Philophobia (Jonathan Crane...

By Vintagemusictaylor

Philophobia: the abnormal, persistent and unwarranted fear of falling in love or emotional attachment. The r... More

Disclaimer/Song List
Sweet Death Angel
I love you anyway
Red Lipstick
Misty Memories
Enigma
One Noun: Love
One Pronoun: Me
Shattering Perspective
Sign Your Name On The Dotted Line
And It All Fell Down
Let Me Make My Choice
Blurry Mind & Clouded Eyes
Men Must Love You
I Want To Meet You Again
Normal Day?
Only Dreams can Turn To Nightmares
Stepping Through Doors
Castle On The Hill
Personal Update From Author

The Three Musketeers

541 25 22
By Vintagemusictaylor

"The friend who holds your hand and says the wrong thing is made of dearer stuff than the one who stays away." 

- Barbra Kingsolver

"Ed," I glance at my friend annoyed that I'm sitting in front of Oswald's bar and not in Bruce's arms.

"We need a plan," he explains, rolling his eyes.

"I should tell Bruce," I unbuckle my seat belt, Edward does the same.

"Why would we do that? What could that playboy do? We could call Batman. I kind of don't want him knowing me. Oswald would feel the same way."

"What are you two planning on starting a life of crime?" I raise my eyebrow at him. I wouldn't put it past the two of them. They are both very smart. A whole new set of worrying will now have to go with that idea.

"Well Jonathan did it and I never saw that coming," he scoffs. I glare at him.

"Scarecrow had a lot to do with it."

"Cassandra," he laughs a little. "I know you want to make Jonathan seem like he's oh so innocent but he isn't. It's still his mind. It's still his body." I shake my head with vigor.

"You don't understand."

"I do understand that you are in love with him so of course you are going to try and see the best in him always. You have to understand, there are monsters in all of us."

"Batman doesn't know what I look like without my mask anyway," I smoothly lie.

"Exactly, fill him later. Now come on," he opens his door and I follow suit after taking out the eye color contacts.

I walk into the bar, its cold air hitting my skin and causing goosebumps.

"Edward what are you...?" Oswald starts but stops when he sees me. "My dear," he comes around the bar and hugs me closely.

"I'm fine. I'm safe. Don't worry about me," I smile at him pulling away.

Edward rolls his eyes and goes to grab a drink from behind the bar. Both Oswald and I turn our heads and glare at him.

"Don't you dare," we say at the same time. Eddie smirks at the two of us, backing away slowly from the alcohol.

"Thanks Mom and Dad," he sits down at the bar in annoyance.

I turn back to Oswald, rolling my eyes at the child like personality Edward sometimes has.

Oswald starts to laugh, simpering as he walks away from us and up to his office where I follow. Edward pushes himself off the bar stool and follows.

"Why was that funny?" He asks Oswald. I generally wondering myself and don't say a word. This brings a harder laugh to escape Oswald lips.

"Cassandra has a type. I find it very assuming that everyone she has dated are also interconnected."

"It isn't on purpose," I whine a little bit.

Oswald opens up his office door, his laughter dying down.

He holds his hand up as he takes to his desk, standing behind it with his hands folded. Edward closes the door with a soft click.

"I want everything explained in this room. We are the only three who are going to know everything until we have a clear plan."

"Where do you wanna start Penguin?" Edward rolls his eyes, already stressed out by the whole idea.

"Why are you wearing that costume?" Oswald points to me. "Why has Edward suddenly made an appearance back into all of our lives?" He rolls his eyes. "I thought Jonathan and I got rid of you." Edward flips him off. I slap his hand in anger. "What's going on with this Alice girl? Who is she?"

"We are going to need to sit," I sigh.

"I need a drink," Edward replies.

"No," Oswald and I say.

"You are awful drunk," I glare at him. He puts his hands up in surrender.

We all stand there, the three of us talking in mundane language rather than in riddles and lies. I tell Edward and Oswald about The White Queen, about what I know about Alice. Oswald fills in few gaps with The White Queen that I missed, about the girls that have been coming out of the woodwork to go after me all having Jonathan in common. Edward tells us about Jonathan in detail, not looking at me as he does. He explains that Jonathan is as I thought somewhere trapped in his mind unable to come out. Scarecrow has taken full force and the only reason that Eddie hasn't been hurt is because Scarecrow generally likes him. I bit my lip during it all wondering more about Jonathan but knowing that he doesn't matter as much as Alice.

"This blows my mind," Oswald breathes, finally taking out his chair and sitting down.

"Who knew the bitch first?" I turn to Eddie.

"Johnny," he tuts, sitting down on the sofa chair in exhaustion, I walk over and sit on his lap, he brings up my legs and I rest my head on his shoulder. "You have to eat you know," he gently whispers in my ear. I know he means well however it still upsets me.

"You're not my father or Bruce. You're just my best friend," I jokily reply. He gives me a weak smile. "You two didn't fight over her?"

"Please, I let him have her anything that would get him out of that dark cloud he constantly had over his head," he looks at me, his eyes narrowing. "You were the girl in college."

"What?" I smirk, completely confused.

"No way," Oswald grins from ear to ear.

"What are you two going on about now?" I sigh and turn to glare at Edward.

"One night," Oswald laughs and Eddie joins in.

"We got so drunk," Eddie adds in.

"So drunk," Oswald snorts.

"This story is so much better when Johnny tells it," Edward reminds him. Oswald nods in agreement. "Anyway we shared stories. I mentioned first kisses."

"No," I glare at Edward some more.

"Please Care Bear you weren't my first kiss," Edward assures me. I roll my eyes, telling him without a word that isn't what I meant.

"Jonathan was the oldest to have his first kiss. His was better than ours."

"Stop it. I was not his first kiss," I deny that idea swiftly.

"Why would he lie?" Oswald rolls his eyes.

"Senior in college, valedictorian takes really hot girl he was in love with back to her dorm room. Doesn't have...," I don't let Edward finish slapping his arm in anger.

"You would have to admit they are cute together," Oswald grins, taking a sip of vodka from his desk.

"Just the cutest," Edward admits.

My mind grows heavy at the thought of Jonathan. His bedroom, his touch, his monotone voice, his arms around me, and his fears of being loved so apparent with every soft sweet word he said to me. I miss him. I miss him so much. I need him back. I need that person back.

"We're going to get him back my dear," Oswald's eyes grow wide at the tears that have formed in my eyes. Edward holds me tighter in a comforting jester.

"I've been trying to let him go," I admit to them both. It's the first time I've said it out loud.

I can't tell Naomi about Jonathan. She hates him for leaving me. She loves Bruce now and believes that I should stay with him even if that, "devil with the blue eyes" comes and tries to get me back.

Harley understands me still being in love with a crazy man. I mean she's in love with the Joker. I'm silently waiting for the day when I get a call that he has broken out of Arkham with my friend as the helper. Not like I wouldn't understand her doing it. Love is a driving force for almost everything we do. It isn't like I would help her. That man scares me. But Jonathan scares her and she can still understand me.

Oh and Julia. I laugh a little in my head. Scarecrow took care of her, drove her so insane that even when she was in Arkham just the mere sight of me and a small smile she killed herself in the next hour. I was happy about that. I hated that bitch.

These two boys were my most understanding lot in my life. I owned it to myself to be honest to someone. The two of them can also take care of themselves if something goes wrong. Not like it would I hope.

"And marry Bruce Wayne? I don't mean to sound harsh but he isn't your equal," Oswald says softly.

"He is sexually apparently," I slap Edward again. "Sorry," he mutters, he doesn't really mean it.

"Yeah bullshit..." I don't finish as my phone rings.

"Hello," I say and hear a sigh.

"I'm glad you're alive," Naomi replies.

"Who is it?" Oswald whispers.

"My Ex," Edward moves his head back and forth in a joking manner.

"Are you with Edward right now?" Naomi asks me.

I bite my lip, "Him and I were friends in high school... So yes..."

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Naomi doesn't sound mad just confused.

"I didn't know you were dating this Edward."

"Did you and him...?" I look back to Edward.

He shakes his head with vigor and mouths, 'don't you dare.'

'You owe me,' I mouth back. He makes a crossing heart action.

"No we didn't."

Oswald groans, "You are both awful people."

"Like you wouldn't do the same thing," Edward snaps back.

"All this time... I don't think I can go out with your friend. I'm not over Edward... Can he hear me?" Naomi questions.

I look back over my shoulder at my friend, a large smile on his lips.

"No," I say to her. "Oswald won't be upset at all," I assure her, looking to him for conformation.

Oswald shakes his head and winks at Edward. I would love to know how the three of them met... My three favorite boys in the whole world. I smile a little, maybe if Jonathan comes back to me.... The four of us can sit with drinks in hands, I sitting nestled in Jonathan's lap, never letting go of him as his arm stays protectively around my waist never faltering, they can tell me all about it.

"Do you think he can forgive me?"

I bite my lip, yes he can. Yes he has. I think of Jonathan. I have to see him. I have to tell him I love him. I don't care if that means dealing with Scarecrow. I could love him as deeply. I don't care if that means that he would use me as a test dummy for all of his experiments. All I know is I need my mad scientist back.

"He already has. He loves you so much," I tell her as if I'm telling myself.

"Can you put him on the phone?"

"Sure," I smile brightly and hand Edward the phone.

Naomi starts to speak. Eddie taps my ass; I smack his hand away and get up. He smirks and winks at me.

"You have your own ass to touch now. Never again or you're going to lose that hand of yours," I threaten him, gritting my teeth.

"I wouldn't mind having a hook for a hand." There is a pause on the line. "No Cassandra was threatening me. Yes of course about us," he winks again. "I missed you too my love."

I sigh and fall back on the chair. Oswald walks over handing him his glass; I take a sip thanking him.

"You know it won't be that simple with Jonathan...," Oswald says.

"I'm not sure if I want to include him in this. I mean shouldn't I deal with Alice on my own?"

Oswald squirts his eyes at my statement as though I'm being stupid. "Alice is his monster not yours. He has to know about her. I don't know how or who you want to be when you tell him. I want him to know as soon as he can."

"Why don't you or Edward tell him?"

"I'm not getting killed," Edward comes back in.

"That conversation was brief," I note glancing up at him.

"She's calling Bruce and explaining tonight to him."

"Why aren't I?" I look up at him with questioning.

"Because Bruce still thinks you are at work."

I sigh.

"You have to stop lying to your fiancé," Edward observers by my distress.

"Or break off the relationship and go back and live in your own God Damn house. You are a grown woman not a man's play thing," Oswald cuts in with his own opinion.

My mouth goes slack at Oswald's outburst.

"I can't believe you swore," Edward laughs a little bit.

"Oh grow up," I roll my eyes at Edward. "Why can't you tell Jonathan?" I roll my eyes, "Scarecrow what's going on?"

"Because you can't keep avoiding him."

"That's one reason. Tell her the truth; you and Scarecrow hate one another. He killed Oswald's girlfriend."

"What?"

"It was years ago," Oswald glares at his friend.

"Yeah but you still hate Scarecrow."

"Fine. I hate the bastard. I wish he would die. Not Jonathan, just that madman in his head."

"How can you still be friends with Jonathan?"

He sighs and looks into my eyes, "That wasn't Jonathan who did it. It isn't the first time that Jonathan has fallen off the deep end and lost himself."

"Alice was the first that I know of," Edward nods at Oswald.

"What brought him back to normal?"

The two of them look at one another.

"I always thought it was you," Edward says honestly.

"At this point, that's the only idea we have," Oswald agrees with him.

"So you think poof I talk to Scarecrow Jonathan comes rushing back into the forefront of his mind. I don't think so."

"No I don't either," Edward crosses his arms at his chest and leans up against Oswald desk. Oswald slaps him with a rolled up newspaper.

"You both need to learn how to use your words. I'm not a punching bag." He reaches over and takes the drink from my hands, sipping it. "You are both awful people. This is alcohol and you told me I couldn't have any."

***
"I'll see you tonight," I wave as Edward drives away. I told him to drop me off at the main entrance of Wayne manner to give a little while before I have to see Bruce.

I want to clear my mind before I see him. I have to pull myself together. No longer wanting to be the psycho bitch. I have to show them all I'm in a sound mind and body.

As I walk the only sound I hear is the gravel under my shoes. Until I hear the snapping of twigs. My mind goes on red alert and my body sends a wave of adrenaline.

"Who is it?" I ask my voice harsh and demanding. The tree behind me rustling in response. I turn around and scan the woods, not seeing anything I start to walk again.

Over and over I hear the noise. I know better than to run.

"Scarecrow," I test out the name on my lips, the noise stops. "If you think that spying on me will make you feel better you are wrong and the next time you do it I will kill you and don't doubt me on that." My voice sounds way too convincing.

I hear nothing, then the crunching of gravel. The noise sounds like... high heels. That isn't Jonathan... That's Alice.

"I don't think you would kill him my lovers little pet," her shrill voice calls out. I grab onto my knife and turn around, throwing it to where I hear her voice. In the distance I see her catch it, she smirks at me. "You and I will have a lot of fun together. I can't wait to play our little game."

I stand in horror at the person that Jonathan has created.

"Go ahead and kill me," I scream at her, putting my hands out wide.

"Kill you? Oh no I'm not going to kill you," she giggles. "Jonathan or Scarecrow will do that for me."

I don't have time to reply as Bruce's car comes speeding down the road, when he sees me he slams on the breaks.

"Cassandra what the fuck?" He calls from the window. I run to the car, throwing open the door.

"Drive," I scream at him.

"What is going on?"

"Jonathan has a crazy ex-girlfriend who is trying to kill me."

Bruce gives me a perplexed expression, "Are you trying to be funny?"

"No," I scream.

Bruce looks in the rear-view mirror, his brown eyes grow wide.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," he says, stepping on the gas with full force. We speed away from her, he doesn't stop at the house but goes around the back and hits a button, the Batcaves fourth secret entrance comes up from the ground, he drives right into it.

Only when the car is parked and our breathing is regular does he turn to me and say,

"And I thought I had crazy ex-girlfriends."

Authors Note: Thank you so much for reading. I wanted to do this chapter because the three of them need to have their shit together. It is also important to build backstories which I live for.

I couldn't think of a song for this chapter. I just got into Halsey so her album is the only one I've been listening to.
The next chapter is the dinner. Oh Scarecrow... Are you going to show up?

See you all soon.
XOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Toxin By Nobody

Fanfiction

288 44 8
🔞 In the shadowed alleys of Gotham, a tale unfolds around Jonathan Crane, also known as the Scarecrow. This story delves into the depths of his torm...
1.3K 63 13
Book 1 Theodore Wayne was left alone when Bruce Wayne disappeared 7 years ago after the trial of his parents' killer. Not being able to handle the ab...
233K 5.1K 40
Dating the Joker (especially the hot, Heath Ledger-type Joker) is a dream of many Batman fangirls (me! ME!!!!!! But only if I can't have The Scarecro...
152K 7K 78
You are consumed by your fear. Which is why you have the greatest potential. Jonathan Crane has long been immune to fear. Until he becomes afraid to...