The Maze Triangle

By 99Unicorn_3

My name is Cathleen. I have big grey eyes and shoulder-length brown hair. I am probably seventeen-ish and I'm... More

1. It's a girl
2. So what is this place?
3. I don't think she likes us very much
4. I could get lost if I got the chance
5. I've seen the look
6. Name's Cathleen
8. The Healing Powers 1/2
9. Healing Powers 2/2
10. A Heroine
11. We're going to the Maze
12. Don't call me that
13. The big day
14. Is this the way out?
15. The End...or not?

7. Welcome to the Glade

163 4 1
By 99Unicorn_3

Last few days were hectic, there's no other way to describe it.  As soon as the sun rose, Newt told everyone my name and they all kinda celebrated for me.  It felt actually very nice to be called by my name and not only a Green bean, or something. Tho Thomas said he was hurt because I woke up Newt to share this news with instead of him, but I promised him next time I remember something long forgotten, he'll know it first. And then he was off to the maze together with Minho and two other runners. I have to admit it felt weird, wrong even to let Thomas go somewhere out there. Newt said I'll get use to it, and then he sent me off with Chuck to try and find my "specialization" in glade.

And it went kinda like this:

Day one; I tried it with builders. I mean, it was fun trash around with a hammock, but at the end of the day Gally, unfortunately the keeper of all the builders, said that he likes me and thinks I'm cute (well, thank you very much!) but he also said that if he ever sees me anywhere near the hammock again, he'll lock me up in a pit. Which I don't want to, so I stay as far away from the builders as possible.

Day two; they sent me to peasants.  And so far I liked it and I thought I'm naturally talented when it comes to taking care of flowers, wheet and such. But as much as Netw probably likes me, he as the keeper said he'll do some bloody shuck-something to my ass if I ever try to touch his machete and cut some grapevine again. He actually hurt my feelings! But he gave me his apple at dinner, so we're good again.

Day three; it took only five minutes for me to realize I'll never, ever go back to the slaughterhause. I mean, all the smell and blood and all that bloody things.  Winston laughed when I came up running out from there green in face and bravely emptied my stomach in front of the gladers. So, no slaughterhouse for this gal.

Day four; it's actually today, so I don't know yet if I'll be any good at what they asigned me to. It's the "Med-Jacks." Actually, they're just two guys who try to help others if something goes wrong. They try, but I think if something really bad happened, they'd be helpless. So today, afrer breakfast, I'll start with them.

But right now, me, Newt and Thomas are standing in front of the closed gates. It will open in about five minutes. Minho, Ben and Chosè still need to show up.

"Is it safe if you go?" I ask; the presence of sleep still noticible in my voice. I pressurised Thomas to promise me he will wake me up every day before he goes to the maze.  And so far, he has kept his promise. I know there's nothing that me being awake could prevent him from, but I still want to see him go and then come back again. I mean, I really like this boy. And his hugs before we part our ways to go sleep every night. I mean, he's muscular and it really feels nice and safe to be surrounded by his strong arms. I don't want him to go there again, I have a very bad feeling about it.

"It's as safe as ever, Cath. Don't you worry, I have Minho to safe my ass," he smirks and I punch his shoulder lightly.  Then, out of the blue, I lean closer to him and peck his cheek. This is new!

"Be careful, ok? Be safe, Tom."

From the look on his face I can tell he's taken aback. But a small smile slowly creeps on his lips, and his eyes have a mischevious look. "I will be, Cath." He smiles again and then turns to Newt who is watching us with furrowed eyebrows. "Won't you kiss me good-luck, Newtie?"

I try to keep a pockerface when Newt slowly picks his head up, and stares at Thomas. I swear, for a moment there I thought he'll punch him, and punch him hard. But to my surprise, Newt leans to the other boy and, against all odds, he hugs him. I can't hear what they're saying, but when Newt pulls away, his eyes are glossy and Tom has a serious look on his face. Before they can do or say something else, the other three runners arrive.

"How was your sleep, sweetheart?" I laugh at Minho and say something clever like, "Goodie, yours?" and the older runner grins. I kinda like this Asian boy, he's sassy. Plus he's not treating me as a weak girl like the others, Minho treats me like one of the gladers already.
I wish him and the others good luck, and when the gates open with a loudl crackling, they're off to the maze.

Newt and I keep looking into the long, dark corridor for a little longer, before Newt takes my hand and pulls me away. For some reason, I really really want to go to the maze too. It's like there are two parts of me from which one wants to do something rebelious, and the other wants to hole up under the blanket and stay there for ever.

"What did you say to him?"

"That I want him to be safe."

"Just that? Nothing more? Oh come oooon, Newt! I need some details! I'm a girl, we like stuff like that!"

He looks over at me and laughs. He's really handsome when his eyes sparkle with joy like right now. "Okay, I'll tell you. But can you keep a secret?" He asks me seriously, and I narrow my eyes at him. Is he joking? I can do a lot of things, but I'm somehow sure I cannot keep a secret. At least Thomas will know from me, but then again, he already does so I guess we're safe on this one.

"Your secret's safe with me," I say seriously and try not to laugh. "Okay, now tell me."

"Well," he starts and leans closer to me. Everyone around us is still asleep; it's too early in the morning. We're basicaly alone at the edge of the forest. It's still pretty chilly outside, but I swear the cool air is not why I have goose bumps all over my body. It's Newt, leaning in on me, his lips nearly brusing over my ear. I feel hot and cold at the same time. "You wanna know what I told him?" His whisper sents shivers down my spine.

"Yeah," I whisper as I shiver at the sound of his voice. His hot breath brushes over my skin like a butterfly wings.

"I told him exactly this, 'be bloody careful, Tommy.'" I wait few more seconds for him to continue, but Newt starts to laugh and I finally realize he was only playing with me.

"You're so dead, shank!" And I jump on him; his laughing body goes to the ground pretty easily. We keep laughing and rolling around, trying to stay on top each other. He's stronger than me, but he's letting me win over him a little. It makes me happy, that I have him pinned down. I take both his arms and pin them above his head, and sitting astride his body I lean on him.

"Never play around with a gal, Newtie," I say as I wrap my fingers around his wrists. Newt just keeps laughing.

"Cath, you're ... so bloody funny!" He keeps laughing, his whole body shaking underneath me.

"Very funny. Ha. Ha." I press him to the ground again and I try to catch my breath. "I think I need to punish you," I add and look him in the eye.

Newt's still laughing, but not so hard anymore. His laugh subdues to just occasional chuckle, and his chest is heaving lightly.  The glint in his eyes is something I haven't seen yet. He's happy. In this moment, Newt is happy and that is probably something that doesn't happen very often here in the Glade.

"What will be my punishment, love?"

"Maybe I'll kiss you," I stick out my tongue at him. I'm not serious, but I'm completely against thoughts like these. At this, Newt's laugh dies altogether and his chest starts going up and down in a very fast motion. Under my fingers I can feel his blood rushing through his veins.

"Newt?"

Nothing; he just keeps looking at me, breathing fast.

"Newtie?"

"Maybe that won't be such a bad punishment for a bad boy like me." His eyes are glued to mine, and ever so slowly they move down my face, over my nose and to my lips. My own breath catches in my throat and my heart is beating like crazy. I was just joking, but now I really want to lean down and touch his lips with mine. I really, really want it. My first real kiss that I could remember.

"You know," he says a little hoarsely, "you have lips, and I have lips. And we could ... you know, use them."

I swallow and close my eyes for a second. I try to control my heartbeat, but it's impossible. When I open my eyes again, hoping to see Newt laughing at how he played me again, I find him looking at my lips still.

"Why the bloody hell no," I whisper right before I lean down and connect my lips with his.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N: So, it happened. They kissed, and poor Thomas is completely oblivious running the maze down. Huh.

Guys, I just really want to thank you for reading this story! I wasn't expecting so many reads so soon and it really makes me happy! I know I'm getting slower with updates, but I'm a working person and a full-time-auntie to a seventh month old baby girl, so I kinda have to split my time among a lot of activities. But I'll try to post more often!

Please, comment and vote so I know your thoughts on this story! 🌸

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97K 2.7K 30
Featured in the official Wattpad @Fanfic Maze Runner Fanfiction reading list Watch Talia's journey being in the Maze. Despite her tragedies, and...
947 24 13
y/n arrives into the maze being the only girl ever. y/n and newt start to get close as time progresses. she starts to get her memories back when th...
4.2K 193 7
𝑰𝑡 𝑾𝑯𝑰π‘ͺ𝑯. . . Evelyn faces the challenges of being a teenager, all while her and her friends have to save everyone from the end of the world...
106K 3K 19
* disclaimer : this is a The Maze Runner fanfiction. The Maze Runner belongs to James Dashner* "Welcome to Wonderland greenie" The sandy blonde says...