I Was, I Am.

By Kimayaa

Arjun, Disha, Aditi and Aakash had always been an inseparable group. But when circumstances separate the four... More

I Was, I Am.
-GLITTER AND JITTERS-
-A UTOPIA-
-THANKS AAKASH-
-FINALLY-
-THE INTERVIEW-
-TRAINEE ME-
-PROBLEM-
-CHAI-SHAI-
-THE STRIKE-
-DIMPLE DEALS-
-THE BIRTHDAY BOY-
-PRESENT V/S PAST-
-THE FAREWELL- I-
-THE FAREWELL- II-
-THE FAREWELL- III-
-OFFICIAL-
-THE KAPOOR CONTRACT-
-INCOMPLETE REVELATIONS-
-THE REJECTED DESIGN-
-THE PRESENTATION-
-FOR REAL-
-THE LETTER-
-LOVE IS IN THE AIR-
-THE DEBACLE-
-BONHOMIE-
-ACCEPTANCE-
-PERFECT-
-APOLOGIES-
-DRUNKEN REVELRY-
-FROZEN-
-SKYPE-
-THE WALL-
-THE BOND-
-CUPS AND CARPETS-
-HERE WE GO-
-THE MEETING-
-NOW I KNOW WHY-
-THE SECRET-
-WHEN IT RAINS-
-THE GUEST-
-WEDDING BELLS-
-A BLAST FROM THE PAST-
-A CONFRONTATION-
-FORGIVEN-
-THE DANCE-
-DOWNHILL-
-IS IT THE END?-
EPILOGUE
I'M BACK?
DELETED SCENE-I
-R A N D O M F A C T S-
EPILOGUE-II
EPILOGUE-III
Mihir And Adrija's Story

-PRE-WEDDING SCENES-

21.5K 1K 361
By Kimayaa

EDITED CHAPTER#1

Indian weddings, oh the clichés!

Decorations going overboard, having more guests than you expected, running out of sweet dishes and kebabs because the aunties forgot they're diabetic and obese, the drink's counter perpetually occupied with uncles who have a never ending stock of philosophical tales and their own expert view on politics, little kids wailing and the slightly older ones running around in the pandal, the pandit ji asking for some new type of leaf or flower for some 'really' important custom and the list goes on.

Steering through the crowd was always a challenge; and I tried to do just that; along with trying to focus on not tripping on my lehenga too.

"Aditi!"

I turned around at being called.

"Yes aunty?"

"Marigold. He wants marigold flowers. They're out there in the basket. Can you please...?"

"...I'll get them." I said before she could complete.

Mala aunty was my best friend-Disha's mother. And as is obvious from her stressful request, it was her daughter's wedding.

Disha and I had been best friends for longer than I could possibly think. We met in the tenth grade and had been inseparable since then. Mala aunty was thus, like a second mother to me and my involvement in the wedding was way beyond just as a guest.

As I pulled up my lehenga and started steering through the crowd I tried extremely hard to duck my face and just blend in with the crowd in general; for obvious reasons. A traditional Indian wedding was the centre for matchmaking.

I could simply stand and spot at least five such groups of aging ladies who were out there either scrunching their nose at the wedding preparations; flaunting their own child's extravagant wedding; or sitting and match making for the youngsters.

I'd already gotten three such proposals; as per Ma; who'd found all of it absolutely ridiculous.

"Mrs. Mehra's was the best." Ma had laughed once.

"And what did she say?" I'd asked out of curiosity to have her say with air quotes;

"Your daughter's twenty five and still single? Hayo Rabba!." I'd laughed at Ma's amazing mimicry as she'd continued; "Good that my son is coming back from Canada. He's an IT professional and could give Hrithik Roshan a run for his money! They'll be an amazing match!"

I had had to roll my eyes at the cliché; and of course; hide myself from Rishab Mehra; the Canada return son of Mrs. Mehra throughout the course of the various ceremonies.

"Aditi!" I heard my name again, this time from a different voice, but certainly that of another aunty.

Dear Lord.

I rolled my eyes, for I was well aware what was coming next.

"Namaste aunty." I turned on my spot, forcing a grin and joined my hands in greeting as a random aunty who claimed to have known me since the time I was born, cleared the crowd and walked towards me.

Considering it was Disha and Arjun's wedding; the two of my best friends; and that all their relatives were attending the ceremony; her declaration of knowing me since my birth made absolutely no sense. But then again; if I was looking for logic in this stupid hobby of matchmaking; then I was the idiot.

Her pumpkin sized bottom dangled with each step she took and her extensively draped sari almost mopped the floor.

I never got the whole concept of wearing an outfit one can't carry; but never bothered to ask anybody anyway.

Her enormous figure stopping before me snapped me out of my thoughts immediately.

"Oh Aditi does it show?" she asked.

"Um...what shows?" I enquired.

My stare at her had probably not gone unnoticed as she went on to explain; "I've been going through a cumbersome weight loss regime you know...he charges fifty thousand a year..." Like that information was needed! , "....I caught you staring at me so I'm sure it shows..." she paused, " I have lost two kilos." She beamed.

Right.

And what was I supposed to say to that?

"Yes yes aunty. It totally shows. I mean that's exactly what I was seeing so intently..." Can someone please get me out of here? , ".....like look at you now. Wow."

She grinned from ear to ear at that compliment.

It's so amusing how one fake compliment can make someone so happy.

"So pretty you've become...." she said in her typical Punjabi accent; which gave away that she was from Arjun's side; as she cupped my face tightly with both her palms to the extent of crushing my jaw, "....hmm...Disha is all set, when do you plan on tying the knot?"

There. She'd dunned me with the traditional and forbidden question.

I stared at her blankly as I felt the patience within me snap.

Couldn't they just leave me and my relationship status alone?

A smirk reached her lips as my silence seemed to satisfy her. In her twinkling eyes I could see the whole lot of gossip she was weaving.

And you know what I felt like doing that instant?

I wanted to take that extensively draped pallu of her sari that was mopping the floor for free and choke her to death.

Not just her, but every damned aunty in the wedding hall who had asked me when I was getting married.

"Um..." I still fumbled; as I tried to say something that was not very impolite for a reply. Sue me for being taught manners to the point of self-destruction by my two morally impeccable parents!

"...Aditi! You're here? I've been searching for you everywhere!" I heard a familiar voice say from the background.

Perfect timing Aakash! She'll now have enough gossip to last her the entire wedding ceremony!

"Um...why?" I asked sheepishly, trying to avoid any conversations as I saw a smirk emerging on the Aunty's face.

He'd probably not noticed the woman before, but when he did, he stopped as; a look of realization marred his features and he declared;

"Rashi aunty is searching for you."

Is he serious or making something up? Ma can call me if she wants to see me, right?

I gave him a quick thankful glance anyway as I muttered;

"Aunty I have to..."

"...yes yes. You both carry on." She said coyly and merrily walked over to her group of aunties with the latest gossip about Aakash and I.

Oh joy.

I couldn't wrap my head around whether I was happy for Aakash rescuing me or annoyed at the gossip that would soon circulate about us.

Especially when I knew the chances of the gossip ever coming true were very few.

I snapped out from my chain of thoughts when I felt a familiar touch on my palm. "Come with me." Aakash huffed softly; as he pulled me with him.

"Aakash." I called out; "I have to take those flowers to Mala aunt-"

"-already done."

I shut up at that; only to start again; "I have to go talk to the pandit ji about the final ceremony and I-"

"-shh." He stated suddenly; his finger on my lips. My eyes widened at his proximity; as I tried hard to focus on breathing.

Quit acting like a teenager Aditi!

"I know you're busy and you want to help everybody; but you need to eat something first."

My breath hitched; as I stood motionlessly without a reply. His face broke into a subtle smile, before his fingers laced with mine and he guided me through the crowd to God knows where. My mind was in no state to think of the logistics.

I sat down on the closest chair upon his order and watched as he pushed through the crowd to get me food. Despite the usualness of it all, my heart warmed at his gesture.

He'd always been this caring.

But then why did this feel like so much more now since the past few months?

It was only when I ate up all that was there on my platter; which had a samosa and two jalebis; that I realized just how hungry I'd been.

"Thanks." I mumbled softly; as a smile touched his lips.

"You're most welcome."

But when I rose to leave, his hand gripped my wrist impulsively, clearly wanting to ask me something,

"What?" I queried;

"What was that Aunty bugging you about?"

"My marriage." I informed nonchalantly; only to have him give out a hearty laugh; the usual laugh of his that crinkled the edges of his eyes and made them glisten with an emotion that was both breath-taking and distracting.

"And what did you say?" he questioned, now a little quiet and sceptical.

"You came at the right time."

His gaze remained steady on mine for the next few seconds as he went on to ask; "What are your plans though? About marriage?"

You should know.

"I'm not settling down any time soon."

"Career?" he posed cautiously.

Why did we have to behave like there was nothing between us?

"I should get going Aakash." And with that, without waiting for a response from him, I scurried off to the completely opposite direction.

***

A/N

HELLO EVERYONE.

So this is my first romance/ drama on wattpad and I'm really excited.

Do vote and comment if you liked the chapter, helps me know if it is any good. :)

~kimayaa a.k.a. Ankita

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 191K 77
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...
137K 9.3K 64
Tarana Dheer. A young woman living alone in the bustling metropolitan city of Mumbai, trying to make her mark in the tough world of corporate PR in...
2K 682 164
đź’—Collection of Poemsđź’— You will find, poetry on self-love to selfless love... motivational to move on. A library to some words woven by me WITH THE...
17.1K 908 15
[COMPLETE- short story] IN PROCESS OF EDITING [WARNING: contains violence, many deaths, and some strong language. If you are not comfortable with t...