7. Welcome to the Glade

Last few days were hectic, there's no other way to describe it.  As soon as the sun rose, Newt told everyone my name and they all kinda celebrated for me.  It felt actually very nice to be called by my name and not only a Green bean, or something. Tho Thomas said he was hurt because I woke up Newt to share this news with instead of him, but I promised him next time I remember something long forgotten, he'll know it first. And then he was off to the maze together with Minho and two other runners. I have to admit it felt weird, wrong even to let Thomas go somewhere out there. Newt said I'll get use to it, and then he sent me off with Chuck to try and find my "specialization" in glade.

And it went kinda like this:

Day one; I tried it with builders. I mean, it was fun trash around with a hammock, but at the end of the day Gally, unfortunately the keeper of all the builders, said that he likes me and thinks I'm cute (well, thank you very much!) but he also said that if he ever sees me anywhere near the hammock again, he'll lock me up in a pit. Which I don't want to, so I stay as far away from the builders as possible.

Day two; they sent me to peasants.  And so far I liked it and I thought I'm naturally talented when it comes to taking care of flowers, wheet and such. But as much as Netw probably likes me, he as the keeper said he'll do some bloody shuck-something to my ass if I ever try to touch his machete and cut some grapevine again. He actually hurt my feelings! But he gave me his apple at dinner, so we're good again.

Day three; it took only five minutes for me to realize I'll never, ever go back to the slaughterhause. I mean, all the smell and blood and all that bloody things.  Winston laughed when I came up running out from there green in face and bravely emptied my stomach in front of the gladers. So, no slaughterhouse for this gal.

Day four; it's actually today, so I don't know yet if I'll be any good at what they asigned me to. It's the "Med-Jacks." Actually, they're just two guys who try to help others if something goes wrong. They try, but I think if something really bad happened, they'd be helpless. So today, afrer breakfast, I'll start with them.

But right now, me, Newt and Thomas are standing in front of the closed gates. It will open in about five minutes. Minho, Ben and Chosè still need to show up.

"Is it safe if you go?" I ask; the presence of sleep still noticible in my voice. I pressurised Thomas to promise me he will wake me up every day before he goes to the maze.  And so far, he has kept his promise. I know there's nothing that me being awake could prevent him from, but I still want to see him go and then come back again. I mean, I really like this boy. And his hugs before we part our ways to go sleep every night. I mean, he's muscular and it really feels nice and safe to be surrounded by his strong arms. I don't want him to go there again, I have a very bad feeling about it.

"It's as safe as ever, Cath. Don't you worry, I have Minho to safe my ass," he smirks and I punch his shoulder lightly.  Then, out of the blue, I lean closer to him and peck his cheek. This is new!

"Be careful, ok? Be safe, Tom."

From the look on his face I can tell he's taken aback. But a small smile slowly creeps on his lips, and his eyes have a mischevious look. "I will be, Cath." He smiles again and then turns to Newt who is watching us with furrowed eyebrows. "Won't you kiss me good-luck, Newtie?"

I try to keep a pockerface when Newt slowly picks his head up, and stares at Thomas. I swear, for a moment there I thought he'll punch him, and punch him hard. But to my surprise, Newt leans to the other boy and, against all odds, he hugs him. I can't hear what they're saying, but when Newt pulls away, his eyes are glossy and Tom has a serious look on his face. Before they can do or say something else, the other three runners arrive.