Fire & Ice

By LaceyWeatherford

Of Witches and Warlocks readers will love this story, which is a retelling of The Trouble with Spells, but fr... More

Rave Reviews for Fire & Ice
Copyright
Acknowledgments
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
About the Author
Other books by Lacey Weatherford

Chapter Twenty-One

435 22 0
By LaceyWeatherford

Chapter Twenty-One

Journal entry:

I'm ready for all this craziness to end. It breaks my heart to see Portia, and Brad for that matter, so torn up about the loss of their friend. I wish there was something more I could do, but so far nothing has changed—I have no new results. The constant separation from Portia has been putting a strain on both of us. I think I need to return my focus to her. Hopefully things with Shelly will improve at some point, but for now, we are simply going to have to wait things out.

***

Leaving Portia's early in the morning, I went home and had breakfast with Marsha before she left for work, got ready for school, and hurried back to get my girlfriend.

It was hard to miss Shelly and her clique of new friends, clumped together in a secluded part of the parking lot. Technically, they were just outside the bounds of school property, so several of them were smoking.

She noticed Portia and me immediately, sending a snotty glance in our direction. Portia's hurt passed through me, and like her, I was puzzled by the action. Shelly was the one who'd left us. We'd certainly never done anything to ostracize her.

Wrapping an arm protectively around Portia's shoulders, I gave her a small squeeze, hoping to comfort her a bit. I hated seeing the way her friend was hurting her.

The two of us made our way into the school, stopping first at Portia's locker, then going to mine to grab some of the items I needed for my first class of the day.

"Hey, Vance," Shelly's voice purred from behind me, catching me off guard. Slowly, I faced her, wondering what she wanted. Portia appeared to be frozen beside me.

Shelly stepped forward and wrapped her arms around my neck, kissing me on the lips as her body melted heavily against mine.

Standing in complete shock, I didn't move or respond as she rubbed her mouth back and forth, obviously trying to elicit some sort of reaction from me. She stepped away, her gaze traveling over me in a carnal fashion.

"I knew you'd be hot," she said, running a black polished nail down the side of her mouth as if she were very pleased with herself. She touched her finger against my chest, trailing it across my pecs before moving it down my abs, dipping lower toward—I snapped out of it, quickly grabbing her hand, holding it away from me.

"What the heck are you doing, Shelly?" I was flabbergasted by her actions. The next thing I saw was Portia's fist connecting squarely with Shelly's face.

I heard the snap of Shelly's nose and she screamed, blood spraying everywhere.

"You stay away from him!" Portia screamed, lunging for Shelly again.

"Fight! Fight!" Someone yelled and suddenly the hall was full of running students and teachers.

I stepped in between the girls, trying to hold them back as they clawed for each other, and I used my powers to determine that Portia had indeed broken Shelly's nose. There was no way I could heal it either. There were too many people around. The damage was already done.

"That's enough!" the authoritative voice of one of the teachers, Mr. Bryson, broke through the scuffle, and both girls back away, staring at each other, breathing heavily. "Ms. Mullins, and Ms. Fontane, both of you to the principal's office. Now!"

Retrieving my textbook and notebook that had dropped, I hurried after them.

"Not you, Mr. Mangum," Mr. Bryson said, frowning heavily at me. "Get to class."

"But I know what happened," I replied gesturing between the girls.

"To class, now," he replied harshly, turning to follow after them.

Stopping, I watched as they disappeared around the corner. There was no way I was going to class. I went into the boy's restroom, determined to eavesdrop on the conversations with Portia so I could find out what was going on. Staring in the mirror, I saw Shelly's red lipstick smeared all over my lips. Groaning, I set my books down and filled my hands with liquid soap, scrubbing to get it off.

---

I was at her locker, waiting, by the time she made her way to get her things. She'd been suspended for three days; and even though she felt like she deserved the punishment, she was pissed. Her parents had been called and were on the way to get her.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" It was a dumb question, really; but I wanted her to know I was here for her.

"Peachy," she replied, retrieving several items from her locker before slamming the door shut.

I took her by the shoulder, turning her to face me. "You know there's nothing going on there, right? I mean between me and Shelly." Locking gazes with her, I let my emotions flow freely into her, telling her I wasn't lying.

"She isn't going to stop, you know?" She pushed past me and continued walking down the hallway. "She made it pretty clear that, now she's had a taste, she wants more."

I already knew this. I'd heard the conversation between them as they were waiting for the principal. Shelly had continued to taunt her.

Catching up, I grabbed her by the arm and spun her around. "I could care less what she wants." Sliding my hands to the sides of her face, I continued trying to reassure her. "I'm bound to you, and only you." I stared at her, hoping she could feel how much love raced through me, before bending to kiss her, gently.

"Go back to class, Mr. Mangum." The secretary, Mrs. Bloomfield's, high voice cut through the moment we were sharing. "Miss Mullins, follow me, please."

Removing my hands, frustration coursed through me. "I'll see you after school," I whispered. I needed to leave so it wouldn't cause any more trouble for her. "I love you."

"Love you too," she said, turning to follow Mrs. Bloomfield back to her office.

My teacher didn't even look at me as I slipped into the back of the classroom and sat down. Opening my textbook, I pretended to be studying as my mind drifted into the conversations with Portia and her parents. They were plying her with questions, and she was filling them in with all the events that had led to this argument. Thankfully, they seemed to recognize the strangeness of the situation, and they went easy on her, encouraging her to do the best she could to repair the relationship with Shelly.

"I love you, Jinx," I heard Portia say when she entered her room. "You're a good kitty."

"Get some rest," I spoke softly into her mind. I could feel her exhaustion. "I'll be there at lunch."

"All right."

"Love you."

"Love you more," she replied.

"Not possible." I chuckled lightly.

"Do your schoolwork!" she ordered.

"Okay." Knowing she was all right now, I gently slipped from her head.

---

She was still sleeping when I arrived, poor girl. "Hey, sleepyhead," I said, bending to kiss her on the forehead and she blinked several times as she focused on me.

"Hi," she replied, stretching her gorgeous body languidly, which immediately filled my head with all sorts of naughty images. "Is it lunch time already?"

"Yep. You were out like a light." I laughed, trying to rein my thoughts back in. "I couldn't even hear your dreams when I tried to check in on you."

"This morning was a bit emotional for me," she said, a small frown curving her lips.

"That's completely understandable. By the way, great right hook." I couldn't help my grin. "And it didn't even have any magic in it!"

"Yeah, well I guess my baser instincts kicked in."

"I'm glad you're on my side! I've never had girls fistfight because of me before. Well, unless you count the time . . . " I allowed my voice to trail off, suddenly thinking better of it. She definitely wasn't in the mood to hear of my playground experienced in grade school. "Never mind. We'll save that story for another day."

She forced a grin, her mind immediately conjuring images of two sexy cover model-worthy woman duking it out over me while I watched with pleasure. She was so far off base.

"The next three days will be miserable without you here," she complained, pulling me down to sit beside her.

"Don't worry." Cradling her in my arms, I rested my chin on the top of her head. "I'll be here every minute I can, and the rest of the time I'll only be a thought away."

"I know. But it still won't be the same."

There was a soft knock on the door, and Stacey came in, bringing a plate with two sandwiches, along with chips and sodas.

"I thought you two could use some lunch." She set the plate down on the dresser.

"Thanks, Mom. You're the best."

"By the way, the school called while you were sleeping. Shelly and her family said they won't be pressing any charges," she told us as she left the room.

"Well, that's a relief," Portia said, after she'd gone. "The nurse said she thought Shelly's nose was broken."

"It is."

"How do you know?"

"I have my ways." I made a goofy, spooky gesture at her, wiggling my fingers above her head as I made a crazy face.

She started laughing, which was exactly what I was hoping for, so I tickled her to keep it going. Humor would help her feel better about herself right now.

"Stop!" She gasped after several seconds of wriggling, trying to get away. "You need to eat, or you'll be late."

"Oh, all right," I replied, giving in easily. I was starving. Grabbing the food off the dresser, I took one of the sandwiches and held it out her so she could have the other.

"Seriously, though, can you use your magic to diagnose people's injuries?" she asked, and I sighed internally. I guess I hadn't distracted her enough.

Settling back on the bed I replied. "I can if I touch them. I held Shelly back after she charged at you, right before the teachers stopped everything."

"Interesting." She took a bite and the two of us chewed in silence while she pondered my claim. "Can all witches and warlocks do that?" she added when she was finished.

"Not all. It's a special gift exclusive to healer witches."

"So you're a healer witch . . . um, warlock?"

"Yes."

"Can you heal yourself if you get sick?"

"No. A healer witch, besides me, would have to do it."

"Why?"

"Because my powers could be affected by my illness, depending on what type it was."

"Oh." She paused again, mulling over this information too. "So how does one find out if they're a healer witch?"

"When they have the opportunity to heal someone, and it works." Snagging a bag of chips, I popped it open.

"Who did you heal?"

"My mom." The memory slipped instantly into my mind, replaying as if it were happening right this moment. "She accidentally cut her hand on a knife while doing dishes. I saw all the blood, ran over, placed my hands on her cut, and it healed."

"How old were you?"

"Five. It was the first manifestation of my power."

"Wow. No wonder everyone's impressed with you. How'd you even know what to do?"

I shrugged. Even I didn't truly know the answer to that question. "Instinct, I guess."

"Can I ask you something else?"

"Sure. Ask away." I opened my soda, taking a large swallow.

"What's your mom's name?"

This caught me off guard. I was always nervous about using my parent's names—even in a circle of protection. The coven usually referred to them as my parents, or my father and mother. There were spells that powerful witches could invoke to detect the use of a name. I didn't want to say something that might alert my dad, or anyone who was scrying for him, to my location.

I raised a finger to my lips. "Krista Leah Mangum," I whispered very softly into her mind.

"And your dad's?"

I wasn't taking any chances. If someone were scrying, it would most likely be for the use of his name—it was stupid to risk it.

"Not here. Not now. It isn't safe," I replied and she immediately looked disappointed. I rushed to reassure her. "It's more of a precaution really, Portia. We're just trying to keep anything he might be doing to track us at bay."

"Sorry," she mumbled, glancing down at her half-eaten sandwich.

Sliding a finger under her chin, I lifted until she was forced to look at me. "You never have to be sorry around me. Not for any reason." Leaning forward, I kissed her on the forehead.

"Vance! You're going to be late if you don't leave now!" Stacey's voice floated up the stairs.

Sighing heavily, I stood. "I'll be back after school," I promised.

"All right. I think I'll go spend the rest of the afternoon with my grandma at the store, though." She stood, giving me a goodbye hug.

"Okay. I guess I'll meet you there, then."

Unable to resist kissing her sweet mouth, I did so for the last time before hurrying down the stairs and out the door. Portia followed behind me, waving, and I saw her mom appear behind her as I drove away. Curiosity got the better of me, and I opened the connection between us so I could hear what was being said.

"He's a good kid," Stacey said.

Yes, he is."

"He cares a lot about you. I find that unusual in a young man of his age."

"Vance is exceptional," Portia replied, her heart infusing with love for me.

"You'll be careful, won't you?" Stacey asked. "I know he's eighteen already, and he's an adult, but you're still only sixteen. If he hadn't been on the run and gotten behind in school, he'd be graduated and long gone by this time. It worries me he may be ready to move on with a part of his life you're not ready for."

Portia felt slightly irritated with her mom's suggestion, but I knew Stacey was spot on. I'd been struggling with exactly what she was concerned about.

"Mom, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I would happily go wherever and do whatever Vance wanted me to."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Stacey replied seriously. "You could end up on the run with him, out there alone and unprotected." There was a pause. "Or even pregnant."

Portia gave a short laugh. "Is that what this is really about? Sex?"

"Are you sleeping with him?" Stacey asked bluntly.

"Yes, Mother, I am. Every night. Emphasis on the sleep." I could tell she was irritated. "And for the record, I personally would love to be doing a whole lot more, but Vance has goals that are important to him. I'm doing my best to help him honor those."

"You two are playing with fire, you know, spending so much time together." I could hear the obvious relief in Stacey's voice, even though she continued to reprimand Portia.

"I know we are, and I'm not going to lie. It's been hard, Mom." Portia's resolve passed through me, and I realized she was determined to try and help her mom understand. "I almost feel obsessed with him at times. The whole view of the world changes for me when I'm with him. I love him a lot, and I want to be with him in every way possible. But I also realize it's not time for some things yet, so please know I'm not rushing into anything I'm not ready for."

"You're growing up so fast," Stacey said, the affection for her daughter apparent in her voice. "Where did the time go?"

"I don't know," Portia replied. "But no matter how old I am, I'll always be your little girl."

"Thank you for trying to be responsible," Stacey said and Portia laughed.

"You do remember I just got a three-day suspension for hitting my best friend, right?"

"You know what I mean!" Stacey responded joining in with the laughter. "Do you have any homework? I need to run to the store real quick."

"No, I don't, but do you care if I go to Grandma's store for the rest of the afternoon?" Portia asked her.

"Not at all. She'd probably enjoy your help. Do you want me to give you a ride to Milly's?" Stacey asked.

"I'll take my scooter."

"All right, sweetheart. See you later, then."

Portia quickly changed her mind about riding her scooter, deciding instead that a brisk walk might be exactly the thing to clear her mind.

"You're amazing," I whispered after she left her house.

"What're you talking about?"

"That conversation with your mom. I was eavesdropping." I figured I might as well be honest and confess.

"Were you now?"

"Yes. And I think you're even more wonderful now than I did before, though I don't know why I'm surprised."

She laughed. "I really don't know what you're going on about."

"You were so honest with her. I can't think of many girls who would tell their mom point blank how much they want to sleep with their boyfriend." I chuckled, thinking she was pretty ballsy for doing that. "Unless, of course, you were trying to kill her with a heart attack."

"No! Of course not!" she protested. "My parents have trusted us. It's got to be hard for them. I promise you if magic weren't involved, or this binding spell, I'm sure my dad would be chasing you off with a shotgun, or whatever else warlocks run would-be suitors off with."

"I'm positive you're correct on that matter," I replied wryly. "So why tell her you want to have sex with me? Doesn't that stir the pot?"

"No. It tells her I'm responsible enough to talk to her frankly about this kind of stuff. And it'll reassure her that their trust in you hasn't been misplaced."

"Don't count your chickens before they're hatched," I mumbled.

"What?"

"I'm saying you put too much faith in me. These walls could easily crumble. Trust me, the temptation is excruciating." Just because we were connected didn't mean I broadcasted my every thought to Portia. She would've died of humiliation a long time ago if she had any idea how difficult she made simple things—like walking normally—for me. There were times I felt I was in a near constant state of arousal.

"And that's why I believe in you," she replied. "Because you're trying to stay away from temptation."

"And that's what I'm trying to tell you. I'm failing miserably. She's right, you know. If you were older, I'd be asking you to move on to a different stage in your life."

"But I'm not older, so I guess we're stuck making the best of our current situation. If we struggle to do things right for just ourselves, then let's try to do it for them as repayment for their faith in us."

"Like I said before, you're amazing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 64 30
'𝓐 𝓯𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓵 𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂 𝓪𝓫𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓪 𝓶𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓶𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓼🔮🔮✨' ...
65.8K 3.2K 23
Sequel to "The Struggles of Dating a Demon." Mabel knew dating a demonic guardian was hard and, in cases like hers, sometimes resulted in a brief lo...
12.5K 1.9K 46
Niccola is a demi-queen undercover in enemy territory. Her little sister went missing seven moons ago, but one lead remains: a picture of a woman's f...
54.7K 2.2K 41
Lydia Voltaire only longed for one thing; to complete her training and become the ancient, powerful wizard she was born to be. But there is only one...