Salvation [Luke Hemmings A.U.]

By rainingcliffords

"Luke Hemmings, it is time you learnt what it means to be human." - © 2015 rainingcliffords; all rights reser... More

I - Prologue
II - Heart of Gold
III - Temperamental
IV - Human
V - A New Friend
VI - Better Judgement
VIII - Alone
IX - Who's the New Guy?
X - We Meet Again
XI - Fibbing
XII - One Exception
XIII - Unfair

VII - Learning Curve

216 15 19
By rainingcliffords

Sorry for the wait! School has been hectic omg but here I am with an update please forgive me !!!

Dedication goes out to @NatalieNakkhongkham3 because she's a cutie and is just too smart for me :-)

Luke:

-

So that was the infamous party scene I hear young humans raving about all the time.

In all honesty, I do not see the appeal.

Sweaty strangers bumping into one another, seemingly overpriced alcoholic beverages, overstimulating light effects, blaring music that makes communication incredibly difficult... I would rather stay home on my couch and watch that Keeping Up With the Kardashian show that is so popular for reasons I know not.

However, last night was not about me and my desire to have a night in. It was about keeping Margaret - or as she seems to go by Margo - out of harm's way. I am rather proud of myself for my success at doing this, as I had to make the commute from one side of Seattle to the other in twenty minutes - the exact amount of time I am able to see into the future when danger is looming.

I was in the middle of watching a documentary on dogs, too. I never did learn exactly how humans and dogs formed the unique relationship you see nowadays in society.

But that is irrelevant.

I barely made it in time to keep her from drinking the beverage that had been so slyly contaminated with some sort of adulterant; and that was even after using my angelic speed that was not revoked during the transformation. Heaven knows that I am going to need to keep a closer eye on Margo than I initially anticipated if this kind of behavior is to become a habit of hers.

I shudder to think what kind of danger she could have encountered had I not been around.

I am interrupted from my thoughts by the silver spoon slipping out from my loose grasp and clinking heavily in my now empty bowl that once was full of maple and brown sugar oatmeal. Looking around the kitchen, I cannot help but feel a bit out-of-place in the still unfamiliar living quarters I call home.

I slide off of the tall chair by the island, trotting over to the sink where I place the dirty dishes to soak in water. As I check the time, I take note that it is ten-thirty in the morning, causing me to let out a sigh.

What do I do today?

It is only Saturday, and I do not have plans to spend time with Ashton until Tuesday.
I cannot go out and find Margaret - Margo - despite how easy it would be to do that, mostly because I saw her only last night and I do not want to come off as some type of stalker.
And, I do not know my way around the city at all.

I suppose I could do some exploring. After all, you never learn something new without making an effort to obtain that knowledge, and I could definitely use some common sense of direction in this city.

I grab a dark gray parka from the oversized closet attached to my room, along with a pair of obsidian toned canvas shoes that I slip on in no time. After grabbing my wallet and new phone, I take one last overlook of the apartment, trying to remember if I have anything else I would possibly need.

Then I remember something.

I have a car.

-

"And here you are, Mister Hemmings." The valet beams at me, holding the door to the black vehicle open as I hand him a wad of money to tip the kind man.

"Thank you. I cannot believe I misplaced my own car." I go along with the story I conjured up to cover up the fact that I did not have the slightest clue to what my car even looks like, let alone where it would be.

The valet nods, chuckling softly as he pockets the crisp dollar bills, politely waiting until later on to count the amount I paid him. "You would be surprised at how many others have done the same. It is no problem."

I bid the kind sir farewell as I step into the dark vehicle, admiring the luxurious dark leather seats. The confines of the car are dark, so I flick a light on, searching for a user's manual.

Fortunately, it was considered by the Heavens that I would need a driver's license provided to me in order to operate the automobile. The only issue is... I have yet to fully understand how to do just that.

After rummaging through many compartments, I am able to find a user's manual. What useful tools, these manuals, what would humans do without them?

-

I learn the basics of the vehicle after spending an hour or so behind the steering wheel. Since I finished my reading of the interesting booklet, I feel confident enough to put my knowledge to use.

To my advantage, the last human I protected was an avid car enthusiast. I do not remember a single day, aside from those when he was deployed at war or before he had his license, where Edgar did not go out driving. Occasionally, I would visit him on Earth just to check up and make sure all was well. Odds are, he would either be driving, fixing, polishing, or admiring his vintage, pastel blue hot rod.

So fortunately, I have extensive knowledge of how cars work and how a person is to drive one. Extensive for an angel, at least.

I turn the keys in the ignition, pleased as the engine wastes no time roaring to life. Carefully, I maneuver the vehicle through the parking garage, not wanting to hit anything or anyone with the most likely expensive vehicle.

I do not know what I expected from Seattle traffic, but I learn incredibly quickly that for someone's first time driving, it should not be downtown in this metropolis. I anxiously make my way through the city, nervous of violating any traffic laws that I may not know of.

Eventually, I pull over into a small parking lot, whipping out my sleek iPhone to determine where I should navigate to, instead of aimlessly cruising around. I go onto the "Google" website that I learned about a while before becoming a human. I decide to search for local religious temples or buildings, my curiosity getting the best of me.

I come across a link to a place called the St. James Cathedral, a large church for the Christian faith. I smile at the prospect of learning about what kind of religions humans believe in, and search for directions to the Cathedral.

To my surprise, the religious building is only a few blocks away from me, making me smile at the great convenience this little adventure possesses. The less amount of driving I can do in the city, the better.

After about twenty minutes of navigating, taking a wrong turn, and re-calculating, I finally find my way to the large church; only enraging two other drivers who blared their car horns at me for taking a sudden turn and then throwing rude finger gestures to me in my rearview mirror in the process. I park my car in a nearby parking lot, locking the automobile after me.

I tuck my hands into the pockets of my jacket, keeping them warm in the crisp, December weather. Shuffling up the front steps of the building, I take in the incredible architecture before my very eyes.

It is amazing what incredible humans can do, especially when they are passionate about it.

The doors are surprisingly heavy and a bit difficult to open, but I manage to pry them open after a forceful yank. Warm air floods out from the building in my face, causing my cheeks to blush from the sudden change of temperature as I step into the entryway.

All I can say is that the construction of the building is absolutely stunning. From the intricate marble carvings on the walls, to the elaborate carpeting of the hall, to the exquisite stain glass windows, I cannot help but remember the Hall of Rectitude and the many similarities the two buildings hold.

The ornate style of the place reminds me of home, making me smile involuntarily.

I see a man on the opposite end of the hallway, his head bowed, appearing to be saying some sort of prayer. I conclude that he is the priest due to the white robes he adorns, and advance down the hallway timidly, not wanting to interrupt him if he is engrossed in his worship.

Surprisingly, we seem to be the only two in the building, and I begin to wonder if I am even permitted to be here.

The old man lifts his head at the sound of my footsteps, stopping in the midst of his prayer. He smiles warmly at me in greeting, and I return the favor. "Please, do not my presence interrupt you." I tell him, referring to his prayer.

He bows his head once more for a minute or so continuing with his worship, before turning back to me and smiling once again, standing up from his kneeling.

"What can I do for you, my son?" He questions me happily, stepping out from the pew to face me in the hallway.

I grin, happy to speak with someone who seems so accepting and genuine. "I simply thought I would pay a visit here. I do not know much of the Christian faith, and I would love to learn what it is about."

The priest looks surprised at first and then beams at me, gesturing towards the pew where I sit myself next to him.

He explains to me the basics of Christianity, starting from the very beginning. I find the stories he tells me incredibly fascinating; from the telling of the creation, to the coming of the savior for all of humanity, to the death of this savior... I absorb the information intently.

Despite all of the incredible tales that Father Edward tells me, I cannot help but focus on one story in specific; the one mentioning an angel named Gabriel.

Angel. Earthly religions believe in the existence of angels.

I spend what must be at least a few hours inquiring about the religion from the kind, old man who graciously answers all of my questions in happy spirits. I was aware that religion in general played an enormous role in the development of humanity, but I had no idea how complex and interesting it would be.

There is a concept that makes me strangely flattered, and it is the fact that some humans still feel that there is something bigger out there. I do not know why it moves me so much, but I always seemed to have the impression that humans grew to believe they were alone in a way.

I decide that in my time on Earth, I want to learn all I can about the religions people believe and what they mean. From what Father Edward tells me, most religions on Earth teach of the same basic principle: Love.

I want to learn what this love is.

-

boom shakalaka.

what were your thoughts? I hope you liked it !!!

vote & comment and all that jazz, i'm not picky

- Sarah :-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.3K 702 56
Complete Luke Hemmings Imagines. :) (I wrote these a couple years ago so there's a lot of mistakes and cringe to em but if you're still about it, the...
6.7K 89 23
"Well you haven't been showing it. You haven't been trying." ...
849K 34.6K 34
❝Your blue eyes, they just pull me in.❞ © cthood 2014