Fighting For Him

Door Bella-234

Scarlett is your average eighteen year old. Well average eighteen year old shifter anyway. She has just turne... Meer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
What comes next.....
My Decision
Epilogue

Chapter 13

12.6K 254 23
Door Bella-234

“Scarlett listen to me please.”

“Dad you are literally in my head, I couldn’t not hear you even if I wanted to.”

“Very funny, now pay attention. Today we are going to work on something slightly different and you are going to be using muscles you didn’t even know existed.” I groan quietly but not quietly enough for someone with a wolf’s hearing.

“Scarlett, this is serious, this could save your life.” He growls at me and flicks me with his tail as he passes. “Now watch.” With the agility and speed of a wolf half his age my dad runs at full sprint and propels himself at the tree that Liam was leaning against just last week, then with what seems like ease and the sound of claws on wood he scrambles up into the foliage and I lose sight of him amongst the leaves and branches. “Your turn.” Comes his voice inside my head. I lower my front half to the floor and asses the tree before me, then with a shrug I straighten my posture and attempt to copy my dad by running full pelt, as I get to where the roots start to protrude from the earth I fling myself into the air and sink my claws into the bark, then with a yelp of surprise I fall back towards the ground and land in a heap of dust at the base of the tree. My dad’s laughter echoes in my head. “Nice Try.”

I right myself and get back to my feet, when I look up I am just in time to see my dad jump of the branch he had been sitting on and land back on his four paws.

What no backflip?” I ask sarcastically. “How did you do that?” I quickly add on the end in awe of my father.

“Fighting isn’t the only thing you need to know, this is a tactic that can be used for many an occasion. Not many people learn the art of climbing trees as humans let alone wolves and when it comes to it they assume that it is an easy task, which as you have just discovered, it isn’t. This is a tactic I teach my guys and this is why they are the best. Once up in a tree you have the height advantage, the advantage of surprise, a hiding place if it is needed or even a look out post. Yet, for reasons I can’t grasp, nobody uses this resource to its full advantage. You will.” He pads away from the tree so he once again has the room for a run up and follow him. “The secret is not to stop moving until you are on a branch. Once the momentum stops gravity will pull you back down. Don’t use your claws to dig into the bark, that’ll slow you down, use your claws to catch on the rough surface and propel you upwards. Once you are on the tree, just like you would on the ground, run.” And he does, disappearing once again up into the tree.

Ouch, I hit the floor again but I jump back to my feet and shake the dirt out of fur. Quickly I back up so I have room to gain some speed. Without thinking I launch myself at the tree and get half way up before gravity catches up with me and pulls me back down, this time I have the height to spin myself around in the air and land on my paws. I growl low in my chest, this is getting annoying. I position myself to have another go.

“Scar it’s time to call it a day now.” My dad calls from the backdoor. He had ended training hours ago but I told him I wanted to continue, he’d left me at it and not having an audience, even if it was just him, had made it easier. I had gotten the hang of it, sort of, and out of five attempts I could climb the tree on about three of them, but that wasn’t good enough for me I wanted it to be perfect. I whine back at him unable to talk to him whilst he’s human and I’m wolf. “Your one on one with Liam is in an hour.” Is his reply, growling low again I throw myself at the tree. The muscles in my legs ache from over exertion and I’m sure I have broken a claw but I push on, dad’s instructions sit in the front of my mind and I force my limbs to follow my orders only stopping when I am lying, panting, on a branch high above the ground.

With my rucksack in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other I struggle to close my front door and it takes some adjusting to get it done. When I get to the end of my drive a sleek silver Range Rover, that sort of makes me think of a metal shark, is purring in wait. I stumble up to it and a guy in all black jumps out the front passenger seat to open the backdoor for me.

“Thank you.” I say as I throw my bag in and then hoist myself into the large metal machine.

“You’re welcome Miss.” He jumps back into the passenger seat and the driver starts the engine. On further inspection I realise that I know the driver.

“Good evening Harry.” I say in way of a greeting.

“Good evening Miss Evans.” I blush slightly unused to the formality.

“Call me Scarlett please.” I say uncomfortably.

“Scarlett.” He says gently and nods his head, his eyes never leaving the road.

“Is he in a good mood today?” I whisper, not knowing if a) I should really ask that question or b) if I really want to know the answer.

“As good as he’s been in a while Miss… Scarlett.” I sigh in relief.

“That’s good then.” I smile slightly before lapsing into silence.

As I step out onto the driveway of the Pack House for the second time this week I am reminded of how beautiful it is, especially with the sun setting behind it, but I am not as mesmerized as last time since I now know what to expect. Harry hands me rucksack and my bottle of wine.

“Are you of age to be drinking this?” He says in a serious voice whilst checking out the golden liquid inside the bottle, there is a slight twitch at the corner of his lips, which is the only indication that he’s messing with me. I growl playfully at him.

“You know full well that I am, I wouldn’t have to be here if I was underage.” I say and jump for the bottle that he quickly whisks away from me and holds it up in the air so it is just out of my grasp.

“I may have to see some I.D. Miss Evans.” He laughs before handing the bottle back to me. Any negative thoughts I had previously held for Harry disappear, as he smiles playfully at me. He’s not as stiff as he seems.

“Harry are you done flirting with the girl or would you like more time with her?” Liam’s voice is as cold and as hard as stone and it causes me to blush and my spine to go rigid. I didn’t want to get anyone into trouble and I try to convey this to Harry with my eyes, he gives me a small smile before turning to the grumpy alpha to be.

“Fuck off Liam.” The shock I’m feeling must be obvious but Harry just continues “And stop being such an idiot, or you will be driving yourself to and from this party tonight.” With another parting smile, Harry jumps back behind the wheel of the Range Rover and disappears around the side of the house with a loud crunch of stone, presumably towards a garage filled with expensive cars, the relationship between these two guys baffles me.

“Well that was rude.” I say to Liam who is still stood by the door, I try to convey the same cold indifference he showed Harry but I don’t have much practice at it and his general appearance makes me pause so I can take him in. He is in a pair of dark jeans and a white shirt, his hair is dark and hangs limp around his face weighed down by water, he must have just gotten out of the shower.

“You’re here to see me, he should know his place.” I walk up to join him on the top step, I marvel at the fact that I am no longer timid in Liam’s presence, but then I haven’t been since I stood up to him at the party, the only time he throws me off balance is when he is actually being nice.

“Actually, I’m here because I have to be. So shall we get this thing started?” With a grunt he turns and beings to lead me through the house towards his private quarters.

“You’re not wearing that to party are you?” He says without even looking back at me, his comment makes me angry but even so I self-consciously tug the hem of my dark blue jumper further down my legs in an attempt to cover the paint stain I know is on my faded jeans, I’m also suddenly extremely aware of my hair messily piled on top of my head with an assortment of grips.

“Don’t be stupid.” I bite back with more venom then necessary. “I have a change of clothes.” He makes a grunt of some sort which I translate as acceptance as he opens the door to his lounge/ kitchen room.

“Welcome back to the lair.” He says smugly, as I walk to the centre of the room to reacquaint myself with the layout, he must spend most of his time in here.

“Lair?” A shiver travels up my spin

“Yep, that’s what we call it.” He doesn’t make any move to explain further.

“Is there a story behind that?”

“Yeah, but that’s for another time.” He grins at me. “Today, you are going to answer my questions.”

“You have questions?”

“Surely you haven’t forgotten already, you’re going to answer all of the questions you made me answer last time you were here.”

“First, I didn’t make you do anything, I doubt anyone could.” He scoffs, I raise an eyebrow but continue, mentally logging it as a conversation for a later date. “Second, can you even remember those questions?”

“Every one.” His green eyes pierce holes into mine.

“Fine.” I reply, gracefully folding myself up into the one armchair in the room, forcing him to take one of the sofas and making sure that he can’t get too close to me, “But first I want a drink… if that’s okay.” I feel my face flush red at my bold words and quickly amend them. “I have a bottle of wine so just a glass would be great.” He smiles again and turns away from me towards the kitchen. “Oh, and a bottle opener if you have one.” I watch him as he moves elegantly around the small space of kitchen, first pulling out two glass flutes from the cupboard and then a bottle out of the fridge, then he prowls back towards me, I say prowls because he looks every bit the predator that a wolf is.

“Save your wine for the party, this is already chilled anyway.” He shrugs nonchalantly; pops the cork on the bottle and pours the bubbly liquid without spilling a drop.

“Champagne?” I question quietly. He nods his head and hands me a glass, for a fraction of a second he is extremely close, before taking a few steps back and reclining into the corner of the sofa, his natural scent lingers in the air around me, no shifter I know wears perfume or cologne it is too strong for our sensitive noses, but Liam smells really good without it, there is the subtle hint of the outdoors, the tanginess of his soap and then under all that a male muskiness that makes me forget where I am for a moment, I have to shake my head to regain my composer. I can’t help but think that he smells nothing like Hunter, who always carries a sweetness with him, then I have to push the thought away because thinking about the lack of Hunter in my life right now is too sad.

I turn my attention back to the guy who is currently sitting in front of me, his eyes locked on to my face like he is waiting for me to say something, one arm lying on the armrest the other across the back of the sofa his legs out in front of him, a perfect picture of relaxation. I can’t help breaking the silence, silence makes me nervous. “Well you sure are well equipped.” I regret my sentence as soon as it slips past my lips his eyebrows shoot up into his hairline and I quickly have to get out the rest of my sentence practically tripping over the words as I do. “Your kitchen I mean… is there anything you don’t have in there?” He smiles, not a carefree smile but a knowing, hidden secret smile that sends goose bumps up my arms.

“I think if you were so inclined as to take a look you wouldn’t find me wanting for anything.” I have no reply to that, I don’t know if that sentence was meant to be an innuendo or not, instead I stare at my drink, I think I’d rather sit in silence then carry on along that trail of conversation. “Ready then?” He asks with yet another grin, minus back out by the car, he is very smiley this evening.

“As I’ll ever be.” I retort and take a big swig of the cool, sparkly liquid, it tastes crisp and the bubbles tickle my tongue.

“Birthday?”

“7th May ’93.”

“So you’re eighteen, and a new eighteen” I nod my head, he frowns but continues. “Star sign?”

“Taurus.”

“Favourite colour?”

“Green.”

“Why?”

“I didn’t ask you that question.”

“No, but you gave me the same answer I gave you, which would actually explain why you smirked at me when I gave my answer, but I want to know your reasoning. For all I know you just want to get in my good books.”

“I don’t think I could ever find myself in your good books, we’re too different.” He frowns and quickly I resort back to his question scolding myself for letting my inner thoughts out in front of him. I pause but only for a second, this is something I have actually considered quite a lot. “Because green is one of the only colours that you can see such an array of shades in one place. If you go out into the woods all the different greens that are on offer are amazing, there are so many and yet each one is unique.” He just sits staring at me for a while, long enough for me to look down at my hands that are knotted in my lap around the stem of my wine flute and start to fidget, his face gives nothing away.

“Favourite food?” I jerk my head up and although he seems to have just moved on to the next subject the left side of his mouth is quirked up into a half smile, so I figure I said something right... or he’s laughing at me.

“Lasagne.”

“Movie?”

“Beauty and the Beast.” He snorts. “Don’t go dissing Disney or I will walk straight out that door, I don’t care what Harry will report back to your dad.” He laughs, it’s a real laugh that comes from deep within, and seems to be contagious as I join in too.

Once he has regained his composure he moves onto question number five. “TV. show?”

“True Blood.” This is another answer he isn’t a fan of.

“Please tell me you don’t watch it for that beefed up wolf?”

“Joe? I don’t see why I shouldn’t  he is extremely hot.” I retort in the defence of my TV. show. “I also watch if for Eric… the blonde vampire.” I clarify.

“Typical girl.” He sighs.

“Ouch I’m hurt.” I mock. “I read the books first and the show is alright. Ask your next question oh mighty Alpha.”

He growls playfully at me which catches me by surprise. “Middle name?”

“Jane.” I say and can instantly feel the blush rise on my cheeks.

“Scarlett Jane Evans.” My names rolls of his tongue and for the second time since I entered the room a shiver travels down my spine, only this time it’s for a completely different reason.

“Band?” This question takes me a little longer to answer.

“Imagine Dragons.”

“Never heard of them.” He says and once again I feel the need to jump into the defence of my choice.

“Look them up, you won’t be sorry.” I shrug and he nods at me with what seems like intrigue in his eyes.

“Holiday destination?”

“Greece.”

“Sport.”

“I don’t really have one but I do like to run.”

“Run? Like competitively?”

“No, just run.”

“Human or wolf?”

“Both, mainly human though. Me, my Ipod, a path. No rules, no grumpy competitors, no one judging you. Just calm, clear my head, uncomplicated running.” As I say that I realise how long it’s been since I actually went for a run, before the pack meeting to announce the tournament that’s for sure. As soon as that registers I feel a pang of longing and vow to make the time to do it again.

“Ready for the last question?” I nod my head and place my empty champagne flute on the coffee table in front of me, in what seems to be an automatic response he jumps up to fill it, I don’t stop him.

“Where is your favourite place to be?” Minus his few extra questions he had recited the list I had asked him in perfect order, he must have paid more attention to me than he had let on.

“Outside, on a cloudless night, under a full moon.” I smile and I know that it is wistful. Although I was outside on the night of the last full moon I wasn’t able to appreciate it, I won’t be able to next time either.

“I guess this tournament sort of messes that up for you then.” His tone is serious and I look up at him in an attempt to read his expression, it’s like he’s reading my mind and I don’t know what to say, I nod my head and take another sip of my drink. The silence stretches between us in which the only sounds I can hear is our breathing, my own heartbeat and the sound of the bubbles popping in my glass. “Shall I show you where the bathroom is? You can get changed in there.” I nod my head and follow Liam, rucksack in tow, as he gets to his feet. We leave the ‘lair’ and cross the hallway to the door diagonally to the left where Liam throws open the door and steps inside.

The room is a mixture of beige and dark brown tile, which cover the floor and also the walls, to the left a vanity desk takes up the width of the wall with dark wooden cupboard doors and a stone counter top, it is occupied by two deep sinks, set in front of a mirror, and a number of different hair products. To the right is a toilet and also a shower encased in floor to ceiling glass walls big enough for about four people to stand in, there is a towel rack on the far wall which has a number of different sized, thick, fluffy, dark green towels, wrapped neatly around its heated metal frame but the most impressive part is the swimming pool like bath that sits proudly in the middle of the room on its own pedestal, the basin itself is set up on three steps that lead up to it from all angles but the bath itself is sunken into the  floor so you have to step down into it. The shiny white acrylic tub shines in the low glow of the lights set around the edge of the room and I get a strong urge to submerge myself in hot water scented with one of the many bottles gathered on one edge of the top step.

“Well this is certainly impressive.” I say instead of jumping into the empty tub like I long to do.

“Yeah I like it to, but then again I did design it.” He shrugs as he takes in the room. “I wanted it to be a place of complete relaxation.” I nod in understanding, his logic makes perfect sense to me. “So come back to the lair when you’re done and we’ll get going.” I nod in understanding and Liam backs out of the room closing the door behind him and I quickly flick the lock, there is a muffled laugh from the other side of the door but I ignore it and start unpacking my rucksack.

The last thing I have to do is sort my hair out, I pull down the hem of my dress and then have to pull the whole thing up again at the risk of showing too much up top. I really hadn’t though this purchase through, I blame the girls their reactions got me all excited about the dress but now that I see it again, and now that I am in Liam’s bathroom with no otheroptions, I just feel like… well like a slut. The dress is electric blue, strapless and has the appearance of a piece of cloth being wrapped around me, it even has some blue diamante decoration in some of the folds, but it stops mid-thigh, It’s way too short but what else can I do now? Go to the party in my jeans? Not likely.

I don’t even have to think of the options; too much leg is way better than getting my boobs out in front of a load of classmates and strangers.

Sighing I turn my attention to my hair, which is still piled on the top of my head. One by one I begin to pull out the hair clips and dark brown waves begin to fall to the sides of my head until I am framed by a mass of shiny brown locks. Just to give me more time to myself I apply yet another layer of mascara to my already thick black eyelashes and a layer of blue powder to my eyelids and nearly smudge the whole thing when there is a knock at the door.

“Are you okay? You haven’t fallen in the bath and knocked yourself out have you? I don’t have to break down the door do I?” His voice is muffled through the wood which means that the rooms are pretty much soundproofed, I’m glad to know that Liam’s sense of humour is still intact.

“No I’m fine, I’m just putting my stuff back in my bag, I’ll be out in a second.” He doesn’t reply and I don’t hear him leave but I have a feeling he isn’t the kind to hang around, he’ll wait for me to go back to him. I slip into my way too high silver heels and clip my Tiffany necklace around my neck so that the silver heart nestles at the base of my throat. Done. I don’t look so bad and as long as I keep an eye on my dress my dignity will stay in tacked. With one last lingering look at the bathtub I don my rucksack over one shoulder, take a deep breath and leave the bathroom.

The hallways is empty but I didn’t expect much else, I am glad that there is a door separating this wing from the rest of the house I want to try and get out of here without the rest of the alpha family seeing me in so little clothing. It’s silly I know, as wolves we grow up seeing members of our pack naked… you can’t shift with clothes on, unless you have enough money to constantly restock your wardrobe, but these are the Alphas and whilst naked is natural, provocative clothing is not and I don’t want people to start thinking that I am one of those girls that gets around or thrives of the attention of leering men, I can’t help but wish I was pre-drinking with the girls like usual.

The four doors in the corridor are an exact copy of each other and the only reason I manage to get the right one is because it is partially open and the sound of music floats out of the crack in the door. Pushing the door open it soundlessly glides across the carpet, I spot Liam in the kitchen area, he has his back to me as he lifts something out of the fridge.

“What time do you want to leave?” I ask placing my bag on the sofa, I don’t take my eyes of his broad back which is now wrapped in black material. If I wasn’t watching I wouldn’t have noticed the sudden tension in his shoulders as they bunched in a jerky movement before relaxing again, I had surprised him.

“As soon as we have finished at least half a bottle of…” He turns around and promptly stops talking as he looks at me. His gaze burns a trail over my body from my face down my body and back again. I don’t squirm this time I’m getting used to being assessed, especially by Liam, instead I attempt to get his attention back on the task at hand.

“Bottle of what?” I’m not drunk by any means. I’m not even really tipsy. Due to our wolf-like metabolism alcohol is burned off extremely quickly only something of really high percentage can have any kind of lasting effect. He blinks at me like I have grown another head.

“Erm… this.” He puts the bottle on the kitchen counter, he stands on the kitchen side of it and I take a seat on a stool on the opposite side, keeping the granite top between us.

“What is it?” If I didn’t know that it was alcohol I would have assumed it was water.

Devil Springs Vodka” He says with a grin. “Flown over from America. Its 80 per cent alcohol, it is supposed to be watered down since it could literally kill a person but I’ve found that we can drink it like the regular 37 per cent stuff and the effects actually last a couple of hours.” I grimace.

“Are you trying to get me drunk Mr. Alpha?” I joke as he pours out two measures into iced shot glasses and hands one to me.

“You and me both, how else will we survive this party?” He clinks his glass against mine and promptly throws back the clear liquid. I sniff the contents but like vodka should be it is odourless. I shrug my shoulders to myself and follow his lead. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo party time :). I love a good party. Thanks for reading yet another chapter. I'm starting to get worried that i am upolading these faster then i am writing the story. As always voting and commenting is hugely appreciated and if anyone has any questions i'd be happy to answer them. 

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

2.3K 387 36
CANILLE SCARLETT is just your average teenager if I may assume, straight A's, quiet, shy but still known by everyone But what happens when your perf...
90.8K 3.2K 34
Scarlett used to be your average eighteen year old. Average eighteen year old shifter anyway. Last summer changed all that and death can change a per...
3.7K 491 63
JAREK She's an abomination-a constant thorn in my side. She has no right to be sheltered so closely by my mother and father, the alpha and luna of th...
640 11 24
Scarlett Watts, a mildly shy yet outgoing 18 year old girl. Some days she's scared of her own shadow, and others she's the storm in the calm. She's l...