Chocolate Hearts | Jongin

By redvelvetts

It was ironic that she'd work in a patisserie, handing out chocolate hearts to hopeful couples when she'd giv... More

Foreword + Playlist
01. Sweet Surprise
02. A Friend and a Request
03. Delivery
04. Party
05. Star Struck
06. Not Alone
07. At Ease
08. Movies and Chocolate
09. Hurt
10. Disorientated
11. Propositions
12. Moonlight
13. First Step
14. Flour Fights
16. Breathless
17. Moving On
18. Effortless
19. Decision
20. Official
21. Cloud Nine
22. Day Out
23. Relapse
24. Changed
25. Plans
26. Celebration
Epilogue

15. Comfort

1.1K 48 17
By redvelvetts

Chocolate Hearts
Chapter Fifteen
Comfort

Nari just about jumped out of her skin when Jongdae rang.

She'd been so absorbed in her book that she hadn't noticed much else and, on top of that, it had been quiet, her mind lost in thoughts about the past two weeks and endless dance practices and baking sessions with Jongin. She'd just about mastered Moonlight now, and last time she and Jongin baked they ate the entire batch of jam tarts they'd made. He'd mentioned that Taemin would be coming back in a few days, so it wouldn't be too long until they all met up.

Her phone's ringtone seemed to come out of nowhere and on top of giving her a heart attack, nearly caused her to miss the call as she recovered from the shock.

"Nari, hey," Jongdae greeted brightly, after Nari gasped a hello into the phone. "Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and I are going cycling, do you want to join us?"

She beamed. "Sure. It's been too long."

"We're nearby now, about five minutes away. We'll see you then!"

Nari grinned and bade her friend goodbye before she hung up. As soon as she put her phone down she dashed to her bedroom and put on clothes more suitable for cycling, namely her tracksuit pants, and a jumper over her sweater. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail, laced up her sneakers, then grabbed her helmet and wheeled her bike outside so she could meet everyone as they arrived.

A minute after she stepped outside the others arrived; Baekhyun let go of one of the handles to wave at her. They dismounted in front of her. Nari beamed at them all. It had been too long since she'd really seen any of them.

Baekhyun was the first to approach her. "Nari!" the lead singer greeted eagerly, hugging her. "How are you? It's been too long since we properly met up!"

"I'm good," she responded, and soon found herself being dwarfed by Chanyeol, who too greeted her with a quick embrace.

"Kai keeps stealing you, so we've hardly seen either of you," the tall male said, as Nari quickly turned to greet Jongdae with a warm smile and found herself enveloped in one of Jongdae's famous bear-hugs.

Baekhyun nodded in agreement. "Kai already stays behind later to practice, but now he meets up with you as well. It's almost as though he prefers your company to our own!" He pretended to pout, which made Nari laugh, though her cheeks were now tinged pink.

Is Jongin really spending that much time with me now? Since when did that happen?

"And then when he is around, he won't shut up about you!" Chanyeol added. It sounded a bit like he was complaining.

She mustn't have been the only one to pick up on it, because Baekhyun laughed.

"Chanyeol's a bit put out about it," he said, ignoring Chanyeol's glare. "He is Kai's biggest fan, after all, and you're stealing him away."

Nari's eyes widened and she waved her hands frantically. "Jah! Stop!" she exclaimed. "We're just friends! I'm not trying to steal him away or anything!"

The others stared at her for a moment, then simultaneous burst into laughter.

Jongdae grinned as Nari stared dumbfounded at the others.

"They're teasing," he snickered, and placed an arm around her shoulders. "Though I must say, your reaction was cute."

Nari rolled her eyes and pushed his arm off, hoping her offhand action hid how flustered she was. "Let's just go."

The wind whistled in their ears as they cycled down a path that must have been familiar to the others, since they turned without consulting each other. Nari remained at the back with Jongdae while Chanyeol and Baekhyun remained at the front, so she wouldn't miss any turns.

Nari hadn't been cycling in ages, and forgotten how much fun it could be. She laughed when they went down steep hills, their bikes continuing to gather speed. She grinned, and thought that her smile might remain frozen on her face due to the chilly wind.

Jongdae moved his bike closer so he was near Nari.

"Hey Nari," Jongdae said presently, raising his voice slightly to be heard over the wind whipping in their ears.

Nari grinned. "Hey, Jongdae."

"How are you?"

"Good." After a pause she beamed and added, "Better than good, actually. I'm just really happy."

"I've noticed," her friend said, a soft smile on his lips. "I'm glad. After that party and your decision to make up with your brother, I was really worried. But now I know I needn't have been."

Nari bit her lip; not a good decision when she was cycling, as she cycled over a stone in the pathway and cried out, feeling blood seep from a cut in her lip. She scowled, but her expression softened when she saw Jongdae look across at her in concern.

"You shouldn't have to constantly be worrying about me, Jongdae," she said lowly. "That's not your job."

He shook his head. "You're my best friend and like a younger sister to me. Of course I'm concerned about you."

"But you're busy, what with Exo and your own individual activities. I don't want to be a burden."

Jongdae frowned. "Yong Nari, you are anything but a burden," he said firmly. "You're my best friend, and that's never going to change."

Nari felt tears in her eyes that were nothing to do with the cold. She blinked rapidly. Jongdae was too good. He was just always there, a constant support she could rely on. She treasured her friendship with him more than almost anything else. She didn't know if she let him know enough just how good he was.

That was something that needed to change.

"Thanks, Super Star," she said quietly. She repeated it a little louder when he couldn't hear her. "You're a pretty amazing best friend, you know?"

"Anytime, Sugar Rush. I'm always here if you need me." Jongdae glanced back in front and cried out. "Yah, they've gone ahead of us!" He started to pedal harder and looked back over his shoulder. "Come on!"

Laughing, Nari started to cycle harder. Her thighs burned slightly with the effort but she didn't care; she loved the feeling of the wind whipping against her face as she sped up, the cold causing her eyes to start stinging with tears.

They finally caught up with Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who had just started slow to slow down. They glanced back as the other two neared.

"We were wondering where you were," Baekhyun called, as Jongdae and Nari fell just behind them.

"You'd only just noticed we'd fallen behind?" Jongdae demanded.

Baekhyun sent an accusing glare Chanyeol's way. "Chanyeol was distracting me!"

Chanyeol spluttered. "What did I do?"

This started a debate between them. Nari glanced a look at Jongdae, and they both rolled their eyes.

"Let's stop at a cafe for coffee or something," Nari said loudly, cutting over their banter. "I don't know about you but my face and hands are frozen."

It was true; she could barely feel her fingers anymore. She wondered if it would've been a better idea to wear gloves.

"The wind is a bit nippy tonight, isn't it?" Baekhyun noted, thankfully stopping the argument. "Let's go."

They cycled for about five more minutes before they came across a store that was still open. It took Nari some time to prise her stiff, frozen fingers off the handlebars.

Leaving their bikes by a table outside, they headed inside and placed their orders before returning outside. Nari shivered and huddled into Jongdae for protection against the light but chilly wind.

It's a shame, the night would have been lovely if not for this wind.

It didn't take long for their orders to arrive; Nari reached out and grabbed her coffee eagerly, moaning as the warmth began to defrost her numb fingers. She took a sip and signed, the warmth beginning to spread throughout her entire body.

She'd ordered a small something with her coffee to ease the slight knot in her stomach. The brownie she'd ordered was a little dry, but nonetheless enjoyable.

"Not as nice as your shop, Nari," Chanyeol said, after brief consideration. "But it's still nice." He took another bite.

Nari chuckled, cheeks pink. "Are you telling me that because it's the truth, or are you just being biased?"

"No, he's telling the truth," Baekhyun said. "I doubt any place could top yours, Nari."

"Oh, stop it," Nari mumbled. The others grinned, and she was aware of Jongdae beaming.

Nari picked up her coffee and took a long sip, hoping that if they could pick out the pink in her cheeks in the dim light, they'd all put it down to the steam rising from the coffee.

*          *          *

"I never imagined you would be this cook a cook, Nari," her mother said after she'd finished one. "These cookies are delicious."

Nari flushed, like she always did when someone complimented her cooking.

"It just took years of practice, Mum," she chirped. "I'm glad you like them."

Her mother smiled and helped herself another cookie.

Nari watched her mother closely as they continued to eat and sip at their drinks in silence. Her mother no longer flinched when Nari moved close to her, but there was still a fear in her eyes that wouldn't disappear quickly, Nari knew. Her mother might be fearful like that for weeks, even months, to come.

Other than that, it looked like she'd improved. She looked more alert and interested in the world than she had before, which was definitely a good sign. Her was carrying herself differently, too.

It looks like she's on the road to recovery. She wouldn't know fully until she asked, though.

"How are you, Mum?" Nari asked gently.

Her mother smiled, and pushed a lock of hair out of her eyes. "I'm getting better. Your brother's been a big help and support for me. He organised appointments with a psychologist for me, and that's helped me a lot."

Nari blinked, stunned. Before she had the opportunity to fully process those words her mother added. "He's also doing his best to help me with the divorce and court. On top of his job, I'm afraid he's working himself too hard."

Nari clenched her jaw tightly to prevent it from dropping open. She leaned back in her chair, shaking her head in amazement. "He was telling the truth then," she whispered.

It seemed almost impossible that Hyeon, who had treated her like she was nothing, was spending most of his time desperately trying to help his family and better her life.

Guilt twinged at her heart. Her brother had been working so hard to help her mother, but what had she been doing? Fretting over her feelings for Jongin and trying to organise more time to spend with him. She felt a little selfish in comparison.

Nari's mother frowned. "What was that?" she asked, having seen Nari's lips move but being unable to decipher what she'd said.

Nari quickly forced a smile on to her face. "Don't worry, Mum. I'm just, not used to Hyeon working so hard."

Her mother frowned like "What do you mean?"

Oh. I probably didn't choose the best words there.

Nari stretched the back of her dead, trying to decide the best way to word her next sentence.

"There have been a few bumpy patches," she said slowly, "But we're getting over those now. I'm ready to get to know him again."

Her mother smiled. "I'm glad. Our family is broken enough as it is."

"I agree," Nari mumbled.

Silence fell. Nari noticed her mother purse her lips out of the corner of her eyes.

"I don't think I'm the only one who's changed, though," she said thoughtfully. "You look happier, Nari. Your eyes are shining."

Nari's hands instantly reached up to touch the skin just below her eyes. She laughed softly.

"I've just found some really great friends." She smiled fondly, memories dancing across her mind, making her heart soar. "They're all really important to me."

"I'm glad," her mother whispered. "Hyeon mentioned you were rather quiet and withdrawn, so I was a bit worried... I'm glad you've found people to rely on. That makes all the difference when you're going through difficult times. I had no one, but I'm glad you do."

Nari's heart ached. She reached out at once and squeezed her mother's hand.

"You're not alone anymore, Mum," she said fiercely. "You have us. Me and Hyeon. Your children. You don't always have to be the one to protect us, you know. We can help you."

Nari thought she spotted tears pool in her mother's eyes. The older woman smiled sadly. "That's too much."

"It isn't," Nari said firmly. She moved so she was seated beside her mother, and hugged her. "Don't be strong for us. We've been exposed to the world and seen some unpleasant things. We love you, Mum, and just want you to be okay."

Her mother smiled and rested her head on Nari's shoulders to, as Nari suspected, to hide the emotion suddenly on her face. "Thank you, darling," she whispered.

Nari rapidly blinked, keeping sudden tears at bay.

"Any time, Mum."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 5.3K 55
[BAEKHYUN x READER] Y/n had to cover up the fact that she's Baekhyun's fangirl so she could get the job as his manager. Just when she thought it woul...
468K 21.5K 32
baekhyun desperately needs a job, so when a mysterious manager of a huge company offers him one he does not hesitate. even if the job comes with a st...
12.3K 182 6
{AU} Baekhyun, still young, became very sick and was in the hospital for the last month of his short lived life. His lover, Chanyeol, left alone to s...
11.3K 275 20
Having a hot,cute and kind boyfriend is what Kyungsoo and Jongin has and wanted, but having a nerdy one is what they didnt wish to have because thoug...