The Forbidden Lands (Wattys 2...

By linsella

Evelin is known as the wild Fendway sister. She dreams of someday escaping to the Forbidden Lands to the west... More

Chapter One-The Forbidden Lands
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven-The Trolls
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine-The Merrow
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen--The Elves
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen--The Stiria
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen-The Faeries
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen-Castle Velia
Chapter Twenty--Bandits
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine--Krialle
Chapter Thirty
Thirty-One
Epilogue
THANK YOU, EVERYONE! + Bonus Scene

Chapter Twelve

30K 2.1K 629
By linsella

Chapter Twelve
________________

When I awoke, I was on land. The sun was shining brightly into my eyes. I turned on my side and shielded my eyes.

"Hello, Evelin Fendway," I heard the Assana say. I tried to sit up, but my head swam. I laid back down.

"Good morning," I mumbled. Suddenly, I remembered what had happened. I had almost drowned.

"Why am I not dead?" I asked with confusion.

"You sound awfully grateful," the king said cynically.

"No, honestly, what happened?"

"Nimue noticed you had ran out of air. He swam down from the stage and carried you up to the surface before anyone knew what had happened. You owe him your life."

He'd saved me? I smiled. "Where is he? I should thank him," I said. I couldn't believe it. I had almost died. I would be dead. He saved me.

"He's probably with his sister. She loves him, you know."

"Oh? Should I go see him?"

"No, I don't think you should go underwater anymore. That was too risky. I'll send him up." She dove into the lake, leaving me alone.

I tried to sit up, and succeeded this time. I looked around for my satchel. It was hanging from a tree branch. I stood up wobbly and reached for it. I was too short.

I walked over to the tree and began to climb it. But my arms felt so weak and sore. I held on to the branch and did not move. I couldn't get down or up any more. I just hung there.

I heard Nimue emerge from the water. His feet slapped against the sand as he walked over to me.

"What are you doing?" he asked, almost angrily. "You almost died yesterday, and now you are going around, climbing trees? Do you even care about your life?"

"Of course I do," I snapped. "I'm just trying to get my satchel."

He folded his arms. "Then get it."

It was a challenge. That meant I needed to get it. Mustering all the strength I could, I edged up the branch. My arms were shaking, but I kept going. At last, I reached for my satchel, and clamped it with a shaking hand.

"Ha!" I said. "I did it!"

Suddenly, I fell from the branch. Nimue caught me and sat me down. He shot me an angry look."You could have gotten hurt," he said, "again."

"I would've been fine," I said, dusting off my dress.

"Not without my assistance."

He had a point. "Fine, I'll be more careful," I said. "But why do you care? You hardly know me."

He hesitated. "Without you, we will all be stuck here forever."

"Well, thanks," I said gruffly. "You know, for saving my life."

"You're welcome," he said.

It felt wrong to end the conversation like that. I wasn't good at socializing, but I knew some things. "You were really good in that opera," I said, more sincerely.

His eyes lit up a little. "Thanks!"

"Yes, it was so good that I forgot about my Aquweed and almost drowned. So it was your fault I almost died, not mine. So don't get mad at me," I said. It felt nice to put the blame on someone else.

The hurt in his eyes was unmistakeable. I truly was terrible at socializing.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"When are you leaving?" Nimue asked.

"Probably later today," I said. "I need to find the elves."

"You should take me with you," he said, surprising me.

"You'll dry up," I said.

"No. Merrow can survive a couple days without being submerged in water. I'll just drink a lot of water as we go," he argued.

" 'Do you even care about your life?' " I said, mocking his previous words.

He shrugged. "If I could help all the merrow, it would be worth it to die."

Astounded by his loyalty, I put a hand on his shoulder. "You already have helped. You saved me. Thank you. I am really, truly grateful."

He smiled. "Good. Because I had to miss all the merrow applauding me at the end."

I laughed. "Do you mind letting me sketch you before I leave?" I wanted him to feel needed. "It would be a great help."

"Of course. I don't mind," he said. He sat down on a rock and struck a ridiculously awkward pose. "How's this?"

I laughed again. "Just act natural. I want to capture the way merrow truly are."

He wriggled under my gaze, acting completely unnatural.

"I know," I said. "Sing for me."

"Pardon?"

"Just do it. One of those songs from last night."

As he sang, his awkward pose left, and I was able to capture who he truly was. The merrow water colors worked wonders. I sketched the outline of his jaw open, as if he were deep in song. Occasionally, I wiped away tears, as he sang the song of his love. It was so sweet, I couldn't help it. I had always wanted someone to love me like that.

When he was finished, he sat there, looking away, as I added the finishing touches. "It's strange," I said as I admired my work.

"What is?" he asked.

"I find all of you so fascinating, and yet, you do not blink an eye at me. Is every creature familiar with the sight of a human?"

"We did see that man before," Nimue pointed out.

"I suppose," I said.

"I find you fascinating, though, Evelin," Nimue said quietly.

I rubbed my ear. Had he really just said that? "Excuse me?"

He shrugged. "Never mind."

He had! I blushed deep red, and hid my head deep in the sketch book. I finished without looking up.

I turned the book around to show it to him. "How's that?"

"It looks really good," Nimue said. "Just like me."

"I suppose I should leave soon," I said. "Can I say farewell to Assana?"

"I'll go get her," Nimue said.

I sat there alone, and thought about what Nimue had said. I must've misheard him. There was no way he'd said that. No one found me fascinating. They found me annoying, strange, wild, and mischievous, but not fascinating.

The thought warmed me to my toes.

It also made me think about Girec. Would he have missed me if I'd died? After a lot of thought, I came to the conclusion that he would've. He would've cried and Lucia would've comforted him.

Did he think I was dead right now? He'd always told me not to enter the Forbidden Lands. Was he angry with me? Guilt washed over me, but I shrugged it away. I had a larger, more important goal. I needed to save the creatures of Havane. That was much more important.

I tried to turn my thoughts to the elves. I hoped they had less issues than the trolls and merrow. They weren't living in water or caves, after all.

Well, I thought so. Perhaps they were earth-dwelling elves. Or aquatic ones with webbed feet.

The king came out of the water and hugged me tightly. "I will miss you, Evelin Fendway. Please find my father."

I hugged her back. "I will."

More merrow emerged. They all wanted to thank me. I felt needed. It was refreshing.

I blushed as I gave Nimue a hug. I wasn't so sure what his thoughts of me were, but I didn't want to ask. That would be very awkward.

"Farewell, Evelin Fendway," Nimue breathed into my hair. "Thank you."

"I also thank you, Nimue," I said. "For everything." I broke away extra quickly, and grabbed my satchel.

"Farewell, everyone," I said. "I hope the next time I see you, it is when the Enchantment is officially broken."

A cheer rose up. I left with a smile.

The road to the elves was northeast. I passed some suspicious-looking trees on my way, and heard some movement in the bushes.

I turned around. "Who's there?"

Nothing responded. I kept walking, until I heard another rustle in the trees.

"Show yourself!"

Nothing.

This pattern repeated for half a league. Finally, I walked over to the tree, and peered through the leaves. Nothing was there. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I whipped around.

In front of me stood a beautiful woman with blond hair that went past her hips. Her eyes were a bright, cheery green, and her figure was perfect. She wore a green dress. Her skin was an earthy color. She was tall and curvy.

She had everything I'd ever wanted. I felt green envy boil through me.

"Hello," she said cheerily.

I looked at her suspiciously. "What are you?"

"I am a dryad," she laughed, showing beautiful, pointed teeth.

Irrational thoughts flowed through me. I remembered Prince Artair talking to the tall, elegant blond at the banquet.

If I looked like that, I thought, Artair would love me.

"If you follow me," the dryad said, "I can make him love you. I can make you beautiful."

As if I was in a trance, I followed her. For some reason, what she was saying made sense.

I followed her up a tall green hill. I could see so much of the Forbidden Lands from where we were standing. But that didn't matter to me. All that mattered was that I could become beautiful.

She lead me to the peak, near a cliff. "If you jump off," she said in her silly voice, "you will become beautiful. And that man will fall in love with you."

I was about to do it. It made sense. Jumping off a cliff would make me beautiful. But just as I was about to jump off, I remembered something Girec had said about Lucia. He loved her flaws. Not just her beauty.

I remembered what I'd said to the the Sewing teacher about my banshee sampler."If I had a suitor, he would love me so much, that he would cherish this to the day he died. It would be a test. If he liked it, I'd like him."

I didn't want someone to love me just because I was beautiful. I wanted them to love me for who I was. All my faults.

I turned around and faced the dryad. "No, thank you," I said. "I don't want to be beautiful."

The dryad looked confused. "Everyone wants beauty."

"Not me," I said. "Just ask my sisters. I'm the weird one." And I walked away.

Once I regained my rationality, I patted myself on my back. I had survived a dryad! I didn't need beauty.

I looked back on how I'd felt when in the dryad's trance. I'd believed her. I'd listened to her. I shuddered. I was glad I had control of myself. I understood now what Coten had said. The six races had morals and faults, but they could progress and grow. Other creatures had vain purposes. That dryad had only lived to kill.

I walked onward.

The walk to the elves seemed very long. I hummed the songs from the opera if seen the day before. As it got darker, I hummed louder, to try to keep away my fear. That was probably a bad decision.

Perhaps if I'd been quiet, it wouldn't have found me.
_______________

Oh, no! What could "it" be?!

*Evil laugh.*

What was that?

"Ahhh! I see it. RUN!!"

Hahaha just kidding. You'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for reading!
~linsella :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 2.1K 107
In the kingdom of Ipuinia, the status of Aristricata relies on one thing: whether you have elemental blood or you do not. The ability to control one...
320 45 24
Amantha is not ready to be anything other than a wild, tomboy princess, but when tragedy strikes this unlikely royal is called upon to rule a kingdom...
772 92 15
Deep in the Bavarian woods, where the faerie realm touches on the human world lies Schloss Mondschein. Owned by a corrupted human family, the castle...
8.2K 319 32
A servant's daughter befriends the prince and finds an unlikely friendship. One that would be greatly scrutinized. Pushed and pulled, the prince has...