3. I don't think she likes us very much

"And ... that's pretty much it." Thomas grabs his hands and pulls onto his fingers. We are standing on the small hill, right under the forest, and the Glade is beneath us in all its glory. I have my arms wrapped around me as I watch the boys, gladers, down there. Thomas, as the last incoming before me, was assigned to show me around and tell me a brief history of this place. I thought it will be confusing at first, but all in all it is pretty simple.

This place is called Glade. The boys who live here are gladers. Neither of them has any memory before coming here, except their names. They live here, they build their homes, they grow their own vegetable and they have a few animals they use for meat. The walls are here to protect them from what's behind them, but they also keep them inside. Behind those walls is some huge maze with no way out. The gladers live here for last two years. And there was never a girl before me.

Like I said, it's simple.

"So, who puts us here?"

Thomas scratches his neck and sits down into the grass. I follow his example, and once again hug my knees. "We don't know. We call them creators, because, you know, someone had to create this place, right?" Absentmindedly I nod. "We have three rules, Greenie," Thomas continues and I look at him. His skin is a light shade of brown; I guess it's from the sun. His hair is messy, and his clothes are dirty. But still he is handsome; Beautiful in a meanly way. I like his eyes. They are brown, and there is a lot of life behind them.

"Don't call me Greenie," I say, and I pull my hair behind my ears. I wish I had a hair tie or something.

"Well, you don't remember your name yet. What should I call you?"

"I ... don't know." Admitting this makes me remember that I still have no idea who I am. "Just don't call me Greenie, please."

Thomas smiles at me, and nods. "Okay, but let's get back to the rules. Alby, the dark-skinned dude who orders us around insists on keeping them. Rule #1: take your part here, no free party ride. Rule #2: never hurt another glader. We only have each other here, and we keep each other safe. But most importantly, rule #3: never, ever goes beyond those walls." With his last words he turns his gaze to the gray stone walls. I follow his gaze, and I got a goose bumps.

"Why?"

"Why what, Green-you," he chuckles and I make a face. I think Thomas is not that bad after all. I feel comfortable around him. "Are you asking me about the rule #3? Well, it's simple. Behind those walls awaits death."

After his words fade into the light breeze, I can't say a word. Here's he is telling me that we will die if we go beyond those walls, and yet it is not so long ago when I saw three boys coming back from out there. When I ask about it, he tells me that those boys are called runners and that they are the only ones who is allowed to go there. By the way, Thomas is one of the runners.

"I have to go now, but you can find me later, okay?" With this, he stands up and brushes his already dirty pants. "I'm going to be in that building," he shows his hand towards one of the buildings down in the glade, and I nod. It's short building with with a straw roof. "You'll be fine? If you need anything, go find Newt, he'll help you." He gives me a last smile, and then he turns his back to me and leaves me. And I can't even say how glad I am that he does.

I have so much on my mind, I need a moment alone. Until now I didn't have time to think. So much has happened since I opened my eyes few hours ago and found myself in that cage. I didn't realize before how scared I was since the first moment. Only now, when I'm safe, do I understand that I could have died there, that I could not be here. A single tear runs down my cheek and I don't bother to whip her. I let her fall down freely, and not long after another tear follows.

I'm stuck in a square shaped place with a bunch of teenage dudes, and obviously there's no way out of here. A quite sob escapes my lips, and I put a hand to my mouth to stop any other sounds from coming out. I fight the urge to cry, but I lose the battle. My tears fall freely now, landing in the dirty grass.

I hear steps behind me. I rose to my feet and quickly turn around. I try to dry my cheeks as I look around. "Who's there?"

"Slim it, Greenie." I take a step back as Gally steps out from the trees. I don't like the look on his face, but then again maybe it's only his eyebrows.

"What do you want?"

"Easy, 'm not gonna hurt you. I'm just curious, you see? I've never seen a girl before. Or at least I don't remember seeing one."

"Yeah? Well, you see one now."

"I sure do," he smirks again and I want to punch his face. "Well, you shouldn't be here all alone. Thomas should know better."

"Why's that?" I ask, curious now. "Because I'm a girl? That's why? Well, let me tell you something, Gally." I point my finger at him, feeling all brave all of a sudden. "I'm not scared of you, and I can take of myself, even though I'm only a girl."

"Easy, okay? I'm not gonna hurt you. We've got orders, anyway. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if I scared you down there before."

I'm taken aback by his admission. I was expeting a fight, and yet here he is, apologizing? Okay, this place's getting weirder by the minute.

"Okay?" I say, unsure. "Uhm, so, can I go now?"

"Sure, I'm not gonna hold you here." And the smirk is back. I feel more comfortable now again.

"Good." I walk bravely towards him. "Remember, Gally, if you try something, I will kick your trunk again." And with that I walk past him, with my heart beating like crazy. I hear him laughing behind me, but I keep going. I am a great actress, the courage was all fake. I feel sick to my stomach. As soon as I'm out of his sight, deep in between the trees, I pull over and finally, I let it all go.

As I empty the nonexistent contents of my stomach, I cry.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I know that those of you who have read the books or watched the movies kinda don't like Gally. I mean, he's a jerk right? But in this story I want to show you some parts of this unique-shaped-eyebrows guy. I hope you will like him here better than I personally liked him in The Maze Runner movie #1