Weaving a Song

By Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... More

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 100

990 42 11
By Venari

March 6 3016 TA

Haldir and Legolas leaned against the wall waiting for everyone else. "What will we do when they come?"

"I am not sure." Haldir answered. "Avoid them is a good option if you cannot handle yourself."

"And you?" Legolas asked, his eyes lighting. "Surely you are no less angry than I?"

"Of course, I felt her dying before you did." Haldir said and then looked away. "But in this instance your father's temper is not the best one to have around enemies who should not just be allies but close friends."

"You looked ready to kill when we stepped into the throne room."

"Yes." Haldir said hesitantly.

"Then why do you act so calm now?"

"Because I have a cooler head on my shoulders than you." Haldir said. "Valar, Legolas, you know Aragorn better than I. You can see the need for a cool head more than I."

"Yes..." Legolas said. "I know the little acorn needs all the help it can get." He muttered. "But still... It is hard." He frowned and looked at Haldir. "I am surprised you do not hold more venom myself. I would." Legolas added at then end.

"Why?" Haldir asked, looking confused.

"He tried to steal what was rightfully yours." Legolas pointed out.

"Not at the time." Haldir said, eyes darkening. "And not now either."

"Yes now, even if it is not yet as you wish." Legolas said. "Valar Haldir, you need more self-confidence. But even so... Elrohir has done what you may not if Sauron succeeds."

Haldir's eyes widened as he looked at Legolas. "At this point does it matter? I know well enough what he did, but dwelling on it doesn't make me as much angry at him as much frustrated with your sister."

"Almiel is quite frustrating in many ways." Legolas said cocking his head. "But even so-."

"Don't tempt me Legolas." Haldir said. "I would rather everyone end up unharmed in this situation."

Legolas sighed as Haldir began to walk away. "Haldir-."

"Not now." Was the soft reply as he walked away.

That was rather callous.

Legolas frowned. Ada?

Who else do you think it could be?

Well you haven't deigned to speak to me before now.

You haven't on your end either.

I am not as strong as you. Legolas said. And what do you mean?

Truly Legolas? You just told a man who might soon lose his fiancé that a person he has reason to hate has done what he cannot. At least not yet. You could have just broken him.

I did not mean to hurt him.

No... but you did nonetheless. Do you think he does not endure enough pain every time he looks at Elrohir? He saw him kiss her, you did not. No, you might not have meant that when you said it, but you brought up quite a private matter because of your own anger for Elrohir.

Private? She is my sister.

She is not, however, your future spouse. You have little right to interfere in that matter. In other circumstances it might be understood, but in this matter your judgment is clouded by anger.

He should be more angry.

Do you think he is not? He was right. You need to cool your head. At the least I am far less concerned about Elrohir in terms of Almiel's life being threatened, and whilst they might still provoke you, or him, to anger, you need not make the situation worse.

I am sorry.

I am not the one you should apologize to. Then his father was gone once more. Legolas sighed. He found Haldir at the highest point of the wall, a place only those much accustomed to climbing trees could get to. Haldir said nothing as he sat beside him. "I am sorry." Legolas said softly. "My words were out of place."

Beside him Haldir stirred slightly. "It was nothing. You were angry."

"It's not a very good excuse." Legolas said sighing. "I realize now... I should not have said anything."

"It's not your fault." Haldir said.

Legolas laughed grimly. "Yes it is. They may have provoked me but I didn't have to lash out at anyone, certainly not you. And least of all for being the only one cool headed enough to make wise choices."

"I am not as wise as you make it sound. You're right. I am angry. Not just at them... but many different things... It could have been different." He said, staring out over the horizon.

"You have more cause than I."

"Perhaps. Will you be more calm when they return?" Haldir asked. "They are not far." He said nodding out. Their eyesight allowed them to see the company returning, and now they were quite close.

"Yes. We shall help each other, yes?" Haldir nodded in silent agreement.

*

Once the others came back to the Hornburg, all were given time to lie and rest for a brief while and take counsel. Haldir, Legolas, and Gimli stayed together for most of the time and when it was time they awoke Merry. "Come, Master Sluggard, and look at this place while you may!" Legolas told Merry.

"Where is Aragorn?" Merry asked.

"In a high chamber of the Burg," Legolas answered, "He has neither rested nor slept, I think. He went thither some hours ago, saying that he must take thought, and only his kinsman, Halbarad, went with him; but some dark doubt or care sits on him."

"They are a strange company, these newcomers," said Gimli. "Stout men and lordly they are, and the Riders of Rohan look almost as boys beside them; for they are grim men of face, worn like weathered rocks for the most part, even as Aragorn himself; and they are silent."

"But even as Aragorn they are courteous, if they break their silence." Said Legolas.

"And what of the fair men who rode with them?" Merry asked. Haldir glanced at Legolas who seemed calm, if his back was not a little stiffer.

"They are the Sons of Elrond." Legolas answered.

Merry noticed nothing and asked. "Why have they come? Have you heard?" He had now dressed and pulling his cloak around them the four of them passed the gates and went towards the gate of the Burg.

"They have been hunting Orcs for a long time, and they will continue to do so until there are no more Orcs to be found. I suppose they figured joining Aragorn would be the best way to do so." Legolas said to answer Merry's question. Fortunately Merry changed the subject after that.

After the midday meal, Legolas, Gimli, and Haldir went to seek out Aragorn. They found the Sons of Elrond with him, but even so they kept the peace as much as they could. Éomer came and joined them also and then they walked out of the gate to the king. Legolas, Gimli, and Haldir stayed behind the procession, making sure to also keep as much space between them and the lords of Imladris as possible.

Then the Grey Company took leave of Théoden to go by their own way to the Paths of the Dead. Aragorn explained his choice to Legolas and Gimli (and consequently Haldir). All agreed to go forward with him for Legolas and Gimli would not leave him, and Haldir was following them for the time being.

"You have been avoiding us." Elladan said as they arrived in Edoras. "Perhaps he did not say as much to you, but Aragorn told us we need to make our peace." Legolas dismounted his horse, helping Gimli down mutely and then spoke softly to his horse as it was led off before he turned away, Haldir staying close beside him.

However, it was unintentional that Elrohir, who had been searching for his brother, suddenly appeared before them blocking their way. Legolas and Haldir both stopped short and Gimli nervously edged to the side out of the way. All the others of their company were near and watched the four of them curiously.

"Shall we make peace?" Elladan asked. Legolas stared ahead trying hard to keep his mouth shut, but to all who could see it was clear that his eyes were blazing in fury. "Will you admit your lie?" Legolas tried to round on Elladan, but Haldir grabbed him and kept him from doing anything else.

"Peace would be well for all." Haldir said softly.

Elladan laughed lightly. "Were not you, Haldir, the main cause of this? You were the one that convinced him of the lie. Perhaps you should confess first." Haldir's eyes hardened but he said nothing. Legolas was practically shaking by now.

Legolas, calm down. Haldir said to him. Please, for all our sakes.

I am trying. Legolas said closing his eyes. He focused on a song his father once taught him.

"Brother-." Elrohir started, trying to keep his brother from saying more, but Elladan shushed him.

"Come now marchwarden, you know it was your envy that caused all this. You just wanted the Elvenking's daughter for yourself." Elladan said. "Using a random illness to get your way is a little low..."

Haldir had stiffened but he remained calm. Legolas knew he had more experience staying calm. "If it were a random illness, we would still have a cause against you." Legolas said.

"Ah, he speaks." Elladan said. "Tell me, what cause have you? Elrohir did nothing wrong."

"You know nothing!" Legolas finally snapped. "You were not there!"

"Neither were you." Elladan said.

"Then why did my sister pale when she saw you?" Legolas asked.

"Perhaps she was also poisoned."

"By him!" Legolas said looking at Elrohir. Elrohir paled. "I think all of us would be much more willing to have peace if you would but admit what you have done. Even your father knows what has happened!"

"Then tell me? What happened?"

"Legolas." Haldir said softly. "It is not worth it." Legolas glanced at him and then nodded.

"He's right. We have much worse things to be worried about. Keep your peace." Legolas said and started to walk away. Haldir started to turn but Elladan grabbed him by the arm.

"Are you always right? Does Thranduil know how you feel for his daughter?"

"And how do I feel?" Haldir asked coldly.

"Only fools could not see the look in your eye when she is mentioned."

Well... he's not wrong. Legolas told him, though Haldir could sense his anger.

Thanks.

"And only fools accuse others when they are guilty themselves." Haldir said quietly.

At that, Elrohir's emotions finally sparked. "My brother is not a fool!"

"Oh?" Legolas asked. "And you can talk?"

"I never hurt your sister!" He rounded on Haldir. "And I hope Thranduil turns on you too." Haldir cocked his head but said nothing.

"Do not tempt me," Legolas said hissing. "I have enough cause to kill you as it is."

"You will not touch my brother!" Elladan growled.

Then there was a bunch of confusion and then everyone looked surprised as all four were pointing a form of weapon at the others. Legolas' bow was trained on Elrohir whose sword was on Haldir's neck whose dagger was ready to throw at Elladan whose spear was ready to hit Legolas.

Gimli's face was pale, and all of the Grey Company looked on in utter fright and confusion. Aragorn came running out of nowhere. "Of all people!" He yelled in the same language, but none of the Elves moved. "For the sake of all good in this world, lower your weapons! You are allies, not enemies!"

All of them, somewhat stiffly, slowly lowered their weapons. Elrohir looked the most emotionally spent. "Look! Even if I did hurt her I had no intention of doing so. You and your father are cold and unforgiving for a crime I never knowingly committed."

"And you are blind!" Legolas said.

Elrohir's face reddened. "Curse then be on you both, as I hope you are punished as I." He said and stormed away. Legolas' face paled quite quickly.

"Never have we need of any curse." He said to himself.

"Selfish princeling." Elladan hissed.

Legolas rounded on Elladan. "Curse you as well, Elladan! We used to be brothers! Yes, your mother Sailed. I am sure your brother was but seeking love, albeit in a lustful way, but do not tell me I have not experienced enough pain! My mother died. Sauron attacked my family. My father lost three children to the darkness. My sister almost died thrice from forms of darkness!"

"Your father-!"

"Say nothing of my father," Legolas said, "I am sure your own father could tell you what happened in the Second Age, much less in the First. My father is not as you think! You tell me then whether or not you would have survived what he did. My father was ripped to shreds! And you tell me that we need a curse? Almiel is already cursed." He finished yelling and tore from the scene.

"I stand by what I said." Haldir said quietly. Elladan's burning and somewhat surprised eyes turned to his. "We could have ignored you peacefully. You are yet a child if you do not know when to keep your mouth shut." Then he turned and glided from the scene.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.2K 761 26
Awarthrie was the only child of Kili and Tauriel, raised by Glóin. She hates the shinny pointy eared tree-hugging bastards. The apparent enmity betwe...
365K 9.8K 60
Amarië has been traveling for a long time searching for the right place to settle down. During her journey she meets new friends and faces some dange...
16.6K 299 24
For everyone who dreams of a life far, far away in Middle Earth. Settling down with one of the fine Elves Tolkien created. This is a collection of fl...
112K 2.6K 22
When a princess elleth unknowingly enters the realms of Mirkwood, she finds herself to be the missing piece to a promise made long ago