Childhood Crushes

By MissDaggerOfficial

Annabelle Sage grew up in a small town in Tennessee with her three older brothers and her dad. She goes to a... More

Prologue/Chapter One - Beaver? Who's Beaver?
Chapter Two - Beaver the Cow Doesn't Have a Boyfriend, Alright?
Chapter Three - Detention WITH Ashley? Um, Ew.
Chapter Four - Beaver the Hero of the Year-o!
Chapter Five - Harold Lyttle
Chapter Six - Panic Attacks Just Feel Like A Fat Guy Is Sitting On Your Chest
Chapter Seven - 'You're Just Jealous.' Beaver's Latest Catchphrase...?
Chapter Eight - Pearl Necklace
Chapter Nine - A Choice to Make
Chapter Ten - Abused Penut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
Chaptter Eleven - Bus Station Fights
Chapter Twelve - Attack Of The Purple Butterflies
Chapter Thirteen - You Can't Boot Scoot To Britney Spears
Chapter Fourteen - Big Ben, The Clock Who Lives In France
Chapter Fifteen - Surprise Vacation
Chapter Sixteen - Got You All Figured Out
Chapter Seveteen - Congratulations Graduates!
Chapter Eighteen - I Am Not A Baby
Chapter Nineteen - Questions, Questions, Questions
Chapter Twenty - Compairing
Chapter Twentyone - Juliet
Chapter Twentytwo - Bale The Fish-Man
Chapter Twentythree - Small Gathering
Chapter Twentyfour - Cake Fights In A Bar
Chapter Twentyfive - Late Night Meeting
Chapter Twentysix - Riverside Wonders
Chapter Twentyseven - AH-MAY-ZING!
Chapter Twentyeight - Neon Moon
Chapter Thirty - Bridal Shop
Chapter Thirtyone - Junk In The Trunk
Chapter Thirtytwo - The Notebook
Chapter Thirtythree - Which Napkin? White, White, Or White?
Chapter Thirtyfour - A Single Pearl
Chapter Thirtyfive - Lime Green or Champagne?
Chapter Thirtysix - Brutal Awakening...
Chapter Thirtyseven - Found
Chapter Thirtyeight - Do You Take Harry Lyttle To Be Your Husband?
Chapter Thirtynine - TTFN: Ta Ta For Now
Chapter Forty - You're GOING To College, Whether You Like It Or Not
Chapter Fourty-one - Rooming With Mellisa Williams
Chapter Forty-two - Living Off Peanut Butter
Chapter Fourty-Two - Olive Garden
Chapter Forty-three - Rejection Is Hard, But Not When You're Engaged
Chapter Forty-Four - To Find Something, You've Got To Look For It
Chapter Forty-Five - Starbucks at Midnight
Chapter Forty-Six - Fiancé or Not?
Chapter Forty-Seven: Be That Twenty-Seven Percent
Chapter Forty-Eight - Surprise!!
Chapter Forty-Nine - Welcome Home
Chapter Fifty - Any Idiot Would Know
Chapter Fifty-One - Horseback
Chapter Fifty-Two - Happy Thanksgiving

Chapter Twentynine - Dreaming Of What Can't Be

5K 107 13
By MissDaggerOfficial

Only faintly did I remember Harry Lyttle. I know he was the most popular kid in middle school, and I had a crush on him, but other than that I don't know a thing about him. Still, I had to be polite and smile like I remembered him. Isn't that what you do with everyone? "Oh, hey, Harry."

Harry smiled back to me, "Hi, Annabelle. How has the city life been?"

God, this question is getting annoying. Everyone thinks just because I've lived in the city with my mom for the past 6 years that I'm one of those Prada Prits you see on Sex and the City. Truth is, I don't think I've changed at all. I like fishing, I want to try hunting sometime, I tried riding a horse within seconds of coming back and I'm a cowboy's girlfriend. (Okay, that last part doesn't prove anything. Every girl wants a hot cowboy.) To answer Harry, I just told him the things I told Bale, Michael, and Billy B. the night they all asked me the same question; I'm the same girl they knew several years ago, just a little bigger. Just when I was finished telling him though, I found myself saying something I hadn't told the others, "I like living here a lot more though. I may just stay."

Beside me, I felt Bale tense up a little, so I looked up to him. Instead of looking upset though, he was smiling to himself. "Really?" He asked.

I only smiled and turned back to Ashley and Harry. "Well it's good to have you back." Harry smiled. "If you'll excuse me, I'll take my soon-to-be-wife to dance."

As they walked away, I let out the breath I seemed to be holding in; the way I do whenever I'm meeting someone I don't know. "That was weird." I hissed as I let out the air from my lungs.

Bale chuckled and threw his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to him. "Well now that that's over, how about another dance?"

Morning light spread through the blinds, gently laying over my eyes. Like a small child, it poked at me until I woke up. Staring up at the vanilla ceiling, covered in sunlight, I frowned. On such a beautiful day, why would I frown? Well, it's because of the dream.

The dancing was real, the party was real, and so was kissing Bale yesterday... But that, that could never be real, could it? I sat up and looked down to my side where Hazel lay, snoring a little with her hair matted in her face. She obviously had a good time last night. I thought about pushing her out of the bed; maybe the fall would wake her up, but instead I just started lightly punching her side. "Hazel, get up!" I demanded.

Hands flailed up until they found my face and covered my mouth, eyes and nose. "SHHHHHHSHSHSHSHSHHH....sleep." Hazel groaned.

I tore her hands off my face and hovered over her, "Get up! I need to talk to you about something!"

"Alright fine... tell me in three hours." With that, she pulled the covers over her head and went back to sleep. I sat there, wondering what would get her out of bed. I had to talk to her about this; I was confused and Hazel was always good with relationships. This is my first; I have no clue what I'm doing. "Fine," I sighed. "I guess I'll jut have to wait to tell you I met Harry again..."

"...Harry Potter?" Her muffled voice asked.

"...Yes, Harry Potter." I rolled my eyes.

We both sat there for a moment before Hazel unearthed from the covers and looked at me, confused, through strands of her dark curly hair. "Okay, what the hell are you talking about?" She asked.

"You remember when we met, I told you about a kid Harry Lyttle? He was my crush in middle school?"

Realization flooded over her face. She then continued to sit up and ---- I'm not sure how ---- bounced a foot into the air on her butt, grabbing my hands and asking every possible question she could think of. "Is he still cute? Do you love him again? Did you dance with him? Is he nice? Is he sweet? Did you get his number? We have to call him now! I mean how many Harry's are their in Tennessee!" She squealed, grabbing the phone book she had slid under the bed and started flipping through the pages.

I put my hand on hers, stopping her psychotic page flipping. "No, Hazel, to answer all of your questions. Except, he is really cute...hot even." I thought back to last night and thought of his face. He was very handsome now. His green eyes were sharp, yet kind. His face looked like it was sculpted by one of those greek artists. He didn't have much of an accent, instead, he was very 'city'. More city than Hazel, which is weird.

Hazel sat there, waiting for more information. None of this was saticfying to her. "And you woke me up at ----" She looked over to the clock sitting on the nightstand. "Five in the morning to tell me your childhood crush is cute? Old news, dude!" She snapped before throwing the phone book to the floor with a loud bang and laying back down.

"No, that's not what I woke you up to tell you." I frowned.

"Then what is it?"

"I love you." Wait, maybe I should rephrase that.

Hazel stared at me for a minute before saying, "I love you too...?" She said it like a question!

"HEY!" I barked. "If I was really trying to say 'I love you' to you, that's all I'd get?!"

Hazel rolled her eyes at me once more, "Just ask your question."

Again, we sat there for a moment before I shook my head, "Fine! Well, what I meant to say is last night, I had a dream about Harry. And you know how Bale and I are now official and everything, well I still had a dream about Harry... And in my dream, we... kissed. And he told me he loved me." There we go, that's where the 'I love you' came from. It freaks me out so much more saying it out loud! OH MY GOD, I KISSED A DREAM HARRY, NO!

I slapped my hand over my eyes before falling back and laying there. I felt stupid. I don't really know why either.

"So you're not over Harry, is what you're saying?" Hazel asked.

I shook my head, "I'm not sure."

We must have been talking for a while, since the sun was fully up now, not just the crisp morning light. The room was getting warmer, so I stood up and turned on the ceiling fan. It helped, but I was still sweating, and I don't think it's from the heat. How could I have a dream like that when I think I'm falling for Bale? We're 'going steady', he's the sweetest guy I've ever met, and always has been. Having a dream about Harry seemed like I was cheating on him. And we've only been going out for one day!

The breeze coming from the fan swept over me every now and again, while I stood there, frowning, and thinking about last night, along with the dream. This isn't right. What's my dream trying to tell me? That I should be with Harry? He's engaged! To Ashley! And I'm already with someone... No, that can't be what it's telling me... Can it?

Enough of this. I turned and walked out of the room, leaving Hazel to go back to sleep. Walking into the kitchen, I saw no one was in there. There was no breakfast, no coffee, nothing. I looked around, but didn't see a note or anything. The time kind of explained all of this though; it was an hour before Dad usually woke up for his morning coffee, and the boys weren't even up yet. I was the first one up. Well, I might as well make coffee while I'm up.

Something inside me felt the need to tell Bale what I dreamed of. Maybe he could help me; he's always been good at clearning things up for me. But then again, he might get offended and think I'm not worth his time if I'm dreaming of kissing other guys. Ugh, when I put it that way it's obvious. Best to keep this to one's self.

I cleaned the coffee filter in silence, poured in fresh grounds and pushed the start button. Back home I didn't drink a whole lot of coffee, but I guess I would alot this summer if I'm getting up this early every morning.

Remembering back to middle school, Harry and I had a lot in common. Pretty much everything I said, he'd say 'Me too!'. I remember hanging out all the time, but I don't remember him every making a move. Or me. Why did I even leave in the first place?

BEEEEEEP!

I jumped five feet in the air when the coffee pot said it was done. Loudest coffee pot I've ever heard! As I poured my first cup, I heard a motor out in the yard and tires on gravel. I peaked out the window over the kitchen sink, and saw a big black truck. It was dusty, muddy and worn, but it still looked to be in good shape. Hopping out was none other than my brother Joel.

He walked into the house carrying a fishing rod, tackel box and a small cooler. "How'd you do?" I asked, scarying him silly. He obviously wasn't expecting anyone else to be up.

"Jesus, Annabelle!" He sighed, letting out a deep breath.

"Sorry." I shrugged.

He sat down his supplies, putting the cooler in the freezer. "I did good, got enough for dinner for everybody tonight."

"Yumm."

Joel walked over and pecked me on the cheek, like the big brother her is, then grabbed a coffee mug and poured himself a very large cup as well. We both sat down at the kitchen table and sipped on our coffee's in silence. This was a nice moment, but still, my dream haunted me. To tell Bale, or not to tell Bale... That is the question.

"Hey, maybe you can help me with my problem." I blurted out, forgetting who I was talking to. Oh crap, I didn't really want the boys knowing I'm already dating someone. I want to visit them, not give them heart attacks.

Joel turned to me, "Sure, Belly, whatchya need?"

Playing with a chip in my cup, I thought over my words, choosing them carefully. Well now the question is to tell Joel or not to tell Joel. "Well, you know Bale..."

"You two are dating." He smiled, knowing what I was getting at.

My head popped up, sporting wide eyes and a throat choking on coffee. "Ack ---- You knew?! --- Keh keh!" Joel laughed at me and leaned forward to pat my back, a little too hard, but solving the problem.

"Yeah, I knew. I was at that party too last night." He chuckled.

My face turned red at this, which only made Joel laugh more. "Why didn't you tell me, Annabelle?"

"Well," I shrugged. "It only started yesterday, but mostly cause I didn't wanna make you or Jimmy or Billy get out your shotguns and start threatening Bale... But I guess that won't happen." I smiled.

"Who said I wouldn't do that?" Joel looked around, as if looking for the rat who said he wouldn't threaten my boyfriend within an inch of his life. He sat still and chuckled at me, "I'm just kiddin'... well, maybe." He frowned, making the both of us laugh.

"Anyway, what do you need? Is he givin' you trouble?" He asked.

I shook my head, "No, Bale is great. He's such a gentleman. Instead of asking if I'll 'be his girlfriend', he asked me to 'go steady' with him..." The memory made a large smile sweep over my face as I stared into my coffee.

"Either there's a cream cloud shaped like a smiley face in there," Joel said. "Or he makes you real happy..."

I nodded, "He does."

Joel sighed and took a sip of his coffee, "Well, you're grown up now. And Dad says you haven't had a boyfriend."

My head popped up.

"Mom told him."

Oh, that makes sense...

"And I think Bale is real good for you." He continued. "So whatever is troubling you, I'm sure it's not bad enough to take that away from you."

We sat there for a moment, finishing off our mugs. "Wow, Joel." I finally spoke. "You're... smart!"

"Don't act so surprised." He chuckled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27 1 23
When star soccer player Peyton Rios receives an offer from her first choice college, her senior year starts off exactly as planned... until she uncov...
258K 6.6K 59
Libby Johnson fantasizes of the future. Counting down the days until her high-school graduation, until the day she can whisk herself away from her sm...
649K 16.2K 44
Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's only getting started. While everyone is out...
12.8K 662 58
Annabelle Wingley is a shy, normal girl who is popular in the internet due to her blogs and stories. When she wins a scholarship to America, it's lik...