Ranger [ON HOLD]

By T-Arth

-- Highest Rank: #35 in Paranormal -- "Have you ever felt like a story seems to just suck you in? Like yo... More

Copyright Warning
Prologue
Chapter One - Stereotypes and Gunpowder
Chapter Two - Vortex of Words
Chapter Three - Landing Storm
Chapter Four - Fractures and Bruises
Chapter Five - Heart Monitors Suck
Chapter Six - Book Logic
Chapter Seven - Bruises
Chapter Eight - The Ghoul
Chapter Nine - Mirror Reveal
Chapter Ten - Vision of Death
Chapter Eleven - ibuprofen and Politicians
Chapter Twelve - Sendra
Chapter Thirteen - Strange Deeds
Chapter Fourteen - Von
Chapter Sixteen - Teenage Bookworm Desires
Chapter Seventeen - Wide Awake
Chapter Eighteen - Better Left Unsaid
Chapter Nineteen - A Familiar Face
Chapter Twenty - A Shocking Development
Chapter Twenty-one - Who is She?
Chapter Twenty-two - This is Real
Chapter Twenty-three - How and Why
Chapter Twenty-four - Take Care
Chapter Twenty-five - Chin Up
Chapter Twenty-six - Not My Forte

Chapter Fifteen - Homestead

1.2K 118 9
By T-Arth

Though I was tired, it didn't stop me from gazing about curiously as my eyes peeked open. I had known almost immediately when we entered the protective seals; the sight of Ethan and Ranger visibly relaxing had given me enough of a sign.

I could see it, hidden in a forest of pine.

We had turned off the main road twenty minutes ago, and onto a hard packed dirt way. The house was neither large nor small. The two story wooden building showed signs of aging, but seemed none the less sturdy despite the years. The deck was crumbling just slightly on the edges, but the steps looked brand new as though they had been recently replaced. The shutters on the windows were sealed tight. The plants around it seemed to have taken to the fertile soil well, and crawled along the sides of the chipped white paint as though they were meant to be there in the first place.

In all honesty it was beautiful to see.

As Ranger drove along the dirt driveway, I found myself feeling nervous. Though I figured it was due to the sudden changes. It could have also been due to the recent events catching up to me, or the fact that I was stepping into The Hunters HQ... More or less. They didn't really have anything official like that. Just enough communication to ask for aid when it was needed.

At least from what I had read.

I really had to not rely on that information - in this world it would probably get me killed.

I gave myself a small mental smack in the face as Ethan stepped out and allowed him self a small groan of relief as he stretched. In moments my seat belt was un-clicked, and I was pushing the door open. While my legs still felt wobbly, I managed to stand and stretch my sore limbs. It felt good to stand, though I knew walking would be painful once the ibuprofen wore off.

In a few moments Ethan was beside me, ever helpful as he offered me his arm to hold onto while I steadied myself. But it was the thump of heavy footsteps that had me looking up, rather than Ranger as he spoke out a short greeting.

My eyes traveled up, along the dirt walkway, and up further until I saw it. Or rather, him.

A great bear of a man. Six foot five at least, as tall as Ranger. And somehow at the same time bigger. Those dark eyes that locked on my form were not cold, but warm. And for a small moment, I thought of my own father.

And when he comes home... and I wont be there...

Yet those thoughts were brushed away as the giant of a man stopped in front of me, and I got a good look at him. He was muscled, and thick around the middle. But not in a way to suggest he was fat. If anything, he reminded me of a living rock. Thick mustache and all.

"A little flower!" His voice boomed like thunder, and I jumped back in a reflex, eyes wide. But I didn't feel threatened, more amused and warm. This was Von... And he could be trusted, I knew this already. 

And so, without any hesitation I gave him a bright smile, flashing the pearly whites. From anyone that had been mentioned in the story, Von had been described more like a puppy than a violent man he looked to be.

"Hello Von." My voice seemed oddly quiet compared to his. As though he was a large landslide, and I was just a pebble falling into a lake.

He grinned, and came to grasp my hand in surprisingly gentle hands. "Did these knuckle 'eads give ya trouble?"

I shook my head and he nodded, shooting the boys a look I couldn't decipher. And I wasn't given too much time for it either as a large hand came around my arm, though not roughly. 

They seemed to like dragging me around like that.

"I got a room set up for ya, they wont be botherin' ya too much."

I could feel Ranger and Ethan's eyes on my back, as the cheery giant began to lead (drag) me up the steps like a small child that needed help.

Yet the sudden worry that rolled through me was from the suspicion I felt in their gazes.

The two male's relocated to the single room library on the east side of the house, Von staying with Ella to get her further acquainted with her living quarters for the time being. They however, had work to do. And unfortunately, that work required a lot of brushing up on their knowledge.

The library was simple, lined with books from generations of Hunters and religious testaments gathered throughout Von's life and their own travels. It was darkened and colored a warm but faded brown in decor. A sturdy couch sat in the middle of the room just before the fireplace, an overstuffed armchair sat closer to the window. The only source of light in the room was a tall lamp in the farthest corner, casting a dim glow. The bulb had needed replacing weeks ago.

Ethan moved right to the stack of books on the long coffee table, glancing through them for labels and indexes. Papers crinkled and leather spines crackled from years of stillness, and the search began.

"There isn't much to go on..." Ethan murmured, setting a book aside to flip through the one next to it and repeat the process. "Have we tried finding a prophecy? The good and bad ones might show us something..."

Nodding in short agreement, Ranger gravitated over to the farthest bookshelf from the door. He would work his way toward it from there. First would be to scan the sections and titles of each book. Some were labeled clearly, some he knew the contents of almost to the letter, but there were always some that he hadn't seen or gone through.

Their biggest worry for the moment would be time. Whatever she was - distantly or not - and whomever she was sent by wouldn't wait for them to figure it out.

Von would most likely have a better insight after testing the girl for any non-human traits. With any luck he would at least give a lead, but the chances of him knowing who tossed her from the sky would be slim to none.

For hours they worked in silence, sorting through books and papers. His mind ran through every possible lore he had heard, but the only thing that could seem to fit was hardly a solid lead. This didn't stop him from sharing his thoughts an hour later, glancing through another leather backed book in hopes to find just a tad more information on his proposal. Ethan beat him to the punch in actually voicing the idea.

"She could be an Angel... the whole, beam of white light thing seems to be pretty consistent in the stories."

It would have seemed logical, if not for a few things. The fact that Angels were not real, being at the top of the list.

"Well hasn't every book we have ever read also say Angels couldn't bleed?" And he had certainly seen her blood as well. The landing she made also provided a glimpse to the fractured bones under her skin. He was positive an Angel wouldn't pass out from the pain of a broken hand.

"She could be Jesus... maybe he decided to be a chick this time." He wasn't sure what was worse in this statement; the fact that Ethan said it, or the fact that he didn't seem to be joking.

"I have a feeling you're wrong on that."

"Ah sorry, but ya might not find out how she got here for a time."

The two men turned, raising an eyebrow in question toward the giant of a man crowding the doorway, seeming somewhat out of place wearing a batter stained apron whilst holding cookie tray in his thick hands. A pair of gaudy yellow oven mitts were jammed over his fingers.

"Every test... spot clean...." He spoke gruffly, all but dropping the tray onto a pile of books. The scent of chocolate chips wafted over, and while Ranger had restraint Ethan had none. Four cookies were snatched up and promptly shoved into his mouth.

"Not a demon, nor a shifter, gremlin, Vamp, fae, or anythin' else from my own country." The large man sat down in the large chair, tearing off the apron as he did so. The wood creaked under his weight.

"So human."

"So t'would seem..."

Ethan all but tossed the book in his hands down, a scowl covering his face. He ran a hand over his hair, as though to tug strands that had never been long enough to pull.

"So we're dead stuck... where is she?"

"Bed. Should'a been more careful. Looked near close to fainting when she got here..." The large man grumbled, reaching over to swat Ethan's' hand from taking his sixth cookie. "Almost sent her off, but had to run the tests..."

"And the cookies were the outcome?"

"She wanted to do somethin' for ya. For saving her life."

Ranger was quickly growing impatient with the conversation, though the scent of the cookies dulled his irritation slightly.

His questions weren't answered, and the damn she-devil in his head was doing nothing to help. Just as well as the two men before him. Did they want to waste time? Sendra's magic could only protect them from so much.

"Regardless, we need to get to work. Von, check on south-eastern omens and rituals. Ethan, north-eastern omens."

Ethan gave a sigh, watching Ranger turn back to the shelf and withdraw yet another book from its spot. He could feel the accusing gaze his friend gave him, having stated nothing on his own workload.

"And you'll do what?"

The tall blond snatched a cookie from the tray, tapping it with his index finger as he strode out of the room. Von rose to protest, but he was already up the stairs by the time they got their answer.

"Have a chat with our guest."

x-x-x

An extra update!

There is a picture of the house above, if you feel you wanted more than just a description.

This chapter is dedicated to those who lost their lives during, lost a loved one, or was harmed in any other way due to the 9/11 attacks. Homestead - because we all have our home. Be it the country, state, town, or even that small ice cream shop down the street. Lets make this a day about embracing home for those who cannot return.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 58.5K 35
Highest Ranking #6 for Demon category Highest Ranking #7 for the witches category Highest Ranking #11 for Gods category Highest Ranking #37 for Dom...
38.8M 2M 172
Highest Rankings: #1 Vampire #1 Paranormal #1 Fantasy #1 Supernatural #1 Action #1 Dragon #5 Romance #5 Wattpad's AD App 100 MOST READ LIST! Her body...
207K 11.3K 44
Even those who are believed to be lost can find their path changed by fate. . . Highest rankings: #1 in werewolf #1 in paranormal romance #80 in Rom...
3.1M 106K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...