Fire & Ice

By LaceyWeatherford

Of Witches and Warlocks readers will love this story, which is a retelling of The Trouble with Spells, but fr... More

Rave Reviews for Fire & Ice
Copyright
Acknowledgments
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
About the Author
Other books by Lacey Weatherford

Chapter Nine

728 43 0
By LaceyWeatherford

Chapter Nine

Journal Entry:

Using magic to stuff some attitude down the face of people who really deserve it may not always be the best course of action, but it sure feels good sometimes. Enough of that though, nothing—and I mean nothing—will destroy my mood today. I'll never forget the way my lips felt pressed against hers, or the way my body instantly responded to the contact. It was one of the most powerful moments of my life, and there wasn't an ounce of magic involved in it!

***

All morning, fate had been working against me. Marsha needed me to help take her car to the shop, which made me late for school. Then, the counselor called me into his office and informed me I didn't have enough physical education requirements to graduate, so my schedule got all shifted around. This meant I didn't get a chance to see Portia before classes, so my mood was already a bit on the foul side as I made my way out to the baseball field for my new PE class. A bunch of guys were dressed in the required uniform and standing in front of the dugout, staring up the hill toward me. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but from the looks on their faces, I was fairly certain it wasn't nice.

The coach met me at the gate and I handed him my transfer paper. "Apparently I'm lacking PE requirements, so I was moved into your class," I explained.

"Do you have any workout clothes?" he asked, glancing at my attire with a slight frown.

"Not here at the school. I can bring some in tomorrow, though."

"All right. We can work around that for today." He faced in the direction of the waiting group. "Take the field, boys," he shouted. "Brad, you and Vance here can bat first. Ten pitches each. Try to work the field."

"No problem, Coach!" Brad called back. I knew him the best out of the guys on the field. Not that I was acquainted with him at all; he was captain of the football team, but he also happened to be the boyfriend of Portia's best friend, Shelly. A few more hushed whispers were spoken as I approached, then the group broke up and headed onto the field. Something was definitely going on.

Following Brad to where the bats were hanging in the chain link fence, I flung my jacket across the top and carefully looked at the available bats. A sudden sensation flooded through me and I had to fight hard not to smile. Portia was somewhere close by and she was concerned about me.

"Play much baseball?" Brad asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"Haven't really had the time," I replied, trying to use my senses to pinpoint where Portia might be. She was hiding somewhere, wanting to remain unseen.

"Well, pick a weight and length that feels good to you," Brad continued, grabbing a long, heavy looking bat. "Then you can go stand over there and warm up while I hit. Watch your stance, keep your eye on the ball, and do the best you can."

I leaned against the fence and folded my arms. "I think I'll just use the bat you're using."

He stared at me, shaking his head. "Whatever floats your boat, man." Going to the batter's box, he dug his cleats into the dirt. "Bring it," he called to the pitcher, Kurt.

Brad was good. I had to give him credit for that. His natural athletic abilities took over as ball after ball sailed toward the players in the field, giving them all a good workout as they rushed to catch them.

"Batter up," he said, turning to me and extending the bat when he was finished. I took it and stepped into the box.

"Do the best you can, son," the coach called from where he stood outside the third baseline.

I chuckled to myself. "Okay." If he wanted my best, then I'd give it to him.

Kurt's face was covered in a giant grin, warning me that something was in play. He wound back and threw. I recognized the sinker and automatically adjusted myself to hit it, using a little magical force to align things. Connecting perfectly, the ball sailed past the far fence. Everyone turned to stare at me, dumbfounded.

The grin slid from Kurt's face and a determined look replaced it. I waited for the next pitch, ready to tackle whatever he had to offer.

Portia's delight flooded through me, fueling my determination even more, as the balls went sailing past the fence, again and again, until the last one, which I added a large magical burst to, causing the bat to break in half.

"Sorry, bro. I guess I broke your bat," I said, holding the piece in my hand out to Brad. He stared at me wide-eyed, as if he were unable to believe what he'd seen. "I said I hadn't had time to play. I didn't say I couldn't."

Walking past him, I went to the fence to retrieve my jacket.

"How about going out for the team, son?" the coach called.

"Not a chance," I replied, walking off the field. There was no way I wanted to associate with any of these losers.

---

Despite my late arrival at school, it felt like lunchtime would never arrive. When the bell finally rang to release us, I hurried directly to Portia's locker, not wanting to risk missing her. I knew she often went to lunch with her friend Shelly, but today I wanted to see if she would come with me instead. Spending time with her had quickly become my favorite thing to do.

She didn't see me waiting as she paused with Shelly at her locker. Turning her head, she finally noticed me standing there. Giving a nod, I cast my glance in the direction of the door. She smiled, catching my meaning immediately.

Whispering something to Shelly, the two of them looked my way and Shelly all but shoved Portia in my direction. Portia smiled and continued over to meet me. I popped her locker open and took her books, putting them away and closing it again.

"How'd you do that?" she asked, her eyes wide.

Leaning in close next to her ear, I whispered, "Magic, remember?"

"Oh, yeah." She smiled as I reached down, linking our fingers together, and welcoming the spark that ran up my arm again at the contact.

Gently, I led her down the hallway toward the double doors as people stopped to stare at the two of us, some open mouthed, others pointing and whispering. It was crazy to see the reactions of our classmates, but I didn't mind one bit.

"Silly, isn't it?" Portia said as we stepped outside into the sunlight.

"Not at all. Now the whole school knows you're my girl." Claiming her with the words infused me with a deep, satisfying pleasure. I liked how it sounded.

She came to a dead stop, looking so cute as she squinted at me. "Is that what I am?" Her hand trembled in mine.

Moving so we were standing face to face, I stared down into her beautiful onyx eyes, feeling like I could drown in the depths of them. "That's what you are." Sliding my hands to the sides of her face, I bent and kissed her mouth. A pulse instantly shot through me at the contact and I had to have more. I moved my hands behind her, dragging her body the rest of the way to mine, closing the small space between us. Her hands traveled upward, latching around my neck and she opened her mouth willingly, allowing my tongue to sink inside her. She tasted so good, her breath sweet as if she'd recently eaten some delicious fruit.

Goose bumps flared across my skin, everything about me winding tighter and tighter. I wanted to consume her, right there on the sidewalk. I didn't care who was watching. My hands naturally heated and I had to force myself to release her, so I wouldn't burn her.

She stared at me, eyes wide, as if she too was in shock. I had to physically focus on cooling myself down. I couldn't stay away, though. I needed to touch her again.

Grabbing her hand, I pulled her in the direction of my bike, wanting to keep her moving before things could get awkward between us. I couldn't stop marveling about what I'd just experienced. It was incredible—and I wanted to do it again.

We left the parking lot and headed to a burger joint near the school. Leading her to an empty table, we sat down. I couldn't stop stroking her hand, loving the way her skin felt next to mine.

Memories of this morning filled my mind and watching her closely, I smiled.

"What?" she asked, acting confused.

"Did you enjoy the show this morning?" I couldn't resist teasing her.

"What show?"

"I knew you were there, you know, hiding behind the dugout. What a sneaky little girl you are." I shook my finger at her, laughing as her face stained brightly with color.

"You knew?" An amazed expression crossed her features. "Oh, this is so embarrassing." She groaned and covered her face with her free hand.

"Why don't you tell me what you were doing there?" She was so cute when she was flustered, and I continued to chuckle when she wouldn't meet my gaze.

"I was worried about you," she replied with a half shrug.

This surprised me. "Worried? Why?"

"Well, you seemed so melancholy when you left last night. I couldn't get you, or your story, out of my head. I had all these nauseating thoughts of what would happen if your . . . " her voice dropped to a whisper and she glanced around, " . . . if your dad were to suddenly find you. It terrified me to think I could wake up one morning and you would just be gone—poof—like you'd never even been here. Then I got to school today, and you weren't there. I couldn't find you after class either and—"

"And you thought the worst happened, so you came looking for me." I felt horrible. Had I been paying better attention, I would've known. "Oh, Portia. I'm so sorry for worrying you. I had to help Marsha get her car to the shop and it didn't open until right when school started. Then, when I did finally get there, I had to go to a meeting and do some schedule changes with the counselor. I didn't even think you might be alarmed about it."

She rolled her eyes. "Well, I feel completely foolish now."

"Don't." I covered her hand in both of mine. "You have no idea how much it means to know you cared enough to do something like that. I haven't had anyone do something that sweet for me in a long time." I stared at her, wishing I could somehow better convey my feelings. Her heart was so pure and sweet.

"Order number ten," a voice behind the counter called, breaking the moment. Reluctantly, I stood and went to get our food.

---

"Spill it," Marsha said, coming in from her hostess position at Bruce's restaurant. Because he was a coven member, he'd hired her for the job, knowing she wanted it to be kept off the books. Everything he paid her was under his wife's name, so he wasn't cheating anyone out of taxes or anything like that. This allowed Marsha to work without leaving a paper trail that could easily be followed.

"Spill what?" I asked, glancing at her from where I was sitting on the couch, totally confused as to what she was talking about.

"The rumor mill says you were spotted holding hands with Portia at school today and that you were seen kissing too." She crossed her arms and stared at me, raising an eyebrow as she waited.

"Oh, that." Trying really hard to keep the grin from spreading across my face, I turned back toward the television. "What do we want to do for dinner tonight?"

"Don't you even try to change the subject on me, mister. What's going on? Are you dating her now?"

I shrugged. "If you call holding hands and eating lunch together dating, then yeah, I guess so. I haven't really had the chance to ask her on a proper one yet."

"So, is this like a once in a while thing? Are you going to ask other girls out as well?"

"Um, no. It's Portia or nothing." There was no way I could even look at anyone else. She was it for me.

"So, this is like a steady boyfriend/girlfriend thing then?"

"Yep," I replied, knowing she wanted me to elaborate some more, but I didn't want to. I wanted to keep my feelings regarding Portia to myself for a while. They were private.

"Why didn't you tell me all this when I asked you the other day?"

"There wasn't anything to tell. It was all new and I wanted to see how things went before my well-meaning, matchmaking aunt got involved. Don't mess things up for me, Marsha. Let it develop as naturally as it can, okay?"

"What do you mean naturally?" She studied me harder, looking for the hidden significance behind my words.

I sighed. "I mean I want things to develop however they will between the two of us. No inviting her here for dinner, or collaborating with her parents to get us together. We already have a connection and I want to see how it will develop on its own." I stood and went into the kitchen, hearing her footsteps following behind me. "Now, I'm starving. I know you just got off work and probably don't want to cook anything, so I can either make something for you or we can hit a restaurant. You decide."

"Let's go out," she replied with a smile.

"Where to?"

"Anywhere that's not Bruce's. I love his place, but I need a break from it." She tossed me her keys. "And you're driving. Let me go change really quick."

"Okay. I'll meet you in the car." I headed toward the garage.

"Vance?" she called after me and I turned. "I won't interfere; but please know I think Portia is the perfect choice for you. I'm happy about it."

Unable to help it, I smiled at her. "I am too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

464 9 1
Discontinued here. Continued, and thriving, on Inkitt under the same name.
43.7K 2.7K 47
In a world where all different creatures roam openly. There is only one rule that holds true. Stay true to your kind. A simple rule to those who we...
1K 64 30
'𝓐 𝓯𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓵 𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂 𝓪𝓫𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓪 𝓶𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓵𝓭 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓶𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓼🔮🔮✨' ...
691K 28.9K 53
Devis Patterson is an ordinary school boy. He is pretty popular and was ones part of the school's rugby team. After he found out he was gay he stoppe...