The Infection: Zombies Awaken...

Por 10deadmask01

"It was Hell's kitchen. On the dirty checker floors, was blood. Red mush stained over almost the entire floor... Más

Chapter 1 - The beginning
Chapter 2 - The first sign
Chapter 3 - The first checkup I took alone
Chapter 4 - 4 years later
Chapter 5 - Unknown
Chapter 6 - Hidden Secrets
Chapter 7 - Daniels Journal: Escape
Chapter 8 - A Sinister look on his face
Chapter 10 - Risky Escape
Chapter 11 - In the Eyes of Sadness
Chapter 12 - Helping the Enemy
Chapter 13 - Prey Befriends the Predator (Part 1)
Chapter 14 - Prey befriends the Predator (Part 2)
Chapter 15 - Teaching the word: Friendship
Chapter 16 - Trusting another?
Chapter 17 - A sudden betrayal: The real foe
Chapter 18 - How friendship works
Chapter 19 - The 'sorry'
Chapter 20 - This Way
Chapter 21 - Goodbye Remember
Chapter 22 - Scarred Heart Tearing soul
Chapter 23 - Friends will always return
Chapter 24 - Responsibilities
Chapter 25 - Dangerous night
Chapter 26 - Guilt of the weak
Chapter 27 - The Chase
Chapter 28 - Goners
Chapter 29 - Saved by another...?
Chapter 30 - Believe
Chapter 31 - Acceptance
Chapter 32 - The Letter of happiness
Chapter 33 - A whole new escape
Chapter 34 - Not leaving you behind
Chapter 35 - You again...
Chapter 36 - Liar
Chapter 37 - Disguist
Chapter 38 - Spared for now
Chapter 39 - Captured
Chapter 40 - Tortured
Chapter 41 - Trapped, Forever
Chapter 42 - Expanding

Chapter 9 - Always be brave

12.3K 365 45
Por 10deadmask01

I struggle to pry free, but I couldn't. And unfortunately, neither Professor Amy nor anyone else was in sight in the hallway, but Professor Grant.

"Rima, what on earth are you doing?" He snapped. " Today, there's an emergency evacuation day!"

My eyes widen, in shock of this sudden event. "E-Emergency evacuating day?!"

"What do you think?" He grunts, "And now you think you can try to escape??? How could you even think of trying to run away at a time like this?"

"I-I'm not!" I try to protest, but it was no use. Just by seeing the packed bag I was wearing, even I couldn't lie. He knew what I was planning. At that moment, his face grew red with fury.

"You think I'm a fool, Rima?" He growls, "I know what you're planning. You think you can escape now?!"

"It's better than living here, knowing that you lied to me!" I counter, almost yelling back at him. "Daniel didn't die here, he ran away-"

"And that's what you want as well hmm?" His eyes flash an adverse annoyance, as his hand begins to tighten even more on my wrists. I could almost feel fire bursting out from where my wrist was.

"Let go of me!!" I cry, now desperate to pry free from his grip.

"I have to keep you still, don't I?" He sneers immorally. He then releases a vexed sigh. "I didn't want to hurt you Rima, honest. But, you forced me to put my foot down."

"I'm disappointed in you Rima!" He tuts, almost sounding displeased. But, looking at his expression I saw an inhumane crossover between feelings: a disfigured mixture, between sadness, anger and hate. His whole body was trembling, as he then releases a crazed laugh (like how a mad-scientist would).

"Don't think you'll be leaving now, Orlume. I'm not letting you leave my organization-EVER, got it?"

"It's too late for you to escape now Rima!" He taunts.

And with that, raises the syringe in his hand above me. "Nighty night Rima Orlume!"

Sweat immediately pour from my head. Only two seconds left, before plunging back into my doom. I had to escape, somehow.

My hand dives into my pockets, and grabs a long hard, cold handle. Yes, still had the kitchen knife! Before he can make his move, immediately I take out the blade and stab it, right into his hand which holds his weapon. Once I release hold of the knife, its blade is already etched deep into his flesh, making a huge cut. Blood starts to squirt out. He screams, dropping the tranquilizer and tumbles over, grasping his arm in agony.

And now was my chance. But before I can make a run for it, I felt an arm grab my leg and end up tumbling over face first. Shit!

The moment I turn completely around, his body was now hovering above mines, the same syringe in his other hand instead.

"N-NO!!!" I scream, and with that was forced to blow a kick, right between his legs.

"Ugh!" He wheezes falling forward, dropping the bloodly tool. I quickly rolled out from underneath him to avoid being squashed, snatching the anesthetic it before he can, and with that I ran for my life.

The hall way lights were being reflected off the silvery steel floors, one by one as I dash down the hallway. I was breathing loudly, my heart aching by the endurance I had to run. Then in the distance, I could hear screams of shock; even hearing a voice cry out 'Dr. Grant what happened?!'

They must've seen what I did. Not like it mattered now though. The past was the past.

But, just as I turned to a corner out of nowhere I crash into someone.

"Rima!" Professor Amy cries happily, and with that gives me a light hug of relief. "I was so worried about you. I tried to visit you this morning, but Professor Grant was continuously dumping work onto me. He must've figured out the plan, so we must hurry."

We continue heading down the hallway, away from the complex. It fades, the further we push on. And I feel hope-real hope, for the first time.

We snake around the corridors, several times before finding an exit.

Once we manage to escape through a hidden door, we were outside the backyard on Grant's mini-camp site; loaded with lots of trucks and tanks. I began looking around just like Professor Amy. There was hardly anyone around, as they were most likely still inside, since it was still around 7 in the morning. She then leads me behind pulls me behind a giant tank.

And from here, we started to talk.

"Rima," She informs, "You know what the plan is, right?"

"Y-Yes." I reply, my voice almost hoarse.

"Ok." Her gaze then turns towards one way. I too, look over as well. "Best if you head that way, and try to get over the fence alright?"

I nod.

"Good." She exhales, "So before you go on your own, I-"

"W-What?!" I croak, "Y-You never mentioned that I had to go alone!"

"I-I don't want to run away alone! P-please stay with me Professor Amy!" I cling on the sleeve of her arm even more tighter by the minute.

At that moment, she gently takes my trembling hands, with a calm response. "Rima, I understand you're still far too young to go on your own. But you've heard of what Dr. Grant has done to the other survivors didn't you?"

"Right now, you need to get to a safer place. I know you have the immune blood, and finding a cure involves the risk of your well-being, but I disagree with Professor Grants plans. He's always been stubborn, aiming at achieving only his own goals, regardless of who dies along the way."

She too, begins to cry. "I won't let him hurt you hear me?"

I nod, feeling a shudder for a second. Better than actually seeing it myself. Still I was able to visualize it in my head--and how Daniel has ran away, as well.

"Daniel...H-he," I struggle to say, "I know what happened to him. He also ran away as well, didn't he."

Her eyes seem to glow with worry, moving away as if reluctant of me finding out.

"He did." She finally admits, not even bothering to sugar coat the truth. "But I won't just let you run clueless, like before, when Daniel escaped; I know where a place where you can take refuge to."

Her gaze then meets towards the distance towards the west. "I don't know how you'll actually get there, but there's no other choice. You know there's another safe refuge place 200 miles east from here. It's also a major research laboratory, researching on finding a cure for the virus; FREZ."

Suddenly, I remember. "Aren't they the enemy?"

"Not for you though Rima. The thing is..." She gleams at me, hope still strong in her. "You're uncle: Vermont Orlume owns that research laboratory. He, out of everyone else will want to keep you safe! I promise you."

A whole new expression was on me now, as I was flabbergasted. My uncle was the owner of FREZ. Yet no one even told me, or mentioned it to me all this time.

"I can understand that you're minds probably filled with fear of anxiety for what problems and obstacles you may face. But, I can guarantee what you have to handle out there, would be as bad as what you have to handle-"

And Professor Amy glances back to the building, with a dirty look on her face before finishing. "Here."

"I'm begging you Rima, you must go! Not only for your safety, but..." Amy nervously takes out a sealed envelope from her pocket, gazing down at it with difficulty.

"I-I want to ask you a favor."

A favor?

My eyes were now focused on the piece of blank paper she now held ever so tightly in her trembling hands.

"You see, I had a very close friend working there." She blinks holding back tears," Well, not very close now. I can't connect with her anymore. Ever since we began working in separate laboratories, we had no clue they were both rivals. A-And now that she's gone, it's like...like."

Amy forcefully admits, "It's like living in a life filled with missing pieces! I miss her so much, and I want to contact her once more, whatever way possible. Please?"

At first I gave this some thought. I felt a bit guilty. I look at her, still feeling the same doubt of success in the plan. But what touched me was the part where she mentioned 'Life of missing pieces.' That was how I'm living right now. I could never let her down. Not now. We've gone too far to lose. And she was helping me as well. I had to return the favor.

"B-But, Professor Amy, I...I..."

At this rate, even I knew I couldn't argue back. Even if I did, Professor Amy would probably scold me back or add on something even more crucial to the idea. There was no way in avoiding the fact that I had to...

Instantly I burst into tears.

Just from seeing my terrified emotions, causes an impact to her.

"Rima..." Professor Amy says, regretfully, "I'm sorry for putting you in such a rough decision. I won't force you, since it's your decision. If you don't want to, then-"

"No." I inform. Confidently wiping away the tears, I repeat, "No, I do. We've gone to far now just to suddenly give up."

My hands then clench together tightly, as I gaze back up confidently at Professor Amy, before declaring, "I do want to escape, and help deliver your letter!"

How could I say no now? Even if I did make it there safely, it's not like that would guarantee Professor Amy anything as well, what so ever. I might as well have both her and me gaining contempt of this scheme.

There was no way I was going to turn down this plan. It was my chance--heck, maybe my only chance in escaping this nightmare.

Her eyebrows then furrow unsurely. "Are you sure about this, Rima?"

Without hesitation, I nod. "Yes."

A bright look automatically spreads on her face as she then hands me the letter.

"Thank you Rima." She smiles sadly, tears already filling her eyes. "I know I can count on you. Please have a safe journey. And no matter what- always be brave, young Rima."

"Sometimes, the solutions to your problems can come, from where you'd least expect it."

That last sentence was etched into my mind. From where I'd least expected...?

Suddenly, we began to hear the same voices of the guards draw close. Uh oh.

Cautiously, we then peek through the truck window just as the voices come to an abrupt stop. Here, we spot around 10 to 15 soldiers, all aligned with rifles and other weaponry in their hands. One soldier specifically (wearing the most badges and such) stands in front, walking slowly across each and every one of them.

"You two, clean the south!" The lead soldier orders, " You three with me, the rest scan this area!"

I bit my lips, uncomfortably. They were probably looking for me.

Professor Amy also had a tense expression. "Rima, stay here, while I'll try to mislead the soldiers somewhere else. Once they're gone, you should move out."

I gulp, before replying with an 'ok'. One the other hand, I also had to ask, "D-Does this mean good-bye now?"

Another long pause overcomes our discussion, as we stare eye to eye, both with worry and sadness. Slowly, I see her hand rise up to my cheek, lightly grasping it in her palm.

Unfortunately, she was forced to nod. "Yes."

Her arms then wrap around me again, hugging me ever so tightly one last time. "Goodbye Rima."

I could feel my eyes become wet as well. "Goodbye," I sniffed.

And from the moment she releases me, and steps out from our cover-I knew that from this point on, I was on my own now.

I watch, as she casually makes her way towards the building, as if nothing was happening around her. As the soldiers were already more than gone from this part of the area, one of them spots Amy.

"M-Miss Amy!" One of the soldiers call out, before running up to meet her. "What are you doing here?"

"I thought I dropped something here." She shrugs, "But more to the point, why aren't you all in your positions, guarding the fortress?"

"Professor Grant gave us strict instructions to look for the Rima girl." One of the soldiers answer.

"Well, Rima certainly doesn't seem to be here. I haven't seen Rima around here now. Better to not waste your time trying to search a place with no findings, don't you think?" Professor Amy suggests, "Try searching the northwest instead."

The soldiers look at each other unsure." B-but Officer Marvin commanded us to stay he-"

"Did you not hear about the evacuation today?" Professor Amy reminds, " There was an announcement today, of spotting a large horde of infected creatures outside to the far west of our barricade."

"Oh, yes!" One of the soldiers agrees, " We should be guarding those walls, in case the attack gets out of hand."

"Exactly." she says, "Better to protect your last home base, rather than waste time searching hopelessly. I'm sure someone must've found Rima."

One soldier still looks doubtful. "B-but-"

"I'll speak with your officer and Professor Grant about tracking this experiment."

"Y-yes, ma'am!" The soldiers salute quickly, and head to their newly assigned posts. One of the soldiers then reminds, "Mrs. Amy, you should get inside. Being outside the building, may not be the safest option."

She nods and headed back into the research laboratory. Watching her go, I could feel fear dwell into my very own intuition. Now I'm really on my own.

I then continue to stay undercover behind the truck for a while. Out of nowhere, I gasped as the ground abruptly shakes with the sound of an explosion, nearly causing me to fall over. I quickly gripped onto the sides of the truck, until finally it stops.

Now, many loud gunfire's, loud calls and moving vehicle noises began on the other side of the truck. Cautiously, I take another take glance out to where the sounds were coming from.

And now, it really was a full-out battle. Far beyond my eye level, I can see sparks of what looked like missiles, pounds of sand dust filling the air in certain parts of the field, and many, many men, tanks and trucks being forced to move to where the war had taken place.

"They've overrun the first barricades!" I heard a distant soldier cry. "Get to the second walls immediately! Make sure none of them get past the third barrier, and summon the mines when ready!"

I then squeeze my eyes shut just as the ground rumbles once more, as another explosion is triggered.

Guess an ambush really did started now. I take a few moments to build up my courage, and until the close was clear did I -and luckily enough, no one was nearby, or able to even notice me based on what was happening right now.

Once the coast was clear, I began to slowly make my approach through the field on unused/unneeded vehicles, towards the last barrier of Grant's land; the electrical wired fence. It was at least a kilometer or so away from where I first started. Now was where the risky escape began.

How was I going to make it through, without letting any of the other soldiers notice? I wondered. But, there was no other way in getting to the ends of the fence (at least, without getting caught by anyone). So with a deep breath, tightening my backpack to avoid making clanging sounds and tighten of my shoes, I dash out into the open, running through the sandy field, in hopes that no one would see. Small shrubs and plants surrounded me as I ran, not bothering to look back though. Another few minutes and I was at last standing, inches away from the surging fence. Beyond it was more sandy terrains, small shrubs and bushes but rarely any barrels, busted huts and trees. Great....

The good thing was, there were at least several empty trucks and tanks here now, which I can hide. The bad news: One touch on the surrounding fence and I was roasted.

As I examine the wired fence, slowly I made my way down a pathway, side-by-side to the electrical barricade in hopes of finding a clue, or even a small opening which I can crawl through. But, there was no such luck. As I stroll underneath mid-day sun, I started feeling a bit drowsy, even tired as well. Finally, I gave up and decided to rest underneath the shadow of a corner tank. I took a deep breath, at last feeling the adrenaline rush come down to a calm.

Suddenly, that's when a loud gunfire nearby makes me jump. Oh snap. My first thought was that they've found me, and I was back on the move. Rushing out of the cool shade of the vehicle, I quickly duck behind another much smaller, reddish trailer truck, and managed my way over to the fences once more. However, the second I poke my head out towards the wires, a pale inhumane face stares back right at me.

______________________________

Hiya readers! xD thank you very much for reading my story up to here! Life is currently really busy right now, but I promise to upload the next chapter as soon as possible! It'd be awesome to know my readers point of view about this story, so feel please do comment if you can :D

Good luck, and hope you continue on reading!!

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

201K 25.6K 82
Centuries after an asteroid smashes into a star ship, the inhabitants must learn to survive space without technology or perish. Join princess Airome...
7.7K 417 34
Ivy Breeze took the test once, and without knowing it she became part of the most powerful group of magic users ever. But, when she starts to receive...
8.4K 188 17
- alternating povs ☆ For those like me who are incredibly downbad for this pixel emooo ☆ Mae, a burnt-out city slicker, retreated her toxic life for...