Between the two of them, they had a comedy show running, Alexandra thought. The only thing was, their jokes made fun of her.

Mark and Valek had been the heads of her security since before she became queen. The two of them were eight years older than her, and formed the Three Musketeers with Sophia's brother Nicholas... behind their backs, Alexandra and Sophia would snicker about them as the Three Stooges.

Both were tall and lean, but Alexandra knew that both could pack quite a punch when it came to protecting her. Mark's soft features of bright blue eyes with brown hair, sharply contrasted with Valek's almost whitish blond hair and green eyes.

"Anyway, we'll leave you to do what you do best." Valek snickered causing Alexandra to glare, as Mark started to leave.

"Where do you think you two are going?" She asked them.

"Make rounds, do our duty. You know, top secret guard stuff." Mark replied.

"Nope...you three are stuck here until we select the best dish." Alexandra smirked, as the Sophia and the two boys groaned. "Who's laughing now?"

-----

"Okay so are we all agreed that from all the dishes number 50326 was the best one?" Valek asked after they had spent an hour deliberating.

"Yes. That is the only good plate I've eaten." Alexandra concurred.

"Yes, I'm actually surprised how the other dishes tasted so...bland..." Sophia commented.

"So, now that we're done here, do you mind following me to the meeting room. The lords are going to be waiting for you." Mark said, getting up from the table.

"Fine, but Valek..." Alexandra turned to the other guard.

"Yes, Alex."

"Go fetch 50326...hopefully dinner will be better than Tom's burnt chicken!"

"How can you still think of food after all this?" Mark exclaimed.

"It's dinner...and besides it's the only thing to cheer me up after going to THAT meeting..." Alexandra replied, narrowing her eyes. She knew it was her duty, but sometimes those meetings left her with a bad taste. Especially if HE decided to show up.

"Alright, I'll send someone for your new chef, now go to your meeting." Valek told her, sounding very parental. "You know it's surprising how thin you are, compared to how much I see you eat!"

"Shut up!"

-----

Having been summoned to the castle, he was surprised when he was asked which quarters he would like to use. Amazed that it was available he selected one that was familiar to him and settled in to the space.

"Her Majesty has asked for you." A messenger said, knocking on his open door.

"Of course...I'm coming." He replied.

Combing through his brown hair using his hand, he gave himself one last look in the mirror on the wall. His steel colored eyes shined back at him.

A part of him wondered if he was doing the right thing by coming to this place. None of his family or friends knew he had come back. How would they react?

I guess it's time to find out, he thought walking out of his room.

-----

"Please tell me that dinner is coming soon?" Alexandra slumped into her chair.

The meeting with the lords had gone longer than she had expected, luckily HE had not come this time.

"Looks like it's here, Alex." Valek told her, as the doors from the kitchen opened.

"So number 50326...you are?" Alexandra asked, as she looked down on the sheet with details of the chef.

"Nicholas Devereux..." Stunned by the voice and seeing the name on the papers, Alexandra looked up.

"Nick?" "Brother?" Mark, Valek, and Sophia all said simultaneously.

"You took part in the competition? How come you never told me?" Alexandra watched as Sophia confronted her brother.

"I wasn't sure I would even get the job, so I didn't want to get your hopes up. Besides...the whole point was to get the job fairly...right Your Highness." His steely grey eyes looked up at her.

It was the first time she was seeing him, after he had left the country to go study the culinary arts in Airidia, shortly before her coronation.

"You can still call me Alex...it's easier to remember who I know works here...and stuff..." She mumbled, still stunned at the coincidence.

Putting a plate of pasta in front of her, Alexandra looked up at him. He looked the same as when he'd left…just a little older and perhaps wiser. He was about as tall as Mark and Valek. For a moment she remembered when they were children; she had fallen down the castle's spiral staircase, Nicholas had found her crying and helped her up after wiping her tears.

"Well...I hope you enjoy dinner, your Highness...err...I mean Alex. I made lasagna, since I remembered how much you and Sophie loved it."

Shaking away the thoughts she watched him go back to the other two boys. She was unsure of what to say to him.

"As long as you don't burn anything…we're good." She told him, only to receive a grin.

Author's Note:

He? He who? You'll see soon enough!

Sorry about the short first chapter, I tried to make up for it by combining it with the diary entry. It's a very basic introduction to the story. All five main characters are present, and as we go along you will get to view parts of the story from each of their points of view. I promise this does get better! The chapters from here on in will be much longer, with more developments. I hope you'll give 'Memory of You' a chance. From what I've written so far, I've tried to make sure there is humor, action, adventure, a bit of mystery/intrigue, and of course romance and heart break. Things will be picking up in the next chapter, and instead of making you all wait an undetermined amount of time...I will post it on Sunday, June 23rd. (In keeping with my traditional Sunday posts...lol!)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this short glimpse into the story. Please read and review, it would mean the world to me! =D

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Xx Andene

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

330 48 22
Alexandra is a fierce yet lively princess. She is athletic and has been raised as a prince, with the same education and military training. Alexandra...
3.7K 1.7K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
535 35 29
A new chapter each day In a world where business and personal complexities collide, Alex, Max and David find themselves entangled in a delicate dance...