Hiding the Truth (One Piece)

By Enenra

We all know the infamous Straw Hat pirate's captain Monkey D. Luffy's brothers are Portagas D. Ace and Sabo... More

Hiding the Truth
Chapter 1 - Arriving in Alabasta
Chapter 2 - Meeting my Brother
Chapter 3 - Family Reunion
Chapter 4 - Making our way to Yuba
Chapter 5 - To Rainbase we go
Chapter 6 - Confrontations with Crocodile
Chapter 7 - Battle with Crocodile
Chapter 8 - Quickly to the Capital
Chapter 9 - The Fight with Baraque Works
Chapter 10 - Around the Palace
Chapter 11 - Farewell Alabasta
Chapter 12 - The Davy Back Fight
Chapter 13 - Losing One
Chapter 14 - Redemption
Chapter 15 - Aokiji
Chapter 16 - Water 7
Chapter 17 - Train Ride
Chapter 18 - Rescue Mission
Chapter 19 - Fighting for Another
Chapter 20 - Unwanted Reminders
Chapter 21 - Recovering and Grandpa
Chapter 22 - The Devil's Triangle
Chapter 23 - Talking Skeletons and the Invisible Man
Chapter 24 - We're off to see the Ghosts
Chapter 25 - Counting Down
Chapter 26 - The Nightmare on Thriller Bark
Chapter 27 - Life Without a Shadow... & More
Chapter 28 - Unleashing Rage
Chapter 30 - Heart to Heart
Chapter 31 - Meet Keimi and a Walking Talking... STARFISH?!
Chapter 32 - Sabaody Archipelago
Chapter 33 - No Going Back
Chapter 34 - Torn Apart
Chapter 35 - And So The War Begins
Chapter 36 - Saving Ace
Chapter 37 - Disbelief At It's Finest
Chapter 38 - Two Years Later
Chapter 39 - The Kraken's Awakening
Chapter 40 - Fishman Island
Chapter 41 - Heroes? As If
Chapter 42 - Punk Hazard Bound
Chapter 43 - Winter Wonderland
Chapter 44 - Never A Decent Clown
Chapter 45 - The Start of New Adventures
Chapter 46 - Collisions and Conflicts
Chapter 47 - One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
Chapter 48 - A Certain Surprise
Chapter 49 - Memories
Chapter 50 - Warmth
Special Chapter - Film: GOLD (Part 1)

Chapter 29 - The Will to Live

5.3K 228 12
By Enenra

Okay first things first... OH MY GOD!!! I just hit 24K views and 1K votes, I think I'm going to faint. Anyway that was my way of saying thank you to anyone that bothered to click on my story and decided to read it 'cause those numbers wouldn't be possible without all of you. Don't forget to comment and yep. 

On with the story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanji's POV

Everyone had taken refuge within the remains of the mansion that had stood in all its glory no less than 12 hours ago. They had gathered around several campfires that had been lit in the aftermath, sitting close to the only source of warmth they could find in this damp and dark island. The injured, including Lana, had been gathered under an outcrop of rocks which acted as a form a shelter, so Chopper and anyone with some semblance of medical experience could help take care of them. 

Watching the bustle that everyone created in the aftermath of the battle that had just taken place, it was hard to believe how hopeless the situation had seemed at the time, no one really expecting us to win against a Warlord with such immense power. As my gaze lingered on the downed brunette, the frustration and confusion only continued to build. After the two pirates explained to me what happened after I had passed out made me think back on our crewmate. 

Did we really know Lana? 

We all were vaguely aware of each other's stories, but she was a complete mystery. The only thing we knew was that she was Luffy's blood relative, and anything we'd learned along the way from our adventures together. I walked away from the crowd, wanting some peace to assemble my thoughts on the matter. Leaning back against a partially intact wall, with a lit cigarette in hand, I regarded the dreary surroundings as my thoughts ran a mile a minute. 

"I can see you're deep in thought, huh, Sanji-san?" Robin approached my still figure, sitting on a boulder that lay beside me. Nodding my head to show I'd acknowledged her presence, I turned back to the still trees, hoping for some clarity on what had occurred hours ago. 

Robin released a muted sigh, drawing her knees closer to her and resting her head on them. "I understand what you're going through. I heard what the two pirate men said in regards to Lana" I was slightly surprised as that, not realising she had been near us when that conversation had happened. However, considering her abilities, I shouldn't have put it passed her to find out what was going on.

"I just don't get it. Why, is my only question" I said lowering my voice with every word, not wanting to risk the others overhearing us. Robin unexpectedly placed her hand on my shoulder in a form of comfort, offering a short smile in comfort. In any other occasion, I would have fawned over her for her actions but I was too wrapped up in the dilemma I was facing.

"Listen here, Sanji-san," the clipped tone in her voice made me stiffen in anticipation and fear, her tone was a stark contrast to her actions, her hand still gripping my shoulder lightly. It was baffling to see our normally stoic and light-hearted archaeologist switch to such an aggressive manner, but I knew what she was about to tell me was something that needed to be kept between us.

"What happened in Lana's past is not something that should be spoken of lightly. It is something that even I don't entirely know of, but what I have witnessed wasn't anything pleasant. So please..." I held my breath as she patted my shoulder with a void expression. "Do not make assumptions of things we both know nothing about. When, or if, Lana decides to divulge that part of her life to us, we can only offer our support" with those words, she stood and walked towards the others that were being treated by Chopper and a few others. No matter how suspicious or curious I was, was it worth unveiling? At the expense of the trust Lana had given us.

Lana's POV

The sounds of cups clashing and excited murmurs awoke me from the blissful nothingness I'd expected, or hoped, was death. My eyes flashed open with a start, taking in all the harsh colours that bombarded my vision. The realisation that I was in fact alive cause me to shoot up from what felt like a table that I guessed the others had laid me on. 

Why wasn't I dead? I was supposed to be dead!

"LANA!!" a huge furry creature leaped at me, pulling me down with its weight. Looking down with bewilderment, my mind couldn't fully comprehend what was going on, still addled with sleep and confusion. When Chopper's tear stained face met my blank one, blubbering words of hurt and admonishment, I could only offer him a small smile as a form of reassurance, seeing as the knowledge that I was really back from the dead had finally settled in.

"Hey Chopper. It good to see you alive" I spoke softly, placing my bandaged hand on his head. The sight of my bandaged hand was a surprise, last I remembered, I hadn't been able to see. That only meant that I, along with the others, had gotten our shadows back. 

"Do you have any idea how worried we were?!" Someone shouted, hitting me on the head in aggravation. Looking up in complaint, I was met with Nami's scowling face, the smiling faces of my nakama hovering over her shoulder. The relief at seeing their faces was staggering, had I been standing, I was sure I would have been brought to my knees in alleviation. However, the happiness I felt from seeing them all alive was quickly replaced with the enormous amount of pain that hit me like a hurricane. The drunken shouts and yells weren't exactly helping the throbbing headache that pounded against my skull.

"Oi, give her some space. Don't you see you're all crowding her" An annoyed voice spoke up from behind them, the rest turning to shout their complaints at the nonchalant disposition the crew's resistant swordsman had. 

"Good to see you too, Marimo" Sarcasm laced my voice as I swung my feet off the edge of the table, moving to stand on even ground. A grunt was his only reply, as he downed a tankard of hard liquor, making me cringe at the imaginary taste. A blur of orange and blue launched at me, sending the both of us crashing into the wall behind the table I was on. Everyone cry of shock was blocked by the harsh head-pounding the movement had caused, the cloud of dust the crash had stirred up not doing me any favours as I tried to cough the substance out of my lungs.  Groaning at the heightened pain, my brother's grinning face was the first thing I could see in the mess of rubble.

"YOU IDIOT!" Everyone screamed at my fool of a brother, who could only sheepishly rub the back of his head.

"Sorry, sorry" Luffy smiled, brushing the dust and rubble of himself before jumping up and running off to the long table that held a wide variety of food and drinks. The loud shouts from the others really weren't helping the migraine that was growing in strength with every minute I stayed in the same room with these imbeciles. Getting to my feet, it took me a moment to get used to the spinning surroundings.

"Hey Chopper?" At my call, our doctor turned towards me, weaving through the crowd until he was standing at my feet. I'd noticed he had changed from his human sized figure and back to his small lovable reindeer form. Bending down to speak at eye level, it took all my willpower not to scream in pain as I exerted my back muscles. "I'm going to head to the Sunny to rest. I'm not feeling too well, okay?" I asked and Chopper's only reply was a fierce nod, encouraging my decision to get away from the madness that the crews celebratory dinner was quickly becoming.

"Would you like me to take you back?" I smiled and shook my head at his offer, not wanting to pull him away from the festivities.

"Thanks, but I think I'll be alright" Before I could leave, something quickly grabbed the hem of my shirt, stopping my attempts at a quick escape. Looking down, Chopper's hoof had a firm grip onto me, his worried gaze not straying from my own eyes.

"You know, you had the rest of us really worried. You shouldn't be moving, let alone alive" He chided, and once again I bent down so I was eye-level with him. Reaching my hand out, I patted him on the head and sighed.

"It would have been better for you all if I did" I offered him a sad smile, ignoring his shock as I gently pried his grip off to move away. What took me by surprise though was when he grew to his abnormal human size, gripping my shoulders with a hard glare distorting his normally soft features.

"Don't say that!" He shouted catching everyone's attention. I frowned at the attention we'd gained, but it didn't seem to faze Chopper. He continued to glare down at me, the intensity forcing me to lower my gaze down to the floor, not wanting to see the distraught look in his eyes.

"Don't ever say it would have been better if you died!" He shouted as if he hoped that his raised voice would reach my ears. "Do you even know how much you mean to us?" His voice too low to make out, I looked up to meet his watering eyes. Chopper grip on my shoulders was becoming tighter and tighter until I could feel blood being drawn. Someone from behind me reached forward, loosened his grip on me and I looked over my shoulder to meet Robin's kind eyes trained on me.

"Its okay Chopper, come with me Lana" Without another word, she led me out of the hall where its occupants had yet to make a sound.

"I don't understand" I stated as we were nearing the Thousand Sunny, my lethargic gaze trailing over the small stones and blades of grass we passed. Robin tilted her head in confusion, waiting me to complete my words. "I thought it was pretty obvious"

"What is Lana?" Robin asked softly, as if her voice would shatter what was left of me.

"That I'd given up on living"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 376 14
"Ocean blue eyes looking in mine, I feel like I might sink and drown and die." A simple girl, daughter of a pirate captain, meets the future "...
97.4K 2.5K 30
We all know the story of the ASL Trio. What you didn't know is that they had a sister who left them when they were little. Who is she? Is she still a...
22.3K 767 10
Y/n is the little brother of Monkey D. Luffy and the both of them always dreamed of become pirates, except Luffy wanted to be the King of Pirate. Y...
126K 2.8K 18
A girl lost her only family and started to live her own normal life and go on an adventure. Then one day, she met the Innocent Captain, Monkey D. Lu...