In Your Company

By PrawnLMB

--Re-written-- When I was 8 we were playing hide and seek in the little park surrounded by bush down the stre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Authors Note

Chapter 9

76 6 1
By PrawnLMB

5:34

"Perfect timing guys. Now everybody start going to get ready, parents should be arriving soon."

The younger kids came later to the rehearsal, as we didn't want to leave them without their parents on some of their first concerts ever, so we didn't get to practice in the exact running order. But once they were finished everyone goes back to start getting ready for the start of the concert at 6:30. I also didn't get to practice my solo, but since we still have an hour, I will run it quickly before the doors open.

Christina was going to help me with my hair and makeup. I normally manage by myself, but with little use of one hand, and lots of quick changes, she offered come and help. She also put herself in charge of our own group performance. Also, for the music performances, some of the acts need piano or guitar accompaniment, which I am helping with. So she also decided to pick out a black dress that I wear when I am doing that.

"So, Does Christina have everything ready? We still haven't seen our own performance outfits." I nod. Although we are not a technical class, the four of us always perform a song.

In our first music class so many years ago, the first project was to perform a song with the group Ms Blakeson put you in. She called it 'Project Band'. Of course, the four of us, Faith, Mia, Coral and I, all got put in the same group. We instantly became friends, bonding over the kicking incident. Taylor never joined the music program. I can't even remember why I was allowed to join, while Taylor didn't, I think she had a temper tantrum because she didn't want to. Instantly, the four of us started to sing the song Ms Blakeson gave us, our voices moulding together smoothly.

Soon after that, we moved onto high school, all going to the same one, our friendship growing even more. We started performing more as a group, even though the project finished years ago. It was our favourite pastime. Then Youtube became a thing, we started to upload covers of songs, just for fun. Our viewings grew, and we started to work out how to write our own songs.

"She should be here soon. But she wants them to be a surprise." Coral, seemingly happy with this answer walks out of our backstage dressing room to go and do whatever it is she is doing. Since my solo is the last act before the interval, only because I needed the floors still on for it, and I have 3 other dances in the first half, she is helping me get ready before we start the night, and then straight after each dance. At interval she was again coming to get all of us girls ready for our group performance which was the first performance after interval, the helping in the small gaps then. After my last dance performance I don't need to be on stage again, and I have no accompanying to do, so Christina was going to come and help me get all the makeup off and just put a light layer on so I looked presentable at the end of the night.

"I'm here Dani boy!" Think of the devil. Turning around in the cramped room, I look at Christina and her glowing complexion.

"I am soooooooo excited Dani! I haven't got to come to your concerts before!" Christina normally is working around this time, at a Fashion Week of some sort.

"You do know it is my last year right?"

"Well yeah. I can still be excited though."

"Well, not to rush you, but I need to be ready in 15 minutes so I can help the kids and run my dance."

"Yes sir!" With a slight giggle, Christina sets to work. She is always a bit giddy when she is styling. I guess that is what happens when you enjoy doing something.

She starts with my hair, pulling it into a tight bun. My first group dance is a ballet one, so we are all wearing long flowing grey dresses. It was a beautiful dance, one that you could put lots of expression into, whilst having difficult technique. We used it for a competition at the start of the season, and Ms Blakeson wanted us to do it for tonight. That is the same for most of the dances I am in tonight, they were competition dances that we just ran over and tweaked every so often leading up to tonight. Each dance is ranked for competition season, not based on age, although age can come into play. Especially for the specialty categories, Ms Blakeson made sure to only choose the best dancers for each genre. Most groups are made up of older girls, just because they are more experienced, but there are some where we have mixed in younger ones to bring our average age down.

"Is this too tight?" Pulling my hair into a bun was not a glamorous job apparently.

"No. It's fine." I think competition season would be something I missed the most. The thrill of performing onstage in front of hundreds to people you don't know, the excitement, the adrenaline, the rush to learn new dances. Traveling to different places to compete every other weekend. It was an exhausting but rewarding season every year. Becoming the national champ does have its perks, and being in a winning dance school also has its perks.

The first time I even got to the national competition as a soloist, our school didn't get in as a group, just me. Everyone came who was in the competition team anyway to support me. That was my first year in the Senior team, being the youngest member. I didn't win that year, but consecutively after that I have won. I have also got to compete at worlds for the past 3 years, but never winning that title was not an issue for me, as everyone from different parts of the world were amazing.

"I think that that is the best bun I have ever done Dani." A wide smile is spread on her face in the reflection in the mirror.

"Makeup time!"

"I quite like people doing my makeup." I state. "It's relaxing." Christina opens my makeup bag, slightly fangirling. I have lots of makeup, and most of it is a good brand. Makeup is one of the only things I ask my parents for Christmas or birthdays. It's a simple thing to get, and something I don't like having to buy for myself. I don't wear it often, only on special occasions and when I'm dancing.

"Danielle? How long will you be? We need to run your dance once before people start coming in."

"She will be 5 minutes Ms Blakeson. I'm nearly done, and then you can do a run through." Humming an approval, Ms Blakeson rushed out of the room and to somewhere else in the hall. You can tell she is getting tired, as her eyes have lost just a little but of the normal sparkle that is in them.

"All done!" I jump up from the seat I was in, stripping of the singlet I have on over my sports bra.

"Jeez Dani! You know I'm engaged to you brother right?"

"Ha ha ha. We all know dancing with a loose singlet on is not Ms Blakeson's favourite thing."

"Sure Dani. If that's what you say..." Hitting her shoulder softly, I jog out of the room. My shoes were discarded hours ago, opting for bare feet.

"Let's make this quick Ms Blakeson. I need to go and check on some of the kids."

"True art can't be rushed Dani." The old lady walks down the stairs that lead to the floor of the hall. In there are some kids hanging round in the chairs, waiting for the doors to open to go to the tightly packed dressing rooms. Smart kids. But now they will have to watch my rehearsal. Tugging the straps of the purple sports bra, I fall into my starting position. Running through my dance felt like a quick breath of fresh air, but I was rapidly falling back to reality, and the stress of the night ahead of me.

"I think I'm ready." I say, slowly walking to the front of the stage.

"I think so too. You look absolutely beautiful Dani."

"Mumma Blakeson!" Joel walks through that door, carrying a big plastic bag, like he owns the place.

"Joel! It's been too long!" Ms Blakeson may be like a second mother to me, but she is a best friend to Joel. I feel as though sometimes they talk to each other more than I do. They give each other a hug, like they haven't seen each other in years.

"Hello hubby to be." Christina says, walking up behind us. Ms Blakeson walks away, to a small group of girls chatting to each other.

"Hi Darling." Tilting his head slightly he pecks her on the cheek, whilst still having his attention on me.

"So mum sent this, and said to give it to you." Looking at the bag I can already feel the price radiating.

Taking it softly from his hands, I peek inside to reveal a large black Louis Vuitton tote bag, with a matching wallet. And of course also is a pair of Dior mirrored sunglasses, from what I can see on the tag and beautiful case.

"Wow..." Joel looks at me in pity. What an 'I'm Sorry Gift'.

"I know. I feel as though they got you mixed up with Taylor." He states.

Putting on a fake smile, I try and cheer up. "You know what. Mum probably thought a lot about this. And I do like them. It's just not something I would normally like." It felt strained and fake, just to say that.

"There she is! Making lemonade out of oranges. We need that attitude for the concert!" Giving Christina a weird look, I push the feeling out of my mind. No time to think about that now.

"I put the dress out for your music performances on the chair. And I have got everything ready for you to change and everything. We should get going Joel, I think the doors are about to open, and we need to go and put these in the car for Dani." Christina takes the items out of my hands and pulls Joel away.

Walking back into my dressing room, I see the black dress Christina has laid out for me. It is the most beautiful thing. The main fabric of the dress was a sheer black lace, that would fall to mid thigh, but it had a strip around the bust area underneath the lace that was a plain black, and then strips of the skirt where backed with the plain non-see through black fabric as well. It has a small scooping neckline and long lace sleeves. Getting changed quickly into it, along with my strapless skin colour bra, I glance at myself in the mirror. The skirt slightly puffs out, although it is hard to tell if it is just the way the fabric sits, or if it has extra layers underneath. I look almost unrecognisable with my full face of makeup and hair, but I still look like Dani.

Smiling at my reflection, I hear the doors open, and I know that the night is about to start.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 67 17
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
446K 16.6K 41
Walking into an empty house is normal to me. I guess I got tired of saying 'I'm home' when nobody is home to reply. It wasn't always like this. I re...
2.5K 106 16
i am so out of my comfort zone right now. the loud music, thousands of people talking at the same time, low lighting and smell of different colognes...
249 51 9
BASED ON REAL LIFE STORIES... First, welcome to the first ever and most active support club! We whole heartedly welcome you amazing people who have...