A Gypsy woman.

By Gypsylady

“here.” He sighs reaching into his pocket. “Let me!” he groans like he’s frustrated to have to come to my res... More

A Gypsy woman.
Chapter two
Chapter three
chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter six.
Chapter seven.
Chapter eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter ten.
Chapter eleven.
chapter twelve

Chapter one.

628 5 9
By Gypsylady

CHAPTER ONE

You know those mornings when you wake up and everything just seems right in the world. The birds outside are singing. The trees around you sway, and the sun looks up over hills and just smiles at you, as if to say “everything is going to be fine!” 

That was my morning. I woke up early the sun shining through the Red Canvas of my tent.  I’d stretched and smiled as I smelled the morning air. Filled with wild flowers, and dew, and the antagonizing smell of some mother’s morning meal.

I lifted myself up of my little bed, and reached over for the mirror. The sacred glass, framed by Intricate vines of gold and little blue birds singing on the rim. I smile at this mirror, and inhale the scent of it.

I hold on to it, because it was my mothers.  Every day she’d wake up, look into and make a wish on the thing.  She was convinced it was magic you see.  I’d love for her to tell me the story of how she got it, when I was a girl.

She’d said my father had gotten it for her, on the day they’d met, they’d been walking and laughing together for hours down town where the gypsy rule the pubs and bars, and they had passed a gypsy woman. A fortune teller. My mother had stopped in front of her. “Buy me a vision?” she had said. But he had laughed. “You believe in this?” He had asked mocking. She gave him an annoyed look and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Don’t you?” she’d challenged.  He’d scoffed. “I am gypsy! I know a con when I see one! Magic, visions, fortunes there all cons!” he says. She’d pursed her lips. “It is no con sir! I assure you!” she’d said angrily. And he’d seen the fierceness in her eyes and out of seer intimidation paid for not only her fortune told, but the magical mirror from the woman. It wasn’t a traditionally romantic story, but it was the perfect story for them.

She’d held onto that mirror long after He’d left, and wished into it every day. And I’d I keep the tradition alive.

Today’s wish, was simple, That Dee would give me my chance today. That I’d succeed in whatever job I’d get, and that Lian will be back soon.

It kills me when he is away. he Is my ‘cousin” my family in the metaphorical sense, as all the people In our Clan are “cousins” and family. We are proud Gypsies, we are Italians and we are in the greatest sense family.

We stay together! We help one another and Ban together against those who threaten our way of life.

 Lately there have been more threats on our land.  The people who look down on us, the city-dwellers, they say we do not own this land. They threaten to force us out, any way they can.

It has not escalated to violence yet, but I fear it may soon come to that.

That is why I spend every hour of night I can sitting outside my tent by the fire, looking out past the hills for Emilian. The boy I have known since birth. The very son of our Great leader himself.  I look back at my reflection then and pray to my sweet wishing mirror that he will come back safely! And soon.

This is my daily wish, and has been every day that he has been gone.

I Delicately place My mirror back into My trunk and pull myself out of my bed, to find my way out of my tent.

As I open the flap of my little home, I am welcomed by the busyness of my home.

People walk by my door smiling. Women carrying baskets, men off to work in town, and children playing rousing games of tag amongst themselves.

I smile as Timo, and his little brother Seva walk past. I crouch behind them as they walk, they haven’t noticed me yet and I take this opportunity I can to pay these boys back for all the trouble they cause me.

I continue to follow them unnoticed waiting for the perfect moment to strike. And then I get it as they sneakily walk in-between the Old lady’s herbal caravan, and luca’s liquor tent.

I hide behind the corner, Watching as they whisper. There surly up to something! I see them looking around all worried. And smile wickedly to myself.

I tip toe up to them, my bare toes sliding across the fine dirt of the ground silently.

Until I’m just around the corner from where there hiding. And then I Pop out from my spot screaming “bahhh!”

There terror is real and absolutely worth the disturbed Stairs I get form the passersby.

Timo has actually jumped behind his Little brother for protection.  And is the last of the two to recognize me.

I have to hold on to my knee’s I’m laughing so hard.

“Got you back!” I cry. “I told you I would! And now I have!  I may be a thief but I’m still a woman of my word! ” I joke with a wink. He doesn’t think it’s funny though.  that much is clear to see on his tan slightly dirty face as he scowles back at me humorlessly.

Timo steps out from behind his brother with a look of irritation. His hands find their way to his sides as he stands waiting for me angrily to stop laughing so he could scold me. 

“No fair cacia we didnt scare you that bad we demand a pay back.!” he says with a boldness that seems out of place in a boy so thin and small.  I stop laughing but keep a wry smile on my lips as i shake a finger at him. 

“ Oh no you little rat! You put a duck inside my tent I'd say i'm still owed a the very least another sneak attack!”

By the sound of our conversation you may note that the boys I’m speaking too are well under ten.

And you may suspect that I am as well. And you’d be wrong.

I’m nineteen as of two months ago, and have apparently yet to grow out of childish games.

Or so I’m told my aunt Eva. who says as much with pursed lips and a heavy sigh. 

the dear old lady has taken to looking after me ever since my mama died. She was the only one left to raise me, with my father gone so long before I was old enough to miss him. 

“watch your back cacia! We'll  be getting even when you least expect it too!”  Timo says with all the menace and fright of a baby kitten, with his little skinny fingers pointing eerily at me.

I smile and give him a wink. “We’ll see.” I say with a light little chuckle before leaving them to whatever mischief I had interrupted.

You see the difference between gypsies and common folk, is we encourage mischief in our young! We are by tradition and reputation, thieves and con-men.  though its not all we do its deffinately where we get our fame. 

This is the legacy we pass on to our children, we teach them to pick pocket and scam. And we have no shame in this! It is our right as the poor, as the frowned upon, the outcasts of society it is our only way to survive. To help ourselves any way we can.

We are strong! And we are sneaky! And I am proud to be a gypsy. And I can only wish I can carry on the legacy of my ancestors. And not in the way most women would!

I do not belong in the back of a caravan! I was not meant to serve a husband as is tradition in my family. I was born to make my way in the world, to work and bring honor to my family. 

But this is difficult. This is a sensitive subject between me and Dee. With whom I have a better relationship than most others in our little family.

Because of My connections to his son of course, and for my talents as a child.

You see there is one more thing I feel I must explain, the Gypsies are all for girls working as children, of course! Why waist those innocent eyes and air of angelic perfection when you can use it to con easily those dim witted enough to simply trust a pair of wide eyes and a small voice.

But once you’re a woman, once you turn 19 you are expected to give up the work, you must ready yourself for marriage and child bearing for the betterment and future of the family!

 It is bred into us as children, the place of a woman. Who we must be and what we must do. We have our roles and we tend to accept them silently and without fight.

But I am not as most girls are.  There is an unease within my soul! An urge for adventure and reckless fun!

It has been hard however to convince Dee to let me pursue my ambitions. However close I may be to him, I am not close enough to be unfearful of his wrath.

I dare not test him, for after all, he is the king of thieves, and as the head of our family, he has done things in the past to keep us safe.

He is to be respected! He is to be feared and treated as the highest order around here.

His word is final! His opinion key! And his wrath fearsome! He can banish you! Leave you out on the curb with nothing!  And you are nothing without family! That is a value we are bred into and one we hold close to our hearts!  Only the desperate leave, and only the taboo are kicked out.

But here I go down the rows of carriages and tents to his Great Violet patched up tend at the end of our lane. I walk slowly, trying to gain courage. For I’m going to risk today my place in this family I so love. Of course I’m going to do it the right way.

In my pocket I have two thousand Dollars, my life’s savings. I plan on paying it to Dee as my respect, hoping this will gain me at least consideration for my plee.

As I get closer to the tent door, I see the two Men standing outside of his home watching, and guarding.

I take a moment to get myself presentable. I looked down at my bright red skirt the thin patched fabric falling in waves down to my feet. It was a bit dirty, I tried to dust it off as best I could.

I then took attention to my top, the flowing white sleeves looked a little tan from age and wear.

And My hair, god my hair, Long and black and as always just a little messy. I wasn’t worried, it was a common style in gypsy camp. Messy braids here and there, waves hanging down my bag and one precise braid on the left side, with the Ribbon Lian had gotten me tied perfectly.

I inhaled deeply and called on that ribbon to give me strength as I stepped forward.

Within a few steps I was stopped by the powerful arm of a large man I knew well.

“Good morning Eli!” I say brightly looking up at him with an innocent smile.

He matches it with his own nearly toothless one.

“Morning my Sprite! Having a lovely day I hope?” he says keeping his arm up.

He calls me sprite because everyone dose. Because that’s what my mother called me. She said the day I was born she looked in my eyes and said I had the beauty of a sprite, like a mythical woodland sprite, I didn’t even need the wings, my eye’s held magic in themselves.

So as he uses this pet name, my heart is stabbed with the memory of my long since passed but impossible to forget mother.

“Be lovelier if you’d let me in to see Dee” I say batting my lashes at him. He laughs and hold a hand to his heart as If he’s been hit with a bullet.

“Oh my dear girl you be careful with that stare! You could kill a man!” he says laughing.

“Precisely!” I say with a wiggle of my eye brows.  He looks down at me for a moment, getting serious suddenly.

“Why do you need to speak with Dee? You in trouble?” he asks with fatherly worry. I smile and roll my eyes at this. He is so protective, believes himself to be my father just because he and my mother had a thing before she was betrothed to my dad! I don’t mind it though, it’s comforting to know that someone worries.

But I won’t let him know this! No I shall remain deceptively annoyed with it.

“No, no trouble just got some business to deal that’s all.” His eyes stare me down suspiciously. And for a moment I’m worried he won’t let me in.  But I guess he just can’t resist and moves to go inside.

“Give me a minuet, I’ll tell him you’re here.” He sighs as he enters.

I nod and Obey, taking in a shaky hard breath when he returns. “He’ll see you now.” he says looking at me anxiously.

I Stop before I go in, placing a hand on his arm. “No worries my friend! I know what I’m doing!” I whisper. He gives me a reluctant smile in reply.

“So you keep sayin.” He mumbles right as I enter. I know what he’s referring to, But I can’t think on that right now, I need to stay confidant, I need to stay sure, I can’t think about mistakes, If I want victory.

The tent is big, more like a real building than anything, there are cloths hanging from the supporting wood separating off the space into rooms.

As I go past the second set of doors, which is two Burgundy clothes hanging down. I spot him, and his two Favorite guys, his brother Ivan, and his right hand man Kilos. These men I know to be dangerous just like Dee.  The sight of these men cause my palms to sweat. Deep down I know I’m safe, I know there family, I know how close I am to these people. And yet I also know what they are capable of. And this is what frightens me.

Dee I am closer too, Dee I trust, but I am not stupid I’m still weary and watchful! For I may be on his good side now, but that may chance once he figures out why I’m here.

“MY Dear sweet Cacia! How are you my darling? Faring well in your new home I hope?” Dee asks walking up to me with outstretched arms.

I smile and laugh as he encloses me in a hug.  “Yes, very comfortable, except of course for the duck problem.” I say joking to ease the tension only I seem to feel.

He looks at me for a moment, as if I’m insane. But then realization hits him, and he laughs. “Ha Timo! That boy may just be more trouble than he’s worth!” he says laughing slowly ushering me to a table with his hand on my back gently pushing me to a seat.

I comply with his wishes and take a seat wordlessly smiling at his joke.  

“You may be right about that! I was picking feathers out of my hair for days!’ I say. Gaining another fit of laughter from this man. But the laughter feels insincere. And though he smiles there is always that layer of menace behind it.

I am turned away from my thoughts as I noticed His laughter had stopped. He was now staring at me quietly looking me over.

“So…” he starts leaning forward to me. “Why have you called upon me so early On this fine day?”

“Yes! Uh, the reason I’m here Dee… is to get your approval ultimately. Just well…” I’m having trouble speaking. I’m breaking under the hidden tension filling this air. I’m stammering, something I don’t know that I’ve ever done.

And it strikes me then, how different this man is from his son. This man with his hidden evil, and his son so open and bright. It made me wonder how they were related.

“I’m sorry! I’m just nervous.” I say wipeing my sweaty hands on my skirt.

He smiles a halfhearted smile. “I think I know why my dear.” He says leaning away from me.

I look at him confused. Searching his face for hints and finding none. “You do?” I ask.

“Of course! I am an observant man my girl! I know what you’ve been after.”

I let out a sigh of relief. “Great because I was hoping…”

He stops me then, dead in my tracks, he holds up a hand.

“I understand why you’re here, and I must say I do not approve! You know our culture Cacia, you know our ways and still you come here to convince me to defy tradition? To go against our ways?” his works bring my face to a frown.

“I’m disappointed in you Cacia, you who had so much promise would come to me, to ask for so much?” he sighs and shakes his head at me.

I pull my eyes to the floor shamed by this man’s words. “I know I’m sorry Dee…I was just… desperate I guess.” I whisper shaking my head at myself.

“I know… Desperation comes with love, I’ve seen it before. So I shall forgive you for dishonoring tradition and we shall move on to the business of it.” I look up confused had he said love?

“I understand why you came. You have no father to offer you, but you could have gotten someone else to do it you know!”

I look at him curiously “wait, what is it you think I’m here to ask?”

He looks at me sideways. “You want me to choose you to be my son’s betrothed, yes? I must tell you the fathers of many eligible women have already come to offer their hands!”

I am stunned to near silence, all I can seem to utter is a wild and inappropriate barking laugh.

His eyes go wide and the men in the corners turn their attention to me, looking at me as If I’m a threat   now.

“Are you ok?” he asks oddly. I shake my head quickly, No longer finding this funny.

“No! No sir, I don’t want to marry Lian! No, no no!” I say rapidly waving my arms just in case he didn’t get the million no’s.

“Don’t deny it now my dear! I have watched over the years! I know the feelings you share! And believe me it has crossed my mind before I shall admit, but the fact remains, that my son is a wild soul, he goes against tradition in many ways. And you yourself are a wild girl! What I need for my son inn a wife is someone who will keep him close to my culture! Keep him tied to the ways of the gypsy! And that woman is not you as you are now! Now if you were to grow! To calm yourself, to prove you are for this family and not a threat to our ways. Than maybe I would reconsider.”

Through his words I am stunned, he has spoken so much! Said so many things I couldn’t believe he had said.

“Sir! No! I’ll say it again, I don’t want to marry Lian! I came here today, to ask that I be allowed to work, to live as my own bread winner! I came to ask that you select NO husband for me at all.”

and then i'm left stareing at him. waiting for the answer that would change my life.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.8K 698 37
A body swam above me as he moved toward me, oh for heaven sakes! Even stuck in a bottom of the pool I had the disgrace to be saved by him again? What...
Here By Bwilli2003

Mystery / Thriller

426K 14.3K 34
⚠️ MATURE⚠️ This story contains strong use of language and mature scenes. If you are offended easily do not read. _________________________________...
179 26 24
After he lost his throne to the hands of his younger brother, Reginald is banished from the vampire kingdom, never to return, and sent to the human r...
78.6K 1.5K 61
“I can tell you’re going to be a challenge.” He almost growled. “I like that.” Harry smirked. He dipped his head, nudging mine to the side before I...