blurry face - phan

By phanci

" my name's blurry face and I care what you think. " Dan Howell has an unknown condition where he cannot see... More

description
chapter one
chapter two
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
deleting soon
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty øne
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
new book!
chapter twenty six
chapter twenty seven
chapter twenty eight
chapter twenty nine
chapter thirty
chapter thirty one
chapter thirty two
not an update yo
chapter thirty three
chapter thirty four
chapter thirty five
epiløgue
nøte

chapter three

72.5K 5K 10.2K
By phanci

// short-er-ish chapter soz :) //

dan

Dan thinks he may have gone a little too far.

Phil is very pissed off at him now. As soon as Dan quoted the song, Phil just rolled his eyes and looked away, a scowl on his thin, pink lips. Dan tries to concentrate on class, but his eyes keep sneaking glances at Phil's face, almost as if he's worried that when he looks back Phil's face will be a blur - just like everyone else's.

"Will you stop staring at me you freaking creep?" Phil asks angrily, glaring as he turns towards Dan, "it's fucking weird and unnerving."

"Sorry," Dan mumbles, looking down at his notebook again, losing all of the little confidence he had, "I'll stop."

"Thank you," Phil says, rolling his eyes and looking back to the front.

Dan starts drawing in the back of his notebook, a sketch - his first one of a face, but as he joins the features up they turn to a blur, so he flips a page and starts scribbling a tiger. Half way through he notices Phil watching sneakily.

"Will you stop staring at my book?" Dan asks, mimicking Phil's tone, "it's fucking creepy."

Phil scowls at Dan, his blue eyes cold and annoyed. Dan didn't understand why Phil was so straight up mean to people, he knew that led to a lonely life. And honestly, a lonely life was what Dan feared.

"Look blurry face, or whatever the fuck your name actually is, I'm trying to concentrate, and I'm also trying to resist the urge to punch you," Phil says, "and you are making that very difficult."

"Are you rude to everyone you meet?" Dan asks, looking over at Phil cautiously, meeting his blue eyes, and Dan literally feels chills - he's never made eye contact before so this is all new to him.

"Yes," Phil replies simply, breaking eye contact and looking straight ahead again.

"Why?" Dan asks.

"Because, I don't want friends."

"Why?"

"Because I don't see a point in them."

"Why?"

"Because of what they bring. Everything has a consequence; trusting brings betrayal, joy brings pain, loving brings loss - it's the vicious circle of life."

"If you find a true friend though, it's worth it."

"Not to me."

"Well that must be because you've never experienced a true friendship."

"And I don't want to."

"Then I pity you."

"Why?"

"Because, a life alone is sad. You have no home, no one to turn to, nothing to love. There's no light in your world."

"There is, it's this amazing thing called drugs."

Dan smiles sadly at Phil. Despite the fact that he's scowling, Dan can feel the pain, and hear it in his voice. Due to not being able to see faces (until Phil) Dan has learnt to tell emotion purely off tone and body language. Phil is upset, Dan can tell. Dan knows what Phil feels like though, he himself was once functioning off artificial happiness.

"Drugs don't bring happiness," Dan says.

"You don't know that," Phil snaps, "I know your type, a mummy's boy, nerd, do-gooder with your perfect life. It isn't like that for everyone you know."

"Why do you do that?" Dan asks.

"Do what?"

"Pretend you know everyone, pretend you know their whole backstory, history and internal thoughts. You aren't the only one who has it though you know," Dan says, "sometime soon you should wake up and realise that everyone deals with shit. Yes, some more than others, but you're not the only fucking one."

"See? You just think you know fucking everything."

"Says you hypocrite," Dan snaps angrily, "you know, you don't have to be an asshole to everyone you cross paths with."

"Actually I do," Phil says, "especially to you."

"Why?" Dan asks yet again, frustrating Phil even further without realising it.

"Is that all you can fucking say? Why, why, why. Why? BECAUSE, BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO, BECAUSE I WANT TO, STOP ASKING WHY!" Phil yells, standing abruptly.

"Lester! Please-" the teacher starts.

"Don't worry sir, I'm leaving anyway," Phil snarls, glaring at everyone - especially Dan - before turning and stalking out, slamming the door behind him.

Dan sighs, looking down. He wishes Phil Lester was nicer, he wishes Phil Lester wasn't a selfish jerk, and he wishes that now, in a roomful of blurry faces, he did miss a certain pair of impossible, cold blue eyes.

***

"I told you to stay away," Pj says exasperatedly, shaking his head at Dan - the whole school now knows the new kid tried to talk with Phil Lester.

"I know, I'm sorry, I've learnt my lesson though," Dan says, shrugging and looking down.

"Everyone does," Pj says, "you probably learnt the easy way though. Just stay clear before you get hurt."

Dan nods his head, even though he isn't planning to. He can't; now that he's seen a face, his world of blurry face's suddenly feels bleak and slightly off. Now Dan has seen one face, he wants to see the beauty of every other face in the world. Also, he wants to see more than just anger with a dash of hidden pain through someone's eyes - he wants to see someone happy, really happy.

Like in books, how it says their eyes crinkle and shine, their ace lights up, they lips curve into a smile and just the look of the smile makes you think that everything will be okay. But that's only what Dan has read in cheesy romance novels, he doesn't know if it really exists.

After school, Dan walks home, his new friends' numbers in his phone. Dan has earphones in as he heads towards his street, nodding his head along with the beat. Dan gets so involved into the song, he doesn't realise someone has walked in front of him.

"Sorry," Dan mumbles, looking up to see none other than Phil the asshole, "actually, on second thoughts, I'm not."

"That's rude," Phil snaps, his lips curving into an unattractive snarl and his eyes turning into narrow slits, "you've got quite the nerve."

"What makes you say that?" Dan asks.

"Well, people avoid me because I'm dangerous," Phil says, sounding like it's something to be very proud of, "and you just keep coming back with the sass."

"Well, you're just another person," Dan says simply, shrugging, "and I have no reason to fear you."

"I could easily bash your stupid little head in, then we'll see how you go, what would your mummy and daddy say then?" Phil asks mockingly, "poor, perfect Danny with a few bruises."

Dan shrugs, not replying to Phil and turns away. He continues walking towards home, turning the volume up even louder, but as he turns into his street, he senses someone behind him.

"Are you stalking me or something?" Dan asks when he sees who it is.

Phil narrows his eyes at Dan, the blue part turning almost grey and his lips curve downwards. "No, I live in this street."

Not even five minutes later, Dan and Phil soon discover that they live right next door to each other, much to Phil's dismay but Dan's curiosity - the world seemed to be forcing them together, and Dan doesn't think it's a coincidence.

Dan unlocks his front door, stepping inside the empty home and heading straight for the fridge. His parents aren't coming home until late tonight, and Dan will e in bed by then. He opens the fridge and takes out three beers, walking with them out into his backyard.

Dan sits on his deck, slowly downing the bottles, letting the alcohol flow into his system. He feels it start to take over his mind, effecting it, fogging the thoughts inside, slowing it down. Soon, he's too drunk to see Phil watching from his window next door, who is unable to believe what he is seeing.

See, what Dan's parents don't know is when they are at work - Dan usually drinks, a lot. He's kind of addicted, but when he drinks enough, his whole world becomes blurry - just like the faces - and when everything is distorted, Dan almost forgets about his blurry face.

Almost, but never completely.

*************

an// heyo hope you enjoyed! Wow I didn't expect so many reads so quickly! Thanks heaps guys!

15 votes and 12 comments for next chapter?

Thanks so much for reading, I hope you're enjoying the book so far! Let me know what you think. :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 135 16
Dan Howell just wants to be friends with the extremely sweet and attractive boy that he's been fangirling over for years. But what happens when Phil...
2.2K 73 14
Dan Howell and Phil Lester live their everyday lives together in their flat. They make YouTube videos and browse the web, except in addition they are...
2.3K 285 29
"why do you stare Death in the face as if he's a joke?" "maybe because he is." Psychotic!Dan x Innocent!Phil
559 78 19
{Complete} Dan Howell knows he has feelings for his Best Friend Phil Lester, and he has known for a while. But Dan can't ever find the way to tell hi...