This Love is Ours

By sugarszzz16

*** It is HIGHLY recommended that you read "Shooting Stars" before this book.*** "And one thing that will for... More

Author's Note
Introduction
Chapter 1: The Dance of Life
Chapter 2: Equivalence
Chapter 3: Quick Clicks
Chapter 4: Stolen Kisses
Chapter 5: The Art of Love
Chapter 6: Gravitational Beauty
Chapter 7: The Truth Hidden Inside
Chapter 8: State of Grace
Chapter 9: Midnight Lovers
Chapter 10: Dark Rain & Deep Pain
Chapter 11: Clear Skies
Chapter 12: Pure Passion
Chapter 13: A Cloudless Night
Chapter 14: Gateways
Chapter 15: Moonlight Waters
Chapter 16: Lovely Losers
Chapter 17: A Vivid Presence
Chapter 18: The Moments of Night
Chapter 20: Burning Hearts
Chapter 21: Diamond Light
Chapter 22: Purest Eyes
Chapter 23: Intriguing Souls
Chapter 24: Fine Summer Nights
Chapter 25: The Wild & Crazy Side
Chapter 26: A Sibling's Bond
Chapter 27: Last Kiss
Chapter 28: Wandering Minds
Chapter 29: Nostalgia
Chapter 30: The Elegance of Anticipation
Chapter 31: The Unity of Souls
Chapter 32: In Love With the Untouchable
Chapter 33: Moon Halos
Chapter 34: Mysteriously Intriguing
Chapter 35: The World is Ours
Chapter 36: Tidal Waves
Chapter 37: Familiar Faces
Chapter 38: Alive
Chapter 39: Changing Lives
Chapter 40: Time is Relative
Chapter 41: Free Falling
Chapter 42: The Unknown
Chapter 43: The Brilliance of Youth
Chapter 44: Lost & In Love
Chapter 45: Masterpiece
Chapter 46: Fathoming Thoughts
Chapter 47: The Immensity of Love
Chapter 48: Together
Chapter 49: New Love
Chapter 50: Explosions in the Sky
Chapter 51: Depth
Chapter 52: Discovering Dreams
Chapter 53: A Blissful Evening
Chapter 54: Webs of Emotions
Chapter 55: Friendships of Heart
Chapter 56: Currents Upon Oceans
Chapter 57: A Child's Heart
Chapter 58: Worlds Away
Chapter 59: State of Mind
Chapter 60: Double Joys
Chapter 61: Silence Screams
Chapter 62: A Real Beauty
Chapter 63: Rain-Washed Pasts
Chapter 64: Evening Bliss
Chapter 65: Brothers
Chapter 66: Deceiving Simplicity
Chapter 67: One for the Dagger
Chapter 68: The Kiss that Changed a Life
Chapter 69: Forest of Conscience
Chapter 70: Welcome to Reality
Chapter 71: Miracles Alone
Chapter 72: Falling From the Stars
Chapter 73: The Key to Life
Chapter 74: Balancing Simplicity
Chapter 75: Crashing Constellations
Chapter 76: Hazy Voices & Clear Minds
Chapter 77: Midnight Thoughts
Chapter 78: Measurements of Time
Chapter 79: The Moment Everything Changes
Chapter 80: Little Heartbeats
Epilogue

Chapter 19: Summer Nights & City Lights

480 31 175
By sugarszzz16

{Abigail}

The skyline is familiar through the floor-to-ceiling windows.

The Chicago skyline.

God, that skyline has claimed my heart.

This city has, to be honest.

I watch it with fervent eyes, carefully eyeing each and every component.

The Sears Tower, the John Hancock Center... they all have such important roles in the skyline.

It's Sunday, July 17, about 7:30 in the evening.

Patrick and I got home from Buffalo this morning, around noon.

We got in at ORD, and drove straight to the apartment.

We have been hanging out all day, simply watching TV and eating popcorn.

Neither of us felt like doing anything this afternoon, so we didn't.

We just had a lazy day inside.

It has been really nice.

However, Patrick insisted that we go out later this evening, and he suggested the Chicago River Night Cruise.

I, of course, agreed.

I have been on that cruise plenty of times before, but I could never do it enough times.

It's gorgeous, especially at night.

The cruise is at 7:45, so Patrick and I are just getting ready to leave now.

I stand at the floor-to-ceiling windows at the end of the apartment, admiring the skyline.

The sun is getting ready to set, and being so high up, I can see it as it makes its way slowly down the horizon.

About three-quarters of it is still above the horizon, and the rest of it appears to be below the lake.

I am shaken out of my thoughts by Patrick coming down the stairs.

"You ready to go, love?" He asks, as he takes his first step onto the main floor of the apartment.

I turn around, smiling.

"Definitely." I say, grabbing my purse from where I had set it down on the table, a few minutes ago.

Patrick is wearing a dark blue v-neck with grey shorts, and a backwards flat-brim Chicago Cubs hat.

I have decided on a white tank top, with a leather jacket over top, leaving the zipper undone, as well as a pair of skinny jeans, and flats.

Patrick extends his hand out, and I take his hand.

The two of us make our way out of the apartment, and down eighty-four floors through the elevator.

The docks where the night cruises run out of, are literally right outside of Trump Tower, so it takes about a minute to walk to them.

Patrick and I make our way down the main entrance steps of Trump Tower, and over to the dock where the boats all bob lazily in the river.

It's Sunday night, so it's fairly quiet in Downtown Chicago, but there are still a few people out and about walking.

The sun has officially set, and it is really starting to get dark out.

The streets and sidewalks are illuminated by large streetlights, however.

Patrick and I make our way down to the dock, where we pay for two tickets, and then we wait in line for the boat to start boarding.

I notice that there are no other people in line for the night cruise, which is somewhat odd.

"There is like no one else here." I say, looking around.

"I know. Must be because it's Sunday night." Patrick shrugs.

I nod, agreeing with him.

I guess it really quiets down on Sunday nights.

Within a few minutes, the boat has started boarding, and still, there are no other people here.

This means one thing:

Patrick and I have the entire cruise to ourselves.

I bite my lip, smiling as we take our seats at the back of the boat.

The hostess greets us, and laughs at the number of people.

"Well, hello you two! I guess it's just you guys tonight." She laughs, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I guess so." I reply, laughing.

"Sweet." She shrugs, laughing.

After she tells us some brief safety rules such as not jumping off the boat or anything, the cruise starts up.

The boat starts by making its way down the river, past Trump Tower.

The night lights of the city reflect in the rippling river below.

They are blurred in the reflection, and are still so beautiful.

The boat is quiet, and the hostess keeps her talking to a minimal, as I'm pretty sure she has already figured out that we are not tourists to the city of Chicago.

She probably recognized Patrick, considering one of the things the hostesses usually say when they pass Trump Tower, is that if you bought a place there, your neighbors would be Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, and Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Patrick holds my hand in his as we continue down the river, now making our way again, past Trump Tower (in the opposite direction, of course), and out past The Regatta Chicago, towards Lake Michigan.

Right by where Jonathan's apartment is, is where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan, and leads into open lake water.

As we pass The Regatta, I notice that the light in Jonathan's apartment is on.

"Hey look, Jonny must be home!" I laugh, pointing up to Jonathan's apartment.

Patrick snorts.

"He's probably working out or something." He rolls his eyes, playfully.

I laugh, shaking my head.

Those two boys are something else, I will say that much.

After a few minutes, the boat moves into Lake Michigan, and does a 180 degree turn, offering a panoramic view of Downtown Chicago.

Patrick gets up, leading me to the side of the boat, where we lean against the railing, looking out at the city.

"Wow." I say, smiling.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Patrick asks, his eyes locked on the skyline.

The lights reflect in the lake below us, and above us, the moon sits in the sky.

By now, it is only half-lit, as it is a third-quarter, but it is still giving off enough light to illuminate the city slightly.

"Stunning." I agree, nodding.

I'm in awe at the buildings in front of me.

I'm in a state of grace right now.

I keep my eyes locked on the skyline in front of us, their lights shimmering in the lake.

God, this is beautiful.

The boat is quiet and still, and because only Patrick and I are on this night cruise, everything is calm.

My eyes scan the skyline, and I find a building located right beside The Regatta.

It's the Lakeshore East Real-Estate building.

I never appreciated that building so much, until now.

Honestly, it looks more gorgeous than I've ever seen it, for some reason.

"Patrick, look at Lakeshore Real-Estate Building! I never knew it was this beautiful from the water." I giggle, still staring at the building.

The lights are bright and they almost seem to be twinkling.

He doesn't reply.

"Patrick?" I say, looking to my left.

He's not there.

He was there literally two seconds ago.

Puzzled, I turn around, and see Patrick kneeling down.

On one knee.

He holds a small black box in his hand, and a sudden shiny glare reflects in my eyes.

Before I can say or do anything, Patrick speaks.

"Abigail Quinn, will you marry me?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

319 7 11
Molly loves her life...well most of it. She has great friends and a wonderful family, but there is one thing that needs to change before she can tru...
39.4K 930 85
Patrick Kane is NHLs bad boy. It's not that he's trying to live up to the name, it's just who he is. After getting knocked out of the playoffs in the...
339K 7K 69
Patrick Kane has always been surrounded by love. His sisters have found love, his teammates are starting to settle down. When will it be time for Pat...
6.2K 116 14
Jonathan Toews has a huge change coming for him... How does he deal with it? Read to find out!