A Love Worth Having

By caffrey1974

Saryah Williams finally has her dream job as a social worker for the military. During a visit home, she meets... More

Epilogue
Chapter 1 - Crazy Life
Chapter 2 - What it Really Means
Chapter 3 - A Hero's Welcome
Chapter 4 - First Impressions
Chapter 5 - Meeting
Chapter 6 -Surprises
Chapter 7 - A Friendship Begins
Chapter 8 - Quick Run
Chapter 9 - Pinkie Promise
Chapter 10 - Thinking and Thanking
Chapter 11 - Between Friends
Chapter 12 - Excitement
Chapter 13 - Bad becomes Worse
Chapter 14 - Facing the Past
Chapter 15 - Truth and Adversity
Chapter 16 - Going
Chapter 17 - Plans
Chapter 18 - Joey
Chapter 19 - Wedding
Chapter 20 - Part I - Fear of the Unknown
Chapter 20 - Part II - It's See You, Not Goodbye!
Chapter 21 - Feels like Forever
Chapter 22 - Turning Point
Chapter 24 - Recovery
Chapter 25 - Homeward Bound
Chapter 26 - Back in Your Arms Again!
Chapter 27 - Epilogue II

Chapter 23 - Getting ready

3.2K 166 6
By caffrey1974

Saryah harrumphed as the other three gushed over dresses and flowers. She wanted to tell Ben about the amazing song and the move God did in her heart. She decided to go back out and try to enjoy this part. She wanted Ben. She wanted Ben home; with her.

Her computer made a noise that she hadn’t heard in so long that she almost wasn’t sure what it was. Then it hit her like an arrow between her eyes.

 “BEN!” Saryah clicked answer on the video conference screen. Her hands went to her face and she tried with all her might to stop the tears that threatened to spill. She failed.

“OH BEN! Are you okay?” Her tears made her sound like an upset child.

“Yes, baby! I’m fine. Are you okay?” He raised an eyebrow.

“I am now. I have so much to tell you.” They both said at the same time.

“We’ve done this before. You go first this time.” Saryah began to tell him about hearing the song, praying, and giving her life back to God.

“That’s wonderful, baby! But, Saryah, you’re not gonna believe this!” And Ben told her about his experience.

“Ben! That’s … wow!” Happy tears streaked her features, and he started laughing.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” He knew he didn’t have much time.

“Ben, I’m so happy I can’t see straight.”

“And, I only had ten minutes, but I’ll call you soon. I love you! Keep smiling. It’s almost over!”

She smiled. “I love you too! I can’t believe what God’s done for us!”

“I know! See you soon, beautiful!” And his face was gone again. She smiled and walked out to the others, ready to face the future.

# # # # #

“How’s the Mrs., Russ?” Ben asked as he walked back to the meeting area.

“She’s doing great. Baby girl is growing fast. Kinda brought a tear to my eye, seeing her. I miss that little munchkin. Wait. While I’m thinking about it - here.” He handed Ben a camouflaged book. “As promised. I suggest the Gospel of John, but Philippians 4:13 is one of my key verses. It says, and this will probably sound familiar: ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.’ The other is Romans 8:37: ‘We are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.’ Both have brought me through more battles, physical and spiritual, than I can ever tell you. Actually, just read all of Romans 8. It’ll encourage you.”

“Thanks, man. OH!” Ben’s eyes lit up when he thought about telling Russ about his conversation with Saryah. “You’ll never believe this. Last night, for us anyway, my fiancée was listening to the radio and heard the same song you sang. She gave her life back to God, probably about the same time I did. Is that crazy or what?”

“Nope!” He said with a deep chuckle. “That’s not crazy! That’s the God I serve! He will do things ‘Exceeding abundantly above what we can ask or even think.’ That includes saving both of you at the same time on opposite ends of the planet. He’s just that awesome! I gotta go! Talk to ya soon!” He high-fived, and then hugged Ben, ending in a back-slapping contest of sorts, before walking off to his destination.

Ben returned to his “office” to get some work done. He couldn’t stop smiling.

# # # # #

The next few weeks flew past faster than the first half of the deployment. Before she knew it, it was time for redeployment. Saryah had been so busy with wedding plans and work that she had little time to spend thinking about Ben and how long he’d been gone. She knew it was about to be crazier than before.

One thing she was thankful for was the time she found to get back to church. She’d found military families there and support in a way she didn’t think was available. A few of the ladies from Ben’s unit were part of it, bringing her a new and greater level of comfort.

Her phone rang, interrupting her thoughts and reminding her she was supposed to be getting notes down before the end of the day.

“Saryah Williams.” If it had been her cell, she might have only said hello. She suddenly wished the office phones had caller I.D.

“Hi! This is Caroline Russell from the family group?” She also happened to be one of the ladies at Saryah’s new church.

“Hi. How are you?”

“I’m doing well. Thanks for asking. I was told to call you about the events taking place this week.” Caroline sounded excited, and Saryah’s heart beat a little faster at the idea of Ben coming home.

“Okay. You’ve got me excited now. What’s the news?” Saryah said, barely able to sit in her chair.

“We have a group getting together to make signs, get the barracks ready, and making baskets for the single guys. My question is: Will SSG Campbell need any of this?”

“Well, his folks are coming, as are mine, and we’ll probably take him out and all of that. But, we’re not getting married until September, so he does need a room ready. I think he’ll appreciate it. So, when do they want to do all of this?”

“Saturday at 10, until we’re done. Oh, and we have a date. But, they can only announce it in person. Sorry.” Saryah felt her heart drop a little, but was glad that it was Wednesday. She’d only have to wait a couple of days.

“Thanks so much Caroline. See you Saturday.” Saryah and Melanie hung up and Saryah bounced in her chair and clapped for the excitement. She finished her notes, grabbed her things, and almost ran out of the office.

# # # # #

“Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen: Here’s the bottom line. We have two weeks to get this stuff wrapped up. The replacements come in tomorrow. I’ve got assignments posted. Let’s get this done. We’ll be home in two weeks.” The formation broke with a “HOOAH” and they all went their separate ways.

“Russ.” Ben caught up to his friend, and Brother, as they went about their duties. “I have questions. Obviously, now isn’t the time to ask them, but if you get a spare hour today, can we chat?”

“Any time, my brother; any time at all. I figured you’d have some. You’ve come a long way. How about we sit down after chow tonight?” He offered, wondering what had Campbell so worried. He figured he’d find out soon enough.

Ben went on to his office to check and store any unnecessary gear. This was the wind down. They wouldn’t go on any more missions after Friday. From then on, it would only be guard duty and packing up. Fortunately, they didn’t have as much to take back as a group who’d stayed for a year. Nothing major; gear mostly. The vehicles would stay for the next group, as they’d arrived just after this deployment started. His office would take some time to dismantle, as his equipment was specialized for him. They had needed his expertise after all, and it had saved lives. The next guy would have his own stuff.

Ben sent Saryah a quick e-mail before finishing up for the morning. He’d try to get on the computer and catch her before she went to sleep. She was a night owl, anyway, so he knew she’d be up.

The lines for the computers were exceptionally long. Ben groaned and went back to his office. He wanted more than anything to see her face. As he entered his office, a familiar sound reminded him that he had e-mails and messages to answer.

Sirens started going off just before he heard a whistle and a loud explosion. Ben fell to the floor as the air knocked out of his lungs.

“What was that?” He ran to the door, looking out but not going out in case another attack happened. It was the media room he’d just left; up in smoke, and flame. People, alive and dead, were everywhere. Ben couldn’t catch his breath again to save his life. The memories from his last deployment flooded in, blinding him as remembered pain from his own accident took over his body. Sweat poured from him and blood pumped so loudly in his ears he couldn’t hear anything.

Suddenly, he felt a jolt in the innermost part of his being; something supernatural. “Pull yourself together, Campbell.” Shaking his brain free of the cobwebs, he ran towards the disaster, praying as he ran.

# # # # #

Saryah couldn’t sleep. She tried everything: Reading both her book and her Bible, watching television, listening to music. She even tried getting a snack, thinking that would help.

Her mind went back to Ben’s e-mail. It had said that he would be home sooner than planned. She was excited. Maybe that was the reason she couldn’t sleep. She turned on the news. Then she remembered someone telling her not to watch it. She watched anyway.

Breaking News: Bombing in Kandahar Province.

That was all it said. No more information. She prayed silently for Ben and everyone else there. Bombings there were pretty common and had been since the initial occupation in Afghanistan. She had never worried over that particular region of the world until April. Her concerns came with the after-effects of the returning wounded. Now, Saryah felt like her heart had been ripped right out of her chest. She prayed Ben would contact her soon. For the first time in months, she cried herself to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.1K 586 24
In everyone's life, there is always a moment that changes everything drastically. Maybe you meet the love of your life. Maybe you lose someone dear...
Ours By jyka

Fanfiction

10K 564 13
the story of an army surgeon named ben warren and a surgical resident named miranda bailey. ×+×+×+× "Don't you worry your pretty little mind, People...
67.9K 3.9K 19
(EDITING) This is a Curvy Community Romance: #DISCLOSURE #CelebrateBlackStories #Community #Curvy #EyesLipsFierce After a life-changing experienc...
61.9K 12.4K 44
Alyssa LeClerc seemed to have a perfect life. She was married to her college sweetheart and quickly started a family. She has always been driven to...