'Round Midnight

By seechelle

"Shorts" based on hard boiled detective stories, featuring a female heroine. More

Sam Stone
Don't Call It A Comeback
Sink or Swim
The Diamond Eye: A Sam Stone Story (pt. 1)
The Diamond Eye: A Sam Stone Story Pt. 2
The Diamond Eye: A Sam Stone Story Pt. 4
The Diamond Eye: A Sam Stone Story Pt. 5

The Diamond Eye: A Sam Stone Story Pt. 3

15 3 0
By seechelle

We set sail aboard the Berengaria out of New York. Five days with the woman you secretly love is a long time to find out about them intimately. Though we didn't share quarters - we did spend a lot of time in each other's presence. We had the whole ship if we needed space from each other and there were times that we did, not because we got on each other's last nerve, that wouldn't come till later, but because there were sensitive subjects that were hit on that gave us pause for reflection.

Life for those five days seemed magical as the time and ocean rushed by, evoking every bit of romance and intrigue we only read about in dime store novels. Everything from the people to the beauty of the sea scape wrapped us in an air of mystery. This was a journey for the books - I even caught her journaling! Now I'd be amiss if I said everything went smoothly. Samantha doesn't quite have the sea legs I have. She was green around the gills for three days until her body became use to the motion.

"How do people do it?"

"Some just have a stronger constitution than you have is all."

"Constitution...that's a piece of paper."

"...and you waver like one on the seas."

"Har har..."

"It'll get better the more you travel."

Not only that but we argued about her ex, Dominick, about which path we'd take once we made it to London and about the secretive nature of my past. I told her that I'd be an open book if she just gave me a little time and she promised. Telling her that I had been an orphan really threw her for a loop. Nothing bad but she figured I had parents that she needed to meet. I just had Father Michael Thompson or Father Tom as I called him. He took me in and gave me his last name and reared me to the best of his ability. We traveled a lot by ferry and ship to other orphanages to bring kids that couldn't and wouldn't be handled at their current destination. He had a huge heart for us "throw-a-ways" and decided to become a father to the fatherless. He thought it was what God wanted of him. Traveling to and from these places got me used to the water and the boats.

About the third day of the cruise we hit choppy waters due to the incoming storm off of the Atlantic. The ship fared well however- Samantha did not. She was a ball of nerves and anxiety. Her stomach was unsettled and for the first time I saw what fear looked like on her. I made sure to stick close even during our spats. A time would come when she'd have to do the same for me later in our journey but at that moment - there was just me taking care of my favorite girl.

"So where were you when I was hurking over the edge of the ship?"

"Close by. I saw you and made sure you were alright. I was just hiding in the shadows keeping an eye on ya."

"Hm..."

"You sound a little pleased at that."

"A little."

The last two days of our trip were met with rain and stormy skies - leaving London in a dense fog. Upon arriving, all I could do was quote my favorite book, Oscar Wilde's - The Picture of Dorian Gray - until she told me to knock it off. The ship had been enough of an annoyance, she didn't need me being another but she would soon come to know my love for book quotes.

We traveled to Countess' not so humble abode in London, with its opulence inside and out, taken in by the sheer beauty of it all. "So this is what museum work gets ya these days huh?" Samantha said beneath her breath as we entered into the foyer of what could only be described as a grand palace. Her staff cared for us as if we were A-1 guests at the Ritz. We rested in front of the bedroom fireplace to warm ourselves and mulled some things over that had arisen on our trip over, things that needed our immediate attention.

"Why didn't you kiss me?"

"Halt! Stop...no, no, no! What are you doing?"

"What?"

"They don't need or for that matter wanna hear about our personal mush. You should just skip this part and get on with the rest of the story."

"Well...this is a part of the story Samantha."

"But I don't think it's worth mentioning, I really think you should move on."

"It very much is. It shows the complexity of a forged relationship through all of its struggles; the archetypal bond between woman and man throughout a profound and at best character building adversity. We are in fact quintessential in our nature to the human instinct and maneuver with prowess within the structure of our being in our given environments."

"....." (mind-blown)

"But I digress- such interactions take a...finesse, if you will..."

"Hey, hey, hey...that's enough. Just make sure not to be so detailed."

"They need to know!"

"Know what? (Knowing look received.) No they don't either!"

"So anyways..."

"Why didn't you kiss me?

"I'm warning you."

"If I were a dirty rotten scoundrel that preyed on the ill-health of women with poor sea faring legs then I would have but as it were, I am cut from a different cloth. (makes scissor gesture with his hand.)

"Oh..."

"Yes?"

"Nothing - continue."

"I only report the truth ma'am."

"Be careful."

(laughter)

"Tony - when was the last time you were properly kissed?"

"A proper kiss? Never. Rushed hurried hormone induced kisses plenty."

"You took pretty good care of me when I was down. Perhaps more than you should have."

"It was my pleasure and one can never care too much. Remember that."

"What are we exactly? I mean I know we are business associates..."

"Partners. Business partners."

"Yes, but what else are we?"

"My, my - Ms. Stone, are you asking me to define our relationship?"

I just think that we should know where we're headed.

"To quote, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 'To define is to limit.'"

She jumped to temper in a hot second that threw me off guard, so I had to finesse the situation, sooth her ego and put out the flames before I got burned.

"Oh, so you're one of those mugs who wants all the women he can handle. Well good for ya, you won't be handling me!"

She turned her back and crossed her arms over her chest in the manner of a child in mid -tantrum. I leaned in carefully. I knew who I was dealing with - she'd taught me well to be careful and to always be on guard.

"Why are you covering your face?"

"It's embarrassing!"

"What is?

"That scene, just finish will ya, I'm getting anxious. What are you doing?"

"Pouting like you did then."

"Stop it or I'll give ya one for."

"Samantha!"(shock)

"I never said that, I'm simply saying that if we were something, a definition of it wouldn't do it any justice, partner."

"So...what are we?"

I moved in close, lifted her chin so that her gaze met mine. I looked deeper in her eyes and even deeper into her heart and liked what I found there. I wanted to tell her what we were exactly and was about to until there were sharp foreboding knocks at the bedroom door. It was the house boy.

"Begging your pardon Madame and Sir; dinner is served."

We pulled ourselves together and exited the room, she lead. I've always walked behind her. Not to be seen as a second class citizen or flunkie, but just so my girl would know that I have her back in everything she does. I was not put off or upset that she wanted me to make clear my intentions. I thought that my discontent at Dominick calling on her for favors was a dead giveaway but sometimes...you gotta show the ones you love just how deep in your heart they are.

She would know just what she meant to me and how deep my loyalty lay. She would know that if nobody in this world loved the mess that she is that there was surely one man that did. I'm not the wimp or kid that Dominick thinks I am "hanging on to her coat tails suckling at her teet", his words, instead, I am every bit the man he isn't and more.

"WOW."

"I mean every word."

"I know you do, but this is shaping up to be something even I can't walk away from. The mystery, the intrigue, the romance. He really said that to you? Even the suckling part?"

"Mm hm..."

"...." (mind blown.. again)

"No worries and we both know why; right?"

(Samantha nodding)

((Tony bumping her shoulder, she cracks a smile)

"Should we give them a sneak peek?"

"Nah! Let'em stew a bit. The story has to build."

"Not your mom and pops detective story."

"Hey I've heard that somewhere before...

"A detective said it, one better than I. See you aren't the only that can quote awesome people."

"What, ever am I going to do with you?"

"Keep talking like that sailor and I'll show ya."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fate By v xxxiri v

Short Story

19.3K 1.3K 11
"๐š†๐š‘๐šŽ๐š— ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐šข ๐šœ๐š๐š˜๐š™ ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š–๐šŽ ?" ๐™ฐ ๐Ÿท๐Ÿป ๐šข๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š› ๐š˜๐š•๐š, ๐š…๐š’๐šœ๐š‘๐š—๐šž ๐šŠ๐šœ๐š”๐šŽ๐š ๐šŒ๐š›๐šข๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐š‘๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š›๐š ๐š˜๐šž๐š. "๐š†...
108K 2.5K 51
Alissa Iris De Leรณn the daughter of both the Spanish and Italian Mafia. A week after she was born she was sent away from her 2 brothers to live with...
14.3K 199 8
แ€’แ€ฝแ€ฎแ€œแ€ญแ€„แ€บแ‹sex.adult.warning18+.แ€กแ€žแ€€แ€บแ€™แ€•แ€ผแ€Šแ€ทแ€บแ€žแ€ฑแ€ธแ€แ€ฒแ€ท 16.17แ€กแ€›แ€ฝแ€šแ€บแ€œแ€ฑแ€ธแ€แ€ฝแ€ฑแ€™แ€ญแ€ฏแ€ท แ€กแ€žแ€€แ€บแ€™แ€•แ€ผแ€Šแ€ทแ€บแ€แ€ฌแ€แ€ฝแ€ฑแ€™แ€€แ€ผแ€ญแ€ฏแ€€แ€บแ€›แ€„แ€บ แ€™แ€–แ€แ€บแ€•แ€ซแ€”แ€ฒแ€ทแ‹ school type แ€•แ€ซแ‹
10.9K 325 29
here you will find a few of my ideas. Have fun :) -Angst + Character death (Chapter 1) -slownburn??? Idk/Mialotte (Chapter2) -family drama (Chapter 3...