His Duchess [Completed]

By shaerzam

Highest rank on romance hot list: #5. She is called The Ice Queen, due to her stoic non-readable features and... More

Prologue
Chapter 1-Rare Beauty [E] (Background info about the family)
Chapter 2-Shopping [E]
Chapter 3 The First Run-in [E]
Chapter 4-The Surprise Meeting [E]
Chapter 5-Silence [E]
Chapter 6- Curiousity [E]
Chapter 7- Closer Look [E]
Chapter 8- Meeting The Parents [E]
Chaper 9-His Desires [E]
Chapter 10- Feels So Right [E]
Chapter 11- Day dreamer [E]
Chapter 12-The King And His Queen [E]
Chapter-13 Miss Independant [E]
Chapter 14- His Kindred [E]
Chapter 15- Calm Before The Storm [E]
Chapter 16- ER [E]
Chapter 17- Hide than seek [E]
Chapter 18- Let It Go [E]
Chapter 19- Hope [E]
Chapter 20-First Kiss [E]
Chapter 21- First Date [E]
Chapter 22- Irresistible [E]
Chapter 23- Dream Catcher [E]
Chapter 24- Hard To Get [E]
Chapter 25-He's In Love [E]
Chapter 26- The Heart Wants What It Wants [E]
Chapter 27- Love [E]
Chapter 28- Surprise Part 1 [E]
Chapter 29-Surprise Part 2 [E]
Chapter 30- The Dress [E]
Chapter 31- Beginning Of A End [E]
Chapter 32-Amnesia [E]
Chapter 33- The Wedding Part 1 [E]
Chapter 34- The Wedding Part 2 [E]
Chapter 35- The Wedding Part 3 [E]
Chapter 36- Misery Loves Company [E]
Chapter 37-Worth It [E]
Chapter 38- Epiphany [E]
Chapter 40- Mystery Solved [E]
Chapter 41- Second Chances [E]
Chapter 42- Revenge [E]
Chapter 43-Ashes [E]
Chapter 44-Sealing My Fate [E]
Chapter 45- Wedding Plans [E]
Chapter 46- A Winter Wonderland [E]
Chapter 47-Pure Bliss [E]
Epilogue [E]
His Camelia-Now COMPLETED...

Chapter 39- Auction Date [E]

64.6K 3.1K 85
By shaerzam

Entering the grand foyer of the Beverly Wilshire hotel, Annie walked straight to the lobby's front desk. "Hello, how may I be of assistance this evening?" A middle aged lady asked, her name tag read, Rachael.

Never giving it any thought before until that moment, Annie realized she did not know who's the reservation name was under.   "Hello, I'm here to meet someone for dinner and was not told his name, I feel embarrassed to say..." Annie replied uncomfortably.

"That's quite alright, may I have your name?"

"Angelica Taverron." Annie answered.

The lady checked her computer and her eyes widened. Rachael looked up and gulped nervously. "Yes, Miss. Taverron. I'm sorry to keep you waiting. We have reserved the Ambassador suite for your dinner, it's on the 14th flo-."

Annie frowned, it must be wrong, interrupting her. "It was supposed to be an arranged dinner along the terrace, are you sure that's what it says?"

Rachael looked down to her computer, verifying the information. "Yes, it say's right here, the reservation was made this morning..." She trailed off. 

Annie did not feel comfortable going up to a private room, a little suspicious. On the terrace would have been more tolerable and open, but a room? It was too private, anything could happen. She did not have the strength to fight off anyone if the opportunity presented itself. The lack of nourishment took a toll on her body leaving her weak and frail.

"Okay, please inform whoever made the reservation that I will not be able to attend. Better yet, if you could give me their name and phone number if you have it on hand, I would gladly do it myself." Annie concluded, deciding not to attend the dinner, she was there by force anyway waiting for any excuse not to go.

"I'm afraid I can't do that Miss, I'm sorry. I'd be happy to pass on your message." Rachael said with a tight smile.

Annie narrowed her eyes at the woman, wanting to say something rude but bit her tongue, holding back her retort. It was the only chance she had at learning the man's name and yet again she hit a wall. Instead she turned and walked away toward the entrance once again.
*****
He watched her enter. Her head was held up high. The white dress she wore flowed around her legs, knee high.  The silk material outlined the shape of her body as it clung to her thighs.  He could see the shape of her lean legs as she strutted in with matching white high heels. She was a vision to behold—an angel sent from the heavens. Her grace and beauty stood out amongst the crowd of men and women in the cluttered lobby.

Stress lines were etched along her eyes and mouth, dark circles were still visible from under the cover up she used to conceal them. She looked over worked and exhausted. The brightness once there, was now gone, left behind was an empty shell of a person.

Angelica's posture slightly stiffened as she spoke to one of the attendants at the reservations desk. She most likely learned about the location change for their dinner. He later decided to have a more private setting. Much had to be said and done and none of it required an audience.

He watched her turn and head back toward the entrance. She was leaving. It was just as he expected. Pulling out his phone he dialed Lucas, "Now." Was all he said and ended the call.

Lucas walked into the lobby swiftly stopping right in front of Annie, blocking her way. She stopped abruptly, looking up with a frown and came face to face with Lucas, the messenger.

She raised an eyebrow, narrowing her eyes at him. "What are you doing here, relaying another message from your employer, messenger boy?" She taunted bitterly. Her words were laced with an underlying anger. She knew she sounded and acted harsh, but she couldn't hold back her frustrations. It was becoming harder and harder to control herself and her actions lately.

Lucas's expression did not change, not even a blink, a frown, annoyance, nothing. Instead he ignored her comment and smiled politely. "I'm so sorry I'm late Miss. Taverron. I was supposed to meet you here and escort you to your destination but I was delayed. I hope you haven't being waiting long?" He asked.

Annie wanted to roll her eyes, wanting nothing more than to exit without an explanation. "I was just leaving actually. Have a good evening." She replied tightly and stepped to the side to pass by him. 

He caught her elbow and halted her steps.  Turning to face him, Annie wanted to ripe her elbow out his clutches and curse him and his employer to hell. But the lobby was lively with people. They were surrounded in every direction and would have drawn attention to herself. 

Annie glanced down at Lucas's hand clutching her elbow than glared up at his face. She was tired of being manhandled. First Nathan from last night and now Lucas. "Don't touch me..." She said in a dangerously low, threatening voice.

Lucas released her abruptly.

"My apologies Miss. If you would please allow me to escort you-"

"You can tell your employer I'm not moving an inch from here. You said the terrace, I agreed. He wants to have dinner in a private room, that was not the arrangement I agreed to. Nothing more. This is becoming highly inappropriate and I'm not comfortable with the way things are currently. I would like to go leave." She told him folding her arms across her chest.

Lucas appeared lost searching the lobby.

The mystery man phones him. He witnessed Lucas accept his call. "What is it?" The man asked.

Lucas turned his back to Annie for privacy. "She refuses to go anywhere, not feeling comfortable with the whole situation." Lucas says in a low voice.

He watched Annie tap her foot impatiently and glance down at her watch.

"Tell her no harm will come to her, she has my word. Tell her all I want is two hours of her company and nothing more. She will return to her family safe and sound. If it makes her feel any better, I will call her father and inform him. Ask her if that's what she wants."

Lucas faced Annie, she looked at him expectantly with raised eyebrows. "My employer says no harm will come to you, you have his word. All he wants is two hours of your company, and if it will make you feel more comfortable he is willing to call your father and inform him."

Annie frowned. How the hell did this guy know her father? Confused more than ever before. 

Two hours he said. Then he'd let her go. The obligation for the auction would be completed. Her parents already knew where she was. They made sure to have her text them when she reached the hotel.

Annie hesitated. Can she trust a complete stranger? She hated the secrecy. This mystery man irked her curiosity now.

Who would pay 5 million dollars just to go out with her? It's a question she had been running through her head all day. She was no one special.

But the man seemed so adamant about spending the evening with him, it strangely made her feel warm on the inside. Deep down she felt worthy and wanted. This stranger was going to extreme measures to catch her attention, even calling his assistant, assuring his intentions.  This stranger made her feel important, instead of neglected as she had been accustomed to. As unsettling as it felt, Annie wanted to meet the man.

"Ok, I'll meet him, and no needing to call my father, it will not be necessary, he already knows I'm here."

The mystery man heard everything she said through the open line and ended the call satisfied. With determined strides, the heads towards the elevators to the suite.
*****

Lucas lead her into the suite, stopping at the threshold.  "Please make yourself comfortable Miss, my employer will be with you momentarily."  Said Lucas ready to leave.

"Wait!  What is his name?  Do I know him?"  Annie asked, gripping the folds of her white dress. 

"You will see soon enough Miss." He responds and being as vague as possible.  He bowed slightly and softly closed the door. 

Annie had a feeling he wasn't going to inform her of the information she was desperately seeking.  She clutched her phone tightly in her hands, slowly moving forward taking in her surroundings.

The suite was spacious like a deluxe private residence,  dark hardwood floors and deluxe furnishings in beige and burgundy tones emphasizing the luxury of the large suite.  It had a peaceful, quiet and serene vibe.

The only sounds were the clicking of her high heels and classical music softly playing in the background.  The mystery man was nowhere in sight as Annie surveyed her surroundings slowly.

The open living and dining area opened to the furnished terrace with views of Beverly Hills and Century City.  As she approached the balcony a candlelight dinner was made out, a table for two set.  Dark pink roses were in the center, two high lit candles stood tall in the center.  Scattered candles were lit all around the edge of the balcony wall.  

It was romantic and beautiful and a little unsettling. 

Who would go to all this trouble?  A unfamiliar feeling settled in her gut. 

Something was not right.

The whole scene was set for two lovers.  It was too romantic for a simple formal dinner.  Annie's instincts were very sharp and determining, and from what she'd sensed so far, she did not have a bad feeling nor good.  She believed she was in no danger, but the setting disturbed her. 

Turning away from the balcony, Annie re-entered the suite.  The mystery man had yet to make an appearance.  Deep down Annie wanted to leave but her stubbornness and curiosity got the best of her.  She wanted answers and running away was not a solution.   She'd done enough running. 

Walking by to the sofa, Annie settled back into the plush soft cushions.  After a few minutes of waiting impatiently the mystery man still did not show himself. A loud yawn forced itself from her mouth, her head felt heavy and her eyelids felt droopy. Leaning her head back, Annie rested, closing her eyes not meaning to sleep and eventually succumbed to the fatigue and shut down her defenses.
*****
The man watched his reflection in the mirror. Pulling the lapels down of his charcoal suit, adjusting his cuffs and smoothing out his dark blue tie, the man stood tall and regal. The confidence stood out in his eyes as he raked one side of his dark hair with his fingers. Checking his expensive watch and checking his dark figure in the mirror one last time he tuned his ears to listen for anymore movement. 

He was stalling. She entered minutes ago, awaiting his arrival.

The man could hear her moving around the suite. She never once approached the room in which he waited, bidding his time for the best opportunity to enter and reveal himself.

He was not nervous, he was nervous of her reaction to him. Angelica was unpredictable, most times making it difficult to decipher her next move.

How would she react? What would she say?

He closed his eyes and exhaled, his hand hovering above the door handle. It was now or never. Standing tall and poised, the man opened the double doors and entered the hallway toward the living area.

The man never noticed her resting on the couch with her head tilted back and eyes closed until he looked from the terrace, his eyes catching the vision he yearned to touch, sleeping peacefully.

A mere ten feet separated them as he slowly closed the gap and stood directly in front of her crossed legs.

The side of his mouth lifted in half a smile. She looked so young and innocent. The face of a person who does not easily admit defeat in spite of difficulties. The face of a woman who manages to capture the attention of every male and female she passed. A woman who caught his attention since he first laid eyes on her. 

He stayed in the shadows as she passed him various times. Watching her, waiting for her, while she was unsuspectedly going by her everyday business.   His hawk like eyes never strayed from his perusal.  The opportunity never presented itself where he could whisk her away–she was never alone unfortunately. 

In the end he found a way.

The man trailed his finger to the side of her jaw, caressing his way up to the soft skin of her cheek.  She stirred, shifting her face away from the tickling sensation his fingers left behind.  An adorable crease formed between her delicately arched eyebrows. 

His eyes trailed down to her chest, despite her weight loss, she still had a generous bosom.   She grasped her cellular phone desperately against the rise and fall of her chest, as if her life depended on it.  Her knuckles were turning white from her strong grip.  Even in sleep her body was stressed and unyielding, her posture was stiff and rigid despite of the fact she was resting. 

He watched and memorized every aspect of her features, savoring the beauty, etching it in his mind. The thickness and vibrancy of her strawberry-blonde hair was long and straight, framing her face and flowing freely around her shoulders.

The man grasped a long strand, feeling the silkiness and softness between his fingertips. Bending down slightly he inhaled the sweet fruity scent of her hair and closed his eyes briefly.

After a few moments, he released her hair and straightened. Her pink lips puckered distastefully as she shifted again in her sleep. His eyes narrowed hungrily at the her enticing figure.

She was trapped now with no means of escape.

"Time to wake up my sweet..." Caressing her face gently, she stirred again, the gesture making her come slowly out of her brief slumber.

The information Lucas relayed to her in the lobby was only half the truth.  If she thought he was letting her go now she would be sadly mistaken. No one on this earth was ever going to keep him away.

The sooner she understood and accepted him, the better it will be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of creepy towards the end...Who do you think this new mystery man is?  Any thoughts, give them to me.

The big reveal will be in the next chapter.  Thanks for reading and voting...
-Shaz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

532K 4.9K 71
After four years what will happen when they finally confess their Love? Alaska Amana- She has the body of a goddess and will kill anyone who looks a...
31.5K 3K 42
When Barbara, aka the Ice Queen, agrees to fake-date Ryan, their relationship unexpectedly develops as they struggle to move on from their past. ***...
1.8K 300 13
He is from london and she is from india. She wanted to be a Heart surgeon and He calls himself heartless She loves beauty, He hates beauty S...
83.8K 2.6K 43
Liela moved in with her aunt Mrs Fidelia, and wanted to get the approval of her aunt's son 'Gabriel'. Unknowing to her, Gabriel had started developin...