Falling for the Boss

By rkhosp

After finishing university and diving straight into the real world, Natalie never expected to fall in love. S... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Part 3 of Falling for the Boss...
Part 4 of Falling for the Boss...
Part 5 of Falling for the Boss...
Part 6 of Falling for the Boss
Part 7 of Falling For The Boss
Part 8 of Falling For The Boss
Part 9 of Falling for the Boss
Part 11 of Falling for the Boss...
Part 12 of Falling for the Boss
Part 13 of Falling for the Boss

Part 10 of Falling for the Boss

10.6K 255 29
By rkhosp

Author's Note-

Finally, we have an update of Falling for the Boss... I still need to edit it, but I hope it is atleast readable! :) It is the last chapter, but in Mr. Matthew's POV, so if you can't remember what happened last time, I would recommend that you go back and read it. I think this is quite interesting, because you get to see Mr. Matthew's perspective of all of this situation in quite a lot of detail. It's quite long, over 2,000 words. I hope you enjoy it!

Harrington pushed open the door with a loud thud, and he heaved me in by my ear, the pulling force bringing a sharp pain to my ear. I still didn’t know why I was being dragged into the room. A minute earlier, Harrington had silently led me from my room to Natalie’s room, and here I was now.

I watched as Natalie rubbed her eyes sleepily. Our entranced had scared her awaked. She turned her eyes to Harrington. “What in the world are you doing here?” She asked him. Then, Harrington looked at with an unhappy frown on his brow.

“I am completely and utterly tired of this; it’s not going to go on for ANY longer. You two are going to sort out your differences or whatever is going wrong between you, and I don’t care how long it takes; you are not leaving this room until you are civil to each other,” He strongly announced, and with that, he let go of my ear after a tug, pushed me towards the bed that Natalie laid on, and slammed the door shut. There was a few rustling noises and then a pleased sound emitted from Harrington’s mouth.

I dusted a few invisible specks of dust off of my clothes before going to the closed door without looking at Natalie. “Oh, come on, old man. Stop being so childish!” I mumbled I messed with the doorknob trying to loosen it.

“It’s not going to work, Sir,” Harrington replied with a pleased tone.

“Harrington, open this door straight away, unless you want to get fired,” I barked at him harshly.

I heard a few clinks and clanks, and then Harrington stuck his head in with a content smile. “Yes, sir?”

“Let me out of this room; I don’t know if you are trying to play some little game or something, but it’s not funny. Let me out,” I said. My voice thundered, and I knew I was being very dramatic about this whole situation. There really was no reason for me to act like this, but I just didn’t want to be stuck in the presence of Natalie.

Harrington seemed unfazed by my strong tone. “No. I’m sorry, Sir, but you and Natalie need to sort this out,” He responded calmly.

“There is nothing to sort out, Harrington! Now, let me out, or I will fire you!” I said reluctantly.  I knew that I wouldn’t sack Harrington. He was almost like a father that I never had. My father was never the fatherly type. He was the man that cared more about his work than his own family. It was a rare occasion in my childhood if I got to see him.  

“Look, Mr. Matthews, I am tired of your attitude! I do not care one tiny bit that you are my boss, and you can fire me at any moment. Go ahead, if you must. I care about you and this young lady right here too much to see this happen. Now, go sit on that bed right now and talk to Natalie. Stop your whiney and cowardly attitude; it’s not favourable,” He boomed. I had never heard him like that, so angry, so mad. “What are you doing just staring at me, sir? Go fix this!” He closed the door with a final slam, and there was a silence.

I stood unmoving for about 2 minutes, thinking of a plan. I thought of one, and I began to back up to the wall directly behind the door. I knew that what I was about to do was very childish, but I couldn’t stand to be in the same room as Natalie. Her scent was already overpowering my senses. I tensed my muscles before releasing them and sprinting towards the door in front of me. When I was almost there, I rotated to my side, so that the blow went to my shoulder rather than my face. I crashed into the door, but nothing happened. It didn’t even budge. I backed up and repeated the process several times only to get the same ending again.

 “What are you doing?” Harrington asked from the door, the sound blocking out a bit of sound. He sounded flabbergasted, and I knew why. I was being extremely childish, but I had no choice.

“If you won’t let me out, I’ll get out myself,” I growled, but Harrington gave no response. I continued to hit the door a few more times, before a melodic voice interrupted my attempts.

 “Is it that bad being in a room with me?” Natalie asked, her gaze lowered to her lap. She sounded really hurt, and my annoyed frown instantly smoothed away. I shook my head in response, but she didn’t look happy with my answer.  “Well, if it isn’t, then why do you make up an excuse and leave the room as soon as you see me in your vicinity,” She questioned.

“Look, I don’t hate you, if that’s what you’re thinking,” I told her.

“Then why are you acting this way?” She asked, sounding honestly confused, and I couldn’t blame her.

“It’s just…” I trailed off not knowing what to say. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but I couldn’t lie. “It’s just,” I said again. “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“About what?” She said, seeming interested.

“You know what it? It doesn’t matter.” I said, trying to bring the conversation to an end.

“No, no, no, sir! Talk to Natalie.” Harrington called agitatedly from the hallway. I knew that I would have to tell her something. She would be able to tell that something was up after all of the fuss that Harrington had been making.

 “What is it? What’s causing you to avoid me? I have the right to know,” She demanded.

I looked around, unsure of what to do. Natalie gestured for me to sit down on the bed, so I did. I bit my lip, before I blurted out. “Have you ever loved someone, even though you shouldn’t?” She nodded and waited for me to speak again. “Well, that’s what I’ve been going through,” I told her honestly.  

“Oh…” She said. Her voice sounding…strangled?

“Yeah, it’s my sister’s best friend. She’s amazing, but she thinks of me as her brother, but I can’t help loving her, you know? That’s why I’ve been avoiding you. I just haven’t felt like talking to anyone.” I told her, covering up what I had been about to say.

Her face turned into a grimace momentarily before going neutral.   She looked up from her lap as I spoke, “So, don’t think I’m mad at you, okay? I’m just upset about my personal life. I didn’t mean to be a bad boss or make you feel like you were going to get fired.”

“Oh, ok! That makes sense, I guess…” She said, her voice chirpy and cheerful; again.

I smiled at her and patted her knee in a friendly manner. “I’m sorry again,” I told her in a friendly, but still professional voice.  I got up from the bed and knocked on the closed door. “Open up, old man?”  

Harrington opened the door with a sigh and stared disapprovingly at me. I walked pasted him and let him close the door.

He closed the door with a click and followed me down the stairs.  Harrington was audibly muttering unkind words. He continued with his muttering until we got to the kitchen, and then he just turned around and gave me a death stare.

“What is it, old man?” I said, jokingly.

He frowned at me. “It’s not funny. Wasn’t me locking you in a room a big enough hint that it was time for you to tell her the truth? You have to stop lying about your feelings, sir. Not only is it hurting you, it’s also hurting you. You just don’t realize these things,” He said with a frown.

“I can’t tell her the truth, Harrington. Why don’t you understand that? I’m her boss for God’s sake!” I shouted at him.

“Yes, I realize that you’re her boss, but you have feelings for her, sir! I think you might even love her, and your just hiding it. It’s so stupid. Why don’t you understand that?” He yelled back in return.

“Look, it’s my personal life. Don’t forget that your my employee too, Harrington,” I said, but instantly regretting it afterwards.

“Well, if that’s how you feel, that’s fine, sir. I know where my place is now,” He replied curtly.

“No, you know I didn’t mean that, Harrington… You’re like my dad, and you know that. I’m just getting frusterated. She’s my employee, and it isn’t right for me to have feelings for her. I mean, how would she feel if she knew that I felt like that? It would be so awkw told me. ard for her,” I said to him.

He shook his head as if I was being stupid. “I’m only trying to help, and I’m not trying to be pushy, but please, please go talk to her, sir. Just be honest. I trust you that you’ll gain something out of it,” Harrington urged me.

I sighed. “Okay, old man, but please don’t make me regret this…”

“Oh, you won’t, sir!” He said, obviously delighted.

I walked up to her room and paused outside her door for a minute trying to gain some composure. Once I felt calm enough, I knocked tentatively on the door.

 “Come in,” said Natalie softly.

I stuck my head inside the door that I was now slightly ajar.  “Can we talk?” She nodded. Her slim body was under the covers, and her hair had a slight bedhead look going on, but I only found it even more attractive than her normal hair. I closed the door behind me. “I don’t have a sister,” I told her, saying something that was easy to admit first, as I sat down on the bed at her feet.  

“That’s good to know,” She said, not really understanding what I was trying to say through the simple statement.

I sighed, feeling uncertain. “I lied to you. There is no best friend of my sister that I’m in love with, but I do like someone that I shouldn’t,” I told her in a rush. She kept quiet obviously waiting for me to explain everything, but I didn’t continue.  

“Are you in love with Harrington,” she asked with no hint of humour on my face.

I would have laughed if I wasn’t so nervous. My lips only pulling up slightly. “No, it’s not him. I’m afraid he isn’t my type, but this girl is my type; she’s great. She has a wonderful smile, when I’m not washing it away with hurt. I know she has a great personality, even though we haven’t gotten to know each other that well. She knows how to laugh, but she can be a bit shy at times. Her attitude is admiral; she’s not like a lot of girls these days, snotty and stuck up. I’m lucky enough to live right by her. You do know her; you two are exactly alike,” I told her quietly, vulnerability shining through my voice that normally didn’t show.  I could hear my voice shaking. “Do you know why you two are so alike,” I asked. She shook her head. “She is you. You are her. I like you, Natalie, not my sister’s best friend, just you.”

For an antagonizing minute she kept quiet, and I felt horrible. Oh, I knew I shouldn’t have said something. She must feel so uncomfortable about this. Finally, she spoke. Her voice a little louder than a whisper “I like this guy too… He’s an arrogant jerk that thinks he is really hot, but I don’t disagree with him. He is. His eyes, well, they’re gorgeous. I’m not going to lie about how I feel about him; I love him,” Her lips were upturned into a smile obviously feeling better with a secret being let out. I grinned at her, feeling so happy that we both liked each other, until I remember our situation, and I frowned.

“Natalie, I like you, but,” I said. Her smile disappeared as I said the ‘but’. “You’re my employee, so we can’t be together,” I finished. She didn’t say anything; she just nodded. We both didn’t know what to say. I waited for a few minutes to see if either of us could think of something to say, but we couldn’t. I left her room feeling an old weight lifted off my shoulders – the secret keeping of my feelings – but a new weight replacing them – not being able to have my feelings. I went to my room, ignoring Harrington’s waiting stance. I knew he wanted to know what had happened, but honestly, I couldn’t tell him. I was bewildered that she liked me back, but wretched that there was nothing I could do about it. I fell asleep thinking about Natalie that night, and I hoped that maybe she was thinking about me too…

Authour's Note #2-

What did we think of this chapter? Please tell me in a comment! If you liked it, vote. If you have some feedback, comment. Thank you guys SO much! I appreciate all of the support you've given me so far, and I need you to continue with this support. I'm #274 on the Watty Awards List, so let's make that go even further down! THANK YOU!

VOTE, COMMENT, LIKE, TWEET, ADD TO YOUR LIBRARY. (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169 1 14
Amanda's life is going alright. She has alot of friends, a boyfriend, her two parents, and a bunch of money. But the day her parents are arrested c...
1.2K 264 46
Young lady goes on a journey to self discovery amidst life's ups and downs. Through it all she finds that love could be found in the most unprecedent...
Sweet Tears By Lily_V

General Fiction

73 2 14
This is a story that everyone never imagined to happen. The story line couldn't be expected. A story of a girl with her friendship and family, everyt...
22 0 15
These four characters feel disconnected from their society's no matter which one they are in. The four don't understand what's happening to them unti...