Encrypted Souls

By ChaeWinacott

Two men, one woman. There is a choice to be made, but what if some higher force chooses for them... More

Encrypted Souls
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-five.
Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Thirteen.

39 4 0
By ChaeWinacott

Chapter Thirteen.

Ross.

            The club has been jam-packed all week and the people seem to be in a frenzy. There appears to be far more woman in here lately than men, and truly that never really happens. Usually there is a pretty equal amount of both genders – never a substantial amount more of one than the other. I have always figured that this is because of the obvious… most woman fear finding their mate. Some of them go searching for them, ready to go on with their lives and start a family. The men in here are looking to get laid, simple as that. But lately things seem off balance – just odd.

            Maybe it’s all in my head. Perhaps I’m just overthinking it since I have so much on my mind. Thoughts and images of Evaline have been dancing around in my head nonstop, and every opportunity to escape the incredibly distracting and draining memories of her I get; I take.

            I have thought little of the woman that suddenly showed up in my office that one night, a few weeks ago. I can’t forgive myself for doing what I did with her, especially knowing that she is Evaline’s best friend. I can only assume that Evaline knows what happened between her and I, by now. I wonder how she feels about it? Is it possible for her to be angry, or even jealous over me? Does she care about me enough to feel those things?

            What angers me to the bone though is knowing that my dearest Evaline’s best friend is actually a backstabbing female. A true friend could not do to her what she has done. Unless she didn’t know about me - something tells me that she knew all about me though. Who are the bad guys in this?

            I run my hands through my hair in frustration. I’m not supposed to be thinking about all of this crap, I have got a business to run for God’s sakes. There are thirty employees that are expecting the payroll to be completed by tomorrow night, the inventory has to be looked over and sent through, there are contracts to be negotiated and bills to be processed and paid. This job was easy enough when I didn’t have anyone or anything to interfere with it – or more like, cloud my head with nonsense. I’m good with numbers, not love.

            Love has always been an afterthought in my mind, and whenever the thought of being in a relationship with my mate lingered for a second too long, I quickly diminished it by focusing on my solely owned business. And the business is thriving! I have made it so far on my own – so successful. And then what happens?

            Evaline.

            I can’t even say that I regret meeting her in that grocery store. Her face is permanently carved into my mind. When I think of her smile, I smile. Every time I replay our second kiss I am overwhelmed with passion and have to squirm to readjust myself. It’s just so damned distracting! If we could only be together… Or even see each other on a more regular basis, and then just maybe it would help me. I miss her so much, which is why I think I can’t stop imagining her.

We haven’t spoken, haven’t written and I haven’t even heard her name spoken out loud; except for when I have accidentally let it slip from my lips when I’m alone.

 A few weeks have felt like an eternity.

I can almost feel the barriers being broken and the walls keeping Evaline from me being cracked. I have to see her tonight, even if we can only appear as friends – it has got to happen. I place the payroll list – which I have been absently staring at - down on my desk, and rummage through my pocket for my cellphone. My hand shakes a little in anticipation. 

The phone rings.

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

“Hello?” Her voice is like a heavenly choir.

“Hey, Evaline.” I give her a second to register my voice. “How are you?”

“I, uh…” Silence. “I’m great. How are you?”

“Okay, I would be a lot better if we could grab a bite to eat?” I find myself nervous of her answer. Never before have I felt nervous over a female.

“Listen, I don’t think that would be the best thing.”

“It would just be as friends…” Bullshit, I could never just be a friend with this woman.

“Ah, I don’t think we should be seen in public together too often. It’s for the best.” She replies.

“Then dinner at my place? Strictly friends, I promise.” Pause. “I still need to find out what your favorite color is.” I tempt.

“Fine, but just as friends. Where do you live?”

“I will text you the address, meet me at eight?”

“Okay. I will see you in a few hours, Ross. Bye.”

“See you soon.” We hang up.

I toss my phone on the desk and smile triumphantly to myself. What a success. Now all I have to do is finish up here, and get to my place to cook something up. She is sure to fall for my secret cooking skills!

Evaline.

My feet are firmly placed on the ground, and the house that I stand in front of towers far above my head. The Victorian – style house has grey stone, and spurts of ivory scale the walls. The door is only mere feet away from me, and yet I can’t seem to find a way to get my own two feet to move ahead. This house is more intimidating than its owner.

Suddenly the door opens, and tiny butterflies come out of rest and start fluttering away in my stomach. It’s been weeks since I have seen his face, and my memory has not done him justice.

“Evaline, why are you just standing there?” I shake my head and send him an embarrassed smile, heat rising to my cheeks.

One foot in front of the other, I can do this.

Just friends.

“Sorry, was just uh…” I pause, looking for a good excuse. “Admiring your house.”

I walk up to the door where he stands, half of his body still inside of the house.

“Do you like it?” His eyebrow raises and a lazy smile touches his lips, which makes him look far more innocent and less composed than he usually is.

“I love it.” He opens the door and waves me inside; I hear the door shut behind us. “The architecture is just exquisite.”

“Let me take your jacket.” I smile, shuffle it off and hand it to him.

“Thank you.”

“Let’s go to the dining area, you must be starved?”

“Actually, I am.” I chuckle.

I look around as Ross leads us into the dining area. We walk through a large hallway with arched doorways. The ceilings are incredibly high, and fabulous glass chandeliers hang from various parts of it. Wow.

“Here we are, just take a seat and I will grab us some wine to start off with.” I smile and nod, sitting at the large dining room table.

The lights are dimmed throughout the house – what I can see of it – and tall candles are lit everywhere. A soft melody plays from a radio somewhere, and I can only faintly hear the symphony of Beethoven, which floats in the air. This setting is beyond romantic and as much as I feel myself swooning towards the gesture – which I am sure has been planned – I know that I have to stay strong. It’s only best if we don’t give in to this unnatural calling right now. We have to play it safe - we have to be friends.

“I hope you don’t mind some old red wine that I’ve been saving in the cellar?” He brushes up against my back as he leans over and pours the red liquid into my glass.

Looking up towards him, I smile. “Not at all, thanks.”

He sits in the chair opposite of me, and I am thankful that this table is so large. We can’t accidentally touch, and he can’t purposefully touch me without fully climbing over the table. At least I have the furniture to use to my advantage! I inwardly snicker to myself.

Ross watches me as I sip from my wine glass, and I wonder what is going through his head right at this moment. I know what I’m thinking… He’s dressed down for our dinner. His usual suit and tie are missing, and in their place is a black long – sleeve shirt, and navy blue designer jeans. His hair isn’t slicked back with hair product, but is naturally strewn and looks casual. His eyes shimmer with hope and excitement, and his shoulders are relaxed, as opposed to their usual tense composure.

This man is full of surprises, and I especially admire this side of him.

“How have you been?” He asks, breaking eye contact.

“I’ve been good, busy with work. How about yourself?”

“Same… lots of work.” His deep laugh trumps the faint sounds of Beethoven’s masterpieces for a moment. “Can’t seem to keep up with it all lately though.”

“Oh?”

He traces his finger along the lip of the wine glass.

“Mmm, lots of things on my mind.” He pauses, stilling his finger. “And the most prominent thing has been you.”

Ah, this is what I’ve been afraid of. His eyes stare into mine, and I awkwardly advert my gaze to behind him, where a painting hangs on the wall.

“Lovely painting.” I mumble, and he slightly chuckles turning his head to the painting behind him.

“I must admit, I do adore The Renaissance era.”

“Good taste. I can see that you admire many ages…” I gesture around the room.

“Ah yes, the house.” He tops off his wine. “This house was actually built in the late nineteenth century, and when I first moved to town and set my eyes upon it, I knew that I had to own it.” 

“Wow, it’s so old.” I am truly intrigued. “Surely everything isn’t as it was in its original state?”

He shakes his head. “No, of course not. I have done a few fix ups on the outside, and a few renovations on the inside. I know that the previous owners had had the house in their family since it was original built, though. They did do some fixing to it, I mean,” He looks so completely in his own element right now. “A house this old and large needs some tender love and care every few years.”

“Absolutely. Well, your house is fantastic… I am truly impressed.” He stands from his chair and walks around the table; I follow him with my eyes until I can no longer see him.

I feel his chest brush against my back before I hear his deep intake of breath, and my body trembles with anticipation.

“More wine?” His husky voice is just above a mere whisper, and it slightly tickles my ear - I weakly nod.

I can almost imagine the smug smile that is on his face at knowing what kind of effect he has on me. Surely my eyes and uncontrollable body language has given me away. I can’t feel his body against mine any longer, and realize he has moved to the archway dividing the dining room and the kitchen.

“Shall I retrieve dinner?” He asks, a triumphant smile on his face.

“Sure!” I reply, a little too squeaky for my liking.

He disappears into the kitchen and I am left to battle the ongoing war inside of my head.

This is like a completely different Ross. Is this what he is like outside of the business world? Is it possible that he can have two different personalities bundled into one hell of a man? If so… I’m in far more deep than I had originally thought. My body keeps betraying my mind. How am I supposed to act on a ‘friends only’ basis if I can’t even stand him brushing up against me?

“Here we are!” He reappears holding several dishes, and the smell of fried onions hits my nostrils. “I hope you don’t mind steak, baked potato and sautéed onions and mushrooms?” He sits opposite to me again, having placed each dish in front of us.

“I don’t mind at all. This is actually one of my favorite dishes.” I pick up my cutlery and take a second to smell the delicious - looking meal.

“Well then, we have something in common.” He says, winking.

Dinner went by quickly, the food was incredibly delicious and I couldn’t help but to scarf it down in a un-lady like manner. Ross had put his fork and knife down quite a few times to watch me eat and I would catch him laughing at me. Multiple times I ended up throwing a balled up napkin at him, which would make him laugh even harder – but he would continue eating and let me be. Now we sit in his gigantic living room in front of the blazing fireplace. The sofa cushions are plush and feather – filled, making me sink into them, Ross sits beside me staring into the flames.

“I did some research.” My voice breaks the silence and he looks at me.

“What kind of research?”

“I was looking for anyone who has ever been in our, uh…” What should I call this? “Situation, or anyone who has even heard of it.”

“I see.” I notice his composure tense up, and I suddenly feel bad for ruining our comfortable silence. “And were you successful?”

I shake my head.

“No. Nothing out of the ordinary came up. Mind you, it was the Internet and Officials have control over such mediocre resources.” Ross turns his body towards mine.

“Well, maybe we should just let it be?” His voice holds an edge.

“How can we just let it be?” I turn towards him and meet his eyes with mine. “This is our lives we are talking about here. Do you think that we can keep up with the masquerade forever?”

“No, absolutely not. But you digging into dangerous territories isn’t going to do any of us any good whatsoever. What if you get caught?”

“I’m not going to get in trouble for researching online. Don’t be ridiculous!” I roll my eyes at him in mocking outrage. “They can’t blame me for being curious, it’s only human nature.”

He places his hand on top of mine, on my lap. I involuntarily twitch and give him a look as if to say, don’t go there. But he doesn’t seem to get the memo.

“That’s just it, Evaline. Our generation – and our future generations aren’t like the Old Ones. The Old Ones had no such regulations like we do. They didn’t have Officials messing with their gene pool to make sure that human kind was only just that – one kind. Don’t you understand?”

“I understand! I just don’t agree with it!” I’m suddenly furious.

“What don’t you agree with, exactly?”

“Are you kidding me?” I let out an exasperated laugh. “Why should I be forced to only love one person? Why should I be frowned upon or exterminated if I do love more than one person?”

His eyes are wide and his hand tightens around mine.

“You love me?”

“I… no, I didn’t say that.” I shake my head. Did I say that? “I just mean…”

“Shh, I know what you meant.” I go to shake my head no, but just as I do his mouth is on mine.

He lifts me from my spot and places me on his lap as if I am as light as a feather. The surprise of his actions hits me like a ton of bricks and I squeal against his lips. I place both of my hands on his chest and try to push him away, but he is already against the couch and his hold on me is tight.

“Ross, stop.” I gasp as he moves his face centimeters from mine to take in a breath.

“I can’t, I need you so bad.” The words flutter to my core making the heat from the nearby fire seem miniscule compared to the heat that is spreading from within me.

I shake my head, no.

“We can’t do this, remember?” I place both of my hands on either side of his face, looking into his lust – filled eyes. “Friends.”

“Very good friends.” He says slyly, that lazy smile of his returning.

My heart does summersaults in my chest, but I know that I have to be strong. In the long run, it’s for the best. If I give in now, what is to happen with Ethan? I’m in no state to make an honest decision concerning the two of them. And I know that there has to be something going on with the Officials that we are all missing. To be intimate with him now, could possibly lead to close future intimacy. This is torture.

He strokes the inside of my shirt, rubbing his thumb along my back. His other hand is pressed against just below my shoulder blades and he applies pressure trying to coax me into him.

“No, Ross.” I let my arms drop from his face to my sides. “We won’t be able to act like friends in public if we continue on like this.”

“I’m good at pretending.” He continues to push at my back.

“I don’t doubt you, but we made rules.”

“Rules, shmules. Where’s the fun in that?” I can’t help but to laugh at his determination.

“You say you’re good at pretending?” I question, an idea formulating in my head.

He nods, his eyes full of hope.

“Then pretend that you don’t have any feelings for me, because I don’t have any for you.” I jump off of his lap and stand in front of the fireplace. The close proximity from the flames heat up my legs within seconds, but I stay put staring down at a confused Ross.

“You are impossible! I know that you care for me!” The flames from the fire dance in his eyes and I feel as if I have just started a war with the devil; himself.

“No.” I shake my head. “I don’t. I came here to get to know you as a friend. Nothing more.”

Abruptly he stands from the couch and walks right up to me. I keep my strong composure and mind set.

“Bullshit!” He seethes.

“I shit you not.” I pause, assessing his demeanor. “I feel nothing for you in that manner. I’m sorry.” I’m not even sure why I chose to do this. There has got to be a thousand better ways that I could have gone about doing this with him… but I chose to be difficult.

Maybe I am convinced that if I can get him to believe it, it will be true. Something within me though tells me that I am incredibly wrong. I am only making matter worse, but it is kind of fun to irk him like this.

He suddenly grabs my arm and I immediately try to free it, but to no avail.

“Humor me.” He says, his voice changing from furious to husky.

That’s never a good sign.

He trails his finger along the inside of my arm, slowly and gentle. His eyes focus on what he is doing, but what he cannot see is the effect it is having on me from the inside. I shiver at his ongoing touch.

“Tell me that you don’t feel something.” He whispers.

“I feel your finger touching my arm.” I say blatantly.

He nods.

His finger leaves my arm, and he is closing the distance between us. I’m in a panic because I don’t know how I’m going to react. I pushed him away once, but do I have it in me to do it again? How serious am I? His warm breath tickles my neck and I automatically swoon to my right so that he has better access.

Shit, keep it together!

The tip of his tongue trails the length of my neck and he places small kisses along the edge of it, dipping awfully close to my collarbone. I can feel myself losing all control, and my fingers twitch in want. I want to grab him so badly right now, just grab him and pull him into me. Thrust my fingers through his unruly hair as he devours my mouth with his.

He pulls away.

“Still don’t feel anything?”

I shake my head, no – Just before I pull him by his shirt into me, letting our lips meet for the second time tonight. 

Continue Reading