Last Turn Home

By MackieJay

Carly Atwood always remembered the man that used to live in the loft above the barn when she was a little gir... More

Prologue - The Man Above the Barn
Chapter 1 - A Single Moment
Chapter 2 - Tall, Dark and Handsome
Chapter 3 - His Promise Kept
Chapter 4 - Sleep in Peace Tonight
Chapter 5 - And I Fell
Chapter 6 - The Nosy Best Friend
Chapter 7 - Saddle Up
Chapter 8 - You Meant Something
Chapter 9 - Night Out
Chapter 10 - The Heart is Stronger
Chapter 11 - Slow Dance
Chapter 12 - Girls and Their Horses
Chapter 14 - Too Young to Love
Chapter 15 - The Tears I Caused
Chapter 16 - Your McDreamy
Chapter 17 - Deep Waters
Chapter 18 - Just Like That
Chapter 19 - Let's Talk About Sex
Chapter 20 - The First Time
Chapter 21 - Calamity
Chapter 22 - Let It Rain
Chapter 23 - Oh Baby
Chapter 24 - There She Blow
Chapter 25 - Looking Ahead
Chapter 26 - Boys And Their Guns
Chapter 27 - I Can't Do This Alone
Chapter 28 - A Guy Walks Into a Bar
Chapter 29 - Need You Now
Chapter 30 - No Surprises
Chapter 31 - Jingle Bells
Chapter 32 - His, Hers, Theirs
Chapter 33 - Ringing in the New Year
Chapter 34 - Pink or Blue?
Chapter 35 - Baby Names
Chapter 36 - Paint The Town Pink
Chapter 37 - Not Bad For an Old Man
Chapter 38 - Hey Good Lookin'
Chapter 39 - Coming Undone
Chapter 40 - The Waiting Game
Chapter 41 - Addie Kessler
Chapter 42 - The Uphill Climb
Chapter 43 - Going Home
Epilogue - 1 Month Later

Chapter 13 - The Maid of Honor

197K 7.3K 1.4K
By MackieJay

CHAPTER 13

CARLY

The week before Maisy's wedding was absolutely nut balls crazy, filled with all of these last-minute details that needed to be sorted out. Maisy was rather calm and collected these last few months, but now that crunch time was upon us, I could see cracks in her façade. She was really nervous.

We were pretty busy, so I was grateful I had John to take care of everything while I found myself going to and from Maisy's house. My uncle and cousin also dropped by a few times to help out, but for the most part John was running the show.

I felt kind of bad to be putting so much on his shoulders, especially with Juno so close to delivering her foal and Lady still acting a little off. He was good at it though, and I trusted him with the ranch and the horses... which wasn't something I could say about a whole lot of people.

"What are you doin' on Saturday?" I asked him at dinner one evening halfway through the week, three days before Maisy's big day.

"Nothin' too much," John shrugged, cutting up his steak and popping a piece in his mouth. "You got somethin' in mind?" he asked after a few moments.

"You feel like goin' to a weddin'?" I suggested, feeling a little nervous.

"Maisy's?" he asked.

"Yeah," I told him.

"And the weddin' is this Saturday?" he inquired, his eyebrows shooting up underneath his Rangers cap. "As in three days from now Saturday? You realize I don't own a suit right?" he chuckled.

"Oh, okay, well if you don't wanna come that's fine; I just figured I'd ask... I kind of wanted an excuse to dance with you again," I said with a nervous laugh, trying to downplay my disappointment.

"I didn't say I didn't wanna come," he smirked, leaning back into his seat. "I'll find a suit... I'll figure it out," he added.

"Really, are you sure?" I asked.

"I'm sure," he smiled. "Dancin' with you sounds like a nice way to spend my birthday," he shrugged.

I stared at him.

"Wait, Saturday is your birthday – seriously? Why didn't you say anythin' sooner? I could have–" I began, but he interrupted me with a shrug and a wave of his hand.

"It ain't a big deal Carly... and don't you go makin' it a big deal... it's just another day on the calendar," he shrugged, looking dead serious.

"Oh come on, it's your birthday!" I grinned, shaking my head defiantly. "You're gonna have to get used to me makin' a fuss over stuff like that if you're gonna be stickin' around," I told him.

"So I've got no choice in the matter then, huh?" he chuckled.

"Not in the slightest," I grinned.

"Alright, fine, you're the boss..." he sighed dramatically.

He was way too cute right now.

"Damn right I am," I giggled.

We spent the next few minutes finishing our plates in silence, exchanging glances every once in a while and grinning whenever we caught each other looking. He finished first and brought his dishes to the sink, turning to face me when I followed after him shortly after.

"No blowin' out candles or nothin' cheesy like that though," he warned, taking the plate and utensils from my hands and putting them down with his own in the sink.

JOHN

All week long Carly was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. She was arriving home late every evening and waking up at the crack of dawn every morning, starting on her day even before I was up and at 'em, which was really saying something since I still wasn't sleeping right.

On the day of the wedding, a few hours before the ceremony, she was still at it. I figured she'd relax a little and enjoy her best friend's day. Everything was beautiful, the guests were arriving on time, the groom wasn't halfway to Mexico...

"Hey," I said, touching her arm when she passed me by in the driveway, looking a little red in the face from all of the running she was doing.

Without saying a word I took the box she was carrying, ignoring her protests as I carried it to her car for her.

"You okay? You need anythin'?" I asked.

"I'm fine, Maisy is at the hair salon right now," Carly said, checking her phone. "I have to drop off a couple things at the hall we rented for the reception... Reagan is there right now finishing up with the decorations. I hope I can get it all done and then come back here to get ready," she sighed.

"Do you want me to do anythin'?" I repeated. "If you want I can drop those off at the reception hall for you," I told her, gesturing towards the boxes in the trunk of her car.

"Oh, uh..." she hesitated, looking rather tempted by the offer. "No, I'm fine, really, I'll be fine," she smiled.

"You're sure? I really wouldn't mind," I told her.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"Yeah," I repeated.

"Okay, thank you John... You're the best... I owe you," she grinned, reaching up on the tip of her toes to kiss me.

"You can pay me back in those," I grinned against her lips, running my thumb along her jaw, enjoying the moment of intimacy before all hell started breaking loose around us again. "You go relax for a while... No work, no chores... I'll be back with lunch," I told her pointedly.

"Yes sir," she rolled her eyes.

She handed me her keys so that I wouldn't have to lug every box from the trunk of her car to my truck and I climbed into the driver's seat, which was way too damn small for my tall frame. I cussed silently and pushed back the seat a little to allow myself some more leg room.

I had to drive across town to the hall Darryl and Maisy were renting for the wedding reception later. I needed to look for Reagan, which I hoped wouldn't be too difficult considering I didn't know what the woman even looked like.

Fortunately, the building wasn't that big. There was a reception area without a receptionist, and a hallway leading to bathrooms as well as big French doors. A sign was already welcoming the guests and congratulating Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, so I made my way over and peaked through.

There was a woman on a foot stool, hanging up decorations. I made my way in, hands buried deep in the pockets of my jeans.

"Hey," I said a little awkwardly, making my way towards the short-haired brunette. "Are you Reagan by any chance?" I asked her, hoping Carly made her aware that I was coming. I really didn't feel like explaining myself to her.

"Yep, that's me," she said cheerfully, climbing down and making her way towards me. She wore some of those nerdy glasses that were apparently fashionable these days and a dark sweater. She was very tall and leggy, just a few inches shorter than I was.

"I'm John... Carly sent–" I began.

"Oh! You're her John! Hi!" Reagan interrupted, looking a little too excited.

Okay, so she was aware of me. That didn't make me feel awkward at all!

"Yeah, well uh... I've got some boxes for–" I began again.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah... she sent me a text tellin' me she was comin' over with them. Do you want help bringin' them in or is she– ?" she asked, dusting off her hands on her jeans and reaching to shake mine. "It's nice to meet you by the way, I'm Maisy's step-sister. The third wheel in their friendship."

"Nice to meet you too," I nodded, shaking her hand.

"I'll be fine..." I added regarding the boxes. There weren't too many – two or three trips at the most and I'd be good to go.

I left the hall and returned to the car, chuckling to myself.

Her John.

CARLY

"Congratulations, Mrs. Jackson!" I gushed through happy tears, wrapping my arms around Maisy's shoulders when the Church slowly started to empty out.

It was a beautiful ceremony; everything unfolded without a hitch and I was able to enjoy the day without all of the added stress I was feeling all throughout the week. Maisy looked absolutely beautiful in her dress and Darryl was very handsome in his white tuxedo, his long dreads tied back and away from his face.

"This is John," I added, taking a step back and touching his forearm.

"Hi, thanks for comin'," Maisy smiled happily. "It's really nice to finally meet you," she added. She smirked at me, unspoken words passing between us. She better not dare say anything embarrassing.

I was already embarrassed enough by all of the tears I'd cried during the ceremony. Hopefully John was far enough in the back not to see them or notice my blotchy face.

"Yeah, nice to meet you too, you look beautiful," he said and I could tell he was uncomfortable, standing a little too rigid next to me in his rented suit.

"Aw, well thank you," Maisy beamed. "Alright, I hate to run off on you guys but I've got to meet my hubby. See you guys outside?" she added.

"Yeah, we'll be right there," I grinned, watching her hike up her dress and run off towards the exit to meet her mother, who, thank God, was weeping more than I had. "It really was a nice weddin'... not too bad for your first, huh?" I told John, rounding on him and smiling.

"It was a nice weddin'," he agreed.

"You don't sound like you enjoyed it," I pointed out.

"It's not that I didn't enjoy it," he began, looking a little apologetic. "I didn't know anyone," he admitted.

"I know, I'm sorry, I should've considered–" I began, feeling like an idiot for not having taken that bit into account. He was my date, but as the maid of honor I didn't get to sit with him and I probably wouldn't be with him all the time during the reception either.

"Don't worry about it," John smiled, touching my cheek and sending a bolt of electricity running down my spine, igniting a new fire in the pit of my belly. "There was a really sexy maid of honor that I was more than happy to focus my attention on," he said playfully.

It took a moment for my brain to react to the fact that he'd called me sexy, and when it did the fire in my belly turned into a full on inferno, causing my whole face and neck to flush a serious shade of red. I cursed myself for not being able to flirt back, to tell him something that would make him feel the way I was feeling right now.

I really wasn't good at flirting. Instead, like a complete loser, I ducked my head and used my blonde curls as curtains to try and hide my face. He tipped my chin back up however, forcing me to meet his gaze. God, his eyes were so intense right now, and that devilish smile...

I wanted to kiss that smirk right off his face... and I did.

The only time we'd kissed since our date a week ago was in front of my car this morning, so it was definitely a long time coming. I was the one that initiated it this time, finding myself with an unusual bout of confidence. I reached for the back of his head, tangling my fingers in his soft black hair, pulling his face down towards me.

His lips found mine and everything exploded within me in a heated moment of bliss. The blood in my veins was roaring and my heart kept urging me to go on, to beg for more. I pulled back however, despite the agony it caused me to do so. We couldn't do this, not here, not in a Church. People could walk in at any moment.

"We'll have to pick this up later," I told him breathlessly, letting my fingers wander over the rough skin of his stubbly cheek.

"Mm, good plan," he said a little breathlessly too, his accent thicker and huskier than usual. "I'm thinkin' thoughts I really shouldn't be thinkin' in a Church."

I tried to restrain myself, but a giggle left my lips as I wrapped my arm around the one he offered me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

995 97 16
Kayleigh Harper has always had a heart of gold. Now a young woman at the age of 25 she has accomplished all her dreams except one. Love. She graduate...
18.2K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...
2M 53.5K 53
[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind: passing the 12th grade and going to a g...
9.6K 1K 37
Forced to marry a man she doesn't know; Abbie has no choice but to move on the secluded ranch and into a ran down cabin. Surrounded by acres of woods...